Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can now cross "smoking a joint while kayaking" off my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bonzo posted:

I can now cross "smoking a joint while kayaking" off my list

I'm pretty sure this make you some sort of legit pirate, based on some technicality.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Woke up this morning, was going to take the dog to the park. Go to have a shower, no hot water. Call a plumber, need a new tank, there goes $2000. House is getting sold in a week so it needs to be done.
As I'm digesting that bombshell my mom calls to tell me my old cat died. RIP Igby buddy, you were the best little dude.

I need a joint and a nap. gently caress today.

This is Igby. He was the best little guy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Aw man, that’s a stroke of bad luck :(

RIP Igby. He looks like he was a wonderful cat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi weed thread, I need a new grinder after having the same one for like a decade. What's the current hotness for a good-but-not-ridiculously-expensive 4 piece grinder?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm still using my 15 year old spacecase. So, a proper, non-knockoff spacecase.

How it hasn't been lost, stolen, or confiscated in that time frame, I have no idea, but it's still the best $50~ I've ever spent on weed accessories.

RIP Igby.

Cats rule.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rip Igby

explosivo posted:

Hi weed thread, I need a new grinder after having the same one for like a decade. What's the current hotness for a good-but-not-ridiculously-expensive 4 piece grinder?

The two main schools of thought on this are:

Buy something on amazon for $15-20 that's made of bare metal with no paint/stain on it, and you'll be just fine

-or-

Spend like $100 on a fancy grinder that looks the same and does the same thing but claims to have magical powers/future technology.

There's not a lot of middle ground between the two. It reminds me of the late 00s when lab type glass started replacing cheech and chong type glass, and some people ascribed magical powers to Roors. All I'll say is you absolutely do not ever need a $100 grinder, speaking from decades of first-hand experience. Also that kief screens in the default grinder model are loving dumb. Leave the kief with the weed, it's mostly just pulverized plant poo poo down there anyhow.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use a cheapo fishing reel style one from ali-express. i broke one and had to buy another but since the whole top part doesn't rotate they need cleaned less often and the top doesn't stick near as much

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009739360.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e234c4dyVOctu

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I have a Cali Crusher that I bought two years ago for 20 bucks, and it's awesome. About the size of a hockey puck, will grind a gram at once. Just might need a bit of hand strength if you get some bigger buds in there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Space Case prices are insane so yeah I just ordered a ~$25 Chromium Crusher from Amazon. Thanks weed thread!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i bought a grinder with a crank and it was a legit life upgrade

grinder talk

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Space Case probably 10 years ago now, tiny little heavy silver guy. Works like a fuckin' charm. I have another that is a Cali Crusher and it's good too. Just be careful on the cheaper aluminum ones, some of them have metal that flakes off and smoking metal sounds awful

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

explosivo posted:

Space Case prices are insane so yeah I just ordered a ~$25 Chromium Crusher from Amazon. Thanks weed thread!

Lol, yeah, I just looked for the first time in years.

I'm relatively sure mine was $50-60 when I bought it, probably on a sale. Just a basic 4 piece. Granted that was a lot for a grinder even then, but 15 years later, it's still here.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

I bought a Space Case probably 10 years ago now, tiny little heavy silver guy. Works like a fuckin' charm. I have another that is a Cali Crusher and it's good too. Just be careful on the cheaper aluminum ones, some of them have metal that flakes off and smoking metal sounds awful
If your weed ever gets hot enough to vaporize aluminum you have bigger problems on your hands. But I think the badly milled aluminum grinders are mostly a thing of the past at this point

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I have a Santa Cruz Shredder that’s been great for 2 years. I’m debating spending $75 for a Brilliant Cut purely because I don’t need a separate kief chamber and prefer to just mix it with the herb whenever I accumulate enough to scrape out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You can just screw the kief catch tray into where you'd normally screw in the screen layer and have a 3 part grinder instead of a 4 part grinder

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

You can just screw the kief catch tray into where you'd normally screw in the screen layer and have a 3 part grinder instead of a 4 part grinder

Most grinders don't actually have a deep enough bottom stage to do this practically. The walls on the bottom stage are too low and your weed will spill when you open it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I still use a V.2 space case that I bought back in 2004. I did temporarily replace it with a phoenician grinder, but the police decided they liked the look of it and stole it from me a few years ago.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

poverty goat posted:

Most grinders don't actually have a deep enough bottom stage to do this practically. The walls on the bottom stage are too low and your weed will spill when you open it

Well shucks, I can do that with mine but it's a chunky awful potmetal grinder purchased half a lifetime ago at a headshop

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

If your weed ever gets hot enough to vaporize aluminum you have bigger problems on your hands. But I think the badly milled aluminum grinders are mostly a thing of the past at this point

Yeah, very true. It was probably like 6-8 years ago that I remember encountering lovely milled aluminum grinders and literally seeing little metal bits in the flower. You're right though, everything I see these days, unless it's like suspiciously cheap, looks like it's pretty drat nice.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm realizing how lovely the early 2010s were for weed. You had fake chemical weed that could gently caress you up real good, it was still fairly illegal in most places and all of the paraphernalia was complete poo poo.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

explosivo posted:

Santa Cruz Shredder or Brilliant Cut (3 piece). The wait time for the BCG sucks but it’s very much worth the wait and price.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I'm realizing how lovely the early 2010s were for weed. You had fake chemical weed that could gently caress you up real good, it was still fairly illegal in most places and all of the paraphernalia was complete poo poo.

