Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Lemming posted:

Yeah I mean for the release though, at the very least Origin said 9PM PST on the 30th, but I also assume you can still use the VPN trick to unlock it even earlier

Origin has it at 9PM PST on the 1st, not the 30th. If you VPN to NZ it jumps to 7AM PST on the 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Symetrique posted:

Origin has it at 9PM PST on the 1st, not the 30th. If you VPN to NZ it jumps to 7AM PST on the 1st.

Oh yeah duh, totally misread that. It sounds like I'll be able to play Thursday evening which was my goal

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
In reality I probably won't be able to kick this thing off until Saturday

So I'm just gonna be like drat

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Did they confirm that this is playable with M+KB? Or will my teammates get annoyed at me?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thom12255 posted:

Did they confirm that this is playable with M+KB? Or will my teammates get annoyed at me?

It is.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

hhhat posted:

In reality I probably won't be able to kick this thing off until Saturday

So I'm just gonna be like drat

Thats too bad, everyone will be over it by then and on to other games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thom12255 posted:

It is, but you have to control the keyboard with your right hand and the mouse with your left hand (or vice versa if you’re a lefty). The game will recognize if you’re not in compliance.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Xenomrph posted:

It is, but you have to control the keyboard with your right hand and the mouse with your left hand (or vice versa if you’re a lefty). The game will recognize if you’re not in compliance.

Just hold the mouse upside down, hth

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s only compatible with this mouse:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s only compatible with this mouse:

Easy.

Left Wheel - Engine Power
Right Wheel - Weapon Power
Both Wheels at once - Shield Power

Click wheel to Maximize

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wrong, left wheel is pitch, right wheel is roll.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bad Munki posted:

Wrong, left wheel is pitch, right wheel is roll.

This is almost like when I tried to play an FPS with my (still)best friend and he had his controls set to M1: Forward M2: Jump. I tried as hard as I could to play like that and it just would not click.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Everyone knows the correct FPS configuration is M1 strafe right, M2 switch weapons.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

This is almost like when I tried to play an FPS with my (still)best friend and he had his controls set to M1: Forward M2: Jump. I tried as hard as I could to play like that and it just would not click.

Ever play the "two-player" mode of Goldeneye 64?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

SuperKlaus posted:

Preload is stored in the balls

Then where does malk come from?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Symetrique posted:

Origin, where every game is unlocked early via VPN.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

uXs posted:

Then where does malk come from?

Almonds

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Decided to pre order the game since it's out in two days, no pre load yet? What's up with that.

Now I've never been one for flight sticks and what not but this game has me interested a bit in them, so as a newb who has no clue on these things what would be a good one to get to play the game with?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Keltar posted:

Decided to pre order the game since it's out in two days, no pre load yet? What's up with that.

Now I've never been one for flight sticks and what not but this game has me interested a bit in them, so as a newb who has no clue on these things what would be a good one to get to play the game with?

Anything but the HOTAS-X, which is so lovely that I'd rather use a keyboard.

Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro is a serviceable and cheap stick that's been around forever. Back when I felt safe leaving the house, I'd frequently see them in thrift stores.

For new, the VKB Gladiator NXT for $120 ($150 for a version with more buttons) is very high quality at the upper end of "cheap." Beyond that you start getting very expensive very quickly, especially since the recent release of Microsoft Flight Simulator caused everything to sell out everywhere.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Shine posted:

Anything but the HOTAS-X, which is so lovely that I'd rather use a keyboard.

Aren't the Hotas One and Hotas 4 basically the same stick with minor improvements? Reddit says that the newer models don't have the terrible deadzone the X has (that you can config away anyway), but are they more precise as well? Should we be wary of those too?

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 30, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Does anyone know if only Origin has the early unlock, or if Steam has it too?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does it have Vitamin R?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

Aren't the Hotas One and Hotas 4 basically the same stick with minor improvements? Reddit says that the newer models don't have the terrible deadzone the X has (that you can config away anyway), but are they more precise as well? Should we be wary of those too?

