Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Used Model 3 also the most likely to have a catastrophic failure.

How so? They have long drivetrain warranties, so I wouldn't be very worried about buying a used Model 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Wibla posted:

How so? They have long drivetrain warranties, so I wouldn't be very worried about buying a used Model 3.

It doesn't need to be a drivetrain failure to brick the car. The infamous MCU failure comes to mind...you can't control anything on a model 3 if the center console fails.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll also give the usual "you probably don't need AWD" caveats

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

It doesn't need to be a drivetrain failure to brick the car. The infamous MCU failure comes to mind...you can't control anything on a model 3 if the center console fails.

What's this? I'm not familiar with a common MCU failure mode on model 3s. Is this with the v2.5 hardware?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gamesguy posted:

I seriously doubt you'll see that failure mode on the 3 or Y, as expanded upon below. It's a good point, though - just not very applicable to the 3/Y.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

What's this? I'm not familiar with a common MCU failure mode on model 3s. Is this with the v2.5 hardware?

This applies to older S/X cars, generally MCU1. Excessive logging to a (too small?) eMMC means they will eventually fail. Tesla has finally figured out that they have to take this issue seriously, so they have a repair option that is fairly reasonable (before that you were basically SOL and had to get a new MCU, or hope a third-party repair shop could save your old MCU).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

It's an issue with an EMMC getting hammered with verbose logging. Tesla's made a "fix" by making the chip larger so it's just a band-aid. It's probably safe to assume the Model 3 has this issue as well but there aren't cars old enough to wear the EMMC out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

There isn't as far as I know.. I believe they are referring to the failures of the original MCU1 in the S which are due to the flash chip wearing out.

But this a problem that is going to affect any vehicle using a touch screen for controls, which more and more are moving towards. If the screen dies you are screwed until it is replaced.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I was actually talking about the suspension, control arms, and cast metal parts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Also the Model 3 screen doesn't contain the entire computer, so it is cheaper and easier to replace than in the S/X.

Speleothing posted:

Used Model 3 also the most likely to have a catastrophic failure.

Speleothing posted:

I was actually talking about the suspension, control arms, and cast metal parts.

The suspension is designed to be serviced/replaced, so are the control arms. Which cast metal parts are you worried about? the Y has a pretty big one in the rear, if that gets damaged the car is most likely a writeoff, as any car would be at that point - it takes a lot of force (read: a collision) to really gently caress it up.

E: It does seem that the Model 3 has had a lot of suspension-related issues, so that's certainly something to be on the lookout for when buying.
Not something I would be overly worried about as long as the car is under warranty, but it seems that some of these issues are due to improper installation at the factory, so it's critical to have that inspected by Tesla before the warranty runs out, or get documentation that the car has already been inspected/repaired.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 28, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The eMMC issue doesn't affect any Model 3/Ys.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wibla posted:

The suspension is designed to be serviced/replaced, so are the control arms. Which cast metal parts are you worried about? the Y has a pretty big one in the rear, if that gets damaged the car is most likely a writeoff, as any car would be at that point - it takes a lot of force (read: a collision) to really gently caress it up.

E: It does seem that the Model 3 has had a lot of suspension-related issues, so that's certainly something to be on the lookout for when buying.
Not something I would be overly worried about as long as the car is under warranty, but it seems that some of these issues are due to improper installation at the factory, so it's critical to have that inspected by Tesla before the warranty runs out, or get documentation that the car has already been inspected/repaired.

There have been problems with suspension components snapping where it has become clear they have been fabricated using inappropriate methods - cast aluminium vs forged or extruded / machined steel. That's not something that you can really blame on the factory, it's a decision that's integral to the manufacture. You should not have to replace structural suspension components and these things snapping while you're driving along is a pretty hazardous thing to happen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

There have been problems with suspension components snapping where it has become clear they have been fabricated using inappropriate methods - cast aluminium vs forged or extruded / machined steel. That's not something that you can really blame on the factory, it's a decision that's integral to the manufacture. You should not have to replace structural suspension components and these things snapping while you're driving along is a pretty hazardous thing to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA2EBWFCULg

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll also give the usual "you probably don't need AWD" caveats

Agreed. FWD and actual, legitimate snow tires do the job very very well.