I had accidentally blurted out a new nickname for a dude with "K.K." initials as "K2 Spice" and got a hearty chuckle from my coworkers but my boss had to pull me aside and ask why it was funny.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Video Nasty posted:

I had accidentally blurted out a new nickname for a dude with "K.K." initials as "K2 Spice" and got a hearty chuckle from my coworkers but my boss had to pull me aside and ask why it was funny.

I remember I was unemployed in 2008 and one of my friends picked some up and we smoked it in my parent's backyard. At the time it was like "wow this is cool" but looking back, that poo poo was absolutely Not Right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i smoked some spice at a party once and it was not a good experience. a good friend's roommate had to go to rehab for it and all his friends were baffled he didn't just smoke weed

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do positive experiences with spice even exist? I don't think I've heard one that justified smoking spice over regular weed.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Do positive experiences with spice even exist? I don't think I've heard one that justified smoking spice over regular weed.

I don't know. My experiences were that the high was serviceable and not that bad, but the after effects were really harsh. It's just weird to think that people would get hooked on that poo poo today when weed really isn't that hard to find.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Some people on parole, with CDLs or random job drug tests definitely felt that fake weed was better than no weed

E: not to say that fake weed was ever a good thing, just that it all leads back to all the dumb zero tolerance drug tests we have in America and weed's exceptionally long detection period

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 29, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I don't know. My experiences were that the high was serviceable and not that bad, but the after effects were really harsh. It's just weird to think that people would get hooked on that poo poo today when weed really isn't that hard to find.

there are still places today where weed is hard to find. its a lot harder to casually find weed in much of the UK for example and i know kratom and other fake weed is fairly popular there

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Protocol7 posted:

Do positive experiences with spice even exist?

Spice sounds like joose, in that people's experiences were always negative & deleterious but people still loved doing it for some reason.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I remember the first synthetic cannabinoids like JWH-018 that actual researchers developed in the late 2000s not being completely terrible, but once manufacturers just started knocking off and adding random molecules to try and skirt government bans it got nasty quick.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Some people loved jwh-250. It was apparently something like sativa crack. Some goons who were big into it couldn't get high on regular weed for years after.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

poverty goat posted:

Some people loved jwh-250. It was apparently something like sativa crack. Some goons who were big into it couldn't get high on regular weed for years after.

That sounds like my own personal kryptonite. Sativas are awesome. Indica fucks up my time perception and I spend 2 hours in the shower.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wish my water heater held two hours of water. Stupid apartment 40gal bullshit.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I wish my water heater held two hours of water. Stupid apartment 40gal bullshit.

Inline hot water is the way.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Inline hot water is the way.

Got outbid on a beautiful house that had a top-of-the-line inline water heater already installed, honestly not having that water heater already installed and ready to go was the biggest bummer of not buying that house.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Protocol7 posted:

Got outbid on a beautiful house that had a top-of-the-line inline water heater already installed, honestly not having that water heater already installed and ready to go was the biggest bummer of not buying that house.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The good news is, if you can hit a dab, you can braze pipes. Go install your inline hot water heater.

Apply torch, touch with solder. Bing bong so simple.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

there are still places today where weed is hard to find. its a lot harder to casually find weed in much of the UK for example and i know kratom and other fake weed is fairly popular there

I forget that it's still hella tough outside of the US. Shows how much I travel I guess. What's the worst tourist destination country for weed? Not like North Korea and poo poo, but places I might go

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I forget that it's still hella tough outside of the US. Shows how much I travel I guess. What's the worst tourist destination country for weed? Not like North Korea and poo poo, but places I might go

well outside of North Korea there are many other parts of Asia that are frequent tourist destinations but which have extremely harsh penalties for weed, including death in some cases. some Middle Eastern countries also have extremely harsh weed penalties.

Europe is pretty mixed with countries like Netherlands that are almost fully legal and countries like France where they can gently caress your poo poo up for even a small amount if the cops are in a mood, or Russia which is even harsher I've heard. and in the middle places like Czechia where it's not officially legal but tons of people smoke and its sort of unofficially tolerated and its super easy to find. South America from what I've heard is a similar kind of mix, more harsh in Brazil, fully legal in Uruguay, other countries are in between in terms of police tolerance, some have medical but not recreational

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

bagmonkey posted:

Singapore.