Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Any recommended types of foam for the inside of a keyboard? I know there is neoprene and sorbothane, but I'm wondering what else is out there that is recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

mrking posted:

I just got some zealios 62s to replace some zealios 78s in specific keys that have been giving me trouble. The 62s are so much more tactile feeling it's crazy. Almost like a cherry blue with how much you feel the click, but no real audible click.

I just swapped my Planck onto 62g Zilents and hot drat are they nice to type on - the feedback is immediate and precise, but not super sharp on your fingertips. Really like the bottom out feel with this spring/stem combo.

FuncType fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 25, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I totally bought a hot-swappable numpad (a Cospad with Mill-Max hotswap sockets) and need to decide what switches to put into it first! :dance: I also need to get a few PCB-mounted stabilizers... any reason not to go with screw-ins over clip-ins?

I have also decided to lean in to putting together a big ol' switch tester with random poo poo, just need to figure out where to get 1 of a bunch of different switches I wanna try coz most places don't seem to sell singles.

zycl0n posted:

I just swapped my Planck onto 62g Zilents and hot drat are they nice to type on - the feedback is immediate and precise, but not super sharp on your fingertips. Really like the bottom out feel with this spring/stem combo.
Zilents' bottom-out cushioning is friggin' magical and holy crap I love the lack of pre-travel and the satisfying bump on my Zealios. :allears: I've heard the Zilents dampener gets compacted over time, not sure how long that takes or if it's even noticeable to most people, though, so it'd be interesting to see if you experience that eventually (if you keep using them).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Any recommended types of foam for the inside of a keyboard? I know there is neoprene and sorbothane, but I'm wondering what else is out there that is recommended?

really depends on what you are going for. I like butyl for killing sound.

Stroop There It Is posted:

I totally bought a hot-swappable numpad (a Cospad with Mill-Max hotswap sockets) and need to decide what switches to put into it first! :dance: I also need to get a few PCB-mounted stabilizers... any reason not to go with screw-ins over clip-ins?

screw-ins are my go to.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Continuing my wireless quest from last page, anyone have experience with the Velocifire VM02WS, and their “CONTENT” browns?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The new MT3 3277 set looks pretty cool but I don’t have or need another board or set...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not sure how well phone screenshots will come through, but this (not mine) is an incredibly pretty keyboard / terminal off a 1970s minicomputer and I want it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Some Goon posted:

Not sure how well phone screenshots will come through, but this (not mine) is an incredibly pretty keyboard / terminal off a 1970s minicomputer and I want it.

Dasher SA

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Hey so, I'm looking to replace my Microsoft Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard 1.0A. It still works fine, but I'm just tired of replacing the AA batteries in it.
I see all this about mechanical but not sure if I should/need to go that route? The ones in the OP were either wireless, not big enough (I want 100%), or unavailable.
I'm using the keyboard a lot more now given the work from home situation. I'm a web developer so quite a bit of typing. I don't do gaming on my computer and it runs Linux.

I'm pretty sure a loud clacking would drive myself and my girlfriend crazy. Also going somewhere to try to feel one isn't really an option since I'm in NYC but there is that whole pandemic thing.

EDIT: I suppose I just want advice on what to do next. Would membrane one be fine or should I go mechanical? I can afford it, I just don't know if I'd need it. I also don't care about any extra buttons or dials like the aforementioned MultiMedia Keyboard, never used those.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 27, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Looking for a keyboard with

- Aluminum base
- Full or 1800
- White
- Under $200

For reference, I love this keyboard by Razer but really don't want all the Razer bloatware:

Is there anything in the custom market like it?

I've found this one by Drop (https://drop.com/buy/drop-shift-mechanical-keyboard#overview) but it's gonna run about $300. I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gearman posted:

Looking for a keyboard with

- Aluminum base
- Full or 1800
- White
- Under $200

For reference, I love this keyboard by Razer but really don't want all the Razer bloatware:

Is there anything in the custom market like it?

I've found this one by Drop (https://drop.com/buy/drop-shift-mechanical-keyboard#overview) but it's gonna run about $300. I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper.

