Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fart simpson posted:

assuming a trump win will make things worse is also catastrophizing

This isn't the clever retort you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

All you people whining about how Biden isn't a perfect progressive do realize that you can still organize, stay involved in local and national politics after the election, right? You can call your representatives, senators, &c. and agitate about what concerns you.

You will never get the policies you want without forcing the politicians you elect to move in the direction you want. Just remember that this doesn't stop when you cast your vote. Don't just vote and then go and wish real hard to yourself or bitch on the internet. If you want something you have to force your politicians in that direction, but that doesn't work if you have a president and party who truly do not give a gently caress about you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CNN right now is gross. So many loving idiots

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This isn't the clever retort you think it is.

:ironicat:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Look, we need a robust lifeboat that can actually carry all the people on it if we have a chance of surviving this."

*is handed a rotting, hole-ridden raw cardboard tub*

"What the gently caress?"

"You just want diamonds. Pfah. Greedy purity testers."
I don't think you actually understood the metaphor

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

"They're just mad that their life raft isn't ostentatiously, uselessly trinketed," a very cogent criticism of leftists :)

It is when the primary is over and some of said leftists are declaring in favor of

SKULL.GIF posted:

Obama's ineffectual centrism led to Trump.

Clinton's ineffectual centrism led to W.

Carter's ineffectual centrism led to Reagan.

How far back do you need to go before you accept evidence as evidence?

The EPA was running and regulations were expanded under those dem admins, healthcare was expanded as well, and various other causes important to the left, yet here we are hemming and hawing as Donnie “White Supremacists on Standby” Trump readies to double down on ending every leftist cause he can get his hands on.

No matter which leftist would theoretically be elected, their administration would be imperfect and the political pendulum would swing the other way the way it has throughout US history.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fellwenner posted:

All you people whining about how Biden isn't a perfect progressive do realize that you can still organize, stay involved in local and national politics after the election, right? You can call your representatives, senators, &c. and agitate about what concerns you.

You will never get the policies you want without forcing the politicians you elect to move in the direction you want. Just remember that this doesn't stop when you cast your vote. Don't just vote and then go and wish real hard to yourself or bitch on the internet. If you want something you have to force your politicians in that direction, but that doesn't work if you have a president and party who truly do not give a gently caress about you.

so you're saying it won't work no matter who wins this election?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

Ah yes, I too want to reward the people who sank the loving boat in the first place with their poo poo behavior. Great idea!

You're bitching about a life raft analogy and trying to bring everyone down, and for what? What is even your point?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Obama being black and Hilary Clinton being Hilary Clinton led to Trump's election c'mon

Obama won the people you now think are unreachable racists. He won them twice. It wasn't Obama being black or Hillary being a woman that sunk them

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Holy poo poo there were way more people who thought Trump won

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fellwenner posted:

I think showing them that we're capable of not voting for them is a way to move them in the direction we want.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1311147110713171968

"he's saying it when he's not supposed to be saying it"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

Holy poo poo there were way more people who thought Trump won

I super liked what he said though!!!!! Just not how he said it! No, I'm not a racist but...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why should literally anyone care what this "undecided" focus group thinks if it has militant racists as members?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1311147110713171968

"he's saying it when he's not supposed to be saying it"

Why should we care what these people think? They’re racist trump supporters through and through.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

nine-gear crow posted:

People are mad that the life raft they're being thrown isn't bedazzled with diamonds and will willingly take a gulp of sea water out of spite.

if i told you to shut up i'd eat a probation, yet biden is allowed to shout it to the president of the united states. curious! shut up, idiot.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Let's hit 5% people!

Let’s hand the election to Trump people! That’ll surely be great for green initiatives.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nix Panicus posted:

Stop catastophizing. America will survive Trump. This election is just another road bump. I, for one, am voting my conscious on this one and not voting for Joe and will encourage others to vote third party

I mean, a few hundred thousand DACA recipients might die or have their lives ruined, but what does that matter against the true light of ideological purity?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I think showing them that we're capable of not voting for them is a way to move them in the direction we want.

Voting third party indicates you were willing to jump through the hoops required to vote and decided Biden wasn't worth your support. Third party voting is the only way to register disagreement with the democrats, which is why they hate it so much they're actively trying to suppress third parties

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Fallom posted:

why should literally anyone care what this "undecided" focus group thinks if it has militant racists as members?