That being said RWD in the winter is a nightmare where we live sooooo

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Crossposting from Cycle Asylum:

LodeRunner posted:

This is the kind of stupid poo poo we get up to. Took our electric motorcycles out to a remote park, siphoned power off them, and cooked a frozen pizza. Because we could. They say camping is hard but this didn't seem so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dRbq8FPvqw

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ulf posted:

Crossposting from Cycle Asylum:

This is a real game changer for camping. I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do this with other EV cars?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In the thread LodeRunner calculates 300-400Wh per pizza. :discourse:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Seriously if I can manage to get myself a Mach E before festival season starts back up that's going to be a game changer

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

McStephenson posted:

Standard reply about AWD acceleration being good if you live in a hilly/mountainous area and have to go uphill in heavy snow, so if you do live in one, keep looking/shopping for AWD

...also, that snow tires (studded if you have serious elevation or heavy snow) are just as important if not more so than AWD.

ooh boy, so excited for the great AI EV winter driving derail of 2019

Welp, after a bit of searching I guess I might as well launch The Great AI EV Winter Driving Derail of 2020.

Mostly on the west coast of Canada we get rain, with the occasional bit of black ice or week of slush to keep things interesting. After we bought the Bolt in January we didn't have anything more severe than a couple of mornings of black ice and the stock tires were fine. Unfortunately my wife's parents are getting quite old and if she needs to get to them she might end up driving the Coquihalla Highway in snow and freezing rain, this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKo_YMs3hns

I'm going to buy a second set of rims since we're planning to keep the car for a while. Unfortunately I've misplaced some of my bookmarks with tire recommendations. Efficiency reductions aren't something we're worried about. I believe the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 were highly recommended.

I've had good performance from Blizzaks on the Smart Car and Michelin whatever-they-are on the F250. Not sure how much you can extrapolate from them to an EV though. I expect the Scandinavians might have some opinions. If anyone knows about crappy winter weather it should be them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I've had good performance from Blizzaks on the Smart Car and Michelin whatever-they-are on the F250. Not sure how much you can extrapolate from them to an EV though. I expect the Scandinavians might have some opinions. If anyone knows about crappy winter weather it should be them.

There is no other topic we Scandinavians love talking about more! The Hakka R2s have been replaced by R3, which is better in mild wet weather. The Goodyear Ultragrip Ice 2 (studless) and Goodyear Ultragrip Ice Arctic (studded) are getting great reviews. I've just driven 900-ish km on a set of Continental ContiVikingContact 7, they are great on snow and also good, quiet and comfortable in the dry so you could easily use them from fall to spring. But I don't know which ones are available in your market, got a webshop to link?

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 29, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have Michelin Pilot Alpins currently which have been excellent and I guess more of a sports car tyre. Also pretty sure I wouldn't have got up to my place in the mountains without AWD a few times last winter and while I have snow chains I'm not convinced I could get my hands into the arches to fit them.

New car is coming on Pirelli P Zero Winters which are a new model so I'll update whether they work or not in November / December.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

There is no other topic we Scandinavians love talking about more! The Hakka R2s have been replaced by R3, which is better in mild wet weather. The Goodyear Ultragrip Ice 2 (studless) and Goodyear Ultragrip Ice Arctic (studded) are getting great reviews. I've just driven 900-ish km on a set of Continental ContiVikingContact 7, they are great on snow and also good, quiet and comfortable in the dry so you could easily use them from fall to spring. But I don't know which ones are available in your market, got a webshop to link?

