Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Patch is out? Time to make a matriarchal viking faction.

Edit: Just me or do most characters look a bit smoother than usual now?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not quite sure how, church baronies aren't really any better than castle baronies. Maybe very slightly better for taxes? Though any benefit is largely cancelled by having 4 slots in the county capital.

With Lay Clergy, your Level of Devotion improves the opinion of all your coreligionists, rather than just the clergy. The bonus maxes out at +30 opinion, which is nothing to scoff at. This means any and all sources of piety help reduce the plotting of your vassals. Church baronies have a building chain which directly boosts your piety, at the rate of 0.1/month per building level, for a max of 0.8/month per church barony.

IME, this is especially powerful when combined with Tenets which also help with vassal opinion, such as Communal Identity, Ritual Celebrations and/or Consolamentum. If you really want to double down, you can make a Temporal Religious Head and go for Consecrate Bloodline, which will give all your descendants even more opinion with co-religionists. If you luck into Witchcraft, that can also get you an extra +20 opinion with everyone you induct into the coven.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The UI, which I already liked a lot, is even better now! Lots of new animations, the transition from the game start is cool, graphics and UI elements pop out much more. Already a fine patch just for that.

Partition is also much much better: had 2 kids as Matilda, first son and heir got everything except one county; other kid gets the one county.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 29, 2020

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A God drat Ghost posted:

I just had an outbreak of Lollardy. Impossible to control. Everyone converted all willy-nilly, their kids converted, I tried to get them to convert back and their court didn't follow them back. Then they just switched back to Lollardy again. Going back to my previous save and waiting for the patch to fix fervor. Lollardy is worse than smallpox.

i hope this pub sign makes you feel slightly better

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
New patch is causing right click menus to go transparent, anyone else having this problem?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have some screen flickering now, patch related or is it just me?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
lol all those notes and they still missed the "main menu closes the outliner" bug

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble getting steam to download the update?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

punissuer posted:

New patch is causing right click menus to go transparent, anyone else having this problem?

I am! Came into the thread to see if that was intended or a problem anyone else was having. I'm playing with a bunch of mods, all of which the launcher claims are incompatible, so I thought it might have been that. Are you playing unmodded?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think we're sleeping a bit on the tribal to feudal "random building" addition. I feel like it's going to make AI tribals MUCH more powerful, especially paired with "ai rulers upgrade their holdings"

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
If you disband mercenaries, is there anyway to call them back? Without paying again :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

shut up blegum posted:

If you disband mercenaries, is there anyway to call them back? Without paying again :)

They're with you for three years and will raise with the rest of your armies.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jedit posted:

They're with you for three years and will raise with the rest of your armies.

OK thanks.

My son tried to murder someone from the family (me, maybe? idk) and I imprisoned him. I can execute him without being tyrannical but then I get the kinslayer trait. What happens if I banish him? Do I get his titles? Does he keep them?

EDIT: he's my heir btw

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I am! Came into the thread to see if that was intended or a problem anyone else was having. I'm playing with a bunch of mods, all of which the launcher claims are incompatible, so I thought it might have been that. Are you playing unmodded?

I got rid of my barbie mods, rebooting and now it's working again. Might have reinstall the game in between, can't remember!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Confirming here, if not already mentioned, that they got rid of assigning a duchy or kingdom title it's own succession law in order to bypass the realm's succession law. One of my sons is getting two kingdoms in my next succession.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Caustic Soda posted:

With Lay Clergy, your Level of Devotion improves the opinion of all your coreligionists, rather than just the clergy. The bonus maxes out at +30 opinion, which is nothing to scoff at. This means any and all sources of piety help reduce the plotting of your vassals. Church baronies have a building chain which directly boosts your piety, at the rate of 0.1/month per building level, for a max of 0.8/month per church barony.

IME, this is especially powerful when combined with Tenets which also help with vassal opinion, such as Communal Identity, Ritual Celebrations and/or Consolamentum. If you really want to double down, you can make a Temporal Religious Head and go for Consecrate Bloodline, which will give all your descendants even more opinion with co-religionists. If you luck into Witchcraft, that can also get you an extra +20 opinion with everyone you induct into the coven.