That razer looks like a white GMMK - the GMMK is probably cheaper and has hot swap sockets.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mewse posted:

That razer looks like a white GMMK - the GMMK is probably cheaper and has hot swap sockets.

Wow, yeah, looks like it. And the white GMMK is only $110. Perfect, thank you!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stroop There It Is posted:

I have also decided to lean in to putting together a big ol' switch tester with random poo poo, just need to figure out where to get 1 of a bunch of different switches I wanna try coz most places don't seem to sell singles.

Zilents' bottom-out cushioning is friggin' magical and holy crap I love the lack of pre-travel and the satisfying bump on my Zealios. :allears: I've heard the Zilents dampener gets compacted over time, not sure how long that takes or if it's even noticeable to most people, though, so it'd be interesting to see if you experience that eventually (if you keep using them).

If you want 1 of each switch to make your own switch tester I'd just.. Buy a bunch of switch testers, heh. Kbdfans has various sized kailh and zealios demos. Other switches are probably harder to find though. The fewest you can usually get is 10.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
think im gonna get in on that group buy for the NK60 Milkshake edition because it fulfills th emajority of my features wishes for a mech keyboard, minus the fact that its a tad small at 60% - but being QMK will fix that for me anyway. one question though - anyone familiar with how their yellow slik switches feel? I've never really used a mech keyboard with a switch other than my trusty mx browns i got years an dyears ago and they're distinctly 'fine'. simply better than a membrane. I bottom out on them all the time, like seriously every keypress, so i think i'm not losing anything by getting a linear switch.but how do they feel?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Impermanent posted:

think im gonna get in on that group buy for the NK60 Milkshake edition because it fulfills th emajority of my features wishes for a mech keyboard, minus the fact that its a tad small at 60% - but being QMK will fix that for me anyway. one question though - anyone familiar with how their yellow slik switches feel? I've never really used a mech keyboard with a switch other than my trusty mx browns i got years an dyears ago and they're distinctly 'fine'. simply better than a membrane. I bottom out on them all the time, like seriously every keypress, so i think i'm not losing anything by getting a linear switch.but how do they feel?

It's a 65%.

The Silks are a lubed JWK factory linear, so they'll be very smooth. It will take some adjustment since you won't have clear actuation feedback, but after about a week I found that I was pretty used to them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Impermanent posted:

It's a 65%.
It should have everything you need, plus it has VIAsupport so you don't even have to directly gently caress with QMK. You can just map keys on the fly it is so nice.
If browns are the only switch you've ever used than I don't really know what to tell you with regards to whether or not you will like the Silks other than the meme that "browns are the smoothest linears."
There is so little tactile bump on browns that they might as well be linears. The Silks are very smooth because they are lubed from the factory. They feel nice? I mean they're definitely worth a shot. They are good switches plus they are included with the board. Besides the PCB has hotswap sockets so you can always buy more switches and easily swap them out without having to disassemble the board.

As for typing, if you bottom out with browns then you'll bottom out with these. If you're bottoming out anyway then you don't really need the tactile feedback since you're getting that from the end of the keystroke anyway.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Oof, I want to build another southpaw layout board, but there is nothing available. I wish I'd snagged one of the acrylic EXT-65s when they were still available. There is nothing available.
My next hope likely just got delayed into next year. The guys putting together the SP-111 found out all their CNC'd parts oxidized so they've got to basically remake all the cases.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been looking around for a simple 108 key kit... doesn't look like it exists. Do people NOT enter numbers anymore?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

redeyes posted:

I've been looking around for a simple 108 key kit... doesn't look like it exists. Do people NOT enter numbers anymore?

All the cool kids switched over to base 26.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Oof, I want to build another southpaw layout board, but there is nothing available. I wish I'd snagged one of the acrylic EXT-65s when they were still available. There is nothing available.
My next hope likely just got delayed into next year. The guys putting together the SP-111 found out all their CNC'd parts oxidized so they've got to basically remake all the cases.

Yeah I missed the Ext-65 too sadly. It looks like a nice board.

