Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Really a grand?

9k a year but i'm not counting the summer months - most, but certainly not all students are moving back with their parents for the other months. i think you need to buy books and poo poo with that too?

quote:

Anyway youre missing the booze, drugs and graphics cards columns on your quicken setup.
lol, wrong there, i just personally wound up with enough saved up from my old gig to not have to worry about it for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah so that used to be one of the good things about going to uni as a mature student (which is actually just classed as being over 21), if you have had 3 years of supporting yourself through work, *even if you've been living with your parents*, you're classed as an "independent student" or something and automatically qualified for the highest level of maintenance grant. Now I think there aren't any grants at all and it's all just a loan? You should still qualify for the max though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah so that used to be one of the good things about going to uni as a mature student (which is actually just classed as being over 21), if you have had 3 years of supporting yourself through work, *even if you've been living with your parents*, you're classed as an "independent student" or something and automatically qualified for the highest level of maintenance grant. Now I think there aren't any grants at all and it's all just a loan? You should still qualify for the max though.

yep! and in theory newcastle will also give me a low income opportunity grant although given the numbers they'll need to be admitting i'll believe that particular cash when i sees it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean I guess I shouldn't just post that stuff without checking since it was 12 goddamn years ago when I started uni and I know some stuff has changed in terms of the loan system since then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone else find it weird if an adult woman in her early 30s claims her 4 year old daughter is her 'best friend in all the world'?
(She's a relative of mine).

As a parent you can and should be friends with your kids. It helps build bonds between the two of you.

But you can't be "best friends" or only friends with your kids.
The dynamics of friendship has elements to it such as mutual respect, treating as equals, respecting their autonomy even if they are making mistakes. Etc...

The dynamic if being a parent and child involves teaching, educating, looking after them, making decisions that they won't like, etc...

Basically children (particularly 4 year olds) need parents who do parenting stuff. And if you are being "best friends" with the kid you are either deluding yourself about your relationship or you are shirking parenteral responsibility, all so you can feel good about yourself.

No one is saying you have to go full Victorian and have no emotional connection to the child. But you can't act like your kid is the person that you call up when you want to go to the pub and complain about work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CoolCab posted:

9k a year but i'm not counting the summer months - most, but certainly not all students are moving back with their parents for the other months. i think you need to buy books and poo poo with that too?

lol, wrong there, i just personally wound up with enough saved up from my old gig to not have to worry about it for a bit

Has it changed? I could've sworn it was 5 grand when I went (which was a decade ago tbf).

Anyway I didn't have to pay for my accommodation and I still managed to blow through my loan and eat terribly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are the Maintenance loans on the same payment schedule as the Fees loan?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Question IRL posted:

As a parent you can and should be friends with your kids. It helps build bonds between the two of you.

But you can't be "best friends" or only friends with your kids.
The dynamics of friendship has elements to it such as mutual respect, treating as equals, respecting their autonomy even if they are making mistakes. Etc...

The dynamic if being a parent and child involves teaching, educating, looking after them, making decisions that they won't like, etc...

Basically children (particularly 4 year olds) need parents who do parenting stuff. And if you are being "best friends" with the kid you are either deluding yourself about your relationship or you are shirking parenteral responsibility, all so you can feel good about yourself.

No one is saying you have to go full Victorian and have no emotional connection to the child. But you can't act like your kid is the person that you call up when you want to go to the pub and complain about work.

I find the notion of having best friends as adults a bit funny, I can understand it and definitely have friends I'm closer to than others, but I try to avoid saying someone is my best friend.

Similar with people saying their parent/child/partner/pet/colleague/internet personality is their best friend. They already have names for those things as the relationship is unique.

except my cat is actually my best friend, he's different

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I remember my work canteen served mushroom risotto and all I had in it was mushroom stalks, no caps.

Then I had to avoid gluten and there was basically nothing I could eat. Loving life.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CoolCab posted:

Lots of places provide free e-books now.

Hoyle trolling the Tories and gammons now, forcing them to live with the authoritarian dickhead they voted in.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 29, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

But you can't act like your kid is the person that you call up when you want to go to the pub..

Well of course you can't, those judgy bar-tending bastards always say they don't serve four year olds vodka shots. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I forget what the legal drinking age for a child in a pub with their legal guardian is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd rather see Johnson lose a vote heavily despite his massive majority than have Hoyle force the entire country to live with him rushing into fascism. The Brexit ultras in charge need to be reined in, not propped up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My legal guardian is my solicitor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is entirely appropriate that the labour speaker be more tory than the tory one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I forget what the legal drinking age for a child in a pub with their legal guardian is.
16 year olds can order beer, wine, or cider with a meal in a pub. Other than that, it's 18 guardian or not, although sufficiently confident grandads can order lager shandy for children of any age by asserting that it's not legally alcohol. (This is true at 0.5%, to avoid duty on fruit juices that naturally self ferment, but not the case for a half and half glass of 3.7% lager and lemonade, but are you going to argue with loud granda?)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

16 year olds can order beer, wine, or cider with a meal in a pub. Other than that, it's 18 guardian or not, although sufficiently confident grandads can order lager shandy for children of any age by asserting that it's not legally alcohol. (This is true at 0.5%, to avoid duty on fruit juices that naturally self ferment, but not the case for a half and half glass of 3.7% lager and lemonade, but are you going to argue with loud granda?)

