Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When I'm gonna add corn to a ramen I sip on the canned corn water while the regular water heats up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Do you pour the ramen into the can to eat it?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You should see what he does with those little Kool-Ade packets.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

MariusLecter posted:

When I'm gonna add corn to a ramen I sip on the canned corn water while the regular water heats up.

Sweetcorn water is good. gently caress the haters

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
When I worked at Domino's, to refill the pineapple container we would drain off the juice in the can so the prep container wouldn't be full of juice cause that's nasty. I'd drain it into a cup because that was some super tasty juice.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Poured vodka in it too right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Did someone say pork shoulder ? Get yourself a clay pot. Mine has a heavy lid, so it acts like a pressure cooker, but the glazed ceramic is at oven temperature less than an inch from the meat so it browns in the pot.

That was a carrots and onions run. It also works beautifully with a couple cans of (drained) black beans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Using the can water doesn't seem weird? Like the veggies have been soaking in it you want whatever possible flavour you can extract from your can of sad veg and you need to add water anyway for it to cook, so just use the can water and reduce it as needed? Like if you have too much water just make it hot with the lid off and water go away.

The weird thing for me is adding salt cos I imagine they're probably pretty salty to begin with. Or like, add an oxo cube or something instead at least god drat.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Sep 30, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ACSABC

(all cops’ spouses are bad cooks)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OwlFancier posted:

Using the can water doesn't seem weird? Like the veggies have been soaking in it you want whatever possible flavour you can extract from your can of sad veg and you need to add water anyway for it to cook, so just use the can water and reduce it as needed? Like if you have too much water just make it hot with the lid off and water go away.

The weird thing for me is adding salt cos I imagine they're probably pretty salty to begin with. Or like, add an oxo cube or something instead at least god drat.

Nah (at least in the UK) tinned veg used to be super salty when I was a kid, that's why I liked them because my mum doesn't believe in seasonings, but they're all reduced/no salt and super bland now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

A small amount I'd get, the combined liquid amount for that amount of veg/protein seems super excessive though, especially with no thickener, maybe the potato starch helps?

I dunno, because I'm not a horrible person who would cook something like that.

Please ignore the fact that I'm eating a can of beets with a fork, tia.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
At least it wasn't whole cans of dollar store vienna sausages.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fools Infinite posted:

At least it wasn't whole cans of dollar store vienna sausages.

I don't know, the sausage water is the best part

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I use the liquid from canned beans in stuff like chili (don't! start!) but potatoes???? what the gently caress?

suburban crock pot poo poo is almost always bland nasty slop

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Elviscat posted:

Please ignore the fact that I'm eating a can of beets with a fork, tia.

eating veg out the can is a power move, just like drinking a glass of raw eggs

it lets people know you are serious about your nutrition

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Beets are the #1 vegetable to eat straight from the can, no contest.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If I'm cooking with canned vegetables I'll usually use the vegetable liquid in lieu of salt. I mostly only use canned goods for crockpot stuff anyways so I'm not expecting anything fancy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

snoo posted:

I use the liquid from canned beans in stuff like chili (don't! start!) but potatoes???? what the gently caress?

suburban crock pot poo poo is almost always bland nasty slop

Corn water is okay but canned bean water I wouldn't go out of my way to drink.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

rodbeard posted:

If I'm cooking with canned vegetables I'll usually use the vegetable liquid in lieu of salt. I mostly only use canned goods for crockpot stuff anyways so I'm not expecting anything fancy.

sounds bland op

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is no one going to comment on the OSU branded crockpot?

Ohio is one giant food desert. No local flavor at all.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

OwlFancier posted:

Super triggered by the not draining of the cans because it's a crock pot, those things get damp as hell. You barely need any liquid to cook with them unless you're making a soup because they just sort of sweat the food as it cooks. Guarantee that bland slop she made was just loving swimming at the end.

I always drain anything canned that goes in the crockpot. You almost always end up with far more liquid than you need at the end unless you're leaving the lid off for the last 3 hours. Which you should. Because then you end up with a nice thick saucey mess of concentrated flavor instead of bland water.

