Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:patriot:

I wasn't expecting the mask considering the shipping information said it was coming from Australia :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Iron Crowned posted:

:patriot:

I wasn't expecting the mask considering the shipping information said it was coming from Australia :confused:

lmao mine said australia too

My mask is too small to wear comfortably so I'm looking at those ear-saver / mask extender things, curse me and my giant head

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Code Jockey posted:

lmao mine said australia too

My mask is too small to wear comfortably so I'm looking at those ear-saver / mask extender things, curse me and my giant head

Yeah, it's a little small, and uncomfortable to put on, but it's fine when I get it over my ears.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1310031667764101121?s=19

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
So i saw this.

https://twitter.com/HeepDouse/status/1310202763754844160?s=20

and went looking into it and found some mainline TERF poo poo going on with the georgia greens.

http://georgiagreenparty.org/georgia-party-responds-to-invitation-from-lavender-caucus/

This isn't necessarily dragging Howie into it but that's some bullshit right there.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:ohno:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I may just be talking out of my rear end here, but I think TERF poo poo like that is another reason Howie needs to get 5%

If, despite the Democrats best efforts, he's able to hit the 5% win condition, then that's a mandate for the direction the party needs to take, and it will be easier to get those terfy fucks out of the party.

Though, on the other hand, they never should have been in in the first place.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

the_steve posted:

I may just be talking out of my rear end here, but I think TERF poo poo like that is another reason Howie needs to get 5%

If, despite the Democrats best efforts, he's able to hit the 5% win condition, then that's a mandate for the direction the party needs to take, and it will be easier to get those terfy fucks out of the party.

I dunno, will it? I'm voting in georgia, if they hit 5% here is it not just going to cement that they did the right thing that suddenly got them a bump?

suddenly having to consider a protest vote against the protest vote.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

I think that you're right that getting 5% makes it easier to get TERFs and other assorted cranks out of the party. I had this conversation with some friends a few days ago, but the biggest problems 3rd parties have is not that they have to fight against the Ds and the Rs, but rather that they're constantly having to fight themselves. For almost 100 years now, 3rd parties have been dumping grounds for kooks and cranks that were too fringe for the "major" parties. People who are dangerously charismatic but who hold views that have fatal defects, or people who have pretty good views that are contrary to the establishment's will get shunted off to places where they're largely harmless. (Harmless to the establishment, that is.) So you get these loosely affiliated "parties" that are prone to schisms because they aren't very internally coherent in terms of ideology.

Howie and Angela represent the best nucleus for a stable Green Party to coalesce around that I've seen so far. They're idealistic while still being goal-oriented instead of just a "protest candidate." If we can push behind them, then they bring more reasonable leftists into the party, and the cranks will start falling out as they find themselves being drowned out by people who won't out up with their bullshit. If there is a specific down-ballot candidate that you know is a TERF, don't vote for them, but do vote for Howie/Angela.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm not surprised there's TERFs in the Green Party, they try to infiltrate any liberal-left space they can.

Also I guaran-loving-tee that if Biden loses we'll have public TERFs come out of the woodwork in the Democratic Party too.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Yes, the leadership of the Georgia Green Party formally took a TERF position several months ago. It has been the cause of widespread condemnation from most of the GP national leadership and state parties. I'm not directly involved in the GNC since June, but at the time the main dividing lines were not between TERF and non-TERF, but rather about how to deal with it. The majority camp was urging direct confrontation, while there was a liberalish minority arguing to resolve it through dialog. I used to think that one of the weaknesses of the party was the number of people in it who because of pacifist ideology etc are just utterly incapable of facing conflict, but now I'm more of the mind that that's just what happens when you have some liberals among you. It's probably also not a coincidence that the big policy rift in 2019-2020 was sex work decriminalization/legalization. To my knowledge, that one never actually got resolved, and was extremely heated with the anti-legalization crowd basing their arguments in certain strains of feminism.

edit: I do remember now that the TERFs formed some sort of nebulous "caucus" outside of the party structure and was sending literally all of the GP delegates private correspondence to try to win them over on the vote. Most of the people in said caucus were not even verified to be Green Party members but had some sort of inroads via a TERF delegate.

