Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I've never been able to figure out why people think the Iron Keep transition is so out of place when you've gone through so many nonsensical area transitions before that point. I mean, you wake up at the beginning of the game in a big swirling darkness that is literally called "Things Betwixt." It is a game where you literally enter the memories of dead things. I don't really think it's all that out of place to consider that time and space do not function in linear and causal ways in Drangleic. The game's a drat fever dream and it's awesome and the music in Majula is so good. But it's weird, real weird, weird even on the scale of Dark Souls games.

What's weird to me is people complaining about the Gutter. I get hating Black Gulch, because, well, it's really terrible, but the Gutter is rad and slowly making your way through it, lighting all the torches--that's fun and scary and makes it one of my favorite areas in the game. I guess now that I think about it one of my other favorite areas is No Man's Wharf, so I guess what I really like is torches.

edit: also I believe the next scheduled "Dark Souls 2 is the best and/or worst" discussion is next week in the Dark Souls 1 thread

apparently the transition made sense in past builds but it was annoying to load up the background in some consoles so they changed to make it easier on those machines. of course i have no idea why anyone even cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS2 unironically would have been significantly improved if they just changed some of the stupider level transitions out for literal warp points, like you use to access the Chasm or the DLCs. Or even a weird ghost hallway like that leading to the Kiln in DS1. They got the worst of both worlds instead. The map feels totally incoherent, but in a mundane and stupid way instead of a way that makes you think something weird is going on. Most of the time there’s not even any gameplay reason why they shouldn’t have done this. Nobody would ever go back down the Iron Keep elevator.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

skasion posted:

DS2 unironically would have been significantly improved if they just changed some of the stupider level transitions out for literal warp points, like you use to access the Chasm or the DLCs. Or even a weird ghost hallway like that leading to the Kiln in DS1. They got the worst of both worlds instead. The map feels totally incoherent, but in a mundane and stupid way instead of a way that makes you think something weird is going on. Most of the time there’s not even any gameplay reason why they shouldn’t have done this. Nobody would ever go back down the Iron Keep elevator.

With the elevator, it wouldn't have even been hard to have it go deep down instead. Sure, there's a skybox but you can just frame it as shifting into some hell dimension and people would swallow that better.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I now have every piece of lothric knight gear except the spear :negative:

Just going to use the basic spear and buy this poo poo from greirat i think

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I now have every piece of lothric knight gear except the spear :negative:

Just going to use the basic spear and buy this poo poo from greirat i think

Can't you buy it from him?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah thats what I said. I was just hoping to get it before Irithyll.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sorry I misread the post

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I always assumed that the original intent of the iron keep transition was to ride one of the cage-ziplines that you can see attached to the top of earthen peak from harvest valley. you'd descend into the caldera that keep sits in. in turn, it was axed for being too much effort to make/load

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think you can't fully dismiss the idea that at least some the level transitions were at some level intended to be an ellipsis of longer travels; the elevator from Aldia's to the Dragon Aerie has some major shifts in viewpoint as you ascend that seem very intentional. There was some of that at work in DS1 as well; Izalith and Ash Lake are at the same elevation based on the actual map model, but they're clearly not. And I like the lore idea of the Ash Lake level being shorthand for spending untold years wandering the sands below the archtrees until you find the last dragon hidden in some corner of the world, although on the other hand it kinda works as a Nidhogg reference for it to be at the base of the main tree.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was actually going to snark that for how much people jerk off about DS1's perfectly logical, flawlessly interconnected world you still have Tomb of the Giants somehow overlooking both Izalith and Ash Lake because ????

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I was actually going to snark that for how much people jerk off about DS1's perfectly logical, flawlessly interconnected world you still have Tomb of the Giants somehow overlooking both Izalith and Ash Lake because ????

Ash lake is underneath izalith.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Paracelsus posted:

I think you can't fully dismiss the idea that at least some the level transitions were at some level intended to be an ellipsis of longer travels; the elevator from Aldia's to the Dragon Aerie has some major shifts in viewpoint as you ascend that seem very intentional. There was some of that at work in DS1 as well; Izalith and Ash Lake are at the same elevation based on the actual map model, but they're clearly not. And I like the lore idea of the Ash Lake level being shorthand for spending untold years wandering the sands below the archtrees until you find the last dragon hidden in some corner of the world, although on the other hand it kinda works as a Nidhogg reference for it to be at the base of the main tree.