Because it's probably a decent cross section of the US :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Rapner posted:

Let’s hand the election to Trump people! That’ll surely be great for green initiatives.

are you trying to imply that the party literally removing the green party from the ballot is going to be good for the green party?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Stop doing this, it’s lovely. I loving hate Joe Biden but I’m gonna vote for him, but it is totally understandable for Americans to think, in this moment in time especially, that we’re hosed. People aren’t fantasizing that things are really bad. Things are really loving bad and voting for Joe Biden is literally the least I can do and there’s a good chance his presidency will amount to poo poo and we’re even closer to complete disaster. This isn’t catastrophizing, this is recognizing trends in our country and where those logically lead.
I feel ya man. Voting for biden is a vote for palliative care. Not to someone who's in a miracle going to be pressured to change or be defeated by people. That's certainly an option but it's about as useless to bring up like whatever Tea party 3.0 is gonna come.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Noted Centrist Jimmy Carter.
This is literally the first time i hear he's not.
He's associated with Clinton policy wise and wikipedia finds him moderate at least in how he campaigned what's the objection to that?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Nix Panicus posted:

Voting third party indicates you were willing to jump through the hoops required to vote and decided Biden wasn't worth your support. Third party voting is the only way to register disagreement with the democrats, which is why they hate it so much they're actively trying to suppress third parties

This is a stupid loving idea.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

You're bitching about a life raft analogy and trying to bring everyone down, and for what? What is even your point?

The point is Joe and the DNC are bad and shouldn’t be rewarded for their terrible behavior. Everybody should vote 3rd party instead of for the people who looked at the boat that was listing to the right and decided that moving more and more to the right was better than moving to the left to upright the boat.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 30, 2020

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fellwenner posted:

You will never get the policies you want without forcing the politicians you elect to move in the direction you want.

I agree. How do you do that if they know you'll vote for them no matter what?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

I mean, a few hundred thousand DACA recipients might die or have their lives ruined, but what does that matter against the true light of ideological purity?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nix Panicus posted:

B-b-but I though the democrats were the protectors of democracy!?!?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

spacetoaster posted:

And how has that worked so far? Worked really well for Nader voters in the 00's, also worked really well for Green/Libertarians in '16.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

ReidRansom posted:

Sir, SIR? SIR! You are catastrophizing right now. Please cease and accept your shoddy life raft

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

Why should we care what these people think? They’re racist trump supporters through and through.

Because you have to live in the same country as them. All of them, the chuddiest chuds to the lowest of low information undecided waffler. In any sort of representative form of government, you'll need to come to some mode of living side by side with all of them in a way that doesn't result in bloodshed and violence.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

This is a stupid loving idea.

Voter suppression via removing third parties from the ballot because of massive insecurity over voters having any other choice?

Yeah I agree thats real loving dumb, and yet the democrats keep doing it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fellwenner posted:

And how has that worked so far? Worked really well for Nader voters in the 00's, also worked really well for Green/Libertarians in '16.

Looking at the Democrats? Not well. Hopefully that party will change, or go away, sooner rather than later.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Kreeblah posted:

I agree. How do you do that if they know you'll vote for them no matter what?

Pick up your phone and call them! Write a physical letter, send an email, go to the local office of your representative, assuming you're not in pandemic lockdown.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

The point is Joe and the DNC are bad and shouldn’t be rewarded for their terrible behavior. Everybody should vote 3rd party instead of for the people who looked at the boat that was listing to the right and decided that moving more and more to the right was better than moving to the left to center the boat.

There are no 3rd parties with candidates that are inspiring. The green party has failed to move Democrats left in any election over, what, the last 30 years? No one is going to feel punished because you and two other morons are casting protest votes for some nobody. Get real. You could be doing real work to influence local and state elections, but instead you're here casting doom and gloom about voting against Trump. Ineffectual, uninspiring foolishness.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fellwenner posted:

how has voting blue worked out since 2000?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fellwenner posted:

Pick up your phone and call them! Write a physical letter, send an email, go to the local office of your representative, assuming you're not in pandemic lockdown.

We are poor. Why would they care about what we have to say?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

are you trying to imply that the party literally removing the green party from the ballot is going to be good for the green party?

The only people removing the Green party is the Green party for not following the rules or paying something on time or giving enough of a gently caress to actually get on the ballot themselves.

It’s almost like they don’t expect to win but do intend to collect some donations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Jimmy Carter was a centrist? (for the late 70s)

He absolutely was?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
giving a poo poo about bipartisan politics is literally a trap meant to sap energy that could go towards organizing local efforts that could change things on a small scale and work towards greater and better things by redirecting that energy towards picking between one of two rapists

and the worst part is that it actually works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fellwenner posted:

Well enough that the Democrats are fighting tooth and nail to keep the Greens off the ballot.