We definitely get the Continental, not sure how the Blizzak WS90 and Michelin X-Ice XI3 compare but they get pretty good reviews on Tire Rack. I don't live in a place where studs are necessary so haven't checked those out before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't buy studded tires if you don't already know you have a very specific use case for them.

The WS90 is decent, not so much a hard core ice and snow tire. I have them now. The X-Ice series have usually been very decent and quite inexpensive. I had some before I got the WS90, which was on extreme sale.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

McStephenson posted:

Agreed. FWD and actual, legitimate snow tires do the job very very well.

That being said RWD in the winter is a nightmare where we live sooooo

RWD and actual legitimate snow tires also do the job very very well especially with modern traction control and the weight distribution you have on cars like the model 3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i was going to say the best 2wd drive car i've owned in the snow was a 1-series

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Zero Motorcycles (probably still the EV leader in motorcycles) and Polaris (a super-brand that owns a lot of the motorcycling, off-road, watersport, and snow machine industries) are announcing a collab:

quote:

Today we announce that Zero Motorcycles and Polaris Industries have signed a ten-year contract to build an entirely new generation of electric products for off-road enthusiasts. We will collaborate with their teams to use our proprietary electric powertrain systems to electrify their Off-Road Vehicle and snowmobile product lines. We wanted our entire community to know how excited we are that the effortless power of Zero Motorcycles is going to be available in more places than ever before. Take notice world, the Powersports industry will never be the same.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I hope it results in something that can take road tires and CCS charging.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've used the Blizzaks, X-Ice and Pilot Alpin all on non-EV cars (AWD, RWD and FWD) since I do a ton of mountain driving in winter because of ski season. For non-studded tires, I've been happy with the X-Ice and Blizzaks, the Pilot Alpin are not really snow/ice tires, as noted above they are sports tires with some snow capability and I definitively wouldn't recommend them for serious winter weather. I use mostly X-Ice these days as Costco has them for reasonable prices. In true studded tire weather, like deep snow on sheets of ice the Blizzaks and X-Ice do struggle but I have been able to manage ok. I'd love to try out the Hakkas but they are a lot less available in the U.S.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

I hope it results in something that can take road tires and CCS charging.

It seems unlikely they'll make DCFC-capable ATVs and snowmobiles since Zero hasn't made any motorcycles capable of that yet. Also, not many DC chargers out in the woods.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It seems unlikely they'll make DCFC-capable ATVs and snowmobiles since Zero hasn't made any motorcycles capable of that yet. Also, not many DC chargers out in the woods.

I was thinking an adventure bike.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

I was thinking an adventure bike.

I wouldn’t hold my breath. If anyone’s going to make an electric ADV motorcycle with DCFC, it’d be Energica.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The new F-150 and CT will support 7.2kw output. Either would be ideal for something like this. Though, granted that isn't DCFC.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 29, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ilkhan posted:

The new F-150 and CT will support 7.2kw output. Either would be ideal for something like this. Though, granted that isn't DCFC.

I'd love to see DC->DC vehicle-to-vehicle charging some day.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Hexigrammus posted:

Welp, after a bit of searching I guess I might as well launch The Great AI EV Winter Driving Derail of 2020.

I'm going to buy a second set of rims since we're planning to keep the car for a while. Unfortunately I've misplaced some of my bookmarks with tire recommendations. Efficiency reductions aren't something we're worried about. I believe the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 were highly recommended.

We are going to do the hakkapelittas this year, pretty excited. That’s cool for people who had success with RWD! My wife grew up where we live, and while not a WE MUST HAVE AWD person, she is big on no RWD in snow based on experience. The leaf honestly hasn’t been bad, but snow tires for us will be big given how much snow falls out here and how intensely when it does. If we are going 5,000 feet up a narrow canyon with a very high chance of avalanche, I’d rather go with her experience.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ola posted:

. But I don't know which ones are available in your market, got a webshop to link?

