Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mode 7 posted:

Is there anyone here who has read the original novels and who is still unaware of the plot for Hunters of Dune/Sandworms of Dune? If so can you please make up what you thought Dune 7 would be like/about in your head, then go read the summaries of those and report back.

I only got a little ways into reading a summary and now I'm mad at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

threelemmings posted:

Ah, the Tom Jabbar. It punctures only... footballs.

lmao

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

Also sorry for posting duneauthor in the no duneauthor zone but people need to understand just how loving bad it is.

Is there anyone here who has read the original novels and who is still unaware of the plot for Hunters of Dune/Sandworms of Dune? If so can you please make up what you thought Dune 7 would be like/about in your head, then go read the summaries of those and report back.

Maybe they wouldn't have had to write two loving novels if they hadn't spent an entire novels worth of trash garbage writing desperately bending everything to line up with the godawful prequel poo poo they'd just finished writing.

Ok, so I assume that Dune 6 is a prequel and involves discussion examination of the fremen, how they got to Arrakis, how their culture developed, how they developed a relationship with the great worm that evolved into a religion.
I thought it would be funny if the fremen were portrayed as farmers and they use the worms like beasts of burden. "Hyah! Hyah, Shaihulud, Hyah!" *snaps reigns*

Ok so on to wikipedia to see what Dune 6/7 is like and WHAT THE JUMPIN JESUS IS THIS poo poo

Ok, so it's the continuation of Frank's work, cool my bad.

I don't even know where to start.

"Though the Honored Matres had destroyed all Bene Tleilax worlds, their descendants (the Lost Tleilaxu) have returned from The Scattering." I thought the point of the scattering would remain scattered otherwise it breeds in fault that would allow mankind to go extinct.

"Uxtal has been forced to use Tleilaxu axlotl tank technology to produce the adrenaline-enhancing drug used by Honored Matres." Yeah, because HM are totally fine with axlotl tanks :rolleyes:

"The Paul ghola steals and consumes an overdose of spice in an attempt to remember his past, but instead has a vision of being stabbed by an evil version of himself." WTF is this poo poo

" Daniel and Marty, now known to be thinking machine leaders Omnius and Erasmus." I uhh hmmm

"Leto walks into the belly of the largest worm, Monarch, and the seven worms twist together and join into one giant superworm before digging deep into the ground." Well this is something.

I'll let one critic quote end this post: "The lengthy climax relies on at least four consecutive deus ex machina bailouts"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Worms twisting together into a Wormking kinds rules :can:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Would low-g Arrakis make the worms more plausible by making it easier to move through the sand or something?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

maybe early spaceflight had humans in low-g environments for so long that they could only settle low-gravity worlds.

so it's never mentioned because they all consider it normal, but Caladan and Arrakis and Geidi Prime are all the size of the Moon, and if any human circa 10191 tried to walk on Earth they'd break all their bones

that's dumb, frank just didn't pay attention when he wrote some of the stuff. too horny to think about gravity.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Here's a new edition of the first book for everyone to spend their money on. Only half remaining! https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/dune-limited-edition.html

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No author could fully prepare for the zillion personhours nerds have spent poring over something like dune

Things that don't matter to the story and aren't particularly interesting to the author get left out

Then we all comic book guy the poo poo out if it

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

threelemmings posted:

Ah, the Tom Jabbar. It punctures only... footballs.

Haha, okay, this one really has me chuckling.

Mode 7 posted:

I treasure my ignorance, but I need to finish re-reading the series before making any good guesses. From what I remember of Chapterhouse 10+ years ago there didn't seem to be any obvious sequel hooks, so presumably just Miles Teg: Space Badass roaming around having adventures?

Tree Bucket posted:

That's the thing I love about Dune. It is compelling enough that your brain just tries to make it work, even though it's sheer madness from top to bottom. For instance: has anyone does the maths on the amount of energy required to shift an object half a kilometre long long and 40 metres wide through sand at 50kmh? I bet it's rather a lot.