Wyvern
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105187.0

Hex6.c
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106089.0

Southpaw75 v2 is pre-IC collab between HolySwitch and Bitmap Studios (tho they still haven't even delivered on the Alpine65)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108777.0

Candybar is making a comeback with round 2.1 They should have extras soon after they ship these out.
https://thekey.company/products/candybar-premium-round-2-1

redeyes posted:

We do, but we just use numpads on layer 12 in the middle of our Ortho 40's board.

Some Goon posted:

All the cool kids switched over to base 26.
:golfclap:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I missed the Ext-65 too sadly. It looks like a nice board.

The worse part was I had it in my cart. I just thought, "Eh, I've got my Mahjong board coming. That should be enough."

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

redeyes posted:

The one that always springs to my mind is a Ducky One full size. Looks like the confusingly named Ducky One 2 full size is also a 108 key.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
OHHHHHHHH the Duckboard is making a comeback for round 2 already!!!

https://imgur.com/a/wg6Jp12
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/j1et5b/ic_duckboard_round_2_18_key_numpad_with_oled_and/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

redeyes posted:

What are you looking for? This was my first result googling '108 keycap set' https://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Dye-subbed-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07HC2XLSL

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

.Z. posted:

What are you looking for? This was my first result googling '108 keycap set' https://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Dye-subbed-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07HC2XLSL
Probably meant "kit" as in "entire keyboard kit": PCB, plate, etc.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Llamadeus posted:

Probably meant "kit" as in "entire keyboard kit": PCB, plate, etc.

Yeah sorry. Full kit, mostly the PCB and case.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So...trip report on the Epomaker SK71:

I want to love it. I really, really do. Size-wize, it was great. I just wanted a small board with a numpad that I can easily carry around or just have on my desk as a small footprint. It just has too many glaring layout/keycap design issues to really just want to keep it around.

The apostrophe and quote being on FN and FN+SHIFT modifier messes with my writing tempo. The squashed layout also has me accidentally hitting the NUM button instead of backspace, and the lack of secondary markings on the numpad caps means I always have to keep the manual around to make sure I'm using the right ones.

Honestly if they just made it one more column or two wider to allow for dedicated apostrophe/quote keys, throw in a DEL/HOM or PgUP/PgDN in that column, and it'd be a perfect board.

It is hot-swapable, and the keycap texture and layout (DSA) are pretty nice.

Luckily I got the Durgod Fusion coming in October, and I'm still hanging onto my Akko 3084 (thinking of the 3064 tho)

So I'll throw this out here: anyone interested in a trade to try out this board? If you have some weird board you didn't like and want to try another weird board, I am willing to trade.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

So...trip report on the Epomaker SK71:

I want to love it. I really, really do. Size-wize, it was great. I just wanted a small board with a numpad that I can easily carry around or just have on my desk as a small footprint. It just has too many glaring layout/keycap design issues to really just want to keep it around.

The apostrophe and quote being on FN and FN+SHIFT modifier messes with my writing tempo. The squashed layout also has me accidentally hitting the NUM button instead of backspace, and the lack of secondary markings on the numpad caps means I always have to keep the manual around to make sure I'm using the right ones.

Honestly if they just made it one more column or two wider to allow for dedicated apostrophe/quote keys, throw in a DEL/HOM or PgUP/PgDN in that column, and it'd be a perfect board.

It is hot-swapable, and the keycap texture and layout (DSA) are pretty nice.

Luckily I got the Durgod Fusion coming in October, and I'm still hanging onto my Akko 3084 (thinking of the 3064 tho)

So I'll throw this out here: anyone interested in a trade to try out this board? If you have some weird board you didn't like and want to try another weird board, I am willing to trade.

Oh gently caress I forgot I bought a Fusion! Noice.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
For anyone who cares about my midrange offbrand keyboard adventures, I got my replacement Epomaker EP84 through and will follow up on my original frustrated impressions. https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-ep84?_pos=1&_sid=a5a699b7d&_ss=r

For context, this is replacing a Cherry MX3000 which is too big for my keyboard tray - https://www.cherry-world.com/cherry-g80-3000.html

The Gateron Browns do not feel as nice as Cherry Blues. They are smoother, but have a slightly "squishy" feeling a little more akin to a membrane keyboard. Still better than any membrane keyboard I have ever used, so I'm fine with them. They are also much quieter so long as I don't bottom them out, which my wife appreciates greatly.