Keep and Aerie (and Shrine) were clearly designed to go together though. It’s one of the more finished paths in the game. The fact that someone put the effort into what the player would be looking at shows this. It would be nice if there was anything like that level of effort in the Peak to Keep transition (or Castle to Amana, or Amana to Crypt), or for that matter a couple of other level transitions that don’t involve long rear end elevators. DS2 does have a bit of a reliance on long rear end elevators for transitions, but it’s just a difference of degree from the other games, and it’s not always badly done. It ends up coming around to something cool with Brume Tower being one big elevator shaft of a level.

I don’t think bolded bit is true.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think if the windmill elevator past the medusa looking boss went down, nobody would've said poo poo

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I love Dark Souls 2

- Double-bladed swords
- Dual-wielding double-bladed swords and swinging them awkwardly like you're holding two kayak paddles
- Nutsack trolls
- FEEBLE CURSED ONE
- Belfry in its heyday was like the Dark Souls equivalent of CTF-Face; a hilarious clusterfuck that probably put off most people but brought a lot of joy
- Equipping the Majestic Greatsword in your left hand for a secret moveset
- Bonefist Hadoken
- Discovering that Vendrick is a giant hollow is cooler than plin plin plon
- Shooting the pursuer with the ballista is almost as good as shooting the host
- You want more than just a little blood.
- You want to be drenched in blood, mired in its foul stench. Am I right? Am I?
- Oh, just say that I'm right! Nah hah hah…

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

well ash lake clearly extends far off into the distance, so it is in fact perfectly logical for there to be a view of ash lake from the tomb, it's just a different part from the one you can go to, and the fact that their respective elevations don't perfectly fit is artistic license, and the honor of dark souls is intact :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
stretching the distance between two locations for more of a sense of scale but still having their positions largely make sense isn't really comparable anyhow

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

John Murdoch posted:

It's perfectly logical and flawlessly interconnected except for one secret area for which metaphysical weirdness actually makes a ton of sense

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
In contrast, I've always thought that the endgame of Demon's was just a normal island below the floating Nexus but apparently a lot of people think it's metaphysical

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The biggest non-loreable world bit that bothers me in DS1 is that you can't see the big caves of Tomb of Giants when you're down in the lava zone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

I don’t think bolded bit is true.

I didn't say it was true, just that I liked the idea.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I understand the hatred for the elevator, because in this game I hate how theres a lake beneath a swamp beneath a lake. But I hate them more because those areas suck rear end

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak is fine to navigate through. Not very pretty but whatever. However, the Alonne Knights in Iron Keep have the most overtuned line of sight, particularly in Scholar, and it pushes into silly how quickly they'll all scurry over to you from halfway across a zone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

harvest valley is just a bunch of fart gas in bare rock pits

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Please don't bash the homely gas pit I live in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i thought that maybe i'd just been being mean to ds2 until i replayed it all like half a year ago or some poo poo, but no, it really does feature stuff like 'it's a bunch of featureless rock and poo gas'

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
And yet, still more iconic than "gothic ramparts at sunset," "gothic village with snow," "gothic ruins in a poison swamp," and "literally the dark souls 1 gothic cathedral" IMO

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Johnny Joestar posted:

i thought that maybe i'd just been being mean to ds2 until i replayed it all like half a year ago or some poo poo, but no, it really does feature stuff like 'it's a bunch of featureless rock and poo gas'

Yes, it is hosed up and weird, that is a good thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not really hosed up and weird, it's very boring

e: "hosed up and weird" is like, tower of latria and blighttown. the most atmospheric area in ds2 besides majula(which is not really a full "area", just a hub) is shaded woods, which is just ok

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 29, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

it's not really hosed up and weird, it's very boring

e: "hosed up and weird" is like, tower of latria and blighttown. the most atmospheric area in ds2 besides majula(which is not really a full "area") is shaded woods, which is just ok

I love the Tower of Latria, it's insanely atmospheric, but it's also not actually that weird. It's a prison run by mind flayers. E: Also, Blighttown is a terrible example because it's an area they've put in every single game since DeS.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you just described something far weirder than harvest valley/earthen peak.

