Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm about at the point where even if it somehow reduced tax income I'd vote for it if it meant loving over the rich. Bunch of good for nothing parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sb 687 has the new tax rates , under 250k you save a few bucks, worst case is i think 7.99% on your income . It's written oddly and I don't care enough to figure it out.

If you're actually confused what it will do I don't actually believe you because it's really simple and was a big political issue like a year and a half ago

The detractors are probably right in that having more revenue makes it less likely that budgets get cut. Make of that what you will

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

The detractors are probably right in that having more revenue makes it less likely that budgets get cut. Make of that what you will

Definitely a well thought out and reasonable argument, one bad thing might potentially happen so we better make sure to do nothing and continue to live in an unsustainable situation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I mean, isn't the whole point of raising more revenue

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Most people are feeling extremely iffy about mail in voting. Since they do not trust mail in voting, they instead are voting early (probably for the first time) and they do not realize that the first few days can have the highest turnout for early voting.

True; I just figured that the most politically engaged (who are most likely those to vote early) would also be the most on-board with mail-in voting. I will admit that my worldview might be skewed: even my Fox-news poisoned parents are 100% on board with mail-in voting; however, they've also been taking this COVID stuff seriously as well, so . . . in conclusion, the conservative voter is a land of contrasts? :shrug:

In IL, do we have the option for in-person dropboxes to drop off a ballot (versus mailing in)? I suppose I'll find out when I get my ballot in 5-7 days or whatever.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean, isn't the whole point of raising more revenue

The opposing argument is, in fact, “we shouldn’t let the government have more money because they can exchange money for goods and services.” yes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you're in Chicago you can drop off your mail-in ballot at one of the early voting sites instead of putting it in the mail, if you're worried about that. I think this option becomes available in a couple weeks, and there's one early voting site in each ward. Not sure about elsewhere in Illinois.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Badger of Basra posted:

If you're in Chicago you can drop off your mail-in ballot at one of the early voting sites instead of putting it in the mail, if you're worried about that.

Less that I'm worried about anything, than it is a counter-argument to "PUTTING IT IN THE MAIL IS UNSAFE, TAMPERING!" because then it's just like "Okay well drop it off in person at the election HQ then?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zarin posted:

True; I just figured that the most politically engaged (who are most likely those to vote early) would also be the most on-board with mail-in voting. I will admit that my worldview might be skewed: even my Fox-news poisoned parents are 100% on board with mail-in voting; however, they've also been taking this COVID stuff seriously as well, so . . . in conclusion, the conservative voter is a land of contrasts? :shrug:

I wouldn't be surprised if the relentless propaganda of mail in voting being a fraud and the post office taking 69 years to deliver a letter has had an effect. As stupid as it seems, people do in fact adjust their behaviors based on whatever news is still echoing around in their skull.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the relentless propaganda of mail in voting being a fraud and the post office taking 69 years to deliver a letter has had an effect. As stupid as it seems, people do in fact adjust their behaviors based on whatever news is still echoing around in their skull.

You're right, of course. I don't know why I expect better of people.

In other news, has anyone seen this article? Thoughts?
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/z3eam5/if-you-live-in-illinois-facebook-probably-owes-you-dollar400?__twitter_impression=true

Vice lol posted:

If You Live in Illinois, Facebook Probably Owes You $400
Thousands of Facebook users can now collect up to $400 from Facebook's settlement fund for a class action lawsuit that alleged that the social media giant violated Illinois's biometric privacy law.

As much (little) as I use Facebook, it seems highly likely that I qualify. What horrible things are going to happen to me if I sign up for some ZuckBucks?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nothing horrible will happen unless you count forfeiting the right to sue Facebook over this same issue as an individual after you receive your settlement, same as any class action. If you uploaded a picture or someone else uploaded a picture of you that ended up tagged with your real name, you're eligible for a chunk of the settlement.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I think fair tax passing has a snowball's chance in hell, which will be hilarious when the assembly has to raise everyone's taxes by a lot in order to meet the shortfall.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Jows posted:

I think fair tax passing has a snowball's chance in hell, which will be hilarious when the assembly has to raise everyone's taxes by a lot in order to meet the shortfall.

BuT I VoTeD No sO SpRiNgFiElD CaN'T RaIsE My tAxEs lIkE ThE Ad sAiD!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CJacobs posted:

Political ads should be illegal

edit: Be purely informative or get off my TV. I don't need some paid-off super pac trying to tell me what and how to feel about a political issue.

I think the Supreme Court has made it pretty clear that political ads are free speech, so this isn't changing without an amendment, and good luck with that. Aside from that, making political ads illegal is extremely troublesome anyway. What constitutes a political ad? Who gets to decide what is political? Does this apply to the internet too? You are going to have an extremely tough time legislating something like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jows posted:

