Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kestral posted:

I hear you, Gigolo, this year has broken me. I'm a lifelong CA resident and I love this state, but I can't take the fire anxiety anymore, I need to live in a place where my house and all my possessions aren't at constant risk of being randomly destroyed. Anyone know what the climate change forecast for New England is like? Seems reasonably safe if you don't buy something in a flood plain.

New England is in a huge drought right now also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Welcome to climate change, it sucks and I hate it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I used to think we would all be fleeing to canada, but they burn down regularly now too, what with the pine bark beetle and the hot weather and stuff.

There's not really anywhere to go that is going to be fine or better for sure. We gotta all stew in the mess our species has made and deal with the consequences until we either figure out how to sequester a vast amount of carbon, or witness the end of human civilization.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Complications posted:

baseless optimism?

Yeah. That's about it isn't it

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I used to think we would all be fleeing to canada, but they burn down regularly now too, what with the pine bark beetle and the hot weather and stuff.

There's not really anywhere to go that is going to be fine or better for sure. We gotta all stew in the mess our species has made and deal with the consequences until we either figure out how to sequester a vast amount of carbon, or witness the end of human civilization.

Yeah, Brown's thing of, "where ya gonna go, fool?" was spot on if a little cringey.

There are any number of places within California that are highly not at risk of burning outside of, "this is the end of our state," but they're either more expensive or in not real nice places to live. Even so, you then need to deal with the AQI issues when other places are burning.

But I've decided to take California's current outcomes over places that have Republican majorities/leadership (because lmao they're not gonna do poo poo, at least you might be able to primary the Dems), places with regular tornadoes/hurricanes, or places that also look to be having droughts (i.e. New England) because having not had major wildfires before means they are really not prepared to have one, even while the likelihood is increasing.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oregon and Washington are going to have to barricade the borders.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Isn't the Big One supposed to come soon and wipe out their coastal cities, leaving only their chuddy rural heartland which has even crazier and more militia-y right wingers than we do?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Isn't the Big One supposed to come soon and wipe out their coastal cities, leaving only their chuddy rural heartland which has even crazier and more militia-y right wingers than we do?

Only in the NorCal, which doesn't count. :smug:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

HelloSailorSign posted:

That's when we swoop in and build New Los Angeles and New San Francisco

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

marshmonkey posted:

Oh gently caress, Californian annexation I can get behind.

Could you imagine Newsom in a bespoke leather metal studded tunic? rawr.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

HelloSailorSign posted:

i can imagine him in a leash.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yes I can.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 29, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

HelloSailorSign posted:

People misread that report, the cataclysmic stuff is basically aimed at anything on the west of the Coast Range (which was described broadly as “West of I5”). Portland and Seattle would get the remnants of whatever disaster happened, but it’s not quite the same as something taking out everything west of the Cascades.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Small White Dragon posted:

Hypothetical -- if the state could not prohibit people from bringing in ICE vehicles, could they prohibit sales of gasoline for them?
California could probably sort of do that, in that they could make it more difficult for out of state residents to purchase fuel. California could require that your driver's license is in a registry (Some sort of policy that requires tracking of fuel usage, for purchase in-state), apply it to both in-state and out-of-state licenses. California could require that pumps have a card swipe system hooked up to such a registry, denying pump access to non-registered licenses (or for other reasons, like they're above a quota, or they haven't paid their over quota fees/taxes, or their license is suspended, I don't know). An out of state resident who isn't in system would be denied access to the pump.

Perhaps this system would allow a non-registered user one-time access by paying a flat fee of, I don't know, $20. They have to pay this each time unless they're registered. I imagine the state could mandate that the processing for that temporary access doesn't even need to be immediate.

Something like that maybe?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/LoriAnnBurd/status/1311038393480929280

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kestral posted:

I hear you, Gigolo, this year has broken me. I'm a lifelong CA resident and I love this state, but I can't take the fire anxiety anymore, I need to live in a place where my house and all my possessions aren't at constant risk of being randomly destroyed. Anyone know what the climate change forecast for New England is like? Seems reasonably safe if you don't buy something in a flood plain.

I don't mean to sound flippant but there's vast parts of California that aren't at direct risk of wildfires if you're looking to move away from that risk. You just wont be living in the woods.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

if we're building a new LA can we put the red car back? that would be super cool

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oregon and Washington won't be wiped out when the big one hits them... but their economies and infrastructure will be devastated, and the tsunami will kill more Americans than have ever died in a natural disaster in our entire history, unless you count diseases as natural disasters. We're talking devastation considerably worse than what Wilma did to Puerto Rico.

