Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eh, I've done a few (ARC and BRC2) and they're more riding focused, help you get accustomed to your bike, and have some fun new drills built in, like high lean-angle circles.

It is annoying getting stuck in the group with the Harley and the Buell Ulysses, instead of the R6, Ducati Desmowhateversupersportrustychain, and SV650 because your FZ6 is "not very sporty"

Also when the Harley is achieving greater lean angles than the Ducati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did ~120k to a friend’s house and back this weekend which was fun. I even got accustomed to some gusty high speed backroad open plain riding (~80-100km/h) without completely making GBS threads my pants, which was nice. At first it was real scary but eventually I think I just got too tired of reacting to the wind to do so, and suddenly felt more comfortable. Which, I mean, is what everyone suggests you do anyway, but sometimes it doesn’t hit home until you manage it accidentally and it just clicks. Let’s hope I remember for next time.

I did have a terrifying moment just 5-10k from my house. I was getting complacent thinking I was almost host so I somehow missed a crack in the road where the surfaces were shifted. I planted my front tire such that it slid along the side of the crack not being able to jump onto the higher surface and the bike bucked under me like it was ready to throw me off. Thankfully it was really localized and the bike stabilized but I learned a valuable lesson that the ride and potential danger isn’t over until the keys are out of the ignition.

I think the worst part of the above was that for the last 10k the bike felt incredibly wobbly to me. Like every uneven surface in my mind was about to make the bike buck again and really threw off my mental game.

Lesson learned going into the offseason, but overall I still had a great ride and I think I’ll be more comfortable tackling some windy days where I might otherwise have put the keys back on the key hook.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Had my longest ride so far yesterday. I got an email from the local MSF saying that due to covid, they wouldn't be having any classes this year.

I've mostly been putting around local backroads and town, with some parking lots for slow speed stuff thrown in, but yesterday was bright and sunny, not hot, so I decided to take the plunge and go for the ride I've been waiting about twenty years for!

I live adjacent to the Back of the Dragon, a little idea cooked up by a fella that's brought alot of business to the little town near where I grew up.

My ride was a little different though. It involved a stretch of road that has a few names, but that my friens Brian and I just call "The Valley".

It's mostly farmland, a few nice homes, a few not so nice homes, abandoned places, graveyards and the like.

It was an amazing ride yesterday. I had a big goony smile on my face, I had 80s hair metal in my earbuds and saw somw great stuff, including an old man taking a break by the side of the road on an old bike, a family playing at the park while I took my own break and having my picture taken by the photographer for BOTD.

I didn't go to all the haunts I promised myself I would when I imagined getting a bike, but I didn't wanne be greedy, or get sore and resent the bike and myself.

I feel a bit ridiculous though, I didn't realize I made my 750cc, 86hp when new in 1983 bike look so small.
😖

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

gileadexile posted:

I feel a bit ridiculous though, I didn't realize I made my 750cc, 86hp when new in 1983 bike look so small.
😖

You can't see yourself on the bike, and you're the only one who matters!

When I started, I spent a long time scheming and hunting for the best-looking motorcycle, and the minute I got on I realized that it didn't matter at all.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Greg12 posted:

When I started, I spent a long time scheming and hunting for the best-looking motorcycle, and the minute I got on I realized that it didn't matter at all.

Yeah I was the same way. Now all I care about is having fun with the raw gay horsepower.

I mean, aside from the blue wheels. I refuse to buy a DRZ that doesn't have ano blue wheels

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

I think the worst part of the above was that for the last 10k the bike felt incredibly wobbly to me. Like every uneven surface in my mind was about to make the bike buck again and really threw off my mental game.
I had a similar thing happen to me on a bicycle a few years ago, after my front tire fully slotted into a 4-inch-deep expansion gap. Somehow I didn't crash, which was good since this was in heavy traffic on a major road (Broadway Ave in Denver).

I can confirm that the adrenaline spike from this kind of near-crash will permanently embed itself in your thinking. Most of the edge wears off but you'll always be on alert when you see the same scenario now. (I can confirm that this hard-wired alerting happens on actual crashes too).