My sister once made crockpot lasagna and didn't heed my warnings. It ended up lasagna soup.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the one big noodle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

empty sea posted:

Super triggered by the not draining of the cans because it's a crock pot, those things get damp as hell. You barely need any liquid to cook with them unless you're making a soup because they just sort of sweat the food as it cooks. Guarantee that bland slop she made was just loving swimming at the end.

I always drain anything canned that goes in the crockpot. You almost always end up with far more liquid than you need at the end unless you're leaving the lid off for the last 3 hours. Which you should. Because then you end up with a nice thick saucey mess of concentrated flavor instead of bland water.

My sister once made crockpot lasagna and didn't heed my warnings. It ended up lasagna soup.

Well yeah but that makes the weird bit putting the lid on rather than putting the water in.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

ACSABC

(all cops’ spouses are bad cooks)

This is the kind of wife lowtax deserves

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was growing up, my mom would never drain canned vegetables. It was always two cans of green beans in to the small serving bowl and into the microwave for 2 minutes, serve with a slotted spoon.

Microwave cooking is a little different than slow cooker cooking, is the thing. Leaving the water in on can vegetables (and/or draining them after cooking) helps the microwaving process instead of giving you even grosser, dessicated veg. If you're putting that stuff in a crock pot, though, well.

empty sea posted:

You barely need any liquid to cook with them unless you're making a soup because they just sort of sweat the food as it cooks. Guarantee that bland slop she made was just loving swimming at the end.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Whooping Crabs posted:

I don't know, the sausage water is the best part

There's a tradition here called "kettle hots" where the butchers sell boiled sausage right out of a huge kettle of boiling water that they keep adding new sausages to over the course of the morning, up until lunch. People go as late as possible because of the additional flavor from hours of sausaged water.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gschmidl posted:

There's a tradition here called "kettle hots" where the butchers sell boiled sausage right out of a huge kettle of boiling water that they keep adding new sausages to over the course of the morning, up until lunch. People go as late as possible because of the additional flavor from hours of sausaged water.

Where is this wonderous country?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Perpetual stew is a tradition that needs to come back to being widespread.

I know people that do their own in crock pots but idk if I want my apartment to smell like stew 24/7. I don't know that I don't either, mind.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That most emotionally scarring thing anyone has ever said to me was "You always smell like a soup. You're a Soup Girl. SOUP GIRL." And then I got called Soupgirl for all of high school. The saddest part was I smelled like a soup because my Mema always had a stew pot full of leftovers on the stove. And yeah. I smelled like delicious soup. Stop making me cry about how amazing soup is.

I'm still mad about a random joke in the movie Juno because of this. Stupid soups.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fizzymercy posted:

That most emotionally scarring thing anyone has ever said to me was "You always smell like a soup. You're a Soup Girl. SOUP GIRL." And then I got called Soupgirl for all of high school. The saddest part was I smelled like a soup because my Mema always had a stew pot full of leftovers on the stove. And yeah. I smelled like delicious soup. Stop making me cry about how amazing soup is.

I'm still mad about a random joke in the movie Juno because of this. Stupid soups.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

fizzymercy posted:

brave post. you have my respect. question: do you still smell like soup?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercy posted:

Sounds like you're still kind of stewing over it

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Brawnfire posted:

Sounds like you're still kind of stewing over it

:drat:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iron Crowned posted:

Where is this wonderous country?

Austria, although the tradition is dying out along with dedicated butchers :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are they dying out, or are they just being consumed by amalgamated meat+produce+dry goods+pharmacy grocery stores?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gonna have a pot next to the check out labeled "take a sausage, leave a sausage"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I remember a discussion awhile back about McDonald's buns being so sweet they're legally cake, and everyone (including me) thinking it was an urban legend.

Well, apparently Supreme Courts litigating bread sugar content is a real thing.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are they dying out, or are they just being consumed by amalgamated meat+produce+dry goods+pharmacy grocery stores?

Por que no los dos? (Tried to do google translate but they don’t have Austrian dialect, this post would be funnier otherwise)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whenever I am in the US I always notice the bread being very sweet. It's really odd if you're not used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Only the lovely mass produced stuff, go to a real bakery and get proper bread.

Now if you want lovely sweet bread, boy do I have a Korea for you...