IIRC he does mention the immense static charge that builds up and the lightning it creates. Maker hooks must be some heavy duty grounding wires.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Chairdogs loving own

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Chairdogs and cat dudes, worm gods and mouse boys

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Chairdogs and cat dudes, worm gods and mouse boys

These are a few of my favourite thiiiings

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Ok, so I assume that Dune 6 is a prequel and involves discussion examination of the fremen, how they got to Arrakis, how their culture developed, how they developed a relationship with the great worm that evolved into a religion.
I thought it would be funny if the fremen were portrayed as farmers and they use the worms like beasts of burden. "Hyah! Hyah, Shaihulud, Hyah!" *snaps reigns*

Ok so on to wikipedia to see what Dune 6/7 is like and WHAT THE JUMPIN JESUS IS THIS poo poo

Ok, so it's the continuation of Frank's work, cool my bad.

I don't even know where to start.

"Though the Honored Matres had destroyed all Bene Tleilax worlds, their descendants (the Lost Tleilaxu) have returned from The Scattering." I thought the point of the scattering would remain scattered otherwise it breeds in fault that would allow mankind to go extinct.

"Uxtal has been forced to use Tleilaxu axlotl tank technology to produce the adrenaline-enhancing drug used by Honored Matres." Yeah, because HM are totally fine with axlotl tanks :rolleyes:

"The Paul ghola steals and consumes an overdose of spice in an attempt to remember his past, but instead has a vision of being stabbed by an evil version of himself." WTF is this poo poo

" Daniel and Marty, now known to be thinking machine leaders Omnius and Erasmus." I uhh hmmm

"Leto walks into the belly of the largest worm, Monarch, and the seven worms twist together and join into one giant superworm before digging deep into the ground." Well this is something.

I'll let one critic quote end this post: "The lengthy climax relies on at least four consecutive deus ex machina bailouts"

Jihad on Failson and Goofus Starwar Boy. :jihad::jihad::jihad:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

can't wait for the next dune series ghostwritten by karen traviss

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I might be blurry on later books but ultraspice was failson thing, right?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

can't wait for the next dune series ghostwritten by karen traviss

Tbh, it is a hard thing to surpass NO, gently caress YOU DAD! energy of duneauthor but Traviss can get close

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Galewolf posted:

I might be blurry on later books but ultraspice was failson thing, right?

Oh yeah. From aquatic worms on caladan or some poo poo. That was a wild wiki romp when I decided to look through a summary of the failson books

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Duncaan

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

are chairdogs, like sligs, created by the Tleilaxu to spiritually degrade the people who use them?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Was it in there or in another thread where a goon posted their framed side by side Jodo/Lynch posters? As I recall that Jodo one was one of those hypothetical fan art ones made up to look like it was a full Dune movie, not the documentary. Wanted to see that art again

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

pnumoman posted:

Oh yeah. From aquatic worms on caladan or some poo poo.

????

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
having googled it i now know that ULTRASPICE comes from seaworms genetically engineered by a man named Tylwyth Waff

just loving say that aloud

Tylwyth Waff

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Tywin Worf?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Has anybody ever checked the celestial mechanics for Arrakis, because it doesn't seem to make sense. Arrakeen and most of the known civilization on the planet is said to be clustered far up in the northern regions, with Arrakeen being at a fairly high latitude. But at one point in Dune Messiah the sun is described as being almost "directly overhead" during mid day, which wouldn't happen without some extreme axial tilt. And if that were the case there would be significant parts of the year where the sun alternately doesn't set or doesn't rise, which you think would have been mentioned at some point.

e: obviously this is the most pedantic of nits to pick, I just find it interesting that he put so much thought into the ecology side but whiffed it on the "what does the sun actually do at high latitudes" aspect.

I think Bradbury's Defence may apply here.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zopotantor posted:

I think Bradbury's Defence may apply here.

What is that? Googling it just shows a bunch of sports articles.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

tactlessbastard posted:

What is that? Googling it just shows a bunch of sports articles.

