Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

dk2m posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ONp_KVPUs0vbtBc

New 2022 WRX prototype spotted. It looks like a Hyundai from the back but whatever - nothing too unexpected motor wise, but I hope they tune the FA24 to be more than 260HP. 330HP would probably be a good starting spot if the rumored 400HP STI is true.

I'm seeing lots of glass in the back and a rear that doesn't look like it's been vertically stretched in photoshop. It might actually look good from the back if there's nothing egregiously wrong under the wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Proportions-wise it looks like it'll be similarly sized to the current gen.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

dk2m posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ONp_KVPUs0vbtBc

New 2022 WRX prototype spotted. It looks like a Hyundai from the back but whatever - nothing too unexpected motor wise, but I hope they tune the FA24 to be more than 260HP. 330HP would probably be a good starting spot if the rumored 400HP STI is true.

No wagon no care

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

I highly doubt the mounting holes line up. Pretty sure you need those same, or a similar bracket from that place that makes the adapters for the GM 4-pot.

There are in fact a number of quite surprising brake calipers that are a direct bolt on replacement, of similar performance at half the price. A couple of them even are Brembos - as a for instance there's a set of Tesla Brembos sitting in the garage that are a lot easier to fit than people have ever guessed. Those Tesla brakes are also on a number of exotics and GM's. Holden 4 pot brakes are a dirt cheap Brembo drop in.

Levorg. But its CVT so you still shouldnt care

quote:

I am currently running Hawk HPS pads, Centric rotors, and DOT4 fluid. OEM calipers, lines, and MC.

Are your centrics a two piece rotor?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Levorg. But its CVT so you still shouldnt care

Yeah I still don’t. I can’t get it in The Land Of The Free anyway. And I mean If I’m going to insist on only buying a body style that is showroom floor poison for most dealers then I might as well go all in and insist on only buying one that requires me to use my feet to shift.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are your centrics a two piece rotor?

No. They are basically a good OEM replacement rotor.

Wound up going with some cryotreated replacement Centric rotors (the old ones were kind of warped and had far more miles on them than I realized), some Hawk ceramic street pads, and DTC-60 track pads. If this doesn’t work out well I’ll go to a bigger rotor and four pot calipers. And having looked at the pad info a little more I’m not too surprised at my results.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah I still don’t. I can’t get it in The Land Of The Free anyway. And I mean If I’m going to insist on only buying a body style that is showroom floor poison for most dealers then I might as well go all in and insist on only buying one that requires me to use my feet to shift.

There is one possible way to get or really make a WRX wagon. Take a Levorg, strip it down to just the body, ship it oversea in a container, and then rebuild it with WRX parts. Convoluted and expensive for sure (at least you could avoid having to convert it to LHD if you can source a European or Taiwanese market Levorg) but since you have to rebuild the drivetrain anyways you can use a manual one as a donor assuming the Levorg's wiring harness will play nicely with a WRX ECU.

At least that's my understanding as to how Left Hand Utes fabricates their Utes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is wrong with me, that sounds like an interesting project.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Edward IV posted:

There is one possible way to get or really make a WRX wagon. Take a Levorg, strip it down to just the body, ship it oversea in a container, and then rebuild it with WRX parts. Convoluted and expensive for sure (at least you could avoid having to convert it to LHD if you can source a European or Taiwanese market Levorg) but since you have to rebuild the drivetrain anyways you can use a manual one as a donor assuming the Levorg's wiring harness will play nicely with a WRX ECU.

At least that's my understanding as to how Left Hand Utes fabricates their Utes.

There are a few people working on doing manual Levorg conversions - The only thing that they havent got working is Eyesight / ACC. A WRX harness/ECU does play nice if you dont care about Eyesight and you just want the normal WRX cruise control.

There really is no technical reason why a Levorg cant be made a manual, the firewall even still has all the proper mountings for the various clutch pieces needed. It's Subaru being loving stupid that they arent doing something their customers are screaming they want - it's long been proven people WILL buy a WRX type wagon and they WILL buy it in manual.

No. They are basically a good OEM replacement rotor.

Well to be honest we've tended to find Subaru blanks take absurd amount of punishment hauling up a heavy and fast STI in rally trim but otherwise I'ld go to a two piece rotor. Not sure the brand I used to hammer to hell and back but it laster longer, had more ability to dissipate heat and worked longer at higher temperatures - and cheaper in the end as I wasnt throwing out the rotor after events. Well worth the investment.