Those are pretty decent benefits, but I still don't think I'd want to hold temple holdings (unless they're county capitals, and changing the county capital doesn't seem to give the holding there 4 slots). I think I'd rather have a theocratic realm priest providing me much bigger taxes than I'd get from regular temple barons. I'll have to see in the new patch if the changes to diplomacy make opinion relevant again, I spent most of my previous runs generally maxed out on opinion for any diplomacy-focused ruler.

I think the main reason to go Lay Clergy is if you're gonna make yourself the Temporal Head of Faith with Communion, because that's just broken. Otherwise I think I'd stick to theocratic clergy for those taxes.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 29, 2020

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

They at least got rid of excommunication for PC temporal heads of faith so now you only have unlimited gold. Doesn't totally make sense -- I mean, why start your own religion if you can't hold the threat of excommunication over people's heads? -- but absolutely good for balance. Then again I suppose you could argue that imbalance is built into CK and is fine as long as it's not something gamey and dumb like the North Korea strategy.

Again, not sure if it's my mods or the patch but is anyone else seeing a lot of pagan reformations? I'd never seen one I didn't do myself and in twenty minutes this morning Tengri and Yourba both reformed themselves. Interestingly both times were from relatively smaller rulers. I'm not super upset about this because religious reformations rule and I play more for the alternate histories than the history, but two happening in 20 minutes when I'd never seen one ever happen before seems like something not working as intended, no?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It wouldn't shock me if it's a side effect of the fervor fiddling. Don't you need a certain level of fervor to reform?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

Again, not sure if it's my mods or the patch but is anyone else seeing a lot of pagan reformations? I'd never seen one I didn't do myself and in twenty minutes this morning Tengri and Yourba both reformed themselves. Interestingly both times were from relatively smaller rulers. I'm not super upset about this because religious reformations rule and I play more for the alternate histories than the history, but two happening in 20 minutes when I'd never seen one ever happen before seems like something not working as intended, no?

I believe the problem was before the AI was trying to reform their pagan faiths with the same tenets/doctrines, which wasn't allowed pre-1.1, but now it is. The main barrier is needing to hold three holy sites of the faith, otherwise reforming is pretty cheap for them since they'll just use the same doctrines/tenets at the base faith.

Azhais posted:

It wouldn't shock me if it's a side effect of the fervor fiddling. Don't you need a certain level of fervor to reform?

Not as such, but it gets cheaper the further below 100% fervor the parent faith is.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 29, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone know if Brighter Portraits is compatible with 1.1? I initially figured it would be but with the stealth UI change now im not so sure.

e: Also how in the world are there so many fleshed out mods already? It kinda blows my mind. Is it just some port from CK2?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Those are pretty decent benefits, but I still don't think I'd want to hold temple holdings (unless they're county capitals, and changing the county capital doesn't seem to give the holding there 4 slots). I think I'd rather have a theocratic realm priest providing me much bigger taxes than I'd get from regular temple barons. I'll have to see in the new patch if the changes to diplomacy make opinion relevant again, I spent most of my previous runs generally maxed out on opinion for any diplomacy-focused ruler.

I think the main reason to go Lay Clergy is if you're gonna make yourself the Temporal Head of Faith with Communion, because that's just broken. Otherwise I think I'd stick to theocratic clergy for those taxes.

Well yeah, opinion bonuses is mainly useful for enabling other focuses than diplomacy. For example, I just played a game starting as Bohemia where I maxed out my tech and domain buildings by like 1250, in the process founding two religions and mending the schism. I don't think I could have done that if I'd needed to go diplomacy. Opportunity costs and all that.

How do you get the whole Communion money to work properly? I get like 10 popups about buying indulgences, but as soon as I click one the others go away.

