Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GotLag posted:

I know reading is slow and difficult for you but try also looking at the preceding post.

The federal government would like to be able to (be seen to) do something other than beg from the sidelines

Yeah you loving moron, your posts went straight past

quote:

The federal government would like to be able to (be seen to) do something other than beg from the sidelines

and into

GotLag posted:

Calling in the ADF lets the federal government pretend it's done something and remind the states who's boss

GotLag posted:

Did I imagine Scott Morrison begging the states to reopen their borders and being told to gently caress off by Palaszczuk and Dictator Dan?

Gee, I wonder why the federal government would like to normalise the involvement of the force it controls in the middle of a federal-state pissing match, what a loving mystery!

e:

but poo poo I guess you got me real good by forcing me to read your posts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-28/queensland-police-appeals-detective-neil-punchard-sentence/12711306

quote:

The Queensland Police Service (QPS) will appeal the sentencing of an officer who leaked the home address of his friend's ex-wife from the QPS database.
Senior Constable Neil Punchard was sentenced to two months jail — wholly suspended for 18 months — last year, after he pleaded guilty to nine counts of computer hacking.
In 2014, Punchard used confidential police databases to find the address of his friend's ex-wife who had an ongoing domestic violence order against him.
His friend's former partner said she was forced to move after the information was leaked.
Punchard appealed the two-month sentence on September 1, arguing it was excessive, and won.
The court re-sentenced him to 140 hours of community service with no conviction recorded.
QPS today announced it had sought leave to appeal the recent District Court judgement.
In a statement, QPS said the decision to appeal Punchard's new sentence was reached after "careful consideration of the judgement and independent legal advice".
Punchard is currently stood down on full pay.
Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said she will consider his suitability to remain employed by QPS after the appeal process is finalised.
When the article says QPS is appealing, does it mean QPS is seeking a harsher or softer sentence?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tommunist posted:

Im looking forward to the Far north Queensland insurgency when Katter loses it over another croc killing

based on past events it's more likely to be either angry shearers or unemployed people storming city hall.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

When the article says QPS is appealing, does it mean QPS is seeking a harsher or softer sentence?

it's a typo, the QPS is appalling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thatbastardken posted:

based on past events it's more likely to be either angry shearers or unemployed people storming city hall.

Are there any shearers under 60

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

I am goanna listen to the chair of epidemiology at deaken uni, who was quoted in the article, over some snarky gently caress posting on Twitter. Science went out the window in March, this is all about politics now.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-28/queensland-police-appeals-detective-neil-punchard-sentence/12711306

y'all can't read.

quote:

The Queensland Police Service (QPS) will appeal the downgrading of the sentence for an officer who leaked the home address of his friend's ex-wife from the QPS database

QPS thinks community service for rummaging around in their databases isn't harsh enough a penalty, so they're appealing against the officer's successful appeal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Seems like a more reasonable position than masks forever even if no-one has the virus.

Launchpad McQuack posted:

I am goanna listen to the chair of epidemiology at deaken uni, who was quoted in the article, over some snarky gently caress posting on Twitter. Science went out the window in March, this is all about politics now.

It's a Twitter ethical tech guy to boot.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 28, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How come instead of just posting the link to the afr article (or the content) and your comment, we need a Twitter guy’s hot take on it as well?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

realbez posted:

How come instead of just posting the link to the afr article (or the content) and your comment, we need a Twitter guy’s hot take on it as well?

Twitter is like a metaphor that fucks up one person's brain, then transmits to other people's brains and fucks them up.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 28, 2020

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I was just reading the comments under a recent Mark McGowan Facebook post wishing everyone a happy public holiday, and it struck me how weird it is to have a political leader everyone loves

Even before COVID I heard several people talk about how much they like him despite usually voting Liberal etc

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

He demonstrably likes ACDC - what's not to like?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Geoff Gallop had a cameo in this movie so McGowan still has work to do on that front

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0316763/

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

https://amp.theguardian.com/austral...-mccormack-says

quote:

Michael McCormack has defended the government’s decision to spend $30m on a parcel of land near the Western Sydney airport worth just $3m, arguing in time it will seem a “bargain”.

If u think about it, we blindly paid $30 million for the land. They could have asked for $60 million and really had one over on us.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are there any shearers under 60

gotta be at least one.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He demonstrably likes ACDC - what's not to like?

He is from the swinging pig

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So the epidemiologist said one in a million, based on 5 cases (a day, presumably)...the AFR then compares that to the chance of getting struck by lightning which it claims is one in 12,000, meaning there should be 416 people struck by lightning every day in Melbourne?

Like, I’m not convinced by the necessity of masks with no community transmission, but comparing a chance of something happening daily to the chance of something happening over your lifetime is pathetic journalism.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 28, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the epidemiologist said one in a million, based on 5 cases (a day, presumably)...the AFR then compares that to the chance of getting struck by lightning which it claims is one in 12,000, meaning there should be 416 people struck by lightning every day in Melbourne?

