Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i never realized there was secrecy around deathspell omega's line-up. do they acknowledge the rest of the band members?

I think the only one who is 100% anonymous is the drummer. Mikko Aspa is recognizable from his voice, and the other two dudes were already in the pseudonymous incarnation of the band.

e: ugh, snype. Here, have some riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9W5cJoHbw

I posted this in the discord a couple of days ago and am still digging it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smirr posted:

I think the only one who is 100% anonymous is the drummer. Mikko Aspa is recognizable from his voice, and the other two dudes were already in the pseudonymous incarnation of the band.

e: ugh, snype. Here, have some riffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9W5cJoHbw

I posted this in the discord a couple of days ago and am still digging it

I'm pretty sure Mikko has also talked about being in the band before as well.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually went back and listened to United Abominations over the summer and the lyrics just loving kill the album. And I used to enjoy the poo poo out of that album so it really bummed me out. Dave always struck me as a dumb conspiracy theorist but his views consistently got worse over time.

On actual good content, does anybody know any good albums that feature the guitar work of Fountainhead at length? I know he's on one Obscura album and a guest on some other tech death tracks, but I'd be interested to hear a full album's worth of his work.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm about 100 2020 power metal albums deep and I've been posting some of the good ones from time to time, but this slow afternoon at work seems like a good time to recap some of the best of the bunch. Non hyperlinked means it's not on Bandcamp so you'll have to jam it on Spotify, Apple, Google, etc.

The best:
Terra Atlantica - Age of Steam. Band desperately wants to be Timeless Miracle, which is one of my favorite bands ever so that works out perfectly.

The rest of the best:
Shadowquest - Gallows of Eden
Ilium - Carcinogeist
Lor - Edge of Eternity
Fairyland - Osyrhianta
Stargazery - Constellation
Operus - Score of Nightmares
Veonity - Sorrows
Lepoka - El Baile de los Caídos
Falconer - From a Dying Ember
The Zeramin Game - Memories of Old
Sacred Outcry - Damned For All Time

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dehtraen posted:

When he got called out for being full of poo poo he first said he was joking, then that he needed to choose his words better, and finally some rambling free speech / “the world is too PC and you can’t speak your mind” statement.

I hope the way he phrased it was "WHADDAYOUMEAN I can't speak my mind!?"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Burton C Bell announced today he is officially leaving Fear Factory. Seems he’s been drained legally over some infighting with other members.

quote:

IN MY OWN WORDS

I consider myself a private person, preferring to keep my personal business to myself and trusted loved ones. I make my public statements with thoughtful intent, never deviating from the truth, in spite of the consistent series of dishonest representations and unfounded accusations from past and present band members; a toxic drama I choose to not be part of.

The past several years have been profoundly agonizing, with these members bleeding my passion with depraved deceit. As a direct consequence of their greed, these three have dragged me through the unjust, judicial system, resulting in the legal attrition that has financially crippled me. In the end, these three members have taken possession of my principal livelihood. However, they will never take my 30-year legacy as the beating heart of the machine. A legacy that no other member, past or present, can ever claim.

So, it is after considerable, contemplative soul searching that I have come to the realization that I cannot align myself with someone whom I do not trust, nor respect. Therefore, I am announcing to my fans my departure from Fear Factory, to focus all my energy and attention toward the continuing success for Ascension of The Watchers, and all my future endeavors.

I am very proud of the Ascension of The Watchers’ latest album, APOCRYPHA. The writing and recording process for APOCRYPHA has been a truly cathartic and artistic journey of exploration and growth for me. Reigniting my passions for my writing, allowing my music to flourish, enabling my soul to soar, saving me from the real hell that engulfed a significant part of my daily life. Collaborating with talented, kindred spirits has truly created an inspirational environment of support and mutual respect, a spirit I have missed for a very long time.

I would like to thank all of my fans for their continued support throughout my career. I am very proud of my achievements, but, it is time for me to move forward. Now I look to the future with open eyes, open mind and open heart, as my artistic path strives for even greater success in music, writing and my art. It’s true, “the end is always the beginning”. The soul is free from the machine.

– Burton C. Bell

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Burton C Bell announced today he is officially leaving Fear Factory. Seems he’s been drained legally over some infighting with other members.

there was a whole thing a week or so ago over dino cazares doing a kickstarter to re-record parts of their next album, and bell said it was a scam. and cazares said something to the effect that there were separate suits he and bell had against the other two original members for ownership of the band that cost a lot of money, and cazares later bought out bell's share after they both won their cases

Dehtraen posted:

He also believes Obama staged the Aurora Shooting / Wisconsin shooting and that Obama isn’t a US Citizen. When he got called out for being full of poo poo he first said he was joking, then that he needed to choose his words better, and finally some rambling free speech / “the world is too PC and you can’t speak your mind” statement.

honestly the most offensive thing he's ever said was he thought rick santorum would make a good president

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Has this album been posted in the thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGt7lhOuxc

Because it's great. It's kind of a relentless vortex of old school grimy death metal, but there are a lot of great riffs that pop up throughout (at 1:35 for example).

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
those are some good riffs

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Also the new Anaal Nathrakh leaked a few days early and is solid but maybe a little disappointing?

Hard to gauge with a band that is pretty even-keeled across basically it's entire discography, but only a couple tracks stood out to me... mainly the first and last.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I'm sure it's been posted already, but yesterday I was once again listening to the latest Barghest album and holy poo poo is it good! And so I came to tell you that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vargatron posted:

On actual good content, does anybody know any good albums that feature the guitar work of Fountainhead at length? I know he's on one Obscura album and a guest on some other tech death tracks, but I'd be interested to hear a full album's worth of his work.

