Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

My PhD program had a few female Saudi students, the interesting bit was that the Saudi government would also subsidise a male relative to move over and chaperone their entire lives, paying them tens of thousands for the privilege. These dudes seemed invariably to be complete failsons who just wanted to get wasted and play videogames, while disapproving of anything the women wanted to do that wasn't cooking them dinner after a day in the lab.

Having dated one it can't quite be all of them, although there were visits by relatives and whatnot.

Of course then again there's the death penalty to think of. Though IIRC when I last looked online something like a third of saudi women in the US have a non-muslim partner, but then, well, I don't quite know how that works.

Theocracies (official or functional) leave something to be desired. Not that that's even directly based on quran.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

big scary monsters posted:

If you lived in catered halls you missed out on interesting people like my flatmate from Oman who at home had seven sisters who did all the housework and had never cooked so much as a cup of tea before in his life. His technique for cooking frozen meatballs was to heat up about an inch of oil in a pot, stand well back from the hob and toss them in, still frozen, resulting in huge explosions of oil all over the kitchen (that he never cleaned up). Other culinary innovations included his famous boiled whole chicken, eaten with no seasoning or sides, and boiled lettuce in milk.

Amazing. More recently I had a German flatmate who was awesome but had zero life skills. I remember wandering into the kitchen to find her munching her way through a packet of raw bacon.

Flicking through TV channels once she also settled on Saving Private Ryan and a few minutes into the Omaha Beach scene asked me "in this war the Americans, British and Germans all on the same side, yes?"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

These dudes seemed invariably to be complete failsons who just wanted to get wasted and play videogames, while disapproving of anything the women wanted to do that wasn't cooking them dinner after a day in the lab.

Some types of guy transcend all cultural and national boundaries, its seems.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Having dated one it can't quite be all of them, although there were visits by relatives and whatnot.

Of course then again there's the death penalty to think of. Though IIRC when I last looked online something like a third of saudi women in the US have a non-muslim partner, but then, well, I don't quite know how that works.

Theocracies (official or functional) leave something to be desired. Not that that's even directly based on quran.

I assume it depends on different countries visa provisions. Just anecdotal chat anyway, I'm not trying to make any more definitive point than "theocracy weird", or maybe "patriarchy will always allow failsons to rise to the top"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I've asked various officers about it and they all denied it was radioactive, but the grunts knew what was up. No way any food should be that shade of bright-highlight-marker-yellow
Radiatoes.

UKMT March 2021 -

Private Speech posted:

Theocracies (official or functional) leave something to be desired.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

knox_harrington posted:

Flicking through TV channels once she also settled on Saving Private Ryan and a few minutes into the Omaha Beach scene asked me "in this war the Americans, British and Germans all on the same side, yes?"

That reminds me of when my sister asked me, without a hint of irony, whether I Am Legend was based on a true story.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The food doesn't need to be posh for catered halls to be a posh thing.

I'm starting to admire your willingness to die on this dumbest of hills

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

That reminds me of when my sister asked me, without a hint of irony, whether I Am Legend was based on a true story.
Yes, it's based on the events of next year.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

I'm starting to admire your willingness to die on this dumbest of hills

You can take my plastic tray from my cold dead hands.

I did actually live in catered halls for a year.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

knox_harrington posted:

Amazing. More recently I had a German flatmate who was awesome but had zero life skills. I remember wandering into the kitchen to find her munching her way through a packet of raw bacon.

You need to buy her an account

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I knew a German that ate raw bacon, must be a thing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

stev posted:

One time I got so stoned that I got halfway through Pirates of the Caribbean before I realised it wasn’t a documentary.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

knox_harrington posted:

Food in my university halls was disgusting unidentifiable slop and very much not posh, but still way better than food at an army barracks in Catterick I had the displeasure of having to eat.
When I was doing a Y2k contact at British Sugar the food in the canteen was so terrible that after the first day they gave us a free food card. It was still terrible, but at least we didn't have to pay for it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

keep punching joe posted:

It is indeed a thing, czechs do it sometimes too (but it's usually sold as 'german' bacon).

