Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I made chocolate crunch and pink custard, and for a while the world seemed right again.
I keep meaning to make some chocolate crunch. I basically lived on it at school because it was the cheapest thing on the canteen menu and I was pocketing my lunch money to have extra spending money. The pink custard can do one though.

This toad did not subsist on a diet of chocolate crunch at high school

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hannahrosewoods/status/1310684719932149760?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly living in 2020 the idea people went multiple centuries without having any new ideas about philosophy, politics, or science is not that hard to believe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So trumps 2016 campaign manager tried to/threatened to kill himself last night and got taken into care as a result and tonight channel 4 aired a story about how the campaign used cambridge analytica to target black voters to stop them turning out to vote

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Here's the C4 piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIf5ELaOjOk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is the correct century when the Tories were first created?

And stopped being a friend to someone due to uni catered halls.
We met first day of starting uni, moved into a house with him and other friends after first year.
We even did our year placement that was part of the course together in the same company.
Then just before our last year, when catered halls on campus gave precedent to final year students, he announced he got a place there without telling us he applied. Or that there was any applications going.
Didn't tell us as he didn't want more competition to get the limited places, leaving us one down on the rent and such.
Politely told him to gently caress off and we hardly talked to him that full year, hope it was worth it to save that few hundred quid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Anglos looking at this question:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't hold anything against catered halls but the year I spent living off super noodles and Rustlers burgers made me the man I am today, and I wouldn't want to see any fresher robbed of that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

My chemistry teacher said this in 1999 so it must be true: Washing powder is an illusion of a market. There are only two manufacturers- Unilever and Procter&Gamble. All the dozen or so brands are owned by these two and the powder is basically identical. As a consumer you might be captivated by one brand or another, but you're basically choosing between boxes of identical powder. All that's different is the scent and maybe some blue sprinkles.

I'm sure we've had this conversation here before but the flakes are actually just filler for the detergent so you don't have to measure it with a syringe. There are *some* differences, mainly between bio and non-bio, which can have a pretty big effect on your cleaning (i.e. if your clothes get oily a lot bio is vastly better, but conversely bio powders don't really work at high temperatures so if you've got pets, kids, or other things that generate lots of non-hydrocarbon dirt that the enzymes in biological powders don't touch and so need a higher-temperature wash non-bio is the way to go), and some bio detergents are now heavily optimised for low temperatures - I use that Aerial gel stuff with cold water and it works perfectly for normal washing, saving me loads on electricity.

Now fabric softener - that's the real con job. I ran out of it a while ago and literally can't tell the difference, apart from the fact my towels are a bit scratchier (and about a million times more useful as towels).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are you using your towels for if scratchiness is a desirable quality?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now fabric softener - that's the real con job. I ran out of it a while ago and literally can't tell the difference, apart from the fact my towels are a bit scratchier (and about a million times more useful as towels).

I don't use fabric softener. And big soft fluffy towels look all very nice but don't seem to actually get me dry, but a threadbare old thing actually functions much better as an actual towel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so he didn't attempt to kill hismelf he got drunk and hit his wife and threatened to shoot guns at people. anyway if you want to see cops tackle him out of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjAqS35D8ZU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What are you using your towels for if scratchiness is a desirable quality?

Scratchiness is a side-effect of the desirable quality, which is absorbency.

Also - as any cow can tell you - a good scratch is one of life's great pleasures, and a nice scratchy towel is just the biped equivalent of one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rlext8BDpE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're into that I'm sure you can just pay a couple of quid and streak through the car wash.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't use fabric softener. And big soft fluffy towels look all very nice but don't seem to actually get me dry, but a threadbare old thing actually functions much better as an actual towel.

Yeah, fabric softener is basically oil - that's what makes the clothes feel soft and fluffy, because the fibres move a bit more freely, but it also makes them repel water which is sub-optimal for a towel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just shake yourself dry like a dog

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The citizenship test should have three questions.

One: What is the correct way to make a cup of tea?

Two: What is the correct condiment to put on fish and chips?

Three: Explain the concept of the Four Candles sketch. 200 words max.

(A's 1 & 2: "Whatever/However I bloody well want, it's a free country!")

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Umbra Dubium posted:

"Jam or cream first?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

everyone who doesn't say non-brewed condiment gets deported

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To all three questions.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

"Jam or cream first?"
Show your working using the words 'Simple as.'

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Or you can dry yourself like my ex, which is to say ignore the towel, drip your way along the landing to the bedroom, then leap into bed and roll around on my side yelling "I'm giving the sheets a rinse".

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've definitely heard "don't use fabric softener on your towels" as like, a general rule. also sportswear apparently?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The catered food at my uni was, everyday:

unidentifiable Meat slop option or vegetarian option (meat eaters can't choose Vege, we know who you are)

Chips or potatoes or rice

Beans or carrots or sweetcorn

Salad bar which is just a bowl of shredded lettuce.

