Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

If it came from here, then oops, but I've found another good villainess one.

The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen Who Will Become the Source of Tragedy Will Devote Herself for the Sake of the People

I am now officially a mark for 'I'm the Final Boss' reincarnation stories.

I want a reverse isekai of an elf coming to our world and destroying capitalism and restoring the planet after we've hosed it up for so long.

Hmm, I don't know how well this fits in the wholesome isekai thread because Stayle's entire deal is extremely suspect. He was forcibly taken away from his mother to become Pryde's new brother and future advisor, and he's introduced wearing magic-sealing handcuffs because "he kept trying to escape and injured the guards to go back home".

It gets worse since the king mentions that they're only taking off the handcuffs after Stayle has been magically-bound to the subordination contract. Note that while Game-Pryde tricked Game-Stayle into signing an enslavement contract, she says she only added in the part about having to obey her every order. The stuff about binding Stayle to Pryde for their entire lives and making it so Stayle can't get away from Pryde after a certain distance are all there in the original contract.

It's also mentioned that abducting a kid and molding them into becoming the future queen's advisor is an actual royal tradition. No one, not even Pryde, has any inclination to ban this tradition or even consider that this is practically slavery. The most Pryde does is ask if the rules can be bent a little so that Stayle can keep in touch with his mom, and it ends with the royals patting themselves in the back because now Stayle gets a monthly letter from his mom. Stayle is also allowed to send a letter to his mom but only once during his birthday, and the king delivers the news like it's some huge loving reward.

It feels like the author is condemning Game-Pryde for tricking Game-Stayle to become her slave, without really examining that they've written the royal family into being "good" masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

sao alternative, re:zero, ascendance of a bookworm?

sao alternative is the one with the pink little bunny girl thats tall in real life, right? that one was good. ive heard of the other two but every time i saw blurbs about them they sounded repellant, but that might have been those blurbs doing them a disservice. can you tell me more about them? thank you, my good friend endorph.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paper Lion posted:

sao alternative is the one with the pink little bunny girl thats tall in real life, right? that one was good. ive heard of the other two but every time i saw blurbs about them they sounded repellant, but that might have been those blurbs doing them a disservice. can you tell me more about them? thank you, my good friend endorph.

Re: Zero is a nice dramatic one based on the idea that the main dude is actually really useless (and not in the "secretly the best" way) except he's cursed to rewind time whenever he dies. So he actually has to die a dozen times just to figure out what's going on, let alone solve it. That itself wouldn't be much of a recommendation, but overall it's just way better written than these things normally are? It takes its world pretty seriously, ie: it's not just a video game, and the characters themselves are more than just their archetypes too. The emotional toll of dying constantly for people who don't even remember half of what you've done for them is also portrayed rather well, not that the main character is let off the hook for his sometimes-toxic attitude either.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 24, 2020

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

so, groundhog day by way of steins;gate basically? yeah thats very dissimilar to all the other descriptions of it i had heard until now. i will give that one a try, thank you

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Groundhog day by violent death that takes an emotional toll, oh, and he basically dies if he shares the secret. It's good, but sometimes I needed to take a break from watching just because it's a bit much and you need to process. Has good payoffs though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Paper Lion posted:

Bookworm's about a girl who wants to read books in a medieval fantasy setting where the peasant class is illiterate and the printing press doesn't exist, so books are things only for nobles. Very slow, very chill, mostly an exercise in steady worldbuilding.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Did Medical Return get dropped? I noticed it was deleted off of Levitan's site, and I had to find it somewhere else after 80 (and it's not as good). I understand dropping a series, but why delete them from your site?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I should really watch Re:Zero but I did like it in Isekai Quartet when he's chatting with Kazuma and is just like "Yeah I live in this mansion with a half elf chick and her two hot maids life's pretty tough" and Kazuma is utterly repulsed and calls him a whiny baby bitch

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kirbysuperstar posted:

I should really watch Re:Zero but I did like it in Isekai Quartet when he's chatting with Kazuma and is just like "Yeah I live in this mansion with a half elf chick and her two hot maids life's pretty tough" and Kazuma is utterly repulsed and calls him a whiny baby bitch

Which is a wonderful joke in itself given everything that happens to Subaru in that mansion.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

LorneReams posted:

Did Medical Return get dropped? I noticed it was deleted off of Levitan's site, and I had to find it somewhere else after 80 (and it's not as good). I understand dropping a series, but why delete them from your site?

