Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ryuga Death posted:

This Monster Hunter Stories demo is pretty long. It's been simple but kind of fun so far. Anyone have any thoughts about the full game?

I enjoyed it a lot as a monster collector game. It eventually gets a bit more tactical as you unlock a bunch of extra systems to customize your monsters and they get new attacks, but ultimately its going to be pretty similar to what you've seen the whole way through.

I have high hopes for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ryuga Death posted:

This Monster Hunter Stories demo is pretty long. It's been simple but kind of fun so far. Anyone have any thoughts about the full game?

I loved it start to finish! I'm so pumped that it's getting a sequel. Heck, bring the first one to Switch too so I can play it again!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so I have a new 3ds (small one) and just decided to grab a refurbished 3ds XL red from nintendo. I figure this way I have a solid back up console, and more importantly, I can mod that one. Even with a mac it looks pretty easy to hack it to get GBA games on there, and I want that to be my all digital portable system. Question is, how easy is it to um, find the GBA roms? I have all the games in storage, so no piracy talk here, just curious.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

LionArcher posted:

so I have a new 3ds (small one) and just decided to grab a refurbished 3ds XL red from nintendo. I figure this way I have a solid back up console, and more importantly, I can mod that one. Even with a mac it looks pretty easy to hack it to get GBA games on there, and I want that to be my all digital portable system. Question is, how easy is it to um, find the GBA roms? I have all the games in storage, so no piracy talk here, just curious.

Incredibly easy. Finding the GBA BIOS will be a little more difficult but it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes with google.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What do you need a gba bios for? It should just run everything through AGB_firm.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Incredibly easy. Finding the GBA BIOS will be a little more difficult but it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes with google.

Okay, my question is is there an application that does this on a mac? Because from what I see the best tool is one that says window's only?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you poke around you should be able to find them preformatted.

It looks like WINE is your only hope to do it yourself.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 29, 2020

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You can use regular GBA ROMs directly with open_agb_firm without having to inject .cias. I wrote a summary of it in the homebrew thread.

Also you should homebrew all your 3DSes, don't hold back.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can use regular GBA ROMs directly with open_agb_firm without having to inject .cias. I wrote a summary of it in the homebrew thread.

And piggybacking off this, twilight menu ++ also includes (or can use) gbarunner2, so if you wanted to use ds roms instead of gluing a cartridge case to the back of your 3ds, that's another one-stop sort of solution. It's not as tidy as the cia injections, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh, hell yeah. This will be a lot easier than installing cias one by one.

Seconding that you should all homebrew your 3DSes. It makes it so so much better.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

I should just grab a New 2DS now while they still exist. Just as a spare console for down the road.

I got a little paranoid and bought a couple extra chargers and a spare battery. I guess I'm a 3ds prepper

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Good things to have for the upcoming apocalypse.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I got a little paranoid and bought a couple extra chargers and a spare battery. I guess I'm a 3ds prepper
Where would one get a spare battery, and is it easy to swap out?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Is there any reliable place to still buy a new New 2DS XL?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo refurbs are essentially new

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Where would one get a spare battery, and is it easy to swap out?

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

Have to admit, I'm thinking of picking up a spare battery, charger, and system now. Ha.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

hatty posted:

Nintendo refurbs are essentially new

I'm not too familiar with Nintendo's refurbished products, but I was looking to retire my 2012 XL while I still had a chance. "Essentially new" in the sense that the box got destroyed, or "essentially new" in the sense that it got dropped down some stairs, repaired, and "I'll never know the difference?"

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Silver Snail posted:

I'm not too familiar with Nintendo's refurbished products, but I was looking to retire my 2012 XL while I still had a chance. "Essentially new" in the sense that the box got destroyed, or "essentially new" in the sense that it got dropped down some stairs, repaired, and "I'll never know the difference?"

When I got my N3DS XL last year from Nintendo Refurbed, it was like getting a brand new system except it came in a plain box that said the item was refurbished. Really hard to tell it wasn't just a brand new system that just lost its original box.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

When I got my N3DS XL last year from Nintendo Refurbed, it was like getting a brand new system except it came in a plain box that said the item was refurbished. Really hard to tell it wasn't just a brand new system that just lost its original box.

:same:

I got both a refurb 3ds and a refurb switch and, other than maybe a small scratch on the outer casing of the switch, and that might have been me, besides the box it would be 100% impossible to tell they weren't new. Nintendo also gives the same warranty they do on new products which is just unheard of. I would trust Nintendo refurbs 100%.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Alright you've convinced me. Thanks for the help everyone.
My 2012 model is still actually surprisingly functional, Nintendo did make a good product, but the screen has a slight flicker to it, and I had to replace the thumbstick with a cooler metal one a while back. The 3DS was really good, I'm just thinking about it, what a good console.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never held or used thew New 2DS XL. Is it any better or worse than the New 3DS XL besides the obvious missing 3D? The nintendo refurb has the new 2ds xl for 20 dollars cheaper than the n3ds xl.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I've never held or used thew New 2DS XL. Is it any better or worse than the New 3DS XL besides the obvious missing 3D? The nintendo refurb has the new 2ds xl for 20 dollars cheaper than the n3ds xl.

