Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yeah none of the doctors at this hospital know what a spleen is but they hardly ever need that knowledge in their daily work so it’s fine

... and it might be, too, but I’m not going to that hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Soricidus posted:

yeah none of the doctors at this hospital know what a spleen is but they hardly ever need that knowledge in their daily work so it’s fine

Do you think we don't know what floating point numbers are? Do you think all doctors know the technical details of each other's jobs? Do you think that nobody in a software development team knows the details of floating point? Do you think your work is as important to your employer as a doctor's is to their patient? Do you think that software changes are irreversible?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 29, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Knowing how things run under the hood is not necessary to write software but is necessary to write good software

The same with math- you can do about okay every day programming with the math you knew at 8 years old. But if you try to enter a field that require statistics or contability you are going to need more than that.

So to be a generic programmer that never write anything but the 90% of stuff people write, you already know everything you will need at 8 years old.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Are we doing the "I can only imagine programmers in my niche, or adjacent niches" thing again? If so, can we explicitly say what our niches are, and be done with it? :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tei posted:

Knowing how things run under the hood is not necessary to write software but is necessary to write good software

The same with math- you can do about okay every day programming with the math you knew at 8 years old. But if you try to enter a field that require statistics or contability you are going to need more than that.

So to be a generic programmer that never write anything but the 90% of stuff people write, you already know everything you will need at 8 years old.

This idea that the only "good software" is confined to specific mathematical fields is exactly the sort of snooty elitism that got us here in the first place.

There's more to life (and good software) than maths.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do you think we don't know what floating point numbers are? Do you think all doctors know the technical details of each other's jobs? Do you think that nobody in a software development team knows the details of floating point? Do you think your work is as important to your employer as a doctor's is to their patient? Do you think that software changes are irreversible?

I think it’s important that professionals receive a rounded education that covers the whole base of their field, and exposes them to a range of concepts that they do not necessarily use every day. Which, yes, means learning more than ten seconds worth of information about how data is represented.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soricidus posted:

This is more like saying that doctors should know what the spleen is and what it does and how to treat common spleen problems, but not all doctors need to know how to remove a spleen, and even fewer need to know how to make a spleen.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

I think it’s important that professionals receive a rounded education that covers the whole base of their field, and exposes them to a range of concepts that they do not necessarily use every day. Which, yes, means learning more than ten seconds worth of information about how data is represented.

This. It actually rules that there's so many self taught or generally non-traditionally-educated people in software, it brings diversity of background, experience, and expertise to the field. But the downside is that sometimes people who self teach, because they are starting at the concrete end goal ("ok i need to make a website") and working backwards, miss fundamentals and have a hard time generalizing their experience to other domains. This is isn't just oh you started with javascript you'll never be a real programmer elitism either - the number of electrical engineers I've seen rage about any code review beyond "uh it works i guess" is not small, and I personally even though I have had that educate struggle converting my knowledge into stuff like frontend layout. Generalizing knowledge is hard even if you're properly prepared.

So specifically you shouldn't have to memorize floating point or 2s complement but I think some kind of fundamentals of digital logic class is something all programmers should get exposed to at some point, and once you take that you realize not only the mechanics of 2s complement but the motivation, and you start to see how floating point could work. Same with a numeric methods class (which I really wish I took and may look up a good one). Same with a lot of the basic CS courses. The goal is not necessarily to give you a finite countable set of facts that you can pull out of your memory like arrows from a quiver when you start work, but rather to expose you to the both theoretical and practical fundamentals of the field, on as broad a base as possible, and give you a base for intuition.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure we don't rely on high school biology to teach doctors what they need to know about spleens.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Foxfire_ posted:

I was thinking like someone working in drug trials, which I imagine is mostly knowing what tests to use and when, but I don't actually know anything about day-to-day.

You don't need algebra for routine stuff, but if you need to come up with a different design from what's standard, you'll need group theory to engage with the statistical theory.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started this derail by accidentally being snobby to someone who said they shouldn't have had to learn twos complement in high school, because I mistakenly thought they were saying they shouldn't have had to learn it during a university CS education (I was reading the thread backwards on the reply screen like a noob). The whole point I was trying to make is that someone who goes into computer science and, by extension, programming as a general discipline (for which I used the term "programmer"), should have a well-rounded knowledge base of theory and practice. That's not gatekeeping, that's advice. You can get a job as a programmer without having immersed yourself in the discipline of programming and without mastering its finer points or basically any of it. You're fine, you're still a programmer, I just didn't mean to refer to you in the first place.

edit: Except the floating point thing. Being familiar with this, particularly the section on error propagation, is just a plain good idea for anyone who has to apply arithmetic operators to floating point numbers, even if it's just CRUD.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 29, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Xarn posted:

Are we doing the "I can only imagine programmers in my niche, or adjacent niches" thing again? If so, can we explicitly say what our niches are, and be done with it? :v:

No, no, it's "there's my niche (the difficult one that's only for very smart people) and exactly one other type of programming (the easy one for failures who couldn't hack it in my niche)."

