Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WhatEvil posted:

I've maybe told this story before but I was friends with a guy at uni who used to make what he would call "meat bread". A full loaf of bread, top cut off and hollowed out, filled with miscellaneous meats - sausages and bacon mostly I think, then put in the oven for something like an hour.

I mean, fine I guess, but can't have been very interesting, and terrible for you.

Might try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Do yourself a favour and at least put some onion in too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chris bryant has nominated biden for the nobel peace prize for some reason

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

chris bryant has nominated biden for the nobel peace prize for some reason

a) because that Norwegian MP nominated Trump for it
b) It's Chris Bryant, he thinks starting wars and drone strikes are working towards peace.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I was scrolling down and I could have sworn this was my primary school headmaster

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of Iceland being loving amazing:

Camrath, Baileys fudge when? You could call it 'the Irish border solution.'

I don't think it's right appropriating these from the French tbh

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A little late to the discussion but a gentle reminder that the marine ecological cascade, desertification, fires, ecocide, peak fertiliser, climate change, etc, mean that the carrying capacity of the planet is dwindling, and that even at a lower quartile of global consumption we won't be able to sustain numbers.

we are already well within the fastest extinction event in history (we're more destructive than a meteor)

eating the rich/addressing consumption is the best mitigation for now, but unless we are able to completely change our entire food habits, agricultural systems and end fishing within a decade and also rewild about half the planet then yeah we have a problem.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Student cooking chat: Absolutely baffled me the number of people at College who's entire culinary skills were 'put something frozen under the grill for a while', but then again I'd been learning how to cook since I was about 14, as it was either that or be hungry til 8pm when my parents got back from work and couldn't be arsed making food until after sitting down for an hour with a cuppa etc. Bologneses/Stir fry's are the world's easiest poo poo to do, if I could be bothered doing better than 'put something frozen under the grill for a while.'

Mate made me laugh when he'd shifted from student digs into a house, had food but no oil for the pan. Frozen chicken burgers do not do well using only water instead of oil it would seem. Saying that I went round the place later in the year and he looked like poo poo, mainly because he'd been eating nothing but an industrial size pack of wafer thin ham & a bag of crappy frozen veg every single meal for 10 days, while waiting on some money coming through. We went & got fish & chips.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of Iceland being loving amazing:

Camrath, Baileys fudge when? You could call it 'the Irish border solution.'

Okay, yeah, that’s both a good name and concept. It will happen :)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I lived with a guy who tried to cooked rice in a pan with no water

The smell lingered, the pan a lost cause, the housemate? Well he did the same with peas the next week

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tarnop posted:

If you know you've been Miltoned, then you know there's only one logical next step
Not too expensive either.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
To be fair my cooking ability hasn't advanced much from my late teens, most of my cooking involves some vegetables with some meat and some soy sauce and serving over rice

i have got much better with omelettes but that was from accidentally putting the egg mix in when the oil wasn't quite hot enough and then realising that gives a better overall cook and makes it dead easy to flip

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Student cooking fiascos not including my own:

- Guy who spent his entire first year cooking nothing but a rustlers burger every day, only variety he got was from the kebab shop

- Inexplicably skinny guy who just grated cheddar and melted it with pasta 90% of the time. Had the worst farts imaginable. I foolishly as it turned out went on a date to pizza express once and he mocked me as this was 'fine dining'.

- Singaporean guy who found the entire concept of egg cups so funny he was near enough rolling around on the floor when I made a soft boiled egg. He also used to make otherwise ok looking noodle heavy meals but would just chop up tesco value ham and toss it in?

- Lady I'm somehow still in a relationship with a decade later coming into the kitchen while I'm cooking, after I've just emptied a jar of pasta sauce into a pan, complaining that I'm 'wasting' the remaining dregs left in the jar, and proceeding to fill it with tap water, shake it up, and pour the whole thing in completely off her own back.

- Impossibly glamourous French woman who had never had porridge, got right into it and was eating 3+ bowls a day, nearly had a heart attack when she discovered the calorie content.

- Guy who had never cooked before in his life who just tossed a whole potato in the oven with zero prep and caused a minor explosion. Somehow became the best chef in the house within a few months.

I guess it's kind of cooking???:

- Mystery pooper who pranked his entire corridor by making GBS threads on a baking tray, throwing it in the oven, then vanishing. I wasn't there but apparently a bunch of them came home after the pub to find the aromas of a very burnt turd wafting around the whole floor.

- some tory maniac bit the head off a live pigeon for some reason but honestly at this point that just seems par for the course

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Tomato pasta, "Quesadillas", Stir fry and Noodle soup were pretty much my cooking knowledge at Uni. I was really uncertain about cooking rice so I just avoided doing it as much as possible, and the oven was filthy with thick black grease from the previous tenants (that we had to clean out to get the deposit returned, the cheeky bastards) so every meal was done on the hob. It went pretty well, considering.