I can't stand tech death so I have no idea if it's good or not but he plays lead guitars in a band called NYN

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TeamJesus posted:

Also the new Anaal Nathrakh leaked a few days early and is solid but maybe a little disappointing?

that pretty much sums up their entire output after codex necro

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Too bad about Fear Factory but they've been fighting for years anyway. The last (and final, I guess) album was actually surprisingly good following a couple of stinkers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Uh oh, a new The Reticent album released as well. It's about an Alzheimer's patient's decline.

Welp, I guess I'm going to spend the rest of the day depressed as gently caress after listening to it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Fear Factory were never good though.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i prefer my metal to be about more simple concepts. Like slaying your woman and stabbing your child.

Which brings me to this Incremate band, which was on my bandcamp wishlist, and I don't remember adding it. They have 3 albums, released in 2016, 2018, and 2020. They are good straight forward death metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stMq8372c8

Info about the newest album had this line: "Pure 90's Death Metal - For Beer Drinking Old School Maniacs Only"

And the tags? Well buddy, let me show you the tags:

quote:

90s death metal death thrash metal metal old school death metal oldschool death metal american death metal death metal death thrash metal german metal metal old school death metal oldschool death metal thrash metal Dresden

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

metal magic is actually really good it's like glam with Dime's scoopy ultra-treble guitar tones im always impressed by it

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

TeamJesus posted:

Hard to gauge with a band that is pretty even-keeled across basically it's entire discography, but only a couple tracks stood out to me... mainly the first and last.

I’ve only heard the title track so far and it absolutely rules. If I can find 2-3 strong singles like that on the album I’ll be happy, that’s all I’ve ever expected from Anaal Nathrakh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I've listened to it now.

If you swapped a few words that album could be about my late grandmother. :smith:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A new First Days of Humanity split dropped and the art rules

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

henpod posted:

Too bad about Fear Factory but they've been fighting for years anyway. The last (and final, I guess) album was actually surprisingly good following a couple of stinkers.

I thought their last couple were surprisingly good.

Anyway, they have a complete new album recorded (With Burton's vocals) and Dino apparently did the kickestarter so he could fund re-recording drums and mixing and poo poo. And it will definitely be coming out next year. Allegedly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bwwBFnuyY

:trumppop:

Putin is a goddamn monster on that bass.

(AFAIK Nick Shinz from Job for a Cowboy/Cephalic Carnage is involved, dunno who the others are)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 29, 2020

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Nazzadan posted:

A new First Days of Humanity split dropped and the art rules

expected cool caveman riffs, instead it sounds like they just discovered how to make noise with instruments. So I guess the name isn't wrong

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Varg posted:

it sounds like they just discovered how to make noise with instruments

You have my attention

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

it's just boring grind but have fun

Here's what I was really in the mood for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EKV1O7gJDU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Checked out Dark Forest via Aurora Borealis and I was hooked immediately. Anything closely related that can scratch that same itch?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

BurningBeard posted:

Sup metal goons? This year sucks. Everything is terrible and my motivation is through the floor. I’ve not even been listening to music because of it. I’m trying to come out of the fog. So I know it’s premature, but what have y’all liked best this year? I just want some cool new poo poo to listen to with a minimum of energy expended. Hoping hearing something awesome reignites my interest in tunes.

I will say that the new Unleash The Archers was pretty good. Genre agnostic though, cause I’m nowhere near picky right now.
I'm still behind on this year but here's the stuff that's really jumped out at me so far:

Lament - Visions and a Giant of Nebula
The Ocean - Phanerozoic II
Victory Over The Sun - A Tessitura of Transfiguration
Igorrr - Spirituality and Distortion
Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still
An Autumn For Crippled Children - All Fell Silent, Everything Went Quiet
Infant Island - Beneath

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Varg posted:

expected cool caveman riffs, instead it sounds like they just discovered how to make noise with instruments. So I guess the name isn't wrong

the name is a reference to extremely well known Dutch grind band Last Days of Humanity, and it's not even particularly noisy.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Errr, wait which one? The Industrialist was great but I don't remember hearing anything else particularly good from them since, uh. Archetype? And that one was pretty hit or miss.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
only good thing about fear factory i can say was i once hit burton c bell with a full-sized industrial roll of toilet paper during a performance and he played it off.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Archetype ripped.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I enjoy Genexus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Archetype ripped.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
soul of a new machine/concrete were okay for super dumb early 90s death metal

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vintersorg posted:

Bell has always been a bitch with a persecution complex. First he kicked Dino out and blamed him for it. Then the lawsuit was because he replaced the other two founding members without telling them, and of course blames them for it. Then after bringing Dino back, he was a dick to the newer members and they both left, which he also blames on them (if you can't work with half of SYL, I don't know what to tell you). Now he's leaving the band and blaming it on everyone but himself. Dino's the only original left, unless he reconciles with Herrera & Wolbers because they still have rights to the name. If you have to complain about everyone in your band betraying you every couple years, maybe you're the problem.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Fenrir posted:

Errr, wait which one? The Industrialist was great but I don't remember hearing anything else particularly good from them since, uh. Archetype? And that one was pretty hit or miss.

Genexus. Archetype was great too, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Huh, I just noticed they release a video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hBxTJwqS4

Thread, I may require happy metal. Does such a thing exist?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPojADNGk6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

Huh, I just noticed they release a video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hBxTJwqS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSZX21bH4U