Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

I have it installed but never played it. I don't like competitive games with random folks, but thought the goon discord was for people that wanted to play multi-player vr games. I realized that the goon discord was for folk more antisocial than the main site. It would be nice to have an actual goon group for people that want to actually play together.
It's Halloween season, so I'm getting my flat-screen friends to plat phasmophobia. I would like to play it with all vr folk.

Try playing the Trouble in Terrorist Town (TTT) mod maps in Pavlov; it's your standard murder/werewolf game, trying to figure out who the Traitor(s) are.

Only everyone has guns and a deep suspicion of everyone else who isn't the Detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lemming posted:

The worry I had was that using your arms for actions and movement might kind of overload you and give you too much to do with your arms, so you wouldn't be able to do both at once, but I was pretty happy with this, it felt really good

That mechanics looks like it would be a good additional to games with rope swinging, something resembling but legally distinct from such things as spiderman or windlands.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Yeah but so what? I dunno about you but I can't do 99% of the things you do in video games. What matters more to me is how it feels and how it plays, and I think this kind of movement just works better in VR than the alternatives, for a lot of cases that devs don't seem to have explored that much

Yeah I don't think it'd work as well for shooters, especially ones with two handed weapons, but I also think it'd be more versatile than you're giving it credit for here. I did another test with some basic enemies and little balls you throw:

https://i.imgur.com/GLid05W.mp4

The worry I had was that using your arms for actions and movement might kind of overload you and give you too much to do with your arms, so you wouldn't be able to do both at once, but I was pretty happy with this, it felt really good

This looks like a lot of fun for what the gifs you've posted are showing, playing tag and flinging yourself around and throwing the balls at the targets; it looks great there. I'm wondering what's the best option for things on the more realistic side where you want players to walk around on legs and use arms for other actions. For something like Pavlov, using your arms is a no go.

I'd love a Stealth game using the controls you just showed; where you're some sort of weird rear end creature and you can climb up walls and through vents using your arms only. Hell make it a 4v1 asymmetric title and have the other players using standard movement since they'd just be marines or something hunting the creature down. Would be fun to see a mix of movement options like that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sigher posted:

This looks like a lot of fun for what the gifs you've posted are showing, playing tag and flinging yourself around and throwing the balls at the targets; it looks great there. I'm wondering what's the best option for things on the more realistic side where you want players to walk around on legs and use arms for other actions. For something like Pavlov, using your arms is a no go.

I'd love a Stealth game using the controls you just showed; where you're some sort of weird rear end creature and you can climb up walls and through vents using your arms only. Hell make it a 4v1 asymmetric title and have the other players using standard movement since they'd just be marines or something hunting the creature down. Would be fun to see a mix of movement options like that.

make a neat vr vs flat experience too, if those marines were all just PC players

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What are some good VR racing games that aren't hardcore sims? I don't mind a bit of realism but not interested in spending 24 real hours driving around a track either.

I got into gran turismo 2 back in the day so something around that level would be okay.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

alphabettitouretti posted:

What are some good VR racing games that aren't hardcore sims? I don't mind a bit of realism but not interested in spending 24 real hours driving around a track either.

I got into gran turismo 2 back in the day so something around that level would be okay.

Give Project Cars a whirl.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Armswinger's viability depends totally on what the game is trying to do. I played a bit of sprint vector a while back and thought it was awesome and fit perfectly with the game. In LA Noire it's utterly game ruining and I loathed that I couldn't just use the analog sticks to the point that I will probably never bother to play it again and regret ever buying it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I played Pavlov (or Onward, can’t remember) online and I happened to run into one of the funniest moments I’ve ever had in VR. One guy on my team was LARPing (VRping?) being a squad leader and was very motivational and serious about the whole thing. He had orders for everyone, and ignored the snickers of everyone else who thought he was being ridiculous. We were on the subway map and needed to turn a corner and the other team was on the other side of the subway tracks. Before we went through the archway to get in there he gave us a short speech about how we were becoming men. Then one by one as we picked them off or were picked off ourselves he kept giving coaching and when we’d die he’d be like “just hold on soldier, you’re going to make it. We’ll get you back home to your mother soon” and poo poo. I got shot almost as soon as I turned the corner and was incapacitated and waiting for a medic and the dude was super sympathetic and yelling “just hold on until I can get over there. Don’t close your eyes, don’t go to sleep, don’t go into the light, I’ll be right there.” It was the funniest thing and the dude never broke character.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For those of you with NMS performance issues in VR, I may have stumbled on a fix.

Mine ran pretty poorly after this update, with lots of stuttering and reprojection. I assumed it was SteamVR cranking the SS up to 150% again, but when I dug in it wasn’t that.

Turns out that by default NMS VR is hugely single-core, so once it maxes out that core, it’s done, performance-wise. Thankfully you can change that in a config file

In the NMS folder in your Steam games directory, find
/binaries/settings/TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.VR.MXML

in that file will be two values, “NumHighThreads” and “NumLowThreads”

The key seems to be to set it to use all threads minus one for the OS/SteamVR/Whatever.