A yogurt.

Everyday.

Because the food was so crap you would think the portions would be decent but no, I lost weight during my first term and ended up spending a fortune on take aways, probably two a week not including kebabs on nights out.

I found a screw in my potato once too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
ScOHne or the wrong way?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I worked tech support for a school in London a decade ago and for a while they had a problem with the fire alarm going off for no reason. An Ofsted inspection was due to happen while this issue was going on, and the school’s solution to avoid having the fire alarm falsely activate during the inspection was to persuade the site manager to quietly disable the fire alarm for the entire school that day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does anyone else find it weird if an adult woman in her early 30s claims her 4 year old daughter is her 'best friend in all the world'?
(She's a relative of mine).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lockdown innit?

Also people say that about dogs and its fine I guess.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 29, 2020

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone else find it weird if an adult woman in her early 30s claims her 4 year old daughter is her 'best friend in all the world'?

Not really. I have a son who is just over a year old, and I consider him a good mate.

We go down the pub and the park and do things together. It is not strange at all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OK maybe its dumb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not really, like I don't have kids but if people can feel that way about a pet it doesn't seem bizzare that they would feel that way about an infant? There's probably less projection going on in the latter case at the least?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Being insufferable about how much you love your own children is definitely normal human behaviour.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You should love your kids, regardless of British tradition.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CancerCakes posted:

The catered food at my uni was, everyday:

unidentifiable Meat slop option or vegetarian option (meat eaters can't choose Vege, we know who you are)

Chips or potatoes or rice

Beans or carrots or sweetcorn

Salad bar which is just a bowl of shredded lettuce.

A yogurt.

Everyday.

Because the food was so crap you would think the portions would be decent but no, I lost weight during my first term and ended up spending a fortune on take aways, probably two a week not including kebabs on nights out.

I found a screw in my potato once too.

Crowning achievement of my college was absolutely serving risotto for a main course, with boiled rice for the side. Absolutely sublime. :discourse:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gonzo McFee posted:

You should love your kids, regardless of British tradition.

And only your own kids, in spite of the British tradition.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

Crowning achievement of my college was absolutely serving risotto for a main course, with boiled rice for the side. Absolutely sublime. :discourse:

One time, we had chicken vol-au-vents on a Tuesday and two days later fruit vol-au-vents for dessert. I found a piece of chicken in the bottom of the fruit filling in mine.
We had no choice of food at all. Except if you were vegetarian. One night, there was no separate vegetarian food. When asked why, the chief caterer replied, "The main course is fish. Vegetarians eat fish." and that was that.
And there was the glorious institution of 'packed tea'. If you had late lectures, you were allowed to ask for 'packed tea' and this consisted of two pieces of bread, a piece of cheese or meat, and small chocolate bar and an apple.
My friend and I used to get those when the Water Margin was on tv because we would get in the big colour tv room early (no individual tvs in those days) to bag the telly and force all the Coronation St watchers into the small black and white tv room. (There was no Eastenders then either! That was still a few years away.) But I digress.

(This was 40 years ago and we had no cooking facilities whatsoever available for student's use, and many students spent their first term sleeping on the floors of college gyms - this was London - because of no accommodation at all to be found, either in college or private rents.)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

All sounds a bit posh.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

stev posted:

I don't hold anything against catered halls but the year I spent living off super noodles and Rustlers burgers made me the man I am today, and I wouldn't want to see any fresher robbed of that.

I think they give you about a thousand pounds a month if you take the full maintenance loan. You can get a non dive where I live for 3-400 quid then utilities (no council tax) is another hundred odd, that leaves a solid chunk for eating OK so long as you're intelligent with your money.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CoolCab posted:

I think they give you about a thousand pounds a month if you take the full maintenance loan. You can get a non dive where I live for 3-400 quid then utilities (no council tax) is another hundred odd, that leaves a solid chunk for eating OK so long as you're intelligent with your money.

Really a grand?

Anyway youre missing the booze, drugs and graphics cards columns on your quicken setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One night, there was no separate vegetarian food. When asked why, the chief caterer replied, "The main course is fish. Vegetarians eat fish." and that was that.

Reminds me of when I went on a ski trip with my uni (not that posh - we got a coach over to Les Arcs and stayed in a hostel type place for a total of something like £350 including food for the week, and I was working at Homebase during my off days from uni)... There were I think 55 of us in all, about 4 of us were vegetarian. First night there we go to the canteen and tell them we're vegetarian, guy comes out with a plate stacked high with green beans (like, seriously if you filled an average cereal bowl with a heaped serving, that's how many), with a piece of fish on the top. Told him I didn't eat fish... he went away for a moment, and came back with the same plate of green beans without the fish on top.

So I pretty much lived on cheese and bread that whole week. It was at least decent bread and cheese, because France.