It's possible they got some kind of copyright notice, although my understanding is that medical return isn't licensed. SK scans, which happens have the same editor proofreader and translator, picked it up from chapter 81.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

kirtar posted:

It's possible they got some kind of copyright notice, although my understanding is that medical return isn't licensed. SK scans, which happens have the same editor proofreader and translator, picked it up from chapter 81.

Thanks! I found some other group who tried to pick it up and they were horrible.

Just thinking, but we should have google doc or something that lists all of these and gives some real plot summaries and some ratings, as well as where to find them.

I actually keep an excel because I have a bad memory and am currently reading like a hundred different ones.

Levitan also dropped Returner's Magic (118 was the last)...WTF is going on. Looks like SK also picked it up. I wish I could find a way to download them in these cases because just deleting 100+ episodes of something with no warning seems a bit much.

I used Discord for the first time LOL "If you want to know about A Returner's Magic Should be Special, it was picked by an official English publisher, so we we will only host the last 2 released chapters.."

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 24, 2020

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Re:Zero is kinda lovely cuz Subaru has kinda hosed ideas about how helping a girl makes her owe him things and its called out

But he doesnt learn poo poo and goes right back into his habits

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

LorneReams posted:

Levitan also dropped Returner's Magic (118 was the last)...WTF is going on. Looks like SK also picked it up. I wish I could find a way to download them in these cases because just deleting 100+ episodes of something with no warning seems a bit much.

I used Discord for the first time LOL "If you want to know about A Returner's Magic Should be Special, it was picked by an official English publisher, so we we will only host the last 2 released chapters.."
This one is also a case of it's even the same translator, though it looks like probably different editor.

RE: medical return
Haemi angry.

E:
Turns out, yes it was indeed Leviatan getting DMCAed and SK picking up most of them.
https://imgur.com/zGvrWve

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 28, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't realize that Acendence of a bookworm was splitting into two different serieses after the first one and continuing like that so I just picked up and tore through the next chunk and oh my god, the screaming hasn't stopped, the way they run the orphanage is nightmarish.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't realize that Acendence of a bookworm was splitting into two different serieses after the first one and continuing like that so I just picked up and tore through the next chunk and oh my god, the screaming hasn't stopped, the way they run the orphanage is nightmarish.

Ok, at this point I need to continue watching the anime (I stopped after I realized they were going to skip many of the mundane stuff) just to see if the anime changed the orphanage part, because in the light novels, the orphanage is one of the biggest humanizers of Maine's arc.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

SAO Alt suffers from being (as far as the anime has gone, anyway) exclusively about the Squad Jam tournaments. After a point it just gets a bit samey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Ok, at this point I need to continue watching the anime (I stopped after I realized they were going to skip many of the mundane stuff) just to see if the anime changed the orphanage part, because in the light novels, the orphanage is one of the biggest humanizers of Maine's arc.

The orphans are malnourished and horrifically underfed living in such squalor that I'm not even sure if they have a light source. I had no idea there was an anime, I'm so out of the loop on anime, I've only been reading manga and occasionally going, 'oh yeah, I gotta finish the new digimon anime' and geting two episodes in before forgetting to focus on it for more episodes.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 29, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Azusa needs to marry Beelzebub, already. She's got a stable and prestigious job!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The orphans are malnourished and horrifically underfed living in such squalor that I'm not even sure if they have a light source. I had no idea there was an anime, I'm so out of the loop on anime, I've only been reading anime and occasionally going, 'oh yeah, I gotta finish the new digimon anime' and geting two episodes in before forgetting to focus on it for more episodes.

yeah in the anime before Main agrees to take on the orphanage they're literally being slowly starved to death in a windowless box sealed from the outside. the character designer did a good job making those kids look extremely underfed

Main is outright told at first that if she tries to help the orphans it could be politically disastrous, and that's almost certainly going to be true next season

main does immediately improve their lives in the anime once she takes over the orphanage though, giving them an education, and like, food and poo poo

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't remember if I posted this or not so I'm going to post it again.

Ihoujin, Dungeon Ni Moguru

Modern-day japanese guy desperately in need of money for his lil' sis gets hired by a shady-as-gently caress company to go to another world and challenge a dungeon. Goes in with like, 5 other people and a ton of supplies including some crazy AI barrel robots. poo poo goes downhill pretty much immediately but he perseveres.

Early on he meets a fishman and gives him sunglasses resulting in very cool looking fish buddy.

Also has a very exquisite catGOD.

