Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh one of the things I've been most disappointed with in this game, and there has been quite a few things, is how little the protagonist's inner demons seem to affect gameplay. I'm told that I'm a drug addicted, chain smoking alcoholic but it all feels like lip service. In the early hours of the game I thought I was going to play as a wild party monster, but it turns out there is almost no incentive to do so. At this point in the game I feel like my character's reputation is completely at odds with his actions and it wasn't even a choice I consciously made. I just kind of forgot that things like drinking and smoking were even a buff/debuff, option because it's almost never actually a carrot on a stick that hangs in front of you. It's just some barely relevant mechanic hanging in the background.

i think its pretty true to life tbh

smoking(of course its a drug), yeah no one ever forgets to smoke in real life and its compulsive but thats not really a thing you can do gameplay wise compulsively and its the same?

but drinking/drugs you can definitely come out of a rough one, realize oh gently caress and not remember what you did and try to piece things together and have a real hell of a time of it and a creeping sense of oh poo poo poo poo poo poo i hosed up and youre like im not touching anything ever again

sober harry is the most moral harry and also potentially the most tragic harry cause once that freakout ends he might back slide but hopefully his partner is there for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Electrochemistry adds extra charges to these items, so a high Electrochemistry character gets more out of their drugs. The skill also leads you down a path of substance abuse, giving you quests to procure amphetamine, or just buy a magnum sized bottle of wine. These quests are often non-refusable.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I think it's really hard to create the sort of incentive with mechanics that is needed for substance abuse -- gameplay is always guided by this sense of "seeking advantages" and you can't communicate "this substance objectively makes you a worse person"* at the same time that you communicate "you really really wanna do the substance."

Like when I was trying to quit smoking in college, I might have designed "smoking a cigarette" as "lowering max HP by 1" if I was trying to develop mechanics that modeled my life. Nobody intentionally makes the choice to lower their stats in a game when roleplaying/otherwise playing "authentically," though some people might make choices like that to do challenge runs or to prove a point. Doesn't work for modeling addiction, because it's a disincentive so maybe we try a different mechanic:

Smoking a cigarette "lowers max HP by 1, increases focus for 5 minutes." Better because it's a double-edged choice, but mostly people aren't going to use this as soon as they see that the long-term penalties add up & the short-term benefits don't last. The people who DO use this effectively might be metagaming and only lower their max HP to an acceptable threshold, using the temporary benefits to overcome the specific skill checks that are needed. The closest real-life example of this is the sort of person who says "I'm only going to smoke cigarettes until I turn 25, then I'm going to quit so that I can't get cancer." This is nonsense in real life, and nonsense in a game unless you're only concerned about game mechanics.

You could instead model this as, "lowers max HP by 1, gives you lore/story events you wouldn't otherwise get if you weren't smoking." This is an interesting choice (one that can be paired with the previous option) but there's issues: it highlights addiction purely as a choice thing, which is ignorant of the real world/brain chemistry/etc and detracts from the narrative in the ways you're all describing (it doesn't feel like you're roleplaying a real addict because you just don't partake of any substances).

What the game does well (and we've talked about this in this thread multiple times, I defer to anyone else who wrote about this): no matter what you're still an addict at the end of the game. You can clean up for a day, three days, a week, a month, a year, a decade, whatever -- you're always an addict, and it's always up to you to be a recovered one, every morning you get up. The Harry that doesn't drink or smoke or do drugs throughout his whole playthrough is still an alcoholic and still abusing speed, no matter what. The mechanics aren't doing much to show you that, and obviously the lore isn't enough to satisfy everyone. And that's okay I guess.

* "worse" descriptively in the sense of the internal feelings we have as a result of substance abuse & the way we lose access to things we truly love, not "worse" prescriptively as a moral/ethical judgment of a person who has addiction & can benefit from getting support.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

games will truly reach their apex when disco elysium 2 reacts to the player taking a drug by forcibly injecting the real thing into the actual player

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but - crucially - not the player making the choice to ingest the drug in-game. there's a reason it's online-only play. everyone is the PC's voices for everyone.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I am attempting to be a communist hobocop that also has very strong opinions of advanced race theory, yet my rhetoric skill is depressingly bad at the cost of my inland empire

On a scale of 1 to 10 how strongly am I currently embodying 2005ish era arguably insane permabanned goon?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EorayMel posted:

Electrochemistry adds extra charges to these items, so a high Electrochemistry character gets more out of their drugs. The skill also leads you down a path of substance abuse, giving you quests to procure amphetamine, or just buy a magnum sized bottle of wine. These quests are often non-refusable.

Yeah, those non-refusable quests don't seem to pack much of a punch, unless someone's got their own personal addiction to completionism and crossing everything off the list.