If oyu are thinking about a caliper change then there's actually a couple of Taiwanese / Chinese AP Racing knockoffs that are very good. Also genuine AP Racing without the STI tax arent as expensive as you would think too. Depending on how seriously you are taking it of course but that kind of thing is well worth checking out.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

um excuse me posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with me, that sounds like an interesting project.

I know. I was tempted to give my cousins in Taiwan a call to see what the pricing and used market for Levorgs are like there at least to see what kind of money I'll need to commit to start with.

If it weren't for the fact that I was sightseeing with my aunt and grandparents, I would have been gushing all over this. This was actually the second one I saw in the wild in southern Taiwan so they exist but aren't common. Now that I think about it, Subaru in general were fairly uncommon when I was last there in 2016.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 25, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Outback is finally in the shop for engine reseal, valve job and clutch.

Apparently there are no aftermarket flywheels worth a gently caress for '13 Outbacks FBs, so I had to order OEM. It was nearly $100 more than the Exedy OEM clutch kit. But it'll be nice to have a new clutch and an engine that doesn't leak oil like a Saudi waterfall on its way to 300k.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edward IV posted:

I know. I was tempted to give my cousins in Taiwan a call to see what the pricing and used market for Levorgs are like there at least to see what kind of money I'll need to commit to start with.

If it weren't for the fact that I was sightseeing with my aunt and grandparents, I would have been gushing all over this. This was actually the second one I saw in the wild in southern Taiwan so they exist but aren't common. Now that I think about it, Subaru in general were fairly uncommon when I was last there in 2016.

I just finished my cursed miata build in which the engine failed 3 different ways after rebuild require removal each time. Nothing loving scares me anymore.

That said it I would absolutely stuff an FA24DIT with STI 6 speed into a levorg. But oh God the money you'd have to throw at a project like that would be immense.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
When I bought my Legacy the importer was also selling a JDM Levorg GT, which is an FA20 making ~300hp. It was a seriously nice car. Shame you won't get them into the US for another 20 years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You need a donor body / VIN to assemble a kit car and you're not gonna have one 'cause they don't exist here. Sorry

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Edward IV posted:

That Buick looks like a monster truck in comparison. The Subaru looks lowered a little, but that Buick just looks WAY off.

So that's the Levorg? It's.... sexy. Especially with that drop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

That Buick looks like a monster truck in comparison. The Subaru looks lowered a little, but that Buick just looks WAY off.

That's a Mercedes GLC.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Charles posted:

That's a Mercedes GLC.

GLC coupe. It’s hideous.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

Three years and I still dont get sick of looking at it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It probably won't embed but this one is very good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFils_9H5-3/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I like looking at it every time you post it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Edward IV posted:

God, I want one of those things so loving bad.

California Did A Thing where all cars have to be zero-emissions by 2035, I would absolutely make a nice Levorg my last gas car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is wheel selection really limited on the latest Subaru Impreza Sport for some reason? I noticed Tire Rack only offers 18" wheels for the sport trim, but I can go to 15" for others. I know the brake rotors are about 0.7" inch bigger in front, but I'd figure you could get 16"s or 17"s fitted at least.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What size rotors does it have? 294mm is the old wrx size and 16s fit over those. 316mm Legacy gt/ new wrx rotors need 17s.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It gives it in inches as 11.6" but that's 294.6mm. I wonder why Tire Rack only offers 18" packages, maybe they just haven't tested one. It's almost certainly the same brakes as the WRX.

I was just curious as I'd have to buy some winter tires + preferrably wheels.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh my. I want this one day!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Munkeylord posted:

Oh my. I want this one day!

And that day would be May 2039. :negative:

And that's assuming importation of internal combustion engine vehicles don't become restricted or banned and it should probably go without saying that those of you in California are poo poo out of luck.

Charles posted:

You need a donor body / VIN to assemble a kit car and you're not gonna have one 'cause they don't exist here. Sorry

So how does Left Hand Utes make vehicles that they claim can be registered in all 50 states? Holden and Ford utes and wagons don't exist here either yet LHU is making and selling them since 2013. That's an awfully long time for the feds to not take notice as well as a considerable amount of money and work that they have to put into the whole racket to run by the seat of their pants.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Could probably make one by hand before that time

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Edward IV posted:

And that's assuming importation of internal combustion engine vehicles don't become restricted or banned and it should probably go without saying that those of you in California are poo poo out of luck.

