Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Probably stupid question...

Does the center of gravity shift a ton when the large fire tankers drop their loads necessitating adjusting the trim and such as they go? Or are they designed to release in such a way that it empties evenly and doesn't shift the CoG significantly?

Sagebrush posted:

The tanks are usually installed close to the unladen center of gravity so that emptying them doesn't cause a shift in the overall loading moment. That's also one of the reasons fuel tanks are generally placed in the wings; that way fuel burn doesn't require continuous changes in trim.

The pilot is still going to need to really be on top of the plane, because even if the CG doesn't change an inch, the sudden loss of thousands of pounds without any change in airspeed or AoA is going to result in a huge lift surplus and they're going to balloon upwards.

Watch videos of the DC-10 tanker. You can watch the nose coming down the entire length of the drop. You can see it with the 747 tanker as well, but it’s more obvious with the Douglas, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

the sudden loss of thousands of pounds without any change in airspeed or AoA is going to result in a huge lift surplus and they're going to balloon upwards.

This seems like a good thing when you've just pointed a retired airliner at a burning hillside.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Platystemon posted:

And then there’s Concorde.

I just had the weird thought of using Concordes as firefighting aircraft. Civil version of F-104s as low-level attack jets.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mortabis posted:

I just had the weird thought of using Concordes as firefighting aircraft. Civil version of F-104s as low-level attack jets.

Fight fire with fire?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mortabis posted:

There's a hell of an 80's TV movie vibe there.

President: "The fire is too far away and moving too fast! It's going to destroy the pyrovirus facility before any of our tankers can reach it!"

Buck Splashwell, Concorde tanker pilot for hire: "Excuse me, Mr. President, but I think there's one thing you're forgetting..."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
God drat it Buck! You're the last person I want to see, but you're the only one who can do this. This doesn't make up for what you did at Rio Belcho.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

Fight fire with fire?

The fire captain would have to fly a DC-10.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Probably stupid question...

Does the center of gravity shift a ton when the large fire tankers drop their loads necessitating adjusting the trim and such as they go? Or are they designed to release in such a way that it empties evenly and doesn't shift the CoG significantly?

Some of the longer airplanes are also set up so that the retardant tanks operate in a sequence with the most forward and aft tanks dumping as a pair, then the next most forward and aft ones, etc... which minimizes the CG shifting as they drop.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Pretty sure this video was linked in the thread before, but it's relevant again, has all sorts of stuff about the drop systems in the Global Supertanker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-pC7XYHV7s

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for all the responses, cool stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MennoSwart/status/1311284887857647618?s=20

https://twitter.com/stefanspeaking/status/1311208437758349312?s=20

F-35B went down, pilot ejected and lived.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mlmp08 posted:

pilot ejected and lived.

That's what matters.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, really curious about how that happened. Damage to #1 and the fuel leak visible might be damage sustained in the crash landing. Hot dogging with a close pass after breaking contact? Or just the mother of all overshoots trying to connect?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, about where the tanker came to rest. Is the pavement grooved like that specifically to drain away fuel in a situation like this?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

So, about where the tanker came to rest. Is the pavement grooved like that specifically to drain away fuel in a situation like this?

That’s what a plowed field looks like. This one is slightly exaggerated for irrigation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ah, for some reason I thought they made it to an airport and confused the dirt for concrete.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mlmp08 posted:

That’s what a plowed field looks like. This one is slightly exaggerated for irrigation.

It's getting irrigated alright.

Still, better than a full on crash. Glad everyone seems to be OK. It will be interesting to hear the story. I bet something really, really dumb.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tests of love and acceptance of aeronautical insanity: will your significant other tolerate this purchase?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bull3964 posted:

As noted that is just a plowed field, but you are onto something sort of. Many airports now have what is called EMAS, the engineered material arresting system, where the area beyond the end of the runway is made of concrete bricks designed to collapse and slow the plane down if it overruns.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It might just be an illusion, but the KC-130 looks like a hull loss to me. The wings look... A little droopier than they should be.