I'll have to try playing around with theocratic vassal money. In my games so far, most of my money comes from my domain.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

buglord posted:

Anyone know if Brighter Portraits is compatible with 1.1? I initially figured it would be but with the stealth UI change now im not so sure.

e: Also how in the world are there so many fleshed out mods already? It kinda blows my mind. Is it just some port from CK2?

Looks like maybe you won't need it anymore, but i haven't checked.

Relevant patch note:

quote:

- Color coded Education Trait Icons
- Increased contrast of character portraits

I've got a color coded trait thing mod that i guess also won't be needed maybe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

shut up blegum posted:

OK thanks.

My son tried to murder someone from the family (me, maybe? idk) and I imprisoned him. I can execute him without being tyrannical but then I get the kinslayer trait. What happens if I banish him? Do I get his titles? Does he keep them?

EDIT: he's my heir btw

If you banish somebody it's the same as a deposition, and the titles pass to their heir. It may be you, it may not be.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Excelzior posted:

I think we're sleeping a bit on the tribal to feudal "random building" addition. I feel like it's going to make AI tribals MUCH more powerful, especially paired with "ai rulers upgrade their holdings"

I know when I converted MaA switching to gold for upkeep combined with having completely barebones holdings forced me to switch to insular, stewardship focused rulers for a few generations. This sounds like it will be a big boost.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Looks like maybe you won't need it anymore, but i haven't checked.

Relevant patch note:

I've got a color coded trait thing mod that i guess also won't be needed maybe.

drat I didn’t even notice this.

Did they hide the cure for cancer in this changelog.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Whorelord posted:

i hope this pub sign makes you feel slightly better

That's great, haha

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

PancakeTransmission posted:

It would if I were on Steam rather than Game Pass! However, I've had plenty of fun on CK3 (as compared to CK2 where I got lost - like others said, maybe it was too many DLC features to start with), so if/when it goes on Steam sale, I'll probably buy it there so I can run some QoL mods (edit: gently caress it, may as well get it).

You can use mods with the Game Pass version. Paradox has its own separate mod site now and many mods are being uploaded to both. https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/games/ck3

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Whoever decided to rename the Wendish Empire to the Southern Baltic Empire deserves to be fired

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Nationalist slavs were throwing a fit on the forums about the name "wendish empire" so that's probably why they renamed it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Swedish Horror posted:

Nationalist slavs were throwing a fit on the forums about the name "wendish empire" so that's probably why they renamed it.

Life has taught me that you should always do the opposite of what nationalist Slavs want.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wendish empire was also not very good as a name. theres really no very good names for that area of the map that makes sense for everything in the empire

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
^ this

Whorelord posted:

Whoever decided to rename the Wendish Empire to the Southern Baltic Empire deserves to be fired

You know what? I'd do it again. (it was a team effort)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Whorelord posted:

hahaha, what the hell. not sure how Bohemian Kingdom fits with other Baltic states though

just name it Partitia after all partitions or maybe Bufferia

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea it was weird seeing it changed, but really it's not much different than the Carpathian empire in terms of loose geographic naming. Plus the game let's you rename whatever you hold which is sweet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yea it was weird seeing it changed, but really it's not much different than the Carpathian empire in terms of loose geographic naming. Plus the game let's you rename whatever you hold which is sweet.

But Carpathian Empire allows you to name your children Vigo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh god that reminds me, there's no way to rename a character is there? I was house-swapping within my dynasty, and accidentally got my heir married to a Norse woman, and now all the grandkids have Norse names again. Which is fine I guess, but for whatever reason it's killing my immersion, and I want to switch back to locally appropriate names, at least for whichever one I'm playing at that moment.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
There is a mod that allows you to do that but I don’t think it’s Ironman compatible.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Thinking about starting an 867 game. How do you all feel about the norse border gore, is it a lot better now?

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Is there any way to force a Tribal or Clan vasshole to switch to Feudal or is that decision just at the mercy of the AI? And is there anything I could do to speed up that decision trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a way to lock your army commander? I want my king to be the leader because he's got a move speed boost that's been pretty handy. But it's always switching to some rando that's got worse stats but has the fording bonus (which i guess the ai prefers?)