So if you, like me, have a 12 logical core processor, you’d want to reserve one for SteamVR, giving you 11 cores left. You then set NumLowThreads to 1, leaving you 10 cores, so you then set NumHighThreads to 10

A 16 core would get low cores of 1 and high cores of 14 and so on.

This took the game from a hitchy stuttery mess to 90fps nearly all the time for me. Well worth it if you want to explore some planets

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
A new through the lens video.. G2 v Q2 v Index this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny_OPsxHQmU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My best friend just got a new high end rig, with oculus rift, and he had me play alyx.

Holy poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

My best friend just got a new high end rig, with oculus rift, and he had me play alyx.

Holy poo poo.

Hi Welcome

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wish I could recapture that holy poo poo feeling from my first time in VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thoatse posted:

Thanks for that. As an ecstatic Index-haver, I gotta say that G2 display looks ridiculous.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What kind of racing?

Dirt Rally 2 is probably the best VR racing game IMO. But you have to be into the idea of Rally driving

Project Cars 2 is probably your best bet for a Gran Turismo like

Assetto Corsa is also pretty good as a Gran Turismo like, it takes some more setup but has tons of mods if you wanna do that

Redout and BallisticNG are VR Wipeout clones

Touring Karts is a VR Mario Kart clone

V-Racer Hoverbike is a pretty cool Jet Moto style game where you have to actually lean in 3D space in order to turn your hoverbike

The first 3 are more "real cars, real physics" where the last 4 are more "arcade fun stuff"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Thoatse posted:

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks for that. As an ecstatic Index-haver, I gotta say that G2 display looks ridiculous.

While the G2 image looks great, it looks like the settings are a bit weird? Like on the Steam page the images look better on the G2 but the text is really washed out and hard to read. And the Index definitely had some weird things going on with the lighting in some of those.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

While the G2 image looks great, it looks like the settings are a bit weird? Like on the Steam page the images look better on the G2 but the text is really washed out and hard to read. And the Index definitely had some weird things going on with the lighting in some of those.

It's a camera, not a human eye. He warns always at the start of the video that it isn't 100% faithful to the real experience. And even then, in some games you can notice how the position of the camera is surely a bit up or down than before, because in some games there is a slight distortion/glare effect on the superior side, while in others is on the bottom.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah, really the only thing through the lens video is good for is seeing screen door effect, and even then its only useful if one of the things being compared you have direct personal experience with.

If you'd never tried VR and watched any of the through the lens videos you'd come away with a really warped idea of VR displays.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Origami Dali posted:

Wish I could recapture that holy poo poo feeling from my first time in VR.

Same. Except you can still play dactyl nightmare and it still owns

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Trip report for foam replacement on Rift S:

I have a Rift S and I recently bought a set of replacements for the foam on the face gasket and headbands, from AMVR. It's Polyurethane "leather" so it is waterproof and wipes clean easily; the stock foam got really grody from playing Beat Saber repeatedly; especially the forehead foam was nasty because it's harder to remove often to rinse it out. They come with plastic replacements for the plastic the original foam is mounted on, so it's fully reversible. The plastic mounting things (and face gasket) have a velcro surface that the cushion thingys fasten to, so it's easy to take them off for adjustment.

The facial interface is noticeably thinner than the stock foam, which means I have to spend more time adjusting to get in a sweet spot (I'm closer to the lenses), but I also get slightly more FOV (because I'm closer to the lenses). Worth it to not hate myself for squeezing old sweat onto my face and forehead when I put the HMD on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been planning on buying that kit, but the thin looking face foam replacement has kept me on the fence.

Something has to be done about those sweat sponges though. it makes me not want to share my Rift S, which sucks because I love sharing VR. I did buy a silicone cover for the face foam but I think the forehead is the biggest concern as it absorbs the most and it hard to remove.

It's a well designed HMD but I still have no idea what they were thinking from a hygiene perspective. They should have at least made it more modular and released some sanitary first party options.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2020

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I’ve been using VR Cover’s v1 facial interface for the Quest and I never went back. The v2 looks even better and will def get the Quest 2 version when it’s out. They also sell machine washable cotton covers that are pretty good for guests.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dirt!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The new Walking Dead VR game dropped today. 20 minutes in and I requested a refund. It's like they took all the good stuff from S&S and nerfed it. You can't duck/kneel, you can't open anything in the env. that isnt highlighed as interactive, Index controllers arent really used. I guess they thought the first attempt was too hard for newbies so it's like babbies first VR game.

If it's your first VR game it's probably pretty good, though!