I think the preparation is different somehow from your typical bacon though.

e: Hilariously there's also "English bacon" (anglicka slanina) which AFAICT has nothing to do with England, it's thin slices of smoked bacon that's also eaten raw.

this thing:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 29, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Who...did she think they were fighting? :shobon: These guys?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

knox_harrington posted:

Arguably she would be right. Like statistically there was bound to be some Germans who fled the Nazi’s and who fought for the allies.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

TACD posted:

One time I got so stoned that I got halfway through Pirates of the Caribbean before I realised it wasn’t a documentary.

I didn't even make it to the halfway point before i fell asleep. What a needlessly long film that was

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Arguably she would be right. Like statistically there was bound to be some Germans who fled the Nazi’s and who fought for the allies.
There were a bunch more English that fought for the Nazis.

Which is pretty fun when modern gammons say "we didn't let Brits who fought for Germany back into the country after the war" regarding people who left to fight for ISIS, because we did. Germany (and the forces occupying it) didn't want those dickheads around while trying to rebuild, so they were deported right back and put on trial to see if they'd done any war crimes, which is the exact same as what should have happened with the ISIS fans.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

stev posted:

I know someone who asked the same question, in equal seriousness. for the original Independence Day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You can take my plastic tray from my cold dead hands.

I did actually live in catered halls for a year.

Ah, this is all an elaborate ploy so you can claim to be posh. Makes more sense now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

SpaceCommie posted:

Camrath all your fudgescapades got me in the mood to try making some toffees.

They came out ok, certainly nothing special but it was a fun way to spend an evening.

Certainly not going to stop getting far off your fudge though. You work magic with your fudge.

Those look damned nice! I have yet to try toffees (partly because my teeth can’t really deal with them well after a childhood spent crunching gobstoppers and I refuse to make things I can’t eat myself) but if they’re suitably soft then..

There is room for more than one candy maker in the UKMT- if my hobby-turned-business inspires others to do the same then that’s a net positive for the happiness level of this little community.

Also given I am apparently a GCHQ asset, I’m sure a black-bag job could be arranged if necessary ;£

Edit: Today is packaging day, and the Beans Up The Backside is turning out to be a real bastard to slice- apologies if it’s not as neatly cut as most of my product!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 29, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol my first on campus workshop is tomorrow and is going to be 60 people ffs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Smoked/cured meat is fairly common here in Norway at least. Though I've never actually eaten bacon raw.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Boris has just announced a new plan for shaking up the FE/Uni model which sounds suspiciously like Skills Wallets 2.0, which seemingly manages to miss the point entirely.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if its been properly smoked, which english bacon isn't particularly, then it should be safe to eat between that, the cure and the fact pork in the UK is essentially safe to eat rare. Eating english bacon raw sounds awful though

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

There were a bunch more English that fought for the Nazis.

The Germans made active efforts to set up a British SS Division.

Meanwhile in Britain:

quote:

should have reported to a police station for internment as an enemy alien. Instead he assumed the identity of a dead schoolfriend, Peter Stevens, and joined the RAF.

He trained as a bomber pilot for 18 months, all the while the subject of a manhunt by British police

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Stevens_(RAF_officer)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

The Germans made active efforts to set up a British SS Division.

I mean, they did, yes. They got a grand total of 27 men at any one time, which is a bit of a weak division even by 1945 German standards I think. That's not even a full platoon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I mean, they did, yes. They got a grand total of 27 men at any one time, which is a bit of a weak division even by 1945 German standards I think. That's not even a full platoon.

Would this be the entirely fiction 27 men https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_Garc%C3%ADa?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheRat posted:

Smoked/cured meat is fairly common here in Norway at least. Though I've never actually eaten bacon raw.

I mean, like, Prosciutto is fairly available over here too and is basically the same principle.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Those look damned nice! I have yet to try toffees (partly because my teeth can’t really deal with them well after a childhood spent crunching gobstoppers and I refuse to make things I can’t eat myself) but if they’re suitably soft then..