Super happy everyone walked away though. :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

It might just be an illusion, but the KC-130 looks like a hull loss to me. The wings look... A little droopier than they should be.

Super happy everyone walked away though. :)

The KC-130 is still in production, I'd assume they'd recover what they can for parts and use the fuselage for loadmaster training or something.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1311365856639758337

drat

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hobbesmaster posted:

The KC-130 is still in production, I'd assume they'd recover what they can for parts and use the fuselage for loadmaster training or something.

"And this is the part of the plane where you shout 'nonner' at people."

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really hope the camera made the smoke look worse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2vxYYD8P0

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311883569086623744

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311885172862668801

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311893057042706432

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that's completely normal

marumaru
May 20, 2013

imagine if ww3 started because a shriveled tangerine got rona

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Those aircraft fly almost every day, that dude is dumb.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah. And they've been extra busy in the last year or so as DOD is all "great powers argle bargle"

Have a GE9X testbed photo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. And they've been extra busy in the last year or so as DOD is all "great powers argle bargle"

You vs the engine she tells you not to worry about.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mlmp08 posted:

the number 2 engine got stung by a gee bee

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lou Takki posted:

I think the interesting thing here is that they've chosen to turn ADS-B on, because it very publicly signals to anybody paying attention that *someone* still has their finger on the button.

brains
May 12, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I think the interesting thing here is that they've chosen to turn ADS-B on, because it very publicly signals to anybody paying attention that *someone* still has their finger on the button.

it's not interesting. it's very uninteresting, in fact. they fly all the time, in those same areas, with ADS-B broadcasting because its legally required.

it's the same kind of twitter hyperventilation you see when someone notices a train full of army rolling stock go through their neighborhood for the first time.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I beg to differ, it's sensationalism with nothing to back it up. Looks like normal everyday ops to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

The governmental actors who pay attention to things like TACAMO missions do not need ADS-B to track the aircraft. 99.9% of the country doesn't know what an E-6B is, or what ADS-B is or how to receive those signals, so it's not intended to reassure civilians or whatever either.

Also, they may not even have ADS-B on at all; the ADS-B Exchange website also reports aircraft locations by multilateral triangulation from mode S signals.

As noted, those planes are up all the time; you can check the history of that particular tail number and see that it flies basically every day. That guy is reading way too much into the fact that he coincidentally saw one flying around off Washington at the moment he thinks Trump was officially diagnosed with COVID. It's just doomer conspiracy theory

e:
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1312027909390045184

of course, that's just what they want you to believe :freep:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If they started showing up on FlightAware or the like that would be interesting, but as folks have mentioned they’re not exactly stealth aircraft. I should have noticed it was an ADS-B exchange screenshot.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Warbird posted:

If they started showing up on FlightAware or the like that would be interesting

Why would that be interesting? Flightaware has the same data ADSB-E uses, they just filter their output for inexplicably stupid reasons

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
These planes do the same poo poo as everyone else in Class A airspace. Stop trying to find conspiracy bullshit. They squawk, they talk to ATC, they use callsigns anyone could recognize. They self-report on all the same poo poo as everyone else because it's required. Years ago the AWACS fleet almost got loving grounded because the RVSM upgrade was behind schedule. Same rules apply until airspace is shut the hell down 9/11 style.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SeaborneClink posted:

Why would that be interesting? Flightaware has the same data ADSB-E uses, they just filter their output for inexplicably stupid reasons

No I mean it would be for that exact reason. “Huh, I guess they stopped filtering that stuff. That’s interesting.” Rich folk paying to not have details surfaced doesn’t really bother me but I do wish they’d show the military stuff or that ASSB-E would get a phone app or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

of course, that's just what they want you to believe :freep:

Thankfully the E-4Bs are much harder to spot on ADS-B exchange - they just show up as B742s with a weird callsign. Every so often a B-52H with the callsign DOOM## will be flying over/around the south and that's kinda :black101:.