Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sab669 posted:

ughhh Doug's RS6 review is up today. I need this thing in my life :( Looks so good in red...

It's the car that everyone on the jalopnik comment section wishes they had in the US and would totally buy it, and now is their chance to buy it. I bet they sell less than 100 in the US and don't bring it back for the 2022 MY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Looks worse than the current gen, just ugly and boring

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

It's the car that everyone on the jalopnik comment section wishes they had in the US and would totally buy it, and now is their chance to buy it. I bet they sell less than 100 in the US and don't bring it back for the 2022 MY.

If I had $130k for a new car I would buy it in a heartbeat, but alas...

Being relegated to used cars only means being at the mercy of lovely rich people's tastes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I clicked on some link and it said one hundred and ten thousand dollars, which, yay, thanks for bringing it over audi

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Yeaaa that's the problem with $130K cars lol.

I'm just salty there's literally not a single Fun Wagon at a reasonable price (< $45K) in this whole country.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sab669 posted:

I'm just salty there's literally not a single Fun Wagon at a reasonable price (< $45K) in this whole country.

Doesn't VW make something?

I was just ragging on "internet car commentators"

TheBacon posted:

If I had $130k for a new car I would buy it in a heartbeat, but alas...

I'd lease one, but I have zero interest in owning a S or RS trim Audi out of factory warranty.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

VW has the Golf R which is hardly any bigger than my Fiesta. They had the Golf Sport wagon but there was nothing sporty about it

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-volvo-v70r-20/ unless you mean new, then welp ya, there are basically no wagons period under that range. The only thing left are luxury models, though technically V60 starts at $42k

skipdogg posted:

Doesn't VW make something?

I was just ragging on "internet car commentators"

I'd lease one, but I have zero interest in owning a S or RS trim Audi out of factory warranty.

Jetta/Golf Sportwagen but that's been discontinued sadly :(

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
See that’s the thing. Most people who want a fun wagon want it because they need some space, want a fun car, but can’t have multiple cars. I mean that’s the whole idea of the sportwagon. Most people who can afford an RS6 probably have multiple vehicles, one of which is already a sports car. So yeah they won’t sell a ton of them.

Still, bringing the RS6 to the country probably gets jalopnik reading nerds into showrooms where they can be talked into a Q3 S-Line or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You'd think so yet there's plenty of people driving big performance SUVs that cost well into the "Could just have 2 cars instead" territory.

I don't really see how wagons are any different. They're just not a popular form factor in the States.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The RS6 is very cool but it's a terrible entry to try to prove if anyone wants hot wagons in the US when it starts at $110k, double the median household income. That's not going for the enthusiast market, that's going for the old rich gently caress market. Despite being a wagon it's not a practical car for a lot of reasons.

I'd kill for a <50k fun wagon that isn't going to bankrupt me in maintenance and upkeep, and that I won't feel awful from scuffing it when I (or my idiot friends) slip throwing outdoor gear in the back or skis on the roof. You know, basically a CUV that isn't a fat piggly piece of poo poo. At this point I'll even surrender the manual, but I'd certainly prefer it.

The Golf Alltrack was close, but is now dead, and leaking sunroofs made anything but the base model a non-starter. The A4 allroad is close but pricey and heavy on the CUV snooze, and the regular A4 Avant is dead. The 3-series wagon is pricey for being stuck with the small engine, and also now dead. Volvo V60/V90 are expensive moneypits worse than the Germans. And Subaru hasn't made an honest wagon (for the US) in over a decade.

As far as I can tell the most "fun" practical "wagon" on the US market under $40-50k is the Mazda CX-5 Turbo, which is very much not a wagon and not actually all that much fun. Give me the same guts in a Mazda 6 wagon and I'm there. Or a Subaru Levorg, despite its CVT.

VVV Or something like that Peugeot would work too, knowing nothing about French cars but on the surface it looks great

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 29, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Peugeot 508 seems pretty freaking cool although I’d prefer a normal petrol and manual but that’s a pretty lost battle. Pretty sure that at least is way closer to the ballpark of affordable than the RS6 or AMG

https://jalopnik.com/the-508-sport-engineered-is-the-most-powerful-road-car-1845171386

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So did you buy a Buick Regal sportwagon or what

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

The RS6 is very cool but it's a terrible entry to try to prove if anyone wants hot wagons in the US when it starts at $110k, double the median household income. That's not going for the enthusiast market, that's going for the old rich gently caress market. Despite being a wagon it's not a practical car for a lot of reasons.

I'd kill for a <50k fun wagon that isn't going to bankrupt me in maintenance and upkeep, and that I won't feel awful from scuffing it when I (or my idiot friends) slip throwing outdoor gear in the back or skis on the roof. You know, basically a CUV that isn't a fat piggly piece of poo poo. At this point I'll even surrender the manual, but I'd certainly prefer it.

The Golf Alltrack was close, but is now dead, and leaking sunroofs made anything but the base model a non-starter. The A4 allroad is close but pricey and heavy on the CUV snooze, and the regular A4 Avant is dead. The 3-series wagon is pricey for being stuck with the small engine, and also now dead. Volvo V60/V90 are expensive moneypits worse than the Germans. And Subaru hasn't made an honest wagon (for the US) in over a decade.

As far as I can tell the most "fun" practical "wagon" on the US market under $40-50k is the Mazda CX-5 Turbo, which is very much not a wagon and not actually all that much fun. Give me the same guts in a Mazda 6 wagon and I'm there. Or a Subaru Levorg, despite its CVT.

VVV Or something like that Peugeot would work too, knowing nothing about French cars but on the surface it looks great

If you're talking Mazdas why not the 3 hatch or Cx3 or Cx30. They're all available with awd + turbo. The 3 is even available with stick (FWD).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

If you're talking Mazdas why not the 3 hatch or Cx3 or Cx30. They're all available with awd + turbo. The 3 is even available with stick (FWD).

As a 3 owner, that’s a hell of a lot smaller than a wagon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the RS-6 is designed to take brand share from E63AMG owners, that's it. it's not designed for normal people.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Yeah gently caress off with the played out "manufacturer builds car you ask for and enthusiasts don't step up to buy it" lines.
I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but socioeconomics and I aren't on the same page.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

Yeah gently caress off with the played out "manufacturer builds car you ask for and enthusiasts don't step up to buy it" lines.
I'd buy this in a heartbeat, but social economics and I aren't on the same page.
Agreed 100%

:v:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Goddamn do I love wagons*. Very sad that my B6 Passat had to go to the great junkyard in the sky.

*The late 90s Taurus wagon my parents had for a while is the exception, what a piece of poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheBacon posted:

As a 3 owner, that’s a hell of a lot smaller than a wagon

Yeah they're making the hatch more and more useless each generation.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Anyone here know about the reliability of the old 6MT Cadillac CTS-V cars?

I've always loved those wagons.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i own every Bionicle posted:

See that’s the thing. Most people who want a fun wagon want it because they need some space, want a fun car, but can’t have multiple cars. I mean that’s the whole idea of the sportwagon. Most people who can afford an RS6 probably have multiple vehicles, one of which is already a sports car. So yeah they won’t sell a ton of them.

Yeah, this is what it came down for for us. My wife needed a new car and wanted a wagon. If I got drunk enough, I could even think about buying an RS6. As much as I love the idea of a fast wagon, at the end of the day it's just a commuter. There's no reason we need a wagon/sports car to be the same car.

Also, lol at maintaining an RS6 out of warranty.

We ended up with the regular E-class wagon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I tested a Focus RS and Golf Alltrack (new) at the beginning of the year, Regal TourX was next on my list but then Covid happened.

Also the Regal did have a sport trim but only for the sedan IIRC

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

captainOrbital posted:

Anyone here know about the reliability of the old 6MT Cadillac CTS-V cars?

I've always loved those wagons.

At least one goon had one, but the one I remember was an auto. Power train reliability was good but I think interior stuff like window switches, heater controls, sunroof, etc kept breaking and it was kind of a basket case.

Also, 6MT V wagons are hens teeth and will fetch at least 40k even with some miles on them. Check the prices:

https://bringatrailer.com/search/cts-v+wagon/

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 29, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

The Opel Insignia is a rather nice car. Not gonna blow anyone's socks off, but it's solid, comfortable and roomy. Honestly, I've been very impressed by the newer Opels I've driven, compared to the kinda drab boringmobiles they used to make.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Das Volk had one in manual that was probably the basket case you're thinking of - it was definitely a basket case. IIRC, ex-demo model or something like that.

I do remember he said that he had to hold the sunroof closed when accelerating hard :lol:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that the V60 T8 is a thing

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Krakkles posted:

Das Volk had one in manual that was probably the basket case you're thinking of - it was definitely a basket case. IIRC, ex-demo model or something like that.

I do remember he said that he had to hold the sunroof closed when accelerating hard :lol:

Ok, gotcha. There was another one in auto as well. The guy flew from I want to say NY to somewhere in the south to check it out. The dealer had told him it was a 6MT but when he got there it was an auto. That was not a deal breaker for him but I just remember thinking how pissed I would have been.

The sunroof shade on my Legacy GT wagon opens after a good pull in first too :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

And it's gorgeous.

And ...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

you could not make me go near that thing out of warranty

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

And it's gorgeous.

And ...

Look at it this way, it's less than half of the RS6

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Can you actually go drive a V60 now? Or do you still have to do that silly poo poo where its order only?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

Can you actually go drive a V60 now? Or do you still have to do that silly poo poo where its order only?

i think you're thinking about the v90?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The wagon love crew needs their own gang tag so they can be easily identified.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is my molten orange FiST not obvious enough? ;)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Look at it this way, it's less than half of the RS6
Fair point, but I'll definitely never be able to afford either.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you could not make me go near that thing out of warranty

Ya the Geely era cars definitely have me question the drivetrains even more than the prior stuff, but at the very least they have still been making stunners of cars.

I have a friend that just got a v60 and it's gorgeous, though no idea if he really plans on keeping it past warranty or not.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Are Volvos known to be unreliable now? I know they used to be tanks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are Volvos known to be unreliable now? I know they used to be tanks.
I wouldn't touch a Volvo from the last 20 years.

Which is sad, because for whatever reason, I really like them otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

For what it's worth, my ex has a loaded three year old XC60, and, aside from the garbage tires it came with, it has been a great car. They are killing it on styling right now too.