I feel like I wouldn't personally mind if there were more truly compulsive checks, literally forcing your hand sometimes if you keep any drugs in your inventory at all. Instead of staring in horror at roll results like "The words have already left your mouth", you sometimes get "the drink has already entered your mouth". :v:

But that'd probably rub a lot of people the wrong way gameplay-wise.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Drinking should be a way to not take morale damage on some failed checks imo, Harry's coping mechanism in action.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Roctavian posted:

What the game does well (and we've talked about this in this thread multiple times, I defer to anyone else who wrote about this): no matter what you're still an addict at the end of the game. You can clean up for a day, three days, a week, a month, a year, a decade, whatever -- you're always an addict, and it's always up to you to be a recovered one, every morning you get up. The Harry that doesn't drink or smoke or do drugs throughout his whole playthrough is still an alcoholic and still abusing speed, no matter what.

i dont know about all that

but its true its only like, less than a week so harry is at most, merely coming off the worlds worst hangover

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ftr I do really like this game for the most part. Probably seems like I've been making GBS threads on it recently, because I have some pretty mixed feelings about how much I like the writing and the world, and the actual game part of it which I have lot of issues with.

That said I am really just kind of ready to wrap it up. I just found ruby and got blasted with some sonic device. 22 hours. Really hoping I'm near the home stretch so I can just find out what happened and start playing Divinity 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Not doing any drugs on day one but still running around incredibly energetic and active after a mind-destroying bender is a thing that becomes a major point on day two.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Biggest highlight of Hardcore 1/1/1/1 failcop run so far: dying on day 2 by repeatedly yelling "COCK CAROUSEL" at the increasingly concerned Hardie boys

e: this is a good build by day 3, right

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

overeager overeater posted:

Biggest highlight of Hardcore 1/1/1/1 failcop run so far: dying on day 2 by repeatedly yelling "COCK CAROUSEL" at the increasingly concerned Hardie boys
Still things I've never seen in this game. Garte's love quest, sure, but how do you bring it up to the HB's?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Xander77 posted:

Still things I've never seen in this game. Garte's love quest, sure, but how do you bring it up to the HB's?

I said it a few times to Garte and then it came up as an option when I was talking to the Hardies.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Xander77 posted:

Fail the check to "prove your authority to Titus", and pick the option "The same thing happened to my friend Garte over there..."

As I discovered the hard way, you take Health damage every time you say "cock carousel", unlike that one conversation with Joyce

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

overeager overeater posted:

Fail the check to "prove your authority to Titus", and pick the option "The same thing happened to my friend Garte over there..."

As I discovered the hard way, you take Health damage every time you say "cock carousel", unlike that one conversation with Joyce

Imagine Harry talking about Mr. Claire's Cock Carousel in his chair, forever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mr carousel is helping me find my cock

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

Ftr I do really like this game for the most part. Probably seems like I've been making GBS threads on it recently, because I have some pretty mixed feelings about how much I like the writing and the world, and the actual game part of it which I have lot of issues with.

That said I am really just kind of ready to wrap it up. I just found ruby and got blasted with some sonic device. 22 hours. Really hoping I'm near the home stretch so I can just find out what happened and start playing Divinity 2.

You're very close, you could finish the game basically right now. It also might be too late (and idk if it even matters for the ending, but I assumed it did.. or had something to do with it), but did you do the side quest for the cryptozoologist, Lena's husband, and inspect the traps?*

In fact I would recommend doing that, I think you'll like the ending and the thing you do right after you confront Ruby in particular. I could be mistaken, but I think you just have to head towards the Whirling In Rags and you'll see what's going on, I think youve already triggered it.

*Actually, now that I've looked it up, it doesn't matter whether you do this or not, drat. I thought getting sprayed with the pheromones triggered the thing at the end, or whether you see it or not, but I guess it happens regardless.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Imhotep posted:

You're very close, you could finish the game basically right now. It also might be too late (and idk if it even matters for the ending, but I assumed it did.. or had something to do with it), but did you do the side quest for the cryptozoologist, Lena's husband, and inspect the traps?*

In fact I would recommend doing that, I think you'll like the ending and the thing you do right after you confront Ruby in particular. I could be mistaken, but I think you just have to head towards the Whirling In Rags and you'll see what's going on, I think youve already triggered it.

*Actually, now that I've looked it up, it doesn't matter whether you do this or not, drat. I thought getting sprayed with the pheromones triggered the thing at the end, or whether you see it or not, but I guess it happens regardless.