I picked up a Hotas 4 and it seems fine for the price, doesn't seem to have a terrible deadzone or anything but my last two sticks were "Quickshot" followed by "Sidewinder Precision Pro" so I'm not exactly up to date with high quality sticks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Somehow just found out about this game today. I spent years playing Tie Fighter and Xwing back in the day. I have a GTX 760 which is higher than the 660 in the requirements, but I'm not sure my i5-4570 will cut it.

I was tossing the idea around of building a new rig off the new nvidia cards this Winter, this may push me over the edge. Think I’ll be able to limp along until I build that later this year or not worth my time?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Day one advice:

Since you're required to play dogfight mode for five player ranks before fleet battles unlocks, your first couple of upgrades should focus on dogfighting and not anti ship abilities. Bombers aren't great in this mode so I'd hold off on unlocking bomber components right away.

The first two unlocks you should pick are ion missiles for each side. These are shared between ships and have great utility.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

How many maps is this game shipping with? and do maps matter in space? will it get boring if maps dont matter?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

afkmacro posted:

How many maps is this game shipping with? and do maps matter in space? will it get boring if maps dont matter?

Is space just one giant Hamada?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

The giant, unremovable deadzone was my biggest gripe with the HOTAS-X, as it effectively reduced the controller's already-small range-of-motion to something annoying tiny, so it felt twitchy and imprecise, even with a sensitivity curve added. The CH Fighterstick from like 1998 felt far more precise. If the newer revisions have fixed the big, dumb deadzone, then I imagine they'd be serviceable at their MSRP.

That said, with us being in the COVID+MFS2020 pricing hellzone, it looks like you can get the T.16000M (stick only) for around the same price as those HOTASes (at a glance, anyway), so if it's between that reputable standalone stick or a questionable quality HOTAS, I'd rather have the good standalone stick. Throttles are nice to have, but the stick is what matters most. You can always buy a separate throttle later.

TraderStav posted:

Somehow just found out about this game today. I spent years playing Tie Fighter and Xwing back in the day. I have a GTX 760 which is higher than the 660 in the requirements, but I'm not sure my i5-4570 will cut it.

I was tossing the idea around of building a new rig off the new nvidia cards this Winter, this may push me over the edge. Think I’ll be able to limp along until I build that later this year or not worth my time?

VR's probably out, but otherwise, there's no harm in seeing how it goes. Try it, refund it if it runs like crap.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shine posted:

VR's probably out, but otherwise, there's no harm in seeing how it goes. Try it, refund it if it runs like crap.

I keep forgetting that is an option. Will do!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What ever happened to the Logitech G940?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh boy I got 2 steam profile borders for the game, but of course cant preload for some reason.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if anyone's thinking about it i've been jammin on the VKB NXT Gladiator Pro and it slaps. lots of buttons, good stick, metal ball thingy, nice stuff. definitely getting their thruster module when its out.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Shine posted:

VR has a 1060 minimum in general, 1070ti for this game, and really a 1080 is the more realistic “recommended minimum”

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
EA used to give you ten days early access for subscribers. I tried BF1 and 5 with it. What happened to that?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Can I VR + xbone game pad? I don't want to b invest in a hotas until I can confirm VR works with my brain and the coop mode generally doesn't suck.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Disposable Scud posted:

EA used to give you ten days early access for subscribers. I tried BF1 and 5 with it. What happened to that?

They aren't doing it for this title for whatever reason. :shrug:

iirc there was also no public open beta weekend like Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5 had.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
the almost complete lack of gameplay footage out there for this kinda sketches me out, though this does seem like it has potential to be, sick. when are reviews supposed to be dropped?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've been getting flight time in TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance with my x52. I think I'll be ready on launch to blast some rebel scum/imperial dogs.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

get me HQ! posted:

the almost complete lack of gameplay footage out there for this kinda sketches me out, though this does seem like it has potential to be, sick. when are reviews supposed to be dropped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uhlMh3zho

There was a pretty good amount of gameplay footage from the initial gamechanger reveal.

Disposable Scud posted:

Its a pretty lovely practice for competitive focused games. Getting an mp game with unlocks early is a pretty big leg up in unlocks and game knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

BigHead posted:

Can I VR + xbone game pad? I don't want to b invest in a hotas until I can confirm VR works with my brain and the coop mode generally doesn't suck.

Yes. The game is designed for gamepads; HOTAS is optional.