Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Complaining about the other foreigners in Japan is also a peak foreigner in Japan experience, complaining about new people ruining a ski mountain you moved to a handful of years ago likewise, so I guess it's really a perfect storm of complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

I'm in the capital of insanely aggro people and fist fighting as some of my prior posts have shown so by comparison every place I've been to outside of my home resort is filled with gentlemen and ladies.

What is your home resort? Trying to form a mental picture.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Is now when I complain about out of towners?

If you don't complain about the tourists, how will anyone know you are a local?

Edit: I guess you could get one of those "not everyone is on vacation" bumper stickers.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have window clings for my business on my jeep. Already got that covered

Could use a few more bumper stickers for local radio, non profits, etc though

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Eejit posted:

I have window clings for my business on my jeep. Already got that covered

Could use a few more bumper stickers for local radio, non profits, etc though

Here it’s a “came to ski, stayed for the library” bumper sticker, no thank you very much

e: peak posting

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

EvilTwig posted:

What is your home resort? Trying to form a mental picture.
Mountain Creek New Jersey.

You don't need a mental picture; have an actual video
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Xy9MsppVr/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 27, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I've never been to New Jersey but this is exactly what I imagine New Jersey to be like everywhere all the time.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

I've never been to New Jersey but this is exactly what I imagine New Jersey to be like everywhere all the time.
Best thing about the all out brawl is that I believe it was started by someone making fun of someone else's white Gucci belt.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Here it’s a “came to ski, stayed for the library” bumper sticker, no thank you very much

e: peak posting

Are we going for making sure other locals know you're a local, or tourists knowing you're a local?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
the trick with touring is to be fit enough to knock off a 5km, 500m "approach" with river crossing in like 90min, since the tourists will just blow a good half day getting to your spot.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

holy smokes, my expectations have been blown away

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

FYI those are probably New Yorkers messing up our beautiful (sometimes) state of NJ

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Varg posted:

FYI those are probably New Yorkers messing up our beautiful (sometimes) state of NJ
I believe the guy in the white Gucci belt and his buddies were New Yorkers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Best thing about the all out brawl is that I believe it was started by someone making fun of someone else's white Gucci belt.

LOL

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yuns i figured you had to be talking philly, philly is far more aggro fighty than NJ in my experience

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yuns i figured you had to be talking philly, philly is far more aggro fighty than NJ in my experience
Philly is definitely more aggro than NJ but there is no ski resort that close to Philly to draw a huge Philly crowd. Maybe Blue, JFBB or Shawnee?

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
After about 45-50 days over the last 3 years my wife is upgrading her circa 2007 rental setup to a new set of skis and bindings. Last season she started with a new pair of boots so she's in a modern setup for the first time. I'm so stoked!

Quite the jump in dimensions: 20cm longer and about 18mm wider underfoot.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

After about 45-50 days over the last 3 years my wife is upgrading her circa 2007 rental setup to a new set of skis and bindings. Last season she started with a new pair of boots so she's in a modern setup for the first time. I'm so stoked!

That is a nice looking set up! I imagine after 45-50 days her skills have probably markedly improved as well. Given how variable weather and snow can be it really makes sense to have a somewhat wider ski if you are only going to have a single pair. Like it seems even the conditions where it calls for a skinnier ski, you can adapt more easily with the wider ski. But if your skis are too skinny for the snow and terrain, it is a lot harder to work through that.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Yeah she's definitely gotten a lot better, I could see the old skis were getting to be a little too short for her. I just switched to a modern board last year from my old second-hand learner board from 2007 and the difference is insane - I don't know much about advances in ski tech but if its comparable I expect she's gonna have a lot more fun out there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So you know how I posted about a week ago about how Vail wouldn't recongize my new credit card and kept trying to charge my old, expired one?

Well, I had to go in in person to fix it, and they charged me fine.

Except they only charged me for my pass, not my husband's. So I went in yesterday to find out what happened. Turns out, the credit card info was only changed for ME, and not for my husband as well. Except this time they didn't email anything about it, etc. So hopefully they keep trying to re-charge the card, the guy flagged it internally to re-charge, and we'll see but jfc Vail is not making it easy to buy a pass this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CAIC launched a membership program starting this season. If you use the forecasts and feel so inclined to join please consider it. You get some nice discounts, a pair of socks with $100 membership. 26% of the budget comes from in person events and since many will not happen this year other forms of funding will be important. I donate a pretty good amount each year as it is probably one of the most important things for me.

P.S. I am stoked for some uphill action.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 1, 2020

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Thanks for the heads up. They do some pretty fun fundraiser parties but I guess that’s not happening this season.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

She will instantly be a better skier. Just tell her to widen her stance slightly. My gf is a excellent boarder but has been getting into skiing for the last few years and was beginner/intermediate. After one day with new skis almost exact same size transition, she was skiing better than she ever had. The rocker in the tip and tail makes a huge difference in re/de initiating the edges. And she can ski powder now. New skis are the best.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Word on the street is Powder mag is shutting down (along with Bike, Surfer, Snowboarder, and more)

End of an era, Powder felt like a big part of ski culture in my youth. The death of print continues its march

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 5, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

Word on the street is Powder mag is shutting down (along with Bike, Surfer, Snowboarder, and more)

End of an era, Powder felt like a big part of ski culture in my youth. The death of print continues its march

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Sad but news just moves to fast. Images are up on the gram the day they happen. etc.