From what you're describing the fix for your situation is to take it at a less parallel angle. It's not the same scenario but this diagram shows the kind of swoop you want to do to make sure you get good traction popping onto / off of uneven pavement: https://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/images/np22hz.gif

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I learned that lesson by cutting across streetcar tracks too shallow a few years back with... predictable results :q:

The break in the road here was parallel with the direction of travel. So think like, trying to get your tire to jump the curb onto the sidewalk from the road, only on a much smaller scale. Unfortunately I can’t think of any maneuver I could do to cross that safely other than simply not crossing it. I think this was a real case of me just checking out being too comfortable on the road because I try not to make a habit of driving in/through cracks. Heck, I even avoid tar snakes as much as I can just because.

I checked my tire today and there’s even a big scuff where I gather the contact happened.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 29, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Greg12 posted:

Saaaaame and also I was sure i was gonna be a cruiser guy and now im on a dr650.

Also I've now been riding for a year as of yesterday and now both winter and covid restrictions are easing up and I'm moving near some hills (little hills bit better than the flat straight roads I live in now) I'm expecting to be riding a lot more.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Martytoof posted:

It's totally mental. A few weeks ago, despite riding fine for several hours, a near lowside shook my confidence through every turn afterwards.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
You first bike it like your first gently caress, there is basically no bike that a new rider won't fall in love with. It's amazing, it feels good. Then after you get experience you figure out what your fetishes are. I enjoy sports bikes and have for a while now but I'm really itching to get a bike I can put in a straight line and ride for a few hours without feeling fatigue. I test drove a few Harleys and I'm in love with everything except for the price tags which are just so dang high.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
This is not the ADVRider.txt thread, friend.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Oceanlife posted:

You first bike it like your first gently caress, there is basically no bike that a new rider won't fall in love with. It's amazing, it feels good. Then after you get experience you figure out what your fetishes are. I enjoy sports bikes and have for a while now but I'm really itching to get a bike I can put in a straight line and ride for a few hours without feeling fatigue. I test drove a few Harleys and I'm in love with everything except for the price tags which are just so dang high.

Cruising the highways in search of other like-minded and free spirited swingarms for suck squeeze bang blows

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oceanlife posted:

I can put in a straight line and ride for a few hours without feeling fatigue.

This is like almost every bike though. Definitely not a big heavy harley, though. Have you tried something with standard ergos and nice wind protection like a touring or ADV bike? I recently found the VStrom to be an effortless all day ride, even in the mountains.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Goldwing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Cruising the highways in search of other like-minded and free spirited swingarms for suck squeeze bang blows

Searching for smooth shaft-driven stimulation, shooting smoke from my tail pipe all the while.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

Im gonna post this every time someone gets too horney about motorcycles

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think we are being to hard on them. It was an apt analogy, rather than being horny for motorcycles.

If this was ADVrider we would all be comparing our motorcycles to previous lovers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is okay to treat your motorcycle like it's a pet. a trusty horse or something. sometimes when i have a close call and just dodge out of the way of an idiot driver, or when i make it home chilled to the bone after blasting through a rainstorm, i will pat and rub the bike on the side of its gas tank like a dog. good bike.

it is not okay to treat your motorcycle like it's a human woman.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What if you think of it as a trusty horse AND you want to gently caress it? Where does mechanobestiality fall?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The highest offices of the United States of America.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And that brings us full-circle by giving learners a whole new reason to avoid fifty-pencing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oceanlife posted:

You first bike it like your first gently caress, there is basically no bike that a new rider won't fall in love with. It's amazing, it feels good. Then after you get experience you figure out what your fetishes are.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Price tag is the issue. Yeah I can go for an old goldwing but I have a ZX-7r that annoys the hell out of me because I hate messing with the carbs and spending 10 minutes properly warming it up. Most days I grab my Ninja 400 because I like stuff to just work.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Hello Jet Mechanic Goon.

Coydog posted:

This is like almost every bike though. Definitely not a big heavy harley, though. Have you tried something with standard ergos and nice wind protection like a touring or ADV bike? I recently found the VStrom to be an effortless all day ride, even in the mountains.

Agreed with that. Realistically I would just buy a Yamaha Roadstar or something because that's what any logical person would do. The Harley is one of those bikes I just want to own because I just want to own one. I guess I dream of roaming the country side with 50 year old dentists cosplaying as 1%'ers and not waving at sports bikes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Rode today with my friend with a packtalk bold and it was a fun experience. Great for the one-on-one ability to chat without having to interpret hand gestures, pull over or yell at each other at stoplights.