The keyboard body is all plastic, but feels sturdy. Definitely sturdier than the Cherry, which actually flexed a lot. I think there's a metal backplate inside, because the keyboard is heavy and stiff. There is basically no give compared to the Cherry which would flex noticeably if you pressed hard on individual keys.

Keycap and switch removal is pretty straightforward, though I think it might be possible to damage the switches with the removal tool if you weren't careful.

Key wobble is about the same as my Cherry. Its there if you look, but doesn't affect typing performance whatsoever. The switches themselves are firmly attached and don't seem to wobble or move at all even when bottoming out heavily.

Key layout is great. I haven't had any issues moving from a full size board to this. Glad I didn't go with a 60%.

Lighting is great. No special software required, though it is recognized as a KEYCOOL device so you can probably use their software if you want? I certainly won't be installing any software- using FN and Pause or Home you can cycle through a nice collection of colors and patterns. I've got mine set to a nice pink/white backlight and there it will stay.

Overall I'm happy with it, though I don't trust Epomaker's QC very much after the first go around. I guess they have to cut corners somewhere. I'll post again if it dies in a month or something, but for now my keyboard quest is concluded.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod Fusion arrived today. It's a really nice keyboard but unfortunately I can't get the dze software to recognize it, maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

The keycaps they included with this board are really nice, I kind of wish I could buy the set in other colors.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...
I'm looking for a mechanical for mostly gaming thats not too expensive. With Brown equivalent switches because I only want a little bit of feedback. I saw a Ducky One single color LED here:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3733,
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3621

Is there anything that's likely to be better in that price range or less, assuming I prefer to have number keys?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CRAYON posted:

Durgod Fusion arrived today. It's a really nice keyboard but unfortunately I can't get the dze software to recognize it, maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

The keycaps they included with this board are really nice, I kind of wish I could buy the set in other colors.

holy poo poo already?!?!?! oh man I am so excited.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm 99% sure the package I have coming from China next Monday is my Fusion. So yes. Soon™️

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

CRAYON posted:

Did they send an email about it? That seems ridiculously fast!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just got my Triumph Adler set in today.
It is stupid hard to take a picture with a phone to reflect the proper color of the modifiers. They are straight up teal. Like Robins egg blue.

Please pardon my lovely tofu60. it was the closest keyboard and I just wanted to try these caps on something.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

drat I want this badly. Sold out in a minute or something for round 1.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ringo Star Get posted:

Did they send an email about it? That seems ridiculously fast!
I got my Fusion yesterday no email just a text from DHL with tracking info a few days ago.

Today I got a text with new tracking info that matches the spreadsheet they put out on KS this morning so I guess I'm getting a second one :confused:. Feel bad for the 150ish people that got their email and tracking info dumped in the public ks backer update though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 30, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

drat I want this badly. Sold out in a minute or something for round 1.

57 seconds and yeah me too.

.Z. posted:

oh and I forgot about Bushwacker.
There's not even an IC up yet so you have plenty of time to prepare. Here's the discord link though if you want to take a peek: https://discord.gg/HpRBG85
It's under #bushwacker https://discord.com/channels/620589841456955393/620590274720301057

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 30, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
HAHAHAHAHA FUCKKKKKKKKKK

Durgod just published a couple spreadsheets with hundreds of peoples emails, backer numbers, and shipping tracking numbers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827958050/the-wireless-retro-keyboard-that-brings-nostalgic-memories/posts/2965316

What a clusterfuck. I hope none of you are on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHAHAHAHA FUCKKKKKKKKKK

Durgod just published a couple spreadsheets with hundreds of peoples emails, backer numbers, and shipping tracking numbers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827958050/the-wireless-retro-keyboard-that-brings-nostalgic-memories/posts/2965316

What a clusterfuck. I hope none of you are on there.

Weird, the one I saw just had backer number and DHL number, which isn't great but doesn't seem to have emails on it.