Major food gently caress ups I can remember was burning spaghetti while I was busy chatting and making a prawn thai red curry from a jar. I forgot coconut milk so I thought I'd try sweetening regular milk with sugar- except I also forgot to do that before adding the milk so I sprinkled sugar on top.

Wouldn't recommend.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I learned the hard way that semi-skimmed milk is not a viable substitute for cream in the vast majority of cooking situations

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

- Lady I'm somehow still in a relationship with a decade later coming into the kitchen while I'm cooking, after I've just emptied a jar of pasta sauce into a pan, complaining that I'm 'wasting' the remaining dregs left in the jar, and proceeding to fill it with tap water, shake it up, and pour the whole thing in completely off her own back.
Sounds like you both made good decisions. Always do this with pasta sauce.

Don't do it with squeezy bottles of ketchup.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ThomasPaine posted:

- Singaporean guy who found the entire concept of egg cups so funny he was near enough rolling around on the floor when I made a soft boiled egg. He also used to make otherwise ok looking noodle heavy meals but would just chop up tesco value ham and toss it in?

My fiance's family is from Hong Kong and this is very much a thing. You can actually make some really tasty (but I guess bad for you) meals with noodles and just random bits of meat. We used to make loving amazing udon noodle + spam + egg meals when we were at uni that cost like, sub £1 per meal.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bad food/diet chat: don't eat too much licorice
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09/rare-case-of-black-licorice-poisoning-kills-man-in-massachusetts/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like you both made good decisions. Always do this with pasta sauce.

Don't do it with squeezy bottles of ketchup.

I wasn't trying to make soup!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Student cooking fiascos not including my own:

- Mystery pooper who pranked his entire corridor by making GBS threads on a baking tray, throwing it in the oven, then vanishing. I wasn't there but apparently a bunch of them came home after the pub to find the aromas of a very burnt turd wafting around the whole floor.

Yeesh. There's also the guy in a house share who was a Russian student (I wasn't by then) who would spend 1.5hrs every night, starting just as I got home, using every available pan & source of heat in the kitchen making 3 chicken kievs, 2 pans full of some cabbage concoction that smelt like old farts and microwaving a baked potato forever, then slobbering his way through it like it's chowtime at the trough in the tiny living room. Which of course the kitchen was also part of. loving did my head in. One of the girls I'm still mates with now from college put two eggs on to boil & went out, totally forgetting about them (no idea how you do that, I knew someone who did that with a running bath & managed to destroy the bathroom floor/living room ceiling). No harm came of it as a housemate came in & shut it off before it could burn the place down but 6 months later you could still smell this disgusting weird tortured metal/eggshell smell in the kitchen.

Probably best I learned to cook when I did too, as much as I love my Mum, her specialty was spaghetti bolognese, and by that I mean mince & onions fried to a crisp with a tin of chopped tomatoes/baked beans chucked in, possibly some bell peppers with barely drained spaghetti. For some reason she likes her steak well done too, and like a noob up till the age of about 25 I thought that's how it should come. Took an ex in a restaurant turning round and saying to the waiter 'like gently caress he's having it well done, 2 mediums please' and my tastebuds thank her to this day. Been to London restaurants the last few years with my Mum & told her to get something else instead of steak as they're either going to laugh at us or refuse to do it well done.

My girlfriends family are Portuguese, so I've picked up a load of how to do that the last 3 years too, it's simple stuff & mad tasty, as long as you've got time to prep the day before.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since we're on the topic of food, I have a tin of "mackeral fillets in a rich tomato sauce" and "sardines in a rich tomato sauce" (all skinless and boneless)

What kind of meal might these ingredients be a part of? The tins themselves don't give suggestions

Pilchards like that are good on toast topped with cheese, but can't speak to those fish.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

On toast, mixed with couscous and hot water, mixed with microwave rice would be my go tos.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1310914723034968064

I have some very complex feelings about this that are likely to end up in therapy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sloth Life posted:

On toast, mixed with couscous and hot water, mixed with microwave rice would be my go tos.

I'm choosing to read those commas as "and" rather than "or", and imagining a very carby, hard to eat dish

vv Yep, and then reduce it that is, add electrons

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

I wasn't trying to make soup!

You don't fill the jar up, just a bit of water and shake it around then pour it in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1310914723034968064

I have some very complex feelings about this that are likely to end up in therapy.

dual roles can be challenging but Anderson's such a good actor I'm sure she'll pull it off. probably not too many scenes with both characters on screen together

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You don't fill the jar up, just a bit of water and shake it around then pour it in.