They are very belatedly starting to sort of deal with the risks; building codes have been updated for example, and the state advises people to be ready for two weeks without services after a 7.0+ quake (the last one, in 1700, was a ~9.0). But the point here is that if you want to live in a place that is actually ready for an earthquake, CA is vastly better off than OR and WA.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Seattle has the worst possible earthquake future

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
This 2015 piece from The New Yorker really lays out just how hosed the PNW would be in the event of a major earthquake (and subsequent tsunami): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Contains a truly inspired bit of historical detective work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Abolish prop 58 (2004).

That is all.

Edit: Actually, that's not all. Balanced budget acts have left states unable to deficit spend and after Arnold pushed one on California in 2004 only Vermont goes without one. We've reached the point in America where the federal government will only help a region that will join them in a war on the non-cishetwhite, so the state should be spending money it doesn't have right now so that it can reap the benefits of a revived economy earlier than anywhere else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 29, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I just got a text in Sacramento asking me to vote yes on Measure A, so just a reminder for anyone who has a "strong mayor" ballot measure in their area that you should definitely vote no. Consolidating power into a single executive so they can rule the city like their own petty kingdom is terrible and should be opposed.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its also being pitched by Steinburg as a benefit to BLM, saying that strong mayor would give him more control over police budgets. In meetings with BLM hes shown 0 interest in helping them out, and local BLM organizers are super against him.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
The strong mayor proposal got withdrawn in San Jose because it was sold as a package deal with an extension to the mayor’s term, and the mayor’s business faction overextended because he thought he’d gotten labor support to make it a fait accompli.

He thought this because the (now former) head of the South Bay Labor Council was an incredibly stupid motherfucker who tried to negotiate a backroom deal with the mayor (using a police union rep as a go-between) without consulting the five pro-labor city council members and sprung it on them the day before. Like, you loving dipshit, one of them is planning to run for mayor when the current term is up!

Yeah, he lost his position over that one.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I'm not personally against a strong mayor system, but it's clear that Measure A is a power grab by Darrell Steinberg. He's also putting in other good things in the measure to make it look better than it actually is.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
just build your house in the form of Dome. fire cannot breach a Dome, cannot understand them. the shape is profane to fire, but is comforting for us. from our fetal stage to our graves, Domes can protect us and enable us to thrive. trust in the Dome as it trusts in itself.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

FCKGW posted:

I don't mean to sound flippant but there's vast parts of California that aren't at direct risk of wildfires if you're looking to move away from that risk. You just wont be living in the woods.

Just baking to death in 115 degree summers, while choking on smoke. Not a super appealing combination.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Well then California Goon Project: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...source=txtshare

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So what you've taken from this year is "we should go move into the forest"?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

just build your house in the form of Dome. fire cannot breach a Dome, cannot understand them. the shape is profane to fire, but is comforting for us. from our fetal stage to our graves, Domes can protect us and enable us to thrive. trust in the Dome as it trusts in itself.
Wouldn't one of those eco friendly dirt covered dome things actually be kinda fire resistant? You'd still have to evacuate, but you would have something to come back to.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So what you've taken from this year is "we should go move into the forest"?

Admiral Ray posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kestral posted:

Just baking to death in 115 degree summers, while choking on smoke. Not a super appealing combination.

It's a big state bud

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Ray posted:

They aren't fighting over no Split-Level Ranch of the Rock in the Middle East. Think about it...

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

FCKGW posted:

Of course, a lot of these regions are just at risk of other natural disasters that'll randomly destroy your house and all of your possessions, though at least they're a little less common than these wildfires.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Whoops we drained all the aquifers! Remember to vote!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1311186214075027457?s=20

edit didnt catch what was changed

fits my needs fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 30, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Looks like it got removed. Got a screencap?

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

I know it's not the most pressing thing on the ballot, but can somebody explain what the deal is with prop 23 (dialysis clinic requirements initiative)? On the one hand I see for-profit clinics versus unions. I also can logically see why it would affect access to these services, since I'm in Humboldt where you don't get to see an MD unless you're dying (maybe). ignore this I scrolled back 20 pages and found the answer. shout out to all my neighbors who are on fire.

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 30, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitsuo posted:

The strong mayor proposal got withdrawn in San Jose because it was sold as a package deal with an extension to the mayor’s term, and the mayor’s business faction overextended because he thought he’d gotten labor support to make it a fait accompli.

He thought this because the (now former) head of the South Bay Labor Council was an incredibly stupid motherfucker who tried to negotiate a backroom deal with the mayor (using a police union rep as a go-between) without consulting the five pro-labor city council members and sprung it on them the day before. Like, you loving dipshit, one of them is planning to run for mayor when the current term is up!

Yeah, he lost his position over that one.

Liccardo is a dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a general round up of what the thread consensus is on this years props without having to scroll back 20 pages? I've already done my research and roughly know how I'm voting, but I wanted to know what my fellow Californians were thinking.