It was looking at 66% in favor

But yeah since it needs 60% it's close

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The last poll done was in March from what I can tell. Unless someone has an internal poll they're not letting out, I don't think anyone can guess what it'll do on election day.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think the Supreme Court has made it pretty clear that political ads are free speech, so this isn't changing without an amendment, and good luck with that. Aside from that, making political ads illegal is extremely troublesome anyway. What constitutes a political ad? Who gets to decide what is political? Does this apply to the internet too? You are going to have an extremely tough time legislating something like that.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of truth in advertising laws applied to political stuff which would require that the ad specify which political party they represent. For example, I got a mailer for Jim Durkin yesterday but it didn't state his Republican party affiliation anywhere on it. And I've seen Dem mailers with the same issue. And it's compounded by the fact that the web sites for the politicians also don't prominently display party affiliation and make you search for it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1309599189886623744

drat, going out sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Miss me with that slippery slope poo poo, man. Being intentionally deceiving by hiding your bias or appealing to a demographic's prejudices should not be allowed, full stop. Employing manipulation through deception in advertising is already considered false advertising in places like the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Nah, man, you see we just have to get money out of politics. The rich need to willingly submit to having no financial influence over the governments regulating them. Close all the loopholes. Simple!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the new amendment and the concurrent act setting tax rates makes it clear that a future legislature could set tax rates to 0 if you make over 1 million and 10% if you don't, so I assume you're ok with ads about that because it's 100% truthful and any politician promising not to do that could just be lying

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I really hope people are irony posting because boy are there some bad takes being shot front the hip rn.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Miss me with that slippery slope poo poo, man. Being intentionally deceiving by hiding your bias or appealing to a demographic's prejudices should not be allowed, full stop. Employing manipulation through deception in advertising is already considered false advertising in places like the UK, Australia, New Zealand.

Yea, but you said you want to ban all political ads, not just ones that are purposefully deceiving. Yea, I am all for banning those, and I think that's something that could actually get done. We already have false advertising laws, do these not apply to political ads? I'm genuinely asking; I guess we would need an AG willing to try it out.

I completely hate our current situation, Citizens United has made poo poo completely awful, but you can't ban political ads as a whole without amending the constitution. Sometimes people actually put out ads for poo poo I want done!

I know somebody in congress has floated the idea of taking all private money out of political races and making them publicly funded. I think I'd be all for that, but I don't know how it withstands the courts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well before you can argue it in court you're gonna have to convince the people who would be regulated by the law to actually vote to pass it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Will County, IL ballots were mailed on 9/24, I received mine today.

Gonna send it back on Monday and hopefully it will be received by Weds/Thurs.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Just received mine today. I am going to drop them (along with my wife’s) off at the county clerk’s office on Monday.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My area is getting demoted. Starting Saturday, no indoor dining again. Can't say I'm surprised as my Facebook feed lately has been filled with pictures of people going out to see a couple local bands and practicing absolutely zero precautions. The singers in both bands and their significant others are all self-quarantined w/ symptoms awaiting test results.

I feel like I'm back in school and the entire class is getting denied recess because one or two kids can't behave.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Yikes.

https://twitter.com/jasonfechner/status/1311031444626702339

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Build the Illinois/Wisconsin wall.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yeah, there's a huge spike in Northeastern Wisconsin - Brown County (Green Bay) and all the counties around it.

My mom's been pressuring me to go to a cousin's wedding in Waukesha county to "represent her" ('cuz she's not going up from AZ), and last week Wisconsin had the highest 7-day positivity rate of any state at 16.99%. NOPE!!!

I have a feeling it's going to be even worse in two weeks. It's like they're just realizing poo poo's getting real now, so it's likely already spread to a whole bunch of other people who will be getting sick soon.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Ballot question: there is a spot for Ballot Code but I cannot what I am supposed to put on there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was loving pumped to go to northern Wisconsin this weekend too, it's peak fall color up there right now. Would have been my first anything away from home since February.

But no, 2020 must continue to take.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Ballot question: there is a spot for Ballot Code but I cannot what I am supposed to put on there.

I assume nothing. I didn’t see anything like that on my ballot, and it’s probably something for the Clerk’s office.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

FYI - Will County mailed my ballot last Thursday, I received it Saturday. I put it in my mailbox on Monday, and they received it yesterday.

So here, things seem to working as they should.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

Will County, IL ballots were mailed on 9/24, I received mine today.

Gonna send it back on Monday and hopefully it will be received by Weds/Thurs.

I'd like to suggest that IL peeps are better off waiting for the InjusticeWatch judge recs to be released in a few days before filling out your ballots and returning them.

Their recs are really, really good & detailed and I followed them to a T in 2018.

edit: Looks like they only cover Cook County. :(

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

I'd like to suggest that IL peeps are better off waiting for the InjusticeWatch judge recs to be released in a few days before filling out your ballots and returning them.

Their recs are really, really good & detailed and I followed them to a T in 2018.

edit: Looks like they only cover Cook County. :(

Ty for the heads up. I like Girl, I Guess; hoping they're out soon too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Got my ballot and will probably wait for info on judges before sending it in.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dexo posted:

It can generate as much as it wants.

The Fair tax is essentially modifying the state constitution to allow for progressive tax system.

Which means they don't have to tax everyone the exact same amount for state taxes

It's why all of the advertising against the fair tax is complete BS because there's nothing preventing `Madigan` from raising taxes now The thing is they'd just have to tax everyone the same raised amount. While with a progressive tax they can theoretically anyway lower taxes on poor people and raise taxes on rich leeches.

I don't know what's the Numbers are for their initial plan but regardless of what they are this is something we need.

No no you're supposed to weep for the retirees and small business owners clearing $250k a year

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I think Girl, I Guess is out now... but I also think they're being swamped at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I think Girl, I Guess is out now... but I also think they're being swamped at the moment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...=h.m5g7fy461pfb

That is a direct link to the Doc I think.