It feels a lot lighter, and some would say, cheaper, than the N3DS. I think it’s worth the extra unless you absolutely won’t ever use 3D.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like mine a lot. The outer casing looks like some kind of Playmobil cast but it's perfectly fine otherwise. I have the black and teal one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've also heard that the speakers aren't as good. I'm not sure if it's because they're not actually as good, or because they're placed in a spot easily blocked by your hands, or both those things.

I'd say spend the extra :20bux: for the N3DSXL.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The 3d is pretty sweet on the n3ds since they fixed the massive, massive headaches of the original. I find myself using the 3d effect on gb(c) games all the time too. It would be nice if the n3ds has the faceplate options of the n2ds but you can't win them all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Some Goon posted:

The 3d is pretty sweet on the n3ds since they fixed the massive, massive headaches of the original. I find myself using the 3d effect on gb(c) games all the time too. It would be nice if the n3ds has the faceplate options of the n2ds but you can't win them all.

The regular new3DS model, not the XL, has interchangeable faceplates.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The regular new3DS model, not the XL, has interchangeable faceplates.

It was unfortunately sold for a very limited time in NA. I wish I would have grabbed one back then.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was unfortunately sold for a very limited time in NA. I wish I would have grabbed one back then.

I always wondered why these were basically impossible to find. I would have preferred one of those.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

I always wondered why these were basically impossible to find. I would have preferred one of those.

I think I remember Reggie saying something like they didn’t want too many SKUs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I think they fire saled the New 3DS in North America during Black Friday/Holiday season 2016, however you could purchase refurb units from Nintendo through 2017 at least. That's the first model 3DS I bought, picking up a refurb New 3DS XL some time later.

Between the two I prefer the build of the New 3DS. The face plates are cool (although I only have the set it came with) and it just feels well built for a plastic device. My issue with the New 3DS is that the DPI is just high enough on the displays that I was having trouble seeing it for long periods, and my hands were getting a bit cramped with the position of the D-pad, so I got the XL as a combination of backup machine and "maybe it will be a bit easier on the eyes/hands". And with a DPI closer to the original DS I do find the XL easier to use, but the way it's constructed with the giant creaky plastic back plate that slots over everything just isn't as satisfying.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Good call on the replacement batteries. I have three 2DS in the house so I grabbed a couple spare ones.

Also it's been discussed already but all of my 2DS are refurbs and they look brand new.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Heath posted:

You could buy new copies of SMT4A for 17.99 on amazon like two months ago.

The pandemic has really pushed a lot of demand on older video game stuff.

All of the ds dragon quest games go for $50+.

I sold my copy of pokemon White v2 for $100 earlier this year.

People want video games more than ever and the supply can't keep up. It's even higher if you have complete stuff (for ds) because then people are less worried you have a fake.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

20 dollars is not a lot so I'd definitely rather pick the 3D variant because replacing the battery at some point will be a simpler procedure and, obviously, if you like the 3D at all it's there, and the headtracking works really well.

That said I love my hacked New 2DS XL and don't miss the 3D a lot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So the Verb-Mo games sound and look good, but I'll be honest, I've been very confused by the naming convention in Europe. What are the titled, and if I wanted have all of the ones available which do I get? They're full games right, no DLC or pay-as-you-play? I'm thinking they'll be my gift to myself if I win the bet I made to myself that my school will close before November (it was a sad bet.)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If you mean Pushmo and the like, they're Pullblox (Pushmo), Fallblox (Crashmo) and Fullblox (Stretchmo).

Theres also Pullblox World on Wii U. Fullblox/Stretchmo is the only one with in-game purchasing, the others are full games.

I only ever played the first one but it was very good. Wrinkles your brain

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think I remember Reggie saying something like they didn’t want too many SKUs.

Moderately amused that the "customizable" models of their handhelds inevitably had the shortest runs bar none, between that and the micro

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ryuga Death posted:

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

Have to admit, I'm thinking of picking up a spare battery, charger, and system now. Ha.

I went ahead and grabbed a spare battery. Thanks!

Also is Yoshi's New Island worth getting for like $15-20? Also didn't you guys say there are no bootleg 3DS carts? Just making sure I'm not going to do something stupid by buying a cart on ebay (or buying it at all, if the game sucks).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's zero risk of getting a bootleg 3DS cart. I'm guessing that it getting cracked for CFW also killed any incentive for people to make them.

Yoshi's New Island is extremely mediocre. Get Wooly World instead.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xenomrph posted:

I went ahead and grabbed a spare battery. Thanks!

Also is Yoshi's New Island worth getting for like $15-20? Also didn't you guys say there are no bootleg 3DS carts? Just making sure I'm not going to do something stupid by buying a cart on ebay (or buying it at all, if the game sucks).

There's non-zero risk of getting a hosed 3DS cartridge but if it actually boots into the game described (and not a romhack of a DS game), then it's overwhelmingly legit - bootleg 3DS cartridges aren't impossible but they never got cheap enough to make for any major bootleg scene to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The batteries for my GBAsp and orig fat DS still work fine but it was one reason why I got the refurb 3dsxl instead of the 2dsxl, just in case.

Still lots of games on sale on the eshop. I picked up 3d sonic 2, recommended in this thread, and it’s nice 3D, they did a good job.