Typical values for the second field include "logic-free CRUD web apps" and "making LEDs blink with microcontrollers."

Any resemblance to the Dunning-Kruger effect is completely coincidental. I read an intro to psychology book once, and let me tell you, it was all really simple. If Dunning and Kruger were actually smart they'd be solving tough problems, like the ones I deal with every day.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

More like two's insult

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

"programmers should know [low level thing]" is 100% a justification for an expensive degree, the only real effect of which on the day-to-day job is you have to look up something on stackoverflow one one-thousandth less often that someone who doesn't have one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

NtotheTC posted:

More like two's insult

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't rely on high school biology to teach doctors what they need to know about spleens.

That's true, but they do rely on college biology (and chemistry) as a basis for understanding the more specific concepts they learn in medical school. We don't have a medical school equivalent, it's on the job training. We can, often do, and always expect people to, learn on the fly while working, but it does legitimately make it much easier if you have a grounding in the basics.

e: I'm not saying you're a worse programmer. There's an astounding number of autodidacts or people who initially learned through bootcamps in programming, or people who were ill-served by traditional education and learned on their own, who are really good programmers. I just think that on average having that background knowledge helps you adapt to new domains, figure out surprising behaviors and bugs, and generally get a head start on things.

Phobeste fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 29, 2020

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I might've learned 2s compliment in high school myself. I was definitely doing binary addition and some boolean algebra. They weren't required courses, but I was into computers and poo poo from a young age.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phobeste posted:

That's true, but they do rely on college biology (and chemistry) as a basis for understanding the more specific concepts they learn in medical school. We don't have a medical school equivalent, it's on the job training. We can, often do, and always expect people to, learn on the fly while working, but it does legitimately make it much easier if you have a grounding in the basics.

Again, though, this started with me bringing up my high school computing class. Not college.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Again, though, this started with me bringing up my high school computing class. Not college.

I know I was kinda trying to steer the conversation away because that point seemed... silly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Turns out the real coding horror was our own egos.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean, ideally the people who works on the software that takes your MRI and displays it onscreen would know how to work with floating point. Industry experience tells me this is not a safe assumption.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I never use floating point, I just multiply everything by 100

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm sorry everyone, I am bad at reading, sorry :negative:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

This idea that the only "good software" is confined to specific mathematical fields is exactly the sort of snooty elitism that got us here in the first place.

There's more to life (and good software) than maths.

When I say "what is under the hood" - I am talking about OS design and "culture" about hardware

There are people just now that don't know or consider the different between a integer and a float number-- Their software will work - it may even have zero know bugs but it also may have some window that take 9 seconds to load and users and devs have no idea why it take that long

People that don't see what is the difference between storing a ID has a string or a integer - "3455122" vs 3455122 - they may ignore how many bytes the computer need to store "3455122" vs 3455122 or how many cycles the cpu need to compare two strings vs two integers- they may not know or care - their software may still work but he!

This is just a example- more subtle problems may exist where a programer do things that is like throwing a wrench in the hardware

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 29, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

Saying it's not practically useful is like a statistician saying "I've never used group theory in my career, so it was a waste of time including it in my generic Mathematics degree".

Persi Diaconis has entered the building (https://www.jstor.org/stable/4355560?seq=1)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jaded Burnout posted:

Turns out the real coding horror was our own egos.

Ah, yes. Macro-dose salvia before every coding session, got it.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

More like two's insult

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

To complete the doctor analogy, writing code should require an advanced degree and several years of internships, and if you write horrific code you should get sued for coding malpractice

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

if you write horrific code you should get sued for coding malpractice

I carry £10 million in professional liability insurance for exactly this. I'm not joking, it's a contractual requirement.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I carry £10 million in professional liability insurance for exactly this. I'm not joking, it's a contractual requirement.

That's something I hadn't thought of but makes perfect sense. If I hang up a shingle and start contracting again I'll need to do this.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
New definition: The difference between a junior programmer and a senior programmer is a junior is still surprised when a 200 post argument over floats breaks out.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

What code do you write?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

What code do you write?

Websites, mostly backend system stuff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Websites, mostly backend system stuff.

What does the insurance cost?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ola posted:

What does the insurance cost?

About £30 a month, maybe? As a business expense.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

IEEE-754 is relevant to CRUD-'N'-Javascript development because the only numeric type available in javascript is 64-bit floating point, following the IE-754 standard. So I would hope anyone who programs in Javascript knows what problems that can cause.

YOWCH that's awful. (You can tell I bounced off the Javacript tutorial several times.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's not a big deal, we just implement our own ints using strings

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

About £30 a month, maybe? As a business expense.

Ah ok, well that's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Aren’t javascript numbers not actually 64bit? I thought they were something dumb like 52 or 54 and that leads to fun interop problems with languages that don’t suck (as much as javascript, anyway)