Also went to a parking lot to practice leaning harder on turns and had a low-speed lowside when I applied the throttle in the turn at a hard lean instead of when I was coming out of it. Learned a lesson. I was wearing full gear. Bike is fine, and I got a bruise on my hip and a scrape on my forearm. My friend was more upset than I was though- I would much rather do that in a parking lot than off a mountain or on an onramp. Also remembered to say a silent thanks that I didn't do it on a new bike.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm kinda anxious about winterization, but it's rapidly approaching. Got some fuel stabilizer, a cover and ACF50 to prevent any rust.
My plan is to wash it, apply the ACF50, probably lube the chain just in case, drive it to it's winter home and then cover exhaust and intake before finally putting it on the center stand. Anything I have missed?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Battery tender if you want, carpet squares to put under your tires if you’re neurotic.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Or just a bit of cardboard under the center stand to insulate it, if you're setting the bike on concrete.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

moxieman posted:

Battery tender if you want, carpet squares to put under your tires if you’re neurotic.

Oh ill take the battery out, forgot that.

pun pundit posted:

Or just a bit of cardboard under the center stand to insulate it, if you're setting the bike on concrete.

What's the point of this? Insulate from what?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keep the rubber from rotting. I don’t know if it’s a super prevalent issue but I definitely erred on “it’s little effort so why not”

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Depends how much you ride really. I ride enough that both of my bikes get new tires at least once every year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Shouldn't you lift your bike if possible to prevent flat spots on your tires from sitting in one place for months at a time?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

SEKCobra posted:

What's the point of this? Insulate from what?

If your bike sits on a stand on concrete with any air circulation in the room the static electricity will ground through the stand, increasing corrosion. At least that's what I've heard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Symba has been road legal for all of 26 hours, so of course I'm window shopping.

I take it that something like this is going to be an extremely safe bet:

Offer $2500 or $2700 to get it out of their garage?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pun pundit posted:

If your bike sits on a stand on concrete with any air circulation in the room the static electricity will ground through the stand, increasing corrosion. At least that's what I've heard.

Huh. Never heard this before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phone posted:

The Symba has been road legal for all of 26 hours, so of course I'm window shopping.

Looks good to me. And starting naked means less plastic to replace/care about when you inevitably drop it.

Check the age of the tires, if the owner put 100mi on it in a year it’s likely he hasn’t touched them, and they may still be original and are at the end of their lifespan. But that’s just something to take into consideration and likely to be the case on any 2015 “beginner” bike.

SEKCobra posted:

Huh. Never heard this before.

Huh me either, I thought we were talking about rubber concrete rot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

Martytoof posted:

Looks good to me. And starting naked means less plastic to replace/care about when you inevitably drop it.

Check the age of the tires, if the owner put 100mi on it in a year it’s likely he hasn’t touched them, and they may still be original and are at the end of their lifespan. But that’s just something to take into consideration and likely to be the case on any 2015 “beginner” bike.

To add to this, the factory tyres on those bikes are flaming feces and somewhat cripple a really sweet handing bike, I'd replace them regardless.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

OK... what about a CB500F for a few hundred dollars more?

(I never messaged the CB300F guy because it rained all weekend and I was cleaning the garage, and now it's gone)

e: for reference
CB300F: 30.5hp @ 8500 rpm, 19.9 ft-lbs @ 7250 rpm
CB500F: 47.6hp @ 8500 rpm, 31.7 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 14, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My government considers both of those as learner bikes by the criteria of displacement and power to weight ratio.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That one disappeared, so must have sold either yesterday or today. vOv

The search continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You could probably buy a new CB300F for nearly 3k if you can find one on a lot. It’s been discontinued for like 3 years.

I have a CB300R which is fairly similar. It’s the same engine and transmission, but ~30-35 pounds lighter. I’m probably around 170 in gear, and I think it is plenty of power for twisty roads.

You’d probably be fine with either but I think lighter is better.

Edit: by that I mean the 300 is lighter than the 500, not the R is lighter than the F.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 15, 2020