Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
I'd have been happy with uni flatmates that just ate the food that belonged to them. Any kind of snack food left in the fridge was liable to be opened, eaten in it's entirety, and the empty packet left for you to find, the cunts.

Edit: This happened 156 times until I got a mini fridge for Christmas.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

If only :sigh:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pilchards like that are good on toast topped with cheese, but can't speak to those fish.

Sardines are just young pilchards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps more accurate then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the new statesman and everyone who writes for it are massive cunts

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1311026298920337409?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/comradefraz/status/1311035784875700230?s=20

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1311035553140350977?s=20

I remember having a brief nice chat in the UKMT a couple of months ago about Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha etc. It feels like it's coming back to haunt us somehow

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Answers Me posted:

I remember having a brief nice chat in the UKMT a couple of months ago about Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha etc. It feels like it's coming back to haunt us somehow

Was just coming to post this. I feel like this is one of those things where my initial reaction incredulous laughter, followed milliseconds later by the thought that yes, of course they considered this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Saw this story on the Independent's website.

Seems like a completely normal Tory MP saying normal things.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-tim-davie-david-clementi-select-committee-impartiality-licence-fee-b691803.html

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They can stay here, I'll go.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
I recognise that this is probably going over well trodden ground, but I do find myself wondering daily how, in the event of a Corbyn landslide, the red tops would be reporting news stories like this:

quote:

It’s not illegal for people from two households in north east England to meet outdoors, PM clarifies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Saw this story on the Independent's website.

Seems like a completely normal Tory MP saying normal things.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-tim-davie-david-clementi-select-committee-impartiality-licence-fee-b691803.html

this is the MRA MP who is in a relationship with esther mcvey

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They're married.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Cefte posted:

I recognise that this is probably going over well trodden ground, but I do find myself wondering daily how, in the event of a Corbyn landslide, the red tops would be reporting news stories like this:

I'm utterly convinced there would have been a military coup by the end of April. The way the press would have portrayed that brief period where there was no food on the shelves, the whole country was under house arrest, the economy had ground to a halt... but with Corbyn in charge of it all? He wouldn't have stood a chance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol novara media have deleted their article justifying the bolivian coup but not the tweets

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1165994143274942465?s=20
https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1165994883330584582?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cefte posted:

The initial lock down restrictions would have been resisted violently under a Corbyn government as the papers decried the life and economy saving measures being put in place as Stalinism. I know it in my bones.

Amazingly it seems the problem would have been with protecting the economy too well as the corrupt tendering process for medical technology and heavily biased business support schemes the Tories have launched are getting a much better response from the press while they're quite happy with all the restrictions of individual freedom.

Also what have people seen and heard about the various anti-lockdown demonstrations taking place or have seen others write on it? I understand it's general conspiracy theory/Qanon crowds with lots of anti-vaccination stuff going around as well but I'd be pretty keen to know more about what the main UK themes are but really don't want to dive into the community and see it for myself.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 29, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1310934858752036870?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

also lol

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1311041072546619392?s=20

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

- Tip tin (either tin) into a small bowl. Add some lemon juice and salt, mix it all up together with a fork and leave it to sit while you do the other prep.
- Slice an onion and start frying it in a saucepan with oil and a bit of salt and pepper. After 6-7 minutes, peel and smash a clove of garlic and add it in. Fry for another minute.
- Add in the fish/lemon/salt mix, some chilli flakes, a big squirt of tomato puree and get it gently simmering. Add splashes of water carefully - you want just enough so the mix will simmer without sticking but not so much that it goes watery (this should be a very thick sauce).
-Once it's simmering, add a handful of frozen peas and more salt & pepper to taste. Stick a lid on the pan and leave it to cook while you do the pasta.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Only guy not included was the bloke from Accrington who lived off horrifying kebabs and disappeared after the Christmas holidays.

No such thing as a horrifying kebab imo :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

Toast some bread, put the fish and some of the sauce on the bread, put cheese over it, grill it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

The initial lock down restrictions would have been resisted violently under a Corbyn government as the papers decried the life and economy saving measures being put in place as Stalinism. I know it in my bones.
Would there have necessarily been a lockdown under Corbyn? Considering the science properly and looking at what other islands and effectively islands like Taiwan and South Korea did, lockdown could have been shifted to the points of entry, rather than internally.

That would have required robust contact tracing though, which of course would have been Corbyn's Stalinism killing almost 1,000 people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also I remember the year after uni phoning my mum up to ask what 'simmer' meant. Never lived that down.