9 chapters out so far, hasn't been anything seriously objectionable yet that I've seen. Might go downhill in the future or might not.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been reading that and I don't know if it's original to the text or the translator's interpretation but I haven't been terribly impressed with the dialogue, things like very liberal use of "retard" as an insult get very old very quickly. The story and setting so far have been interesting enough to keep me reading it but I feel like it's constantly on the verge of going sideways into something that will make me want to drop it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I read some of the web novel, but gave up after a while, mostly because the author spent three times as many pages on cooking than on dungeon exploration.

Can't recall seeing anything like "retard" in the Japanese text, but it's been a few years now.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Japanese doesn't have many direct insults, only progressively ruder ways to call someone "you" (since the language and culture is usually very particular about correct forms of address based on social standing), so most slurs/insults/swears are inserted by translators based on context.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

darkgray posted:

I read some of the web novel, but gave up after a while, mostly because the author spent three times as many pages on cooking than on dungeon exploration.

Sometimes it feels like that’s what goons would prefer

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Isekais and cooking tends to be lazy dumb poo poo like them introducing loving mayonnaise or soy sauce to the locals, which always somehow blows their minds

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

None of these jabronis have spent months watching a lot of Townsends and it loving shows

khy posted:

Modern-day japanese guy desperately in need of money for his lil' sis gets hired by a shady-as-gently caress company to go to another world and challenge a dungeon. Goes in with like, 5 other people and a ton of supplies including some crazy AI barrel robots. poo poo goes downhill pretty much immediately but he perseveres.

Early on he meets a fishman and gives him sunglasses resulting in very cool looking fish buddy.

Also has a very exquisite catGOD.

9 chapters out so far, hasn't been anything seriously objectionable yet that I've seen. Might go downhill in the future or might not.

Ophe rules

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 2, 2020

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

None of these jabronis have spent months watching a lot of Townsends and it loving shows
would kickstart a townsends isekai

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Uncle Khasim posted:

would kickstart a townsends isekai

Townsends, Primitive Technology and Mr. Tfue all get isekai'd to the same world together...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Isekais and cooking tends to be lazy dumb poo poo like them introducing loving mayonnaise or soy sauce to the locals, which always somehow blows their minds

To be fair, pretty much anything in modern cooking would, depending on region.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

To be fair, pretty much anything in modern cooking would, depending on region.

Guy Fieri goes to Ivalice

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

Japanese doesn't have many direct insults, only progressively ruder ways to call someone "you" (since the language and culture is usually very particular about correct forms of address based on social standing), so most slurs/insults/swears are inserted by translators based on context.

They do, however, have a number of ways to call people stupid of varying levels of rudeness. Baka.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

They do, however, have a number of ways to call people stupid of varying levels of rudeness. Baka.

Yeah, 'dumbass' translates across all language barriers though this guy seems like a real prick so I could see it either way. Is it from the translators adding that in while it's unnecessary or is he the kind of shithead to say that regardless? I'm not sure.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, 'dumbass' translates across all language barriers though this guy seems like a real prick so I could see it either way. Is it from the translators adding that in while it's unnecessary or is he the kind of shithead to say that regardless? I'm not sure.

Well even if he is an rear end in a top hat who might use that word in real life, that's not really a reason to use a slur (unless it's important that other people react to the slur).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 2, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

This is a fun little read. Thanks for the rec

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga's at the point in the story where it veers hard away from every distinctive quality it might have had for generic isekai dreck.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the manga's at the point in the story where it veers hard away from every distinctive quality it might have had for generic isekai dreck.

Well poo poo that's disappointing. I got into the manga but haven't touched the LN. Still, sometimes the manga adaptations change poo poo up so maybe there's hope?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

idk what it is about re:zero but i cannot sit through it at all. it ticks similar cringe receptors as the office does. this is a bad thing, i hate the office. only managed to get through like 3 episodes of it because i have to pause it constantly and come back later. think it might just not be for me. bookworm sounds boring too and not really for me. keep in mind this is all coming from someone that was able to at least sit through that doom march isekai show a while ago. it wasnt good, but it was watchable. but very boring and slow. idk. might just have to watch log horizon season 1 again or something. or replay a .hack game. sorry to be a party pooper. if anyone has any other good recommendations i will try them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if subaru is making you cringe that's because he is a CRINGEY MOTHERFUCKER for a while, but that's also an important part of his character arc

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I also could stand the main guy in Re:zero. In the two episodes I watched he did unfunny shtick, and was basically everything I dislike about isekai protagonists.

He gets less awful? Is there a specific episode does that happen in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Oh hey fun you're talking about re:zero. The mother's basement guy did an episode about the psychological horror of it like, 4 days ago.

https://youtu.be/8mGGfYMI-6Q