This was also tangled up in some procedural vote regarding reserved seats for women on certain committees and the TERFs were kicking up the usual stink about how this is a grand conspiracy to disenfranchise women by "allowing men to take women's seats". (In case I need to say this, it was actually to make the reserved seats available to nonbinary/trans people since the point of the whole thing is to break the systemic power of cis men)

Fuzzy McDoom has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Sep 27, 2020

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1311132450697945088

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

man it is bizarre seeing liberals trying to rationalize this farce in the responses

how do these people live with that level of cognitive dissonance?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr. Lobe posted:

man it is bizarre seeing liberals trying to rationalize this farce in the responses

Because Trump is a Gat Danged Cheeto in the Gat Danged White House! :bahgawd:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: wrong thread

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr. Lobe posted:

with six figgies

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1311673766804623360?s=19

The hero we need

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Big swing toward Biden. It's more important than ever to vote Green.

tl;dr: If the Dems' rightward movement radicalizes the GOP into non-viability, the Dems can start to take over as the right-wing party.
tl;dr:
tl;dr: This would create breathing room for us!

Bear with me...

US politics runs off oligarchic patronage, and the Dems are unwilling to stay where they are.

As such, they endlessly move right.

Two eventual outcomes:
  • [Success: Permanent Majority Party] They push the GOP so far right that the GOP goes off a cliff. Anyone viable to the base is non-viable outside the base.
  • [Failure: Permanent Minority Party] They push the GOP so far right that that we become a fascist dictatorship.

If Biden manages a complete blowout, the Dems may take over and the GOP may implode. Who will be the permanent minority party? The freshly imploded GOP?

We can capitalize on pent-up demand for UHC and legal weed. Provide an outlet for climate change anxiety. Free sandwiches.

And I'm framing this as 'Permanent [Majority/Minority] Party' because that's the historical norm.

See: American politics is more competitive than ever. That’s making partisanship worse.

quote:

The closeness of today’s party competition is decidedly not normal in American politics. In fact, the last three decades have seen the longest period of near parity in party competition for control of national institutions since the Civil War.

I'm doing my part! I'm voting for Howie!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

gonna own if trump and biden both get ronied

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
uh oh my vote's already in the mail what if both of them get ronied and then Bernie gets the D nom and

hahaha just kidding I'm not worried about that at all

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

uh oh my vote's already in the mail what if both of them get ronied and then Bernie gets the D nom and

In the event that both candidates die of the Rona, the rules dictate that the next president be the loser of the last election.
It's her turn! :supaburn:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

the_steve posted:

In the event that both candidates die of the Rona, the rules dictate that the next president be the loser of the last election.
It's her turn! :supaburn:

come on 2020, you've been a dogshit year, but this, if you make this thing happen, all is forgiven

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

at this point I'd still vote green.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hmmm. That is a tricksy one.
Honestly if, in the nigh-impossible scenario that Bernie became the Dem nominee, I would probably still vote for him but Green down ticket.

On the other hand, Bernie laid down hard after his ratfucking, so I can't say with certainty what I would do. Guess it would depend on what hypothetical Bernie actually did with said hypothetical nomination.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the_steve posted:

Hmmm. That is a tricksy one.
Honestly if, in the nigh-impossible scenario that Bernie became the Dem nominee, I would probably still vote for him but Green down ticket.

On the other hand, Bernie laid down hard after his ratfucking, so I can't say with certainty what I would do. Guess it would depend on what hypothetical Bernie actually did with said hypothetical nomination.

It would depend 100% on how Bernie handles it. If he gets cucked into "I'm going to honor my friend Joe's wishes and not replace his platform with my own," it's H20 baby.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Marx Was A Lib posted:

It would depend 100% on how Bernie handles it. If he gets cucked into "I'm going to honor my friend Joe's wishes and not replace his platform with my own," it's H20 baby.

That's bananas. He most certainly wouldn't.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Zesty posted:

That's bananas. He most certainly wouldn't.

It adopts the Biden platform or it gets the heart attack gun again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hillary should just do like Diocletian and move the seat of administration to Little St. James.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ayyyy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nice!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

:hai:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I checked and Howie’s not printed on the ballot here, but he’s a valid write-in.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Byzantine posted:

I checked and Howie’s not printed on the ballot here, but he’s a valid write-in.

oh tight, i checked after reading your post and HE'S A VALID WRITE-IN CANDIDATE IN MY STATE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1313102196091817986

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No, I just wanna vote for Howie at this point, tbqh. Liberals don't even realise they have options, they're so loving stupid, just not ever for the reasons any right-winger has pasted onto an image.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Howie's platform isn't perfect but it is more representative of my interests than any other known options on my ballot (write-ins cannot be published per the board of elections rules, only available if you ask in person at the polling location).

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Here in PA's 14th district, you can add another write-in for Howie that will probably be invalidated for some arbitrary bullshit reason.
At least I was able to vote Green on the downballot as well.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1314340058321817600?s=19

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Tuesday
October, 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010