I'll end up with one of the local shops - either Costco.ca or Kal Tire since they carry the Nokian R3s.

So, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Nokian, Continental, and a number of brands I don't recognize.

Have to admit to being a bit biased against Continentals due to a bad experience years ago with a VW. Irrational, but it least it cuts down the list a bit.

Surprised at how competitive the Nokians are to the other brands. Still not cheap but not as stratospheric as I expected. Pity Costco doesn't carry them - they have a $70 gift card rebate special on.

McStephenson posted:

We are going to do the hakkapelittas this year, pretty excited. That’s cool for people who had success with RWD! My wife grew up where we live, and while not a WE MUST HAVE AWD person, she is big on no RWD in snow based on experience. The leaf honestly hasn’t been bad, but snow tires for us will be big given how much snow falls out here and how intensely when it does. If we are going 5,000 feet up a narrow canyon with a very high chance of avalanche, I’d rather go with her experience.

I think I'd be a lot more concerned about having AWD or 4WD under those conditions too. Around here 4WD mainly serves to make people overconfident for when the black ice hits. I've had a number of newbie neighbours discover the spring under the road just above the 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill on a cold, icy morning. Fortunately the sapling alders make for a soft(er) landing.

You can always tell who's new. They're the unfamiliar car tailgating you on the same hill the week before.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ilkhan posted:

7.2kw is enough to charge your dirt bike while taking a break from the track/trails though... that'd be a hell of a setup.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

McStephenson posted:

I've found RWD better than FWD for going uphill. In fact my trick for getting up a hill when FWD fails is to reverse. Weight over the driven wheels is the key, that's why sandbags in the trunk is a classic winter trick. RWD pickups with empty beds is perhaps a good example of how you can get very bad experiences with winter RWDing. Where RWD gets its bad rep is probably in oversteer. But I can't remember oversteering on snow without meaning to. I've understeered a lot without meaning to and I've oversteered a lot on purpose.

You can't beat 4WD for traction either way. But while 4WD will get you further, it might just get you further into trouble. The Swedes have done some serious statistics on this, they found that 4WD had the same accident rate as 2WD and that 4WD accidents in winter often had higher energy, meaning that 4WD masked bad conditions. It doesn't help you stop better of course.

All things being equal, I would go for 4WD. But things are rarely equal and there aren't many EVs where you have the option to pick on or the other on the same model. The ID.4 will, it will probably be a great winter car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Surprised at how competitive the Nokians are to the other brands. Still not cheap but not as stratospheric as I expected. Pity Costco doesn't carry them - they have a $70 gift card rebate special on.

They seem pricier compared to the rest over there than over here and I think they wear fairly quickly. But if your winter tire season isn't too long, it shouldn't be too bad on cost per year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ford is cutting the price of the Mach-E

quote:

• Mustang Mach-E Select RWD: used to be $43,895, now $42,895 (down $1,000)
  • Mustang Mach-E Select AWD: used to be $46,595, now $45,595 (down $1,000)
  • Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1 RWD: used to be $51,800, now $49,800 (down $2,000)
  • Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD: used to be $50,000, now $47,000 (down $3,000)
  • Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD: used to be $52,700, now $49,700 (down $3,000)
  • Mustang Mach-E First Edition: used to be $59,300, now $58,300 (down $1,000)

All those prices are listed before the $7,500 federal tax credit, which is still available to Ford EV buyers.

Looks like the only model not seeing a price drop is the GT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nokians are great provided it never gets warm, in my experience. For intermittent winter with occasional above freezing temps they wear really fast and they really only shine on truly bad surfaces. Also loud and soft on dry pavement. But really good on snow, packed snow, and various other types of crud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Elviscat posted:

7.2kw is enough to charge your dirt bike while taking a break from the track/trails though... that'd be a hell of a setup.
Exactly. Though I'm thinking more of charging an electric bike during a track day.

Charging a dirt bike while eating lunch would be too easy.