Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Someone tried that recipe (or a similar one) for the interwebs: https://retrorecipe.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/egg-nests/

Verdict: "[S]imple, cheap, and satisfying."

Huh. Savoury meringue. Tempted to try that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Those are called cloud eggs and have been and gone as a food trend on Instagram years ago

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Those are called cloud eggs and have been and gone as a food trend on Instagram years ago

Extremely relevant and entertaining cloud egg content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3XQm0dYADc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

Huh. Savoury meringue. Tempted to try that myself.

I literally said "huh, savoury meringue" as I was reading it lol.

I guess there's no reason it shouldn't work but I wonder what the texture/flavour clash would be like.

Though honestly I would be tempted to use the oven to soft cook the yolks, given you can set a precise temperature.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is probably relevant again

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

RareAcumen posted:

This is probably relevant again

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017089-maple-shortbread-bars

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

"Shortly after 9/11" is how I want all my recipes to start. :911:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Ingredients
8 slices of Bacon.
Directions
Place 2 sheets of paper towel on a microwave safe plate, lay the bacon out on the paper towel not overlapping the slices. Place 2 more sheets of paper towel on top. Place in the microwave on high for 6 to 13 minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

NOT A RAW

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
https://twitter.com/KikoSencillo/status/1310957815683571725

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This reminds me of growing up where my parents never drained their cans either :stonk:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. But momma don't got time for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like to think that's the part of the cousin's recipe that was slightly modified to not be awful. Cousin undercooked her potatoes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

decided to make a throwback breakfast, got some of these little smokies and made pigs in a blanket. It literally made me sick, like horrible upset stomach and more. not sure how I ate them as a kid without issue but never again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It annoys me when parents only serve their kids bland poo poo and then complain their kids are picky.

This goes double for vegetables and it seems so ubiquitous. Like our school would would serve canned plain green beans, canned loose corn, “salad” of pure iceberg lettuce, and so on and we’d all throw it away and go “ewwww vegetables”.

And I’d still throw that poo poo away today, because it was just bland and bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just mixing some canned and prepackaged precooked foods and heating them up, so it's basically fine.

Not something to brag about though.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It annoys me when parents only serve their kids bland poo poo and then complain their kids are picky.

This goes double for vegetables and it seems so ubiquitous. Like our school would would serve canned plain green beans, canned loose corn, “salad” of pure iceberg lettuce, and so on and we’d all throw it away and go “ewwww vegetables”.

And I’d still throw that poo poo away today, because it was just bland and bad.

Kids are picky though. Not just flavor-wise, but in conceptual terms. If they don't understand what's on their plate, they'll just refuse to eat it, regardless of whatever amazing flavor it has. It's the same logic behind refusing to let foods mix on a plate. I didn't like cheeseburgers or pizza with many toppings as a kid, just because I didn't trust it. Kids will do that. And parents won't really know when their kids start being more open to more foods or when their adult taste buds start coming in.

Fresh (or frozen) cooked food does normally taste better than canned, but it's also understandable why if you're working on a budget, you'd want to get cheaper canned food instead, because that's the world we live in.

SlothfulCobra has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Sep 29, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why TF does canned potato exist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Momma don’t got time for anything else

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just mixing some canned and prepackaged precooked foods and heating them up, so it's basically fine.

Not something to brag about though.

it's hot dogs, green beans, and potatoes cooked in water for 4 to 6 hours. that's barely food

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

They're pre-peeled, so your huge restaurant kitchen can make some reasonable mashed potatoes with minimal effort.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

it's hot dogs, green beans, and potatoes cooked in water for 4 to 6 hours. that's barely food

What gets me is she doesn't even drain the cans, it's just dump it all in and let god sort it out.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
its wild because there are plenty of "dump a bunch of cans in" recipes for slow cookers that are, you know, fine. not

boar guy posted:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Here is the wonder of canned food:

Step 1: Open can
Step 2: Take food from can and put it in mouth
Step 3: Move on with your life.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

here's a great "dump' recipe. get a pork shoulder. rub it with paprika, pepper and salt, then sear it. put it in the crock pot for 6 hours on low with a quarter cup of chicken broth. bam. awesome pulled pork.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

here's a great "dump' recipe. get a pork shoulder. rub it with paprika, pepper and salt, then sear it. put it in the crock pot for 6 hours on low with a quarter cup of chicken broth. bam. awesome pulled pork.

mama ain't got time for that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

boar guy posted:

I don't know, sounds a little too spicy

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you could skip the sear and the seasoning, too.

might have to cut up the shoulder if its too big though

it's also cheaper than whatever that loving travesty is

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

boar guy posted:

you could skip the sear and the seasoning, too.

might have to cut up the shoulder if its too big though

it's also cheaper than whatever that loving travesty is

Buy "country ribs" which are just slices of pork shoulder cut with the bone saw.

Also, put drained sauerkraut in the slow cooker with the pork

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Buy "country ribs" which are just slices of pork shoulder cut with the bone saw.

Also, put drained sauerkraut in the slow cooker with the pork

NO! sauerkraut is a disgusting waste filler food, fit only for swine and other livestock

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what is.. "drained"? :thunk:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Grossiest thing is the can water being poured in as well. Why?

I'd drain cans, pour ingredients, chop lil smokies in bits, add a can or 2 of cream of mushrooms/or cream soup of choice, mix in French onions, and top with shredded cheese and or oyster crackers.

Somesorts of insane high persons green bean casserole chowder.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

boar guy posted:

NO! sauerkraut is a disgusting waste filler food, fit only for swine and other livestock

oink oink more for me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Grossiest thing is the can water being poured in as well. Why?

When I was growing up, my mom would never drain canned vegetables. It was always two cans of green beans in to the small serving bowl and into the microwave for 2 minutes, serve with a slotted spoon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

boar guy posted:

You can do this with beef or chicken and dump vegetables in near the end, they can even be canned, it takes no additional time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

You can do this with beef or chicken and dump vegetables in near the end, they can even be canned, it takes no additional time.

yeah you can throw a chuck roast in there with a jar of pepperoncini (with the liquid, even) and get a delicious result also, with the same method

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It took her longer to uselessly put the lid latches on than it did to dump the poo poo.

Probably took her 4 times as long to open the cans.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

steinrokkan posted:

those canned potatoes kick all kinds of rear end. buy the whole ones, drain and dry them. skewer. season. grill.

i use them when doing shishkabobs all the time

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Whatsayeezy/status/1310975382519271425

:newlol:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was growing up, my mom would never drain canned vegetables. It was always two cans of green beans in to the small serving bowl and into the microwave for 2 minutes, serve with a slotted spoon.

Guess that makes sense. I'm sure it isn't disgusting water. Just makes it uh well watery