So how does Left Hand Utes make vehicles that they claim can be registered in all 50 states? Holden and Ford utes and wagons don't exist here either yet LHU is making and selling them since 2013. That's an awfully long time for the feds to not take notice as well as a considerable amount of money and work that they have to put into the whole racket to run by the seat of their pants.

Use a G8 / GTO / SS / Caprice. You need two cars to make one.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles posted:

Use a G8 / GTO / SS / Caprice. You need two cars to make one.

Oh okay. So it's not impossible; just expensive due to needing two cars. On the other hand when the only other option is to wait another 19 years for them to become legal to import, this will probably be preferable for those that are inclined and have the means to do so.

I'm certainly in no position to initiate the process but I may be inclined to jump in on a goon group buy for Levorg bodies. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No, you need a Levorg that was sold here. There is no getting around the system.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Swapping a Crosstrek would be far more feasible. These guys did it with a FA24 from an Ascent and 6MT from an STI. 500 at the wheels:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907007

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles posted:

No, you need a Levorg that was sold here. There is no getting around the system.

So how does a G8 / GTO / SS / Caprice equate to a Holden Ute and Wagon, then? Is it that a G8 / GTO / SS / Caprice is a Holden Commodore by a different name, badge, and body panels and the differences in body style is of no concern? Is the Levorg and WRX different enough to not fall under that legal murkiness? How are they able to sell a Ford Falcon Ute since there aren't any modern (rebadged) Falcons in the US as far as I'm aware.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I didn't know they're doing Ford Utes and I don't know enough to say. It's not on their website.
However, the Pontiacs and Chevrolet SS / Caprice PPV are just rebadged Holdens.
You need a United States VIN no matter what. I don't know enough about the kit car laws to say if it's truly legal or not. Just that you have to destroy 2 cars to make one. By some of the stuff they wrote on their website it seemed like they were just VIN swapping in some cases which is murky.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Swapping a Crosstrek would be far more feasible. These guys did it with a FA24 from an Ascent and 6MT from an STI. 500 at the wheels:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907007

But the crosstrek is a loving bloaty-rear end whale! T_T

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any current favorite source for Subaru parts / accessories?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But the crosstrek is a loving bloaty-rear end whale! T_T

Crosstrek is just a raised Impreza. That's smaller than the Levorg (it looks like the Levorg is really an Impreza with a streched body, it has the same wheelbase)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you can legally get a Holden Ute on the road then you should also legally be able to do so with a Levorg.

I suspect in both cases it's actually somewhat less than legal.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Charles posted:

Crosstrek is just a raised Impreza. That's smaller than the Levorg (it looks like the Levorg is really an Impreza with a streched body, it has the same wheelbase)

It's a *heavier* impreza with a higher center of gravity and, last I checked, an engine that was still felt underpowered for its size.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's a *heavier* impreza with a higher center of gravity and, last I checked, an engine that was still felt underpowered for its size.
Ah, I thought we meant exterior dimensions.
Yeah, they added a 2.5L option for this year, otherwise 0-60 is over 10 seconds, at least with the CVT.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
the birth of our second kid means its time to retire my passed-down 2001 prelude for a 4 door so the wife doesn't have the only baby hauler in the family. im picking up my 2020 wrx sport-tech in a week :cool: i'm in the vancouver/seattle climate area so i'm guessing some all seasons will be going on pretty quick, any suggestions? i usually get tires at costco.

best fuel around here is usually 91, chevron has 94 but its pricey. is 91 going to be ok?

test drove a used 2018 wrx and the clutch was pretty... different than my nicely worn in prelude's. felt like i was learning to drive manual again for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

large hands posted:

the birth of our second kid means its time to retire my passed-down 2001 prelude for a 4 door so the wife doesn't have the only baby hauler in the family. im picking up my 2020 wrx sport-tech in a week :cool: i'm in the vancouver/seattle climate area so i'm guessing some all seasons will be going on pretty quick, any suggestions? i usually get tires at costco.

best fuel around here is usually 91, chevron has 94 but its pricey. is 91 going to be ok?

test drove a used 2018 wrx and the clutch was pretty... different than my nicely worn in prelude's. felt like i was learning to drive manual again for the first time

My favorite thing to do is look at the ratings on Tire Rack. I think this is the same size as your car, 245/40/18:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...minLoadRating=S
I think the Continental two down is what I have on my Mazda and they've been great, although I haven't used them in snow; I have another set for snow tires. Looks like the top two are even better, including for snow.