It's also interesting how they stole some design from HL:A; only one hand can hold a gun, and only the dominant hand can rotate between weapons. GD it Gaben look what you started!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When does the new Star Wars game drop? I’d google it but I can’t remember it’s name

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

It's also interesting how they stole some design from HL:A; only one hand can hold a gun, and only the dominant hand can rotate between weapons. GD it Gaben look what you started!

I guess on the whole it's better that my nightmare where I get eaten alive by a shadow person isn't the one that's coming true but I still hate it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When does the new Star Wars game drop? I’d google it but I can’t remember it’s name

Squadrons, Friday. It’s looking pretty good:

https://youtu.be/dE8bTOTj-tE

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

I played Pavlov (or Onward, can’t remember) online and I happened to run into one of the funniest moments I’ve ever had in VR. One guy on my team was LARPing (VRping?) being a squad leader and was very motivational and serious about the whole thing. He had orders for everyone, and ignored the snickers of everyone else who thought he was being ridiculous. We were on the subway map and needed to turn a corner and the other team was on the other side of the subway tracks. Before we went through the archway to get in there he gave us a short speech about how we were becoming men. Then one by one as we picked them off or were picked off ourselves he kept giving coaching and when we’d die he’d be like “just hold on soldier, you’re going to make it. We’ll get you back home to your mother soon” and poo poo. I got shot almost as soon as I turned the corner and was incapacitated and waiting for a medic and the dude was super sympathetic and yelling “just hold on until I can get over there. Don’t close your eyes, don’t go to sleep, don’t go into the light, I’ll be right there.” It was the funniest thing and the dude never broke character.
I've kind of given up on finding 'serious' pavlov matches and embraced the pure chaos modes and custom maps because yeah sometimes you get some screaming weirdos and instant-TKers but god when you find a weird dumb poolside M1-only map and everyone fucks around it's the best.

I've pre-ordered Squadrons on Steam because I'm 90% sure I'm gonna love it but probably not going to end up using my HOTAS for it. I don't know how you guys set yours up but I can't find any place to put it on my desk that doesn't murder my wrist when I have to tilt back on the jotstick. :(

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 29, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nuts and Gum posted:

The new Walking Dead VR game dropped today. 20 minutes in and I requested a refund. It's like they took all the good stuff from S&S and nerfed it. You can't duck/kneel, you can't open anything in the env. that isnt highlighed as interactive, Index controllers arent really used. I guess they thought the first attempt was too hard for newbies so it's like babbies first VR game.

If it's your first VR game it's probably pretty good, though!

So, they only copied literally the few parts that were terrible about HL:A?

lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put it up higher. That helped me. It lets you tilt it back by tilting your arm down a bit

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Stick the grip between your legs. It'll feel natural to handle it.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Nalin posted:

Stick the grip between your legs. It'll feel natural to handle it.

This, definitely

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GutBomb posted:

People like this are the best. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tehinternet posted:

People like this are the best. :allears:

Part of why I love The Great Pug in VRChat is sometimes madness occurs and you get two people in realistic John F Kennedy avatars arguing over who-ahh, is the real Kennedy. And-ahh let me tell you, they both made convincing cases about which was the impostah.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tom Guycot posted:

So, they only copied literally the few parts that were terrible about HL:A?

lmao

Basically! They did include arm swinging as a locomotion option, which is the only good thing I noticed about the game. There was also this red fog that encroaches on you so youre forced to rush through the environment, possibly so you don't notice how nothing is interactive and it's basically a glorified on-rails shooter.

Edit-I thought the use of shadows was cool. I didn't realize who I was until I saw my cowboy hat shadow. This game for some reason has the real actors' models in them, and possibly some voices? I don't watch the show so I dunno.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuts and Gum posted:

Basically! They did include arm swinging as a locomotion option, which is the only good thing I noticed about the game. There was also this red fog that encroaches on you so youre forced to rush through the environment, possibly so you don't notice how nothing is interactive and it's basically a glorified on-rails shooter.

Edit-I thought the use of shadows was cool. I didn't realize who I was until I saw my cowboy hat shadow. This game for some reason has the real actors' models in them, and possibly some voices? I don't watch the show so I dunno.

Carl!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

veni veni veni posted:

I've been planning on buying that kit, but the thin looking face foam replacement has kept me on the fence.

Something has to be done about those sweat sponges though. it makes me not want to share my Rift S, which sucks because I love sharing VR. I did buy a silicone cover for the face foam but I think the forehead is the biggest concern as it absorbs the most and it hard to remove.

It's a well designed HMD but I still have no idea what they were thinking from a hygiene perspective. They should have at least made it more modular and released some sanitary first party options.

I'd say the kit would be worth it just for the headband cushion replacements. And it hurts very little to also try the face gasket replacement if you do get the kit; it might work well for you.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I played some phasmophobia with some friends tonight, and it is rad as hell. It's the first time that I have felt uneasy playing a vr game in a long time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCsokBMJrDg
Pro version of G2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's really impressive. I kinda wish they would've gone all-out and added SteamVR tracking as well though.