I think doing that gives you a bonus/removes a penalty for the electrochemistry check to approach the phasmid but isn't necessary? honestly I've never not done it

google shows me some people complaining about failing said check without doing that thing, even rolling double sixes, but I figure those are probably people forgetting about The Precarious World making you auto-fail red checks

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I have heard things can make it impossible Shaving after getting sprayed give you a penalty

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I checked the trap that morell gave me a box of crickets for right before meeting ruby, but didn't find anything

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Imhotep posted:

If I recall correctly, the pheromones give you a very high bonus in the ‘step closer’ roll.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I'm late to the party and just beat the game as the sensitive archetype. It was loving amazing.
What should I do for my new playthrough stats wise ?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
High Motorics is quite satisfying, IMO.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tylana posted:

High Motorics is quite satisfying, IMO.

Seconded, I didn't want to do that one at first because I assumed it just meant "better at violence" but it's much more interesting than that.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I want some intellect mixed in because a lot (most) int checks ended up with "I'm dumb"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

high int gives you more opportunities to spend time with encyclopedia, the most precious skill

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm new to this and only on Day 2 and have tried hard not to spoil anything about the game for myself, but I have gotten the Communist achievement and am currently talking to Joyce about the nature of the Pale and this is not only the SA Game of the Year, it's the SA Game of All Time. The description for that one completed thought alone cements it. This is fantastic, it's the BoJack Horseman of games. I'm laughing out loud all the time and then not infrequently filled with dread, and it's just smart as all hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Think I am nearing the end. I found the deserter on the island and am prepping to head back (without him, which is weird). My encounter with the mercs was disastrous. Most of the Hardie boys died and I got shot multiple times cause I had no gun. The reveal of the murderer was pretty low key but also satisfying enough. I enjoyed finding out his motivations. Weird seeing a whodunnit that pans out to be someone who isn't even a previous character. The phasmid was very cool. I am guessing that part doesn't happen if you didn't do the quest? Can it appear earlier? Someone mentioned using an item from it earlier on in the game. I checked the traps many times but it never appeared until after I made the arrest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Think I am nearing the end. I found the deserter on the island and am prepping to head back (without him, which is weird). My encounter with the mercs was disastrous. Most of the Hardie boys died and I got shot multiple times cause I had no gun. The reveal of the murderer was pretty low key but also satisfying enough. I enjoyed finding out his motivations. Weird seeing a whodunnit that pans out to be someone who isn't even a previous character. The phasmid was very cool. I am guessing that part doesn't happen if you didn't do the quest? Can it appear earlier? Someone mentioned using an item from it earlier on in the game. I checked the traps many times but it never appeared until after I made the arrest.

The murderer is someone you haven't met until the end, but their presence is on every screen in the game.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

Nah, I was mistaken and thought that you had to do that quest in order to make it show up, I'd read somewhere that the pheromones Lena's husband sprays on you is like why it's friendly, or something. But that's wrong, and no you can't see it earlier, or go to that area at any other point. You left out the most important part though, what happened to Kim during the tribunal??

Also funny hearing Felix and Matt from Chapo talking to each other during the tribunal.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

veni veni veni posted:

Think I am nearing the end.
Did you take a nap on the island?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

Seconded, I didn't want to do that one at first because I assumed it just meant "better at violence" but it's much more interesting than that.

Ah, yes, the ability to not make a complete fool of yourself when someone casually throws you an item.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

World War Mammories posted:

I think doing that gives you a bonus/removes a penalty for the electrochemistry check to approach the phasmid but isn't necessary? honestly I've never not done it

google shows me some people complaining about failing said check without doing that thing, even rolling double sixes, but I figure those are probably people forgetting about The Precarious World making you auto-fail red checks

I absolutely could not pass the check because I had bathed after initially using the pheromones. I did not take Precarious World, yet even savescummed double-sixes failed the roll, as it's an inevitable failure roll. I couldn't have the ensuing conversation until I edited my save file to apply the pheromone buff.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Alchenar posted:

The murderer is someone you haven't met until the end, but their presence is on every screen in the game.

Elaborate please? I know some of that but every?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Elaborate please? I know some of that but every?

This is the main example, but all over the place there are things that have been shot by an old gun but recently. It's an odd thing that you can notice as odd but it doesn't tie into anything and you don't get a chance to do anything but notice it's odd until you meet the guy.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh yeah I noticed that. Not quite every screen though, so thought there was something else.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

I absolutely could not pass the check because I had bathed after initially using the pheromones. I did not take Precarious World, yet even savescummed double-sixes failed the roll, as it's an inevitable failure roll. I couldn't have the ensuing conversation until I edited my save file to apply the pheromone buff.

hum, interesting. what are the checks here again? I think there are two? electrochemistry to approach and inland empire to have the conversation? I've never not taken the pheromones so I'm not sure of the alternatives to how that scene plays out

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Alchenar posted:

At the beginning you even get a message about a quick flash of light that I think is him having you in his scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
this game was built for save-scumming, matter of fact next game im save scumming every 3% impossible check for all the bullshit i had to deal with the first time around