Ok but this is not what happened!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Toast has been mentioned but I'd like to add that it can result in really good toast definitely try that don't sleep on it.

But also try pasta of choice with your usuals + red pepper flakes, I feel like Sardines go well with spice but I don't know why that would be I'm not Lloyd Grossman. Maybe they are in fact bad and wrong together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jon_Christian/status/1310213885874638851

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sloth Life posted:

I thought this was all one recipe for a good minute or so and was trying to figure out the logistics. Definitely will try the toast option tomorrow, thanks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Poll chat

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1311005770251632642?s=20

RonPaulIt'sGoingToHappen.gif

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It's best to just open the tin up, pour some hot sauce on it and eat it whilst standing in your kitchen staring into the distance.

Alternatively you can add them to pasta with a fried slice tomato and a bit of lemon, or on a salad, maybe a jacket potato. I mostly eat them whilst camping, tasty but can get a bit messy carrying the empty tins about.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm the 3% of Tories who vote for independence

Or the 6% of SNP voters who are against it

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Weirdly everyone I lived with at uni was okay at cooking from what I remember. From our first week in halls we made a rule that once a week one person would cook for the whole flat and we ended up staying together in digs. Even did a roast for Christmas and everything.

Only guy not included was the bloke from Accrington who lived off horrifying kebabs and disappeared after the Christmas holidays.

I did have a flatmate after uni who would eat frozen sweetcorn as a snack.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
And if you do put too much water in just simmer it for a bit till it boils off?

E: should refresh before posting but this was a response to Thomas Paine

EE:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is me, also frozen peas. If I'm just cooking myself a frozen pie or something I generally don't even bother cooking the peas&swees, serve them frozen and they balance out the heat of the pie to make a perfect eating temperature straight away.

Why yes I did learn my cooking habits while fending for myself in my teens

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 29, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

I'm the 3% of Tories who vote for independence

Or the 6% of SNP voters who are against it

Those are the most funny numbers but I'm mostly into the 3rd of Labour votes (like me) who support independence now. Because elected Labour politicians are absolutely unequivocally fanatical about maintaining the union. Left, right, centre, doesn't matter, from Neil Findlay to Jackie Baillie they are all utterly obsessed with the Union, & yet a huge chunk of their voters aren't. Kind of interesting, not that I think Labour would take any notice because the party is so loving terrible at everything in Scotland.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

forkboy84 posted:

Those are the most funny numbers but I'm mostly into the 3rd of Labour votes (like me) who support independence now. Because elected Labour politicians are absolutely unequivocally fanatical about maintaining the union. Left, right, centre, doesn't matter, from Neil Findlay to Jackie Baillie they are all utterly obsessed with the Union, & yet a huge chunk of their voters aren't. Kind of interesting, not that I think Labour would take any notice because the party is so loving terrible at everything in Scotland.

What were the previous numbers? Has the election and the subsequent Starmer revolution increased the support?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Weirdly everyone I lived with at uni was okay at cooking from what I remember. From our first week in halls we made a rule that once a week one person would cook for the whole flat and we ended up staying together in digs. Even did a roast for Christmas and everything.

Only guy not included was the bloke from Accrington who lived off horrifying kebabs and disappeared after the Christmas holidays.

Oh god I lived in a house share 2nd year uni and two of the people in the house were "the couple" and decided that they were "mummy and daddy of the house" and tried to make us take it in turns to do a full sunday roast. Stuff that.
My boyfriend wasn't a student and did shift work. I wasn't spending Sundays when he wasn't working making a Sunday Roast. We went to the local pie, chips and kebab shop. I have zero interest in 'shared cooking' to this day. Leave me out of all that.
Until my parents got a dishwasher mid-late90s, if I went home for Xmas, I stayed right out of any food prep activities, but after Xmas dinner, I would barricade myself in the kitchen with a heap of heavy metal cassettes while the family (all my siblings and a handful of very young nephews and nieces) would fight and squabble in the lounge over what was on TV (dad always wanted the 5 hour opera of Tosca on BBC2, mum always wanted James Bond, the kids always wanted cartoons) etc. and placidly do all the washing up.
Once they got the dishwasher, I quit doing Xmas (have done more than 25 Xmasses now in solitary except for the 16/17 years I had my kitties.)

ED: When I was a teen, I would be first home from school and expected to get a meal for 6 ready every night with bugger all ingredients because the folks NEVER had anything in. Probably why I loathe and detest all food prep activities now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 29, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
All or most of the arguments that kept Scotland in the Union have weakened or disappeared so I can't see a new referendum being anything but a crushing yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal