Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol an R32: for when a 20 year old BMW isn't reliable enough, you need a 20 year old volkswagen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol an R32: for when a 20 year old BMW isn't reliable enough, you need a 20 year old volkswagen

Other competitors are like e46 or e90 M3s! I also own a 1983 motorcycle I originally bought with the intent to be my primary mode of transportation years ago. I am a glutton for punishment.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The good thing about enthusiast cars is everything is heavily documented on the internet and Youtube, so you can pretty much figure out how to fix any issue yourself.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What's wrong with having an E39 as a weekend car if you want something sedan or wagon sized?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I'm going to buy a 20+ year old car, having owned a 20 year old bmw from the late 90s, my next 20 year old car is going to be some carborated clap trap with manual roll down windows. VW beetle classic or 60s mustang or whatever

The failure mode for my 20 year old e39 bmw was that the insulation on the wiring loom in the doors and trunk hinge started flaking off during cold snaps in the dead of winter and would slowly short out and drain the battery, also the heater relay and a couple other bullshit things started failing all at once. Electrical insulation 96-04 on the e39 has always been problematic

At least with a carborated engine, you can keep driving it even after an EMP blast, and everything is mechanical so you can diagnose it with your eyes, no voltmeter needed

Could I have torn apart the doors and trunk liner, then patched in new wire after finding the problems with a voltmeter over the course of a week? Sure, but I paid less than $4000 for the car when I got it, and had gotten 40,000 miles out of it paying $25/mo on liability only insurance, all on the tires and windshield wipers it came with and a single oil change. Time to go drive the wheels off something else. Interior still looked brand new when the wrecker drove off with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

elbkaida posted:

What's wrong with having an E39 as a weekend car if you want something sedan or wagon sized?

i mean, nothing, but the whole point imo of like a E39 525i is that it's reasonably comfortable, fairly good to drive, and practical. all of the things that make it good are very practical and suited for a daily driver other than reliability of a 20 year old car. a base E39 is not very exciting to drive, and most people are looking for something a little more exciting to drive in a weekend car, which is why you should buy an E39 M5 imo. all of the practicality plus some fun plus even more cost!!!

TheBacon posted:

Other competitors are like e46 or e90 M3s! I also own a 1983 motorcycle I originally bought with the intent to be my primary mode of transportation years ago. I am a glutton for punishment.

the other problem with the R32 is that it isnt very good other than the noises

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to split the middle between a base e39 and an M5e39 in both price and performance, and get a car that's only 10 years old, the 2010 F10 535i is about $12-16k and a hair over 300hp to the M5e39's 400hp, the 2013 got the LCI which makes it look a lot newer but costs more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't think a F10 is necessarily going to be more reliable or economical to maintain than an E39

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

elbkaida posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean, nothing, but the whole point imo of like a E39 525i is that it's reasonably comfortable, fairly good to drive, and practical. all of the things that make it good are very practical and suited for a daily driver other than reliability of a 20 year old car. a base E39 is not very exciting to drive, and most people are looking for something a little more exciting to drive in a weekend car, which is why you should buy an E39 M5 imo. all of the practicality plus some fun plus even more cost!!!

Not empty quoting.

I guess it depends on whether your "weekend car" needs to carry mulch from the hardware store.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think a F10 is necessarily going to be more reliable or economical to maintain than an E39

It’s a shame the F10 never got the new B engines because I really like the design. An F10 touring would make a fantastic road trip car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s a shame the XXX never got the new x engines. A touring would make a fantastic car.

Fixed

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

We never got F10 wagons in the US right because we suck and only like to drive crossovers?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sadly, yes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

That gray actually does some work there.

I kind of like it. There I said it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mods???

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Imagine how much better it would look with the grill from the 8 series

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hell yeah my guy, I too fear curb rash and will park like a jackass in solidarity

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I just curb the poo poo out of my wheels so that everyone knows not only am I an rear end-hole w/ a German car but, I'm a dumbass to boot.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
1. that street is huge
2. any closer to the curb and then the sprinklers get you

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Can you not see over the dash?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This is why they invented 360 view cameras.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Please check your 5er privilege; we don't even get HUDs!

e: or auto-fold mirrors :nono:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
if you can't parallel park you're not allowed to drive 105mph

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

if you can't parallel park you're not allowed to drive 105mph

Especially if you have a short wheelbase car like a carrera

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I think y'all are thinking of the other, glove-wearing M2C owner in here

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is why they invented 360 view cameras.

I curbed the poo poo out of the passenger front wheel on my wife’s 535i the week we got it because I was trying to use the 360 camera as guidance and the curb was in a shadow. If I had just parked normally it would have been fine.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Crunchy Black posted:

The folding mirrors on the M2c are a friggin JOKE. They probably buy a total of what, 1.5" total vehicle width? When folded in?

The first time I hit the button I assumed they had gotten jammed halfway into the folding.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

rscott posted:

Red leather seats are the best seats
(I am not saying this because I have the same seats in my E82)
Really wanted the fox red interior and white exterior. What did I get? Black interior, grey exterior. Because that is what like 80% of cars seem specced with.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

gvibes posted:

Really wanted the fox red interior and white exterior. What did I get? Black interior, grey exterior. Because that is what like 80% of cars seem specced with.

I have to admit I rather like having a white car. It’s surprisingly easy to keep looking clean and swirls/scratches are basically invisible unless the sun is positioned just right.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Is the 3 series even considered a luxury car by today's standards? What you're describing sounds like a mid level trim corolla

Didn't the 3 series get HUD a couple years back? Or are you talking about the 1 series

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Calipers are going back on the M3. Finally. Stupid car has only been sitting since February. Now I'm just waiting for Besian Systems parts to come in to overhaul the VANOS.

e: parts are here. Now I just need FCP Euro to come through.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hadlock posted:

Is the 3 series even considered a luxury car by today's standards? What you're describing sounds like a mid level trim corolla

Didn't the 3 series get HUD a couple years back? Or are you talking about the 1 series

The interior trim & overall amenities of the M2c are (intentionally) lovely to make it a DrIvEr'S cAr, as if "fast" and "luxury" are mutually exclusive

My Subaru Outback has a superior cabin

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hadlock posted:

I had a friend who used to work in insurance tell me that BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover were no longer considered prestige vehicles with the exception of the very top of the range (I.e. 7 Series, A8, S Class etc).

Apparently a lot of people got really upset when they found out they were not entitled to a luxury courtesy car despite having what they perceived as a luxury brand.

Honestly the 116d must be a money printer for BMW.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
cmon, how has no one posted that Bape's beautiful M3 made it on Speedhunters?

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/10/rising-from-the-crashes-the-phoenix-m3

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I came. Its gorgeous
I also want to see how the spare wheel well was removed and the concrete interior pieces

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I came. Its gorgeous
I also want to see how the spare wheel well was removed and the concrete interior pieces

Isn't it this?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The 2 was intentionally gimped, ESPECIALLY in the states to push sales upmarket. Also,

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The interior trim & overall amenities of the M2c are (intentionally) lovely to make it a DrIvEr'S cAr, as if "fast" and "luxury" are mutually exclusive

My Subaru Outback has a superior cabin

The "Recaros" are intentionally way too hard lol. If I ever have to take another 4 hour trip in that thing I'll just rent a car or tow it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had a friend who used to work in insurance tell me that BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover were no longer considered prestige vehicles with the exception of the very top of the range (I.e. 7 Series, A8, S Class etc).

Apparently a lot of people got really upset when they found out they were not entitled to a luxury courtesy car despite having what they perceived as a luxury brand.

Honestly the 116d must be a money printer for BMW.

We are pretty happy with our 5 for doing car trips up to the in-laws about 90 minutes away, feels a poo poo ton doing a 4 hour road trip in it, vs the Z4 where my shoulders would brush against the window if I turned in my seat too fast. I'm sure I'd get that with anything even a smidge larger than a ford Taurus though.

The only "luxury" item that I feel like I can really waive around that nobody else has, is the manual, pull-up sun shade in the back seats, and the power sunshade on the rear windshield, but I guess that's available on the 3 series as well

I don't think I'll ever go back to a no-HUD car though, especially with it integrated with the nav

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah pull up sunshades are nice. I have those on my Optima. Already pretty dark tint in one the back windows, so usually don't need it, but it's nice for when the sun is baking it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

cmon, how has no one posted that Bape's beautiful M3 made it on Speedhunters?

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/10/rising-from-the-crashes-the-phoenix-m3

I follow speedhunters on IG and saw it, badass. Although Bape's got a bit of a Tobias Funke flair to his IG handle... @analrightguy