That's very kind to say! It's really wierd some of them are really soft, but like bits of some of them are really crunchy. I think the brown sugar may have been to clumpy and so little bits caramelised together. I don't have a thermomiter so it was all guess work, but they're good enough for a bit of a sugary pick me up.

Camrath posted:

There is room for more than one candy maker in the UKMT- if my hobby-turned-business inspires others to do the same then that’s a net positive for the happiness level of this little community.

The Proletariat and the Chocolate Factory.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

lol my first on campus workshop is tomorrow and is going to be 60 people ffs
Still waiting to hear from literally anyone at my uni if distanced learning is ok. They're boasting that they're rotating 50% in class, 50% online so that everyone gets a chance at in-person learning ehile keeping class sizes low.

I don't want in person learning, I want to work from home goddamnit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Would this be the entirely fiction 27 men https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_Garc%C3%ADa?

Agent Garbo was the first poster. Claimed to have dozens of lurkers supporting him, spouted plausible-sounding bullshit spun from whole cloth with just enough verifiable truth to fool people, and had regrettable attitudes to women. Dude would be loving king of Reddit if he's been born 60 years later.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just want to add that yes I am familiar with prosciutto and e.g. speck, but bacon as sold in the UK is supposed to be cooked. She was also unable to cook anything or operate any domestic appliances. She was probably my favourite flatmate though.

Live from the Knox Fridge are pig products à consommer cru:

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 29, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

minema posted:

I'm doubtful that surgical masks are actually fully effective as PPE against covid when you're spending all day caring for covid patients but they say it is. I don't know what health professionals in other countries are doing though. Also PHE don't include physiotherapy where you're actively trying to teach a patient how to cough and bring up sputum as a high risk procedure and therefore by their guidelines we don't need to wear the ffp3 mask. Also chest compressions during CPR are also apparently not high risk.

I can't help but feel like they looked at the PPE supply and then made the guidelines rather than the other way around but I don't actually have any science to back that up.

Wait were 6 months into this and the NHS STILL don't have n95s?

... Ive had them for months

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

big scary monsters posted:

If you lived in catered halls you missed out on interesting people like my flatmate from Oman who at home had seven sisters who did all the housework and had never cooked so much as a cup of tea before in his life. His technique for cooking frozen meatballs was to heat up about an inch of oil in a pot, stand well back from the hob and toss them in, still frozen, resulting in huge explosions of oil all over the kitchen (that he never cleaned up). Other culinary innovations included his famous boiled whole chicken, eaten with no seasoning or sides, and boiled lettuce in milk.

A friend had a Chinese flatmate in halls who would refuse to go near him if he was in the kitchen for some unknown reason, to the point where he'd try and cook food using whatever equipment was on the opposite side of the room to my friend. This lead to some weird scenario like try to cook spaghetti under the grill because the pan was near my friend, and make toast on the hob.

We ran an actual cooking rota in my 1st year flat one guy said "I can't cook except for one thing: chicken tonight and rice, so if you're good with that that's what I'll do every week" and he did and it ruled. It was great because you didn't have to think about cooking 4 nights a week and could come back wasted and there'd probably be something in the fridge. Or once on the carpet in a pile with a broken vacuum next to it after someone tried to hoover up mince.

The catered halls were reputedly shite unless you were in the ultra posh ones where you had to wear evening dress or some rubbish (Bristol around 2002).

Edit: I ate pancetta (?) raw once because I thought it was cured like salami and didn't know you were supposed to cook it. Do not recommend this as it tastes of nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Agent Garbo was the first poster. Claimed to have dozens of lurkers supporting him, spouted plausible-sounding bullshit spun from whole cloth with just enough verifiable truth to fool people, and had regrettable attitudes to women. Dude would be loving king of Reddit if he's been born 60 years later.
Ganon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

diogenes was the first poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Took me a moment to get past "what does the legend of zelda have to do with it?"