I frequently argue with loud grandas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When are you next on Question Time?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

I frequently argue with loud grandas

Are you a woman posting an opinion on Twitter?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

When are you next on Question Time?

I retired from hosting that a whil-- I mean I'm definitely not David Dimbelby. I am forums posted Miftan and NOT a tory plant.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are you a woman posting an opinion on Twitter?

I try to stick to one hellsite at a time.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aren't fabric softeners hydrophobic and stop towels functioning as towels?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Los Grandas Ruidoso

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...but conversely bio powders don't really work at high temperatures

Ooh ooh.. this isn't really true any more, and the reason is really cool (well, I think so at least)

mini-effortpost time!

For hundreds of years we used soap and various acids/alkali materials made from stuff like urine, ash, etc. During the first world war, these chemicals (fat especially which is needed for soap) were running short, so the growing chemical companies at the time started inventing the chemical detergents we have now. But at the same time, biologists started discovering protease enzymes, which break down proteins, like for digestion or recycling within the cell. These could then be used break down the traditional tricky stains such as 'tomato ketchup/chocolate/ice cream' **. However, like most of our proteins, these break down outside the normal body temperature range of 30-40 degrees, hence the 'normal' washing temperatures we have now. If you wash at 60 for example, the enzymes get destroyed completely, and you are left with normal washing powder.

But... billions of years ago, before anyone had even figured out legs, a branch of bacteria formed a unique and rather cool adaptation. 'Normal' cells have cell walls made from two layers of fat/oil that make the cell wall. In this new bacteria, these two layers get stitched together with an extra molecule of phosphorus making the wall much stronger. A bit harder to grow, and not as flexible maybe, but if all you do is chill where other life can't even survive, it's perfect. And these ancient bacteria, or Archaea, have done very well for themselves since. They live everywhere on earth - the pretty coloured bacteria that live in mineral springs for example are Archaea. They even make up a fair amount of our gut biome (and we have never found one that causes any diseases in humans which makes them pretty awesome)

And it's from studying the extremophiles like the hot springs archaea that we now have the protease enzymes in our washing powder that work perfectly well up to 70 degrees or so.

** advert stand-ins for 'blood/poo poo/jizz'

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Food in my university halls was disgusting unidentifiable slop and very much not posh, but still way better than food at an army barracks in Catterick I had the displeasure of having to eat. The food there was also disgusting unidentifiable slop, but more expensive, served to a captive audience, and the hobs in the accommodation were disabled because Serco weren't making enough money out of privates on £16k a year.

Also said privates were often doing an arduous selection course while being nutritionally deprived by said outsourcing motherfuckers. (I appreciate the British Army is unlikely to elicit a lot of sympathy here but this is still Bad IMO)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Aren't fabric softeners hydrophobic and stop towels functioning as towels?

Yep.

Also, a good post OzyMandrill. Weird to think that these sea-vent beasties led to both good washing powder and the enzymes essential for the genetic engineering era of biology

knox_harrington posted:

and the hobs in the accommodation were disabled because Serco weren't making enough money out of privates on £16k a year.

While the grift here is obvious, my grim 18 months as a campus RA convinced me that drunk students should not have any access to hobs. Fire and smoke damage was a constant theme.

(It was the closest I will ever come to an authoritarian position and it sucked, but at least I developed a system of not shutting down parties in exchange for a beer. Miniscule power corrupts minisculely)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 29, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Food in my university halls was disgusting unidentifiable slop and very much not posh, but still way better than food at an army barracks in Catterick I had the displeasure of having to eat. The food there was also disgusting unidentifiable slop, but more expensive, served to a captive audience, and the hobs in the accommodation were disabled because Serco weren't making enough money out of privates on £16k a year.

Also said privates were often doing an arduous selection course while being nutritionally deprived by said outsourcing motherfuckers. (I appreciate the British Army is unlikely to elicit a lot of sympathy here but this is still Bad IMO)

Does the british army do the standard army thing of having radioactive/fluorescent looking mashed potatoes? The IDF food loving sucked, but at least there's was a ton of it (unless you're a vegan/vegetarian in which case lol).