"So I hit him."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
One thing I like about Dune is how it's full of awesome people and groups who nevertheless constantly fail and just eat poo poo for it whether or not it's their fault, and it just feels organic to the story rather than mean spirited for the sake of it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

having googled it i now know that ULTRASPICE comes from seaworms genetically engineered by a man named Tylwyth Waff

just loving say that aloud

Tylwyth Waff

That name is
a) Welsh
b) from GOOD BOOK heretics of dune

Posthuman
Jan 10, 2005

I give all those dicks and cocks sir

euphronius posted:

He started writing fascist garbage

There were a lot of fascist-type characters in his novels, but those were usually the bad guys. From what I recall of the Across Realtime series, he seemed pretty anti-government in general. From what you say I'd gather that's changed, but I haven't seen any examples yet. Is it in his newer fiction-writing, or essays, or what?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sean10mm posted:

One thing I like about Dune is how it's full of awesome people and groups who nevertheless constantly fail and just eat poo poo for it whether or not it's their fault, and it just feels organic to the story rather than mean spirited for the sake of it.

Yeah, he's just poking fun at our expectations and grandiosity. He writes the same kinda stuff the epigrams between chapters, where people in the present, despite a lot of research and work, still make ridiculous assumptions about the ancient days.

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu

Cacator posted:

Here's a new edition of the first book for everyone to spend their money on. Only half remaining! https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/dune-limited-edition.html

I got the first edition of the prior folio society one which was like $120 originally. But this? Holy cash grab batman. And to make it worse it comes with a failson book as well. Oh and it's only 700 bucks. What the gently caress.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I would like to get a nice hardcover of the first book but all these modern reissues look and seem kinda lame. Why can't they just slap one of those old weird paintings on a dust jacket and sell it to me

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The first edition that Folio put out is actually really well done.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

_Loser_ posted:

I got the first edition of the prior folio society one which was like $120 originally. But this? Holy cash grab batman. And to make it worse it comes with a failson book as well. Oh and it's only 700 bucks. What the gently caress.

For the TRUE fans.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Publish the whole series (of 6 books) on filament paper no longer than the tip of my thumb, you'll cowards.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the planet size thing is a common problem in sci-fi cause to be able to create a fully accurate fictional world you need to have accurate knowledge of basically everything in the real world, which is basically impossible to just have

you either have to do a shitload of boring, confusing research to learn the astrophysics of a solar system and then construct one to your specifications, having all the right dimensions, axial spin, distance from the sun, etc etc to have all the conditions you want

or you can just say 'a massive desert world' and be done with it.

the mistake is trying to big-dick it with incomplete knowledge. never give specific details that you are not sure about, because someone out there will be sure about it. herbert also didn't have the internet, so it was much harder to work these things out back then. these days you can pop onto a sci-fi astrophysics forum and say 'does this sound right' and helpful nerds will help you out.

'hard' sci fi is very difficult to write because rocket science is used as an example of a difficult thing for a reason. but i would always encourage doing the research, because often in the pursuit of researching one detail you will find some other fact that you didn't know about before, which can turn out to be even better than what you were originally thinking of.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Or you can go the neal stephenson/michael chricton route and know just enough about something to make a story and never speak about it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

Or you can go the neal stephenson/michael chricton route and know just enough about something to make a story

Too bad Stephenson often can’t be bothered to do that.

I’m still salty about how bad Reamde was.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really enjoyed the pulp that was The Big U from him, but I get frustrated when I think about the guy falling out of the window, landing on the couch, and bursting into flames "for reasons we would later discover."

We never discovered them! He forgot to add that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Too bad Stephenson often can’t be bothered to do that.

Reamde was deliberately an attempt to make an 'airport novel' adventure. It's pulpyness is part of it's charm. Def not his best work, but fun in a stupid way.

Seveneves was worse, I reckon, because it was meant to be serious.

Has anyone read Dodge yet?