Only learned to cook when I moved to America a couple of years later and found to my horror that if I wanted a chicken jalfrezi or a Cornish pasty I would have to make it myself from scratch, then turns out I actually really enjoy cooking. I wonder if alternate universe me who met a nice British girl would ever have learned.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

Would there have necessarily been a lockdown under Corbyn? Considering the science properly and looking at what other islands and effectively islands like Taiwan and South Korea did, lockdown could have been shifted to the points of entry, rather than internally.

That would have required robust contact tracing though, which of course would have been Corbyn's Stalinism killing almost 1,000 people.

SK initially had lockdown procedures for sure and the proximity and relationship with Europe would definitely have meant we couldn't just replicate Taiwan just like that. Once there's a government order to wear masks and stay home or close pubs or whatever then it's off to the races.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It didn't have lockdowns of the 700,000 jobs and 21% of GDP variety though, and it's only just started considering more after a second spike, the first causing almost 400 deaths.

Adherence to PPE and tracking rules would definitely be lower under Corbyn though, and also communism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

this is the MRA MP who is in a relationship with esther mcvey

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1310870440622149634?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

I think that only applies if you're too old to get sent to little st james instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I think [it] needs to be removed from the whole educational system – a left-learning bias or an educational bias in the whole of the education platform."

No left-learning (had to read that twice) or bias towards education in the education platform!

What even are teachers supposed to be doing if they're not challenging your views or presuppositions? Left, right, whatever. Most young left leaning people have badly formed idiot ideas too, because they've not thought things through to their logical conclusion, so they need to be challenged, so they can and think about responses to the challenge and improve their thought.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

escapegoat posted:

I'd have been happy with uni flatmates that just ate the food that belonged to them. Any kind of snack food left in the fridge was liable to be opened, eaten in it's entirety, and the empty packet left for you to find, the cunts.

Edit: This happened 156 times until I got a mini fridge for Christmas.

bourg detected :thermidor:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did schooling change in the past 15 years or so because when I went there wasn't anything I would have called "left wing" about it, the only politics we touched on was some poo poo tier lib/nationalist idea of world war 1/2.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Did schooling change in the past 15 years or so because when I went there wasn't anything I would have called "left wing" about it, the only politics we touched on was some poo poo tier lib/nationalist idea of world war 1/2.

I think it's more about kids having better reason to hate their parents

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The big elephant in the room is that the education system isn't even particularly left wing, but thinking about things for longer than ten loving seconds tends to lead people left because right wing ideas are mostly absurd and fall apart with the tiniest scrutiny. 'Banning left wing material' will not change that, unless it's actually code for 'introducing a load of right wing propaganda', which it definitely is.

I can certainly imagine my old history teacher having a lot of fun with this new rule by taking an openly sarcastic tone with any new material.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember our history teacher using a selection of Australian tabloids telling poo poo lies about British people as a primer to Australian tabloids telling poo poo lies about Aboriginal people as a primer to British tabloids telling poo poo lies about BAME people.

That was part of source analysis, sources are always biased, look for bias, but I imagine to these people telling kids that the Sun is a bit racist and lies sometimes is super woke left indoctrination, won't you think of the White Brexit Boys?

The only explicitly political conversation I remember having in the mid 90s with teachers was not liking Tony Blair because he looked a bit like a serial killer, and being told that was not a good reason not to like him.

I'm glad that I was pulled up on that, because my thoughts are now clearer. I don't like Tony Blair because he is a serial killer.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Mass murderer, actually

Or...serial mass murderer?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Works for me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

The big elephant in the room is that the education system isn't even particularly left wing, but thinking about things for longer than ten loving seconds tends to lead people left because right wing ideas are mostly absurd and fall apart with the tiniest scrutiny. 'Banning left wing material' will not change that, unless it's actually code for 'introducing a load of right wing propaganda', which it definitely is.

The propaganda will kind of fall apart if there's no jobs and no houses but everyone in their 60s is comfortable and right wing and because the internet exists, but ageing Tories don't twig that people have circles and learning beyond what they get told in school.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/NickTorfaen/status/1311051177484791812?s=20

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
What does right wing maths look like?

If henry has 5 apples and boris has 500,000 what's the best way for boris to steal the other 5 apples and blame joe for being a dirty poor?

Boris has 3 mistresses and 7 illegitimate children, approximately how many times did he cheat on his wife? round up to the nearest 10.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Answers Me posted:

I'm still super impressed with how she got away with this poo poo: watch the video if you haven't because it's straight up Nazi rhetoric, dehumanising a minority group that's already demonised. The fact she did it on a Zoom call to the Board of Deputies is the lovely cherry on the top of the lovely sundae.

Genuinely one of the nastiest people in office in my lifetime, right up there with absolute ghouls like Jack Straw & David Blunkett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The propaganda will kind of fall apart if there's no jobs and no houses but everyone in their 60s is comfortable and right wing

You mean....the world right now?