The closest I got to uni food was the food trucks outside 3 times a week which were amazing and the 20 minute line to get the free food from some sort of monks?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
My uni halls food was fine but hardly posh. It was the sort of food you'd find in the bit of a motorway service station thats not a KFC or burger king.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Archaea aren't bacteria <:mad:> !!!!

(they are cool though :kimchi:)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Miftan posted:

Does the british army do the standard army thing of having radioactive/fluorescent looking mashed potatoes? The IDF food loving sucked, but at least there's was a ton of it (unless you're a vegan/vegetarian in which case lol).

The closest I got to uni food was the food trucks outside 3 times a week which were amazing and the 20 minute line to get the free food from some sort of monks?

Non fluorescent potatoes due to the use of Smash I would think.

In terms of food quantity I also spent time in Colchester which due to being an airborne brigade had food cooked by army chefs which was good and plentiful. Catterick was outsourced (Pay As You Dine) and loving terrible. There was a weird salvation army cafe thing that people used to go to for very slightly better food.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Non fluorescent potatoes due to the use of Smash I would think.

In terms of food quantity I also spent time in Colchester which due to being an airborne brigade had food cooked by army chefs which was good and plentiful. Catterick was outsourced (Pay As You Dine) and loving terrible. There was a weird salvation army cafe thing that people used to go to for very slightly better food.

Ah that makes sense. Almost every IDF base has the army canteen for snacks and toiletries and then also some privatised, well the UK equivalent would be a kebab shop that does every single fast food.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The food doesn't need to be posh for catered halls to be a posh thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you lived in catered halls you missed out on interesting people like my flatmate from Oman who at home had seven sisters who did all the housework and had never cooked so much as a cup of tea before in his life. His technique for cooking frozen meatballs was to heat up about an inch of oil in a pot, stand well back from the hob and toss them in, still frozen, resulting in huge explosions of oil all over the kitchen (that he never cleaned up). Other culinary innovations included his famous boiled whole chicken, eaten with no seasoning or sides, and boiled lettuce in milk.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My uni hall (Derby Hall at Nottingham, for reference to the other Notts Uni poster) served absolutely vile stuff a lot of the time, and the chefs openly despised the students. I remember one time they served a delicacy referred to as 'chump chops', which were so disgusting, dry and unrecognisable as meat that a full scale row broke out between students and chefs. The chefs just laughed.

In fact it was more than one time...

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath all your fudgescapades got me in the mood to try making some toffees.

They came out ok, certainly nothing special but it was a fun way to spend an evening.

Certainly not going to stop getting far off your fudge though. You work magic with your fudge.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

I'd rather see Johnson lose a vote heavily despite his massive majority than have Hoyle force the entire country to live with him rushing into fascism. The Brexit ultras in charge need to be reined in, not propped up.

I don't think he'd have lost, Labour seem to be hardcore abstainers at the moment, and after saying they back every single step the government has taken they can hardly vote for the amendment that says Boris has been massively overreaching and calls for him to be reined in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

If you lived in catered halls you missed out on interesting people like my flatmate from Oman who at home had seven sisters who did all the housework and had never cooked so much as a cup of tea before in his life. His technique for cooking frozen meatballs was to heat up about an inch of oil in a pot, stand well back from the hob and toss them in, still frozen, resulting in huge explosions of oil all over the kitchen (that he never cleaned up). Other culinary innovations included his famous boiled whole chicken, eaten with no seasoning or sides, and boiled lettuce in milk.

My PhD program had a few female Saudi students, the interesting bit was that the Saudi government would also subsidise a male relative to move over and chaperone their entire lives, paying them tens of thousands for the privilege. These dudes seemed invariably to be complete failsons who just wanted to get wasted and play videogames, while disapproving of anything the women wanted to do that wasn't cooking them dinner after a day in the lab.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

I don't think he'd have lost, Labour seem to be hardcore abstainers at the moment, and after saying they back every single step the government has taken they can hardly vote for the amendment that says Boris has been massively overreaching and calls for him to be reined in.

That in itself would be a good thing. It would eliminate any doubt that Starmer is a Tory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Does the british army do the standard army thing of having radioactive/fluorescent looking mashed potatoes?
I thought the IDF vigorously denied having a radioactive potato program?

OzyMandrill posted:

** advert stand-ins for 'blood/poo poo/jizz'
I was going to ask why the adverts universally showed children covered in them, but it's because of the same reason as ever on this nonce island isn't it :barf:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SpaceCommie posted:

Camrath all your fudgescapades got me in the mood to try making some toffees.

They came out ok, certainly nothing special but it was a fun way to spend an evening.

Certainly not going to stop getting far off your fudge though. You work magic with your fudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the IDF vigorously denied having a radioactive potato program?

I've asked various officers about it and they all denied it was radioactive, but the grunts knew what was up. No way any food should be that shade of bright-highlight-marker-yellow