There are a bunch of good movies on Amazon Prime right now from TGR and others if you are thinking snow.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Has anyone tried the 32 Jones MTB boots with the walk mode collar? Thinking about making an upgrade.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Has anyone tried the 32 Jones MTB boots with the walk mode collar? Thinking about making an upgrade.

I only know 1 person with them. seems to like them. I have been on the deeluxe XV's for a long time now. Been pretty good for skinning.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Do you/does your friend use them strictly for skinning or everyday riding as well?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Do you/does your friend use them strictly for skinning or everyday riding as well?

Just for skinning. He has a pair of the TM2 Jones inbounds boots as well.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bawfuls posted:

Agreed sad. I subbed to Powder for years and years, they were a surprisingly with-it and fun to read publication and I'll be sad to see them go

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking at getting myself a splitboard setup.

I've selected the following. Is there anything I'm missing? I've selected a board, poles, bindings, and skins. I already own boots and a decent hiking backpack. I can't quite tell if any of these things include the hardware I need to connect the bindings to the board or if I need to purchase that separately. Also, last year I bought a set of bindings for my regular snowboard that didn't fit the screws so I'm trying to avoid that fuckup this time around.

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/splitboarding/526-3392-frontier-splitboard.html#/460-jonessizes-162
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/climbing-skins/545-3487-nomad.html#/468-jonessizes-d
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/splitboard-poles/548-3477-talon.html#/464-jonessizes-one_size
https://www.evo.com/splitboard-bindings/spark-rd-blaze-tr?image=138421/596557/spark-rd-blaze-tr-splitboard-bindings-2021-.jpg

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

huhu posted:

I've selected the following. Is there anything I'm missing? I've selected a board, poles, bindings, and skins. I already own boots and a decent hiking backpack. I can't quite tell if any of these things include the hardware I need to connect the bindings to the board or if I need to purchase that separately. Also, last year I bought a set of bindings for my regular snowboard that didn't fit the screws so I'm trying to avoid that fuckup this time around.

https://www.jonessnowboards.com/splitboarding/526-3392-frontier-splitboard.html#/460-jonessizes-162
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/climbing-skins/545-3487-nomad.html#/468-jonessizes-d
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/splitboard-poles/548-3477-talon.html#/464-jonessizes-one_size
https://www.evo.com/splitboard-bindings/spark-rd-blaze-tr?image=138421/596557/spark-rd-blaze-tr-splitboard-bindings-2021-.jpg

Jones boards are generally stiff. The frontier is supposed to be less stiff but I find all their splits I have tried are stiff. I don't mind, I ride a solution split right now, but something to think about. The frontier also doesn't have tip lock which is totally awesome. One of my favorite upgrades on a board.

Nomad's are good skins. They are just pomoca skins branded Jones and with the split specific stuff for the Jones boards. I have a set of Nomad Pro skins but mostly because I got them for $140.

I am sure the poles are fine. Personally I use Black Diamond poles as I usually can find them for under $80.

Do not get the Spark Blaze though. Having to push the mother fing pin through will make you want to throw your gear down the mountain. Oh and then you lose one and.... Just say no to pins. Spark makes some good stuff though. If you stick with Spark I would suggest the Arc's (Link) and either way you apparently need to also get some pucks (Link).

On the bag, anything can do but have a wet pocket to access all your avy gear is nice.

If you need avy gear this is kind of the bread and butter: Link

Glad to help with any other questions.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 7, 2020

casque
Mar 17, 2009

huhu posted:

Please consider skis. The avy gear spwrozek linked looks good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

casque posted:

Please consider skis. The avy gear spwrozek linked looks good.

As someone who ATs and Splits I can't really get behind this advice. Skis are handy and can be loads of fun but split boarding is fantastic (mostly because riding powder on a board is just the best experience). Yes hard boots are more efficient and skis are easier to manage on long approaches, etc. Don't let that get you down though. You will be stronger than all your ski friends at least(because it is all soooo much heavier).

Also if you don't know how to ski it is an exceptionally bad idea to go buy AT gear and figure it all out.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Wait what pin are you talking about? The toe bar?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Wait what pin are you talking about? The toe bar?

The blaze still use the old loose style pin that you girth hitch to the binding and slide all the way through. The Arc and Surge pop up the toe ramp and clip in without having to slide the pin through.

From Spark: Pin Mount: Stainless steel pin attached via a cable. Pin is pushed through the binding and touring bracket and held in place by tucking the arm of the pin under the toe strap next to your boot to lock the binding in tour or ride mode.

Just barf all over that.

E: My first bindings were pin type. they were very annoying.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Oh, yup, that’s what I have. It pushes your toe strap off your toe. Sucks balls.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just got new boots for the kids for this race season. Many of the U14s have already started doing some informal training/skiing at Big Snow, the NJ indoor ski facility, in anticipation for the season. Its like a super mellow green on one side and a terrain park on the other side. Easy short green or not its still worthwhile getting some early turns in. We haven't gone yet but ill take the kids there next week. My annual beginning of season trip to Tremblant is not happening though since we can't go to Canada. Likewise Jay Peak just refunded season tickets to all Canadians since they don't know when they'll be allowed to travel there.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

We've had our first couple of snow showers and more on the way. The resort doesn't open until mid November but looks like I might get some early touring in before then. Can't wait.

https://bit.ly/2KwK9rY

Also I was planning to do some kids class teaching at weekends this season but that feels like pretty much guaranteed COVID so maybe I'll wait it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We've got snow on the mountain and the adult racing programs are officially cancelled for the season.

Wheeeeeeee.