and that's without even mentioning this thing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

you just described something far weirder than harvest valley/earthen peak, the two lowest effort 'poison level' zones in any souls game

Not...really? Earthen Peak is a windmill that seems to exist to pump poison around, that's unique and weird. A prison level run by a very common fantasy creature is not that weird!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't agree in the first place and also execution matters a lot. tower of latria oozes horror top to bottom while harvest valley is lime green fart gas and an ugly illogical windmill that exists seemingly just because the boring snake boss at the top heals from poison. nothing about the area imposes any strong sort of tone onto the player, it just feels like "here's a poison level".

taking digs at the mind flayers because they're from dnd also doesn't make a lot of sense because they're still a lot more unique than the enemies that show up in harvest valley/earthen peak

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

I don't agree in the first place and also execution matters a lot. tower of latria oozes horror top to bottom while harvest valley is lime green fart gas and an ugly illogical windmill that exists seemingly just because the boring snake boss at the top heals from poison. nothing about the area imposes any strong sort of tone onto the player, it just feels like "here's a poison level".

taking digs at the mind flayers because they're from dnd also doesn't make a lot of sense because they're still a lot more unique than the enemies that show up in harvest valley/earthen peak

What I'm basically saying is you're confusing a level being terrifying - which the Tower of Latria absolutely is - with being unique or weird. The Tower is uniquely well executed and a fantastic level, a perfect example of why Demon's Souls is so good. It is also not that weird conceptually.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want to reiterate that i was talking about the zone, harvest valley, which looks like they forgot to add half the features and just made a series of bare, featureless rock pits filled with either fart gas or liquid that looks like raw sewage

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want to reiterate that i was talking about the zone, harvest valley, which looks like they forgot to add half the features and just made a series of bare, featureless rock pits filled with either fart gas or liquid that looks like raw sewage

Fart gas is a good one, but liquid that looks like raw sewage is a very good thing that should be in the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its sad because Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak is one of the more mechanically well designed areas and it just looks so awful.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite side bits in Dark Souls 3 is the way the game made me feel sorry for all the demons. In a way I guess there's no good reason to not feel sorry for them in DS1, but until you go visit them in their home and learn more about them, the demons are basically pretty generically evil monsters. I think the games do a good job of subverting that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

What I'm basically saying is you're confusing a level being terrifying - which the Tower of Latria absolutely is - with being unique or weird. The Tower is uniquely well executed and a fantastic level, a perfect example of why Demon's Souls is so good. It is also not that weird conceptually.
It is, in fact, unique and weird. There are not actually many games with mindflayers in them(way way less than games with undead in them) and the vibe of tower of latria is otherworldly and strange on top of being frightening.

Harvest valley, on the other hand, is just a poison level with a windmill. It's not weird, it's not scary, it doesn't speak to me in any way, both of its bosses are boring, and it's a bit of a slog in general. "A queen found poison in the ground, she went crazy and used poison to try and become beautiful" is a borderline incoherent conceit as presented that is not really supported by the level itself.

If it was something like... a hosed up palace and courtyard full of corrupted nobles putting up a veneer of beauty while actually being hideous poisoned creatures, that would be cool. (see: the countess from darkest dungeon demurely hiding her hosed up insect face.) but it's not that at all.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Fart gas is a good one, but liquid that looks like raw sewage is a very good thing that should be in the game.
The liquid definitely looks better than the gas, but honestly I'm not a fan of having bright green poison stuff in games. It feels very artificial and game-y, I liked how blighttown's poison stuff is all just dirty grimy brown sludge or poison darts.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there should be a farming game in the dark souls series called harvest valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

One of my favorite side bits in Dark Souls 3 is the way the game made me feel sorry for all the demons. In a way I guess there's no good reason to not feel sorry for them in DS1, but until you go visit them in their home and learn more about them, the demons are basically pretty generically evil monsters. I think the games do a good job of subverting that.

Yesterday I learned if you take a big strike weapon and hit one of the Stray Demon's legs enough they'll break like stone and then the thing becomes completely helpless. I also learned that if you beat on a Great Wolf's legs enough with a strike weapon breaking its legs will insta-kill it. I was doing a suicide run for the Millwood Axe and was maybe 1/3rd through the Wolf's HP and I heard a crunch, saw it limp, and then immediately die.