Like, I’m not convinced by the necessity of masks with no community transmission, but comparing a chance of something happening daily to the chance of something happening over your lifetime is pathetic journalism.

At least the lightning has an actual chance if killing you, unlike the 1 in 20 million chance of dying to covid if you aren't an invalid.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

At least the lightning has an actual chance if killing you, unlike the 1 in 20 million chance of dying to covid if you aren't an invalid.

I’m hoping you can provide a breakdown of people who have died from lightning compared to with lightning to back this up

In some cases, lightning may be beneficial or even necessary for life (Shelley, M 1818)

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 28, 2020

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

A lot of people are getting hosed up by covid but don't get noticed because all people care about are the death statistics. There's more than "recovered" and "dead".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

The lightning analogy only really works if there was a thunderstorm going on, hundreds of people had been getting struck by lightning every day, and the government had instituted a massive program to keep people indoors and put lightning rods on as many buildings as possible.

Masks clearly don't help if there are no cases out untraced in the community since there is no spread to stop. However as we have seen it can be quick for undetected cases to spread and the purpose of measures like masks would be to open things back up in the knowledge that any future outbreaks will have a slower spread and be more traceable.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

I have mates in FNQ and they say that a car gets stolen from Townsville every night and it's a huge problem up there.

Are you sure the ABC isn't monitoring you?

Vigilantes chasing stolen cars, patrolling streets, as youth crime rises in Townsville posted:

For the past 19 years, while most people have been sleeping, Robbie says has been trying to stop children breaking into homes and joyriding in stolen cars.
"We've got the theory that if you look suss, you are suss," he said.

Robbie says he became a "patriot" after a mate died in a car crash involving juveniles.

He conducts "scenic drives" through crime hotspots, such as nursing homes, and gives suspicious youths "a mouthful" to try to prevent them from offending.

Sometimes Robbie goes a bit further by intercepting vehicles and giving the kids inside a "good flogging" before calling the police and fleeing.

Proudly assaulting kids for 19 years :australia:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Translation: I beat up black people

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/austral...-mccormack-says

If u think about it, we blindly paid $30 million for the land. They could have asked for $60 million and really had one over on us.

Oh that’s ok then. I’m glad he cleared that up. Was worried that he was negligent in his duties.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

"If you look suss you are suss," says man wearing skull faced bandanna/easy reach cum rag.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-29/allegations-over-nt-program-troubled-youth-allan-brahminy/12646034

quote:

He claims he was abandoned on a riverbank as a baby by his biological mother and adopted by an Indigenous family which named him Brahminy — meaning wild and free.
It's the story Allan Brahminy's program for troubled kids was based around, and for more than a decade he has been looking after children — many of whom are Indigenous — receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from state governments.
But Mr Brahminy's biological family, former military colleagues, ex-wife and former partner claim he is not who he says he is.
White dude abandoned his family and made up a story about being raised Indigenous. Now Tasmania's sending kids up to the NT to be abused in his youth program. His abandoned kid got to see him in a doco about what great things he's doing for other children

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

Translation: I beat up black people

Weird how all those joyriding kids stealing cars bother to put their P plates up first.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

yeah well shame it's not Palaszczuk up there in that cartoon, Berejiklian has not been copping it as much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who else is in the back seat with scomo?

Frydenberg and ?????

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the muppet? yeah idk who that is meant to be

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Greg Hunt but I don't recall him wearing glasses?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

yeah well shame it's not Palaszczuk up there in that cartoon, Berejiklian has not been copping it as much.

I daresay to avoid the cartoon to appear partisan.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

deputy prime minister whoever

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

mccormack

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It’s Greg Hunt, Pope draws him as a Kermit the Frog hand puppet.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Can we please stop being complete pieces of poo poo as a country?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-30/santos-narrabri-coal-seam-gas-project-approved/12716350

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-16/adelaide-police-aboriginal-man-punch-arrest/12359426?nw=0 (old but unposted).

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...wful-resolution

So clearly the LNP think they owe Patricks something. The claims about delaying essential medicines are complete lies especially when most of the shut down has been due to Patricks effectively employing a lock out. gently caress these clowns.

RDH died in August 2012. He had spent 26 years of his life in prison or secure psychiatric care. He had been treated in the past for a chronic heart condition. The coroner found that his care was adequate and reasonable but his family said he should have been placed in a hospital rather than a prison and, given his psychiatric illness, he had diminshed capacity to make his own decisions regarding healthcare.

ISSUES RAISED
Mental health / cognitive impairment.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I daresay to avoid the cartoon to appear partisan.

sorry mate but anything even mildly critical of the government will be dismissed as partisan

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I just wanna put another shrimp on the barbie for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

Can we please stop being complete pieces of poo poo as a country?

no