Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm new to monitoring this thread but I gotta tell you, I really didn't expect the board game thread to be the second-snippiest thread in TG. (The most aggressively nasty thread is the magic: the gathering thread, because of course it is.)

You guys can manage to respond to an innocent question about Catan, and respond to those responses, in a much less mean-spirited way. I'm quite sure of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Things heating up in the competitive Catan universe

Also re:Heroquest if you've never seen the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Thank you! That sounds awful. Is there character progression or?

Extremely limited. Your class abilities are basically static, you gain gold that lets you buy better equipment which you will probably max out on well before the end of the campaign, and there are magic items you pick up as you progress through plot quests that improve your capabilities (mostly just +numbers, maybe a few more interesting items.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hero Quest was a fun game for me to play with my 10 year old brother in 1991. He cared a lot more about the cool little furniture shelves and the gargoyle and stuff than he did about how rolling for movement is bad.

I think it's antiquated in game design terms and people actually play video games now and there's far more games that learned from old stuff like Hero Quest about what to do and what not to do. I still have a set and I'd totally play it with someone if they wanted, but after one game I'd be suggesting one of several other games I have with similar ideas but more modern mechanics: or, if they still want the classic game feel but some more complexity and expandability, I've got Advanced Hero Quest too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm new to monitoring this thread but I gotta tell you, I really didn't expect the board game thread to be the second-snippiest thread in TG. (The most aggressively nasty thread is the magic: the gathering thread, because of course it is.)

You guys can manage to respond to an innocent question about Catan, and respond to those responses, in a much less mean-spirited way. I'm quite sure of it.

no one can ever match the posting spirit of broken loose :rip:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When are they going to get serious and rerelease Space Hulk

I weep for wherever my 1st Edition ended up :negative:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My copy of Forbidden Stars sold in 3 hours, I should have charged more for it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Infinitum posted:

When are they going to get serious and rerelease Space Hulk

I weep for wherever my 1st Edition ended up :negative:

They've released three separate editions though? The one they put out in 2009 is IMO definitive. https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/2328803 Someone has a set for $150 on geekmarket. Amazon has them for $300 from a third party which is too much. I think it retailed for $99?

It's not a great game but as an asymmetrical two-player strategy game it holds up OK. The best way to play a scenario is to play it twice with your opponent, switching sides after the first match. Also take the sand timer seriously once you have learned the rules, it's an essential component. As typical for GW boxed set games of the era, you have to assemble minis in order to play and they're fiddly: but this edition's minis are at least snap-together so you don't have to do extensive gluing. Some of them are pretty fragile though. The board tiles and all the other components are fantastic. It feels good to set up and feels good to play, until you have a streak of bad dice and lose despite your good strategy, which is the failing for most GW games from back then.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 30, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StashAugustine posted:

no one can ever match the posting spirit of broken loose :rip:

Whatever happened to BL?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Even as a kid, I knew Hero Quest was bad.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

pospysyl posted:

No one on earth will be impressed if you know the rules to Catan. That's why it was such a funny question. If this special lady gets offended if someone hasn't done their homework before their date, then that actually is a reason to sever.
Nobody will be impressed or offended, what even is this false equivalence nonsense right here? Some weird posts crawling out of the woodwork.

Talking about board games, their mechanics and how they interact is cool and fun. Going through the rules and doing "the teach" is the worst part of games night. If it's anything from Skull to an 18XX, if my friends show up and know how to play I'm happier than if I have to literally do my day job during my social time with my friends. More time playing = better. Talk about the game after you play.

E: Aw poo poo, sorry Leperflesh. I'll knock it off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Straight White Shark posted:

It's very simplistic and relies entirely on random chance to try to get interesting things to occasionally happen. You roll dice to move towards the closest monster and roll dice to attack it. Options to do anything else are extremely limited and often unreliable. Exploration between combats is also dice and card driven and there are stretches of pointless die rolling to navigate the board (these tend to get houseruled quickly in my experience.) Also, it's written to require a player to sit out to be a full time GM despite its simplicity, although maybe they'll make an app for that this time around.

They better had, there was an 8-bit computer version of the game (which is the only way I played it). If they could do it in 1990 there's no excuse now.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I enjoy learning games because I'm interested in game design. I'd like to learn games I might not even enjoy playing if they have interesting ideas.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is Guilds of London?

Looks interesting and someone close by is selling it for cheap.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Leperflesh posted:

They really, really can't. The OP of this thread needs to be something like "Normies be warned: The people in this thread are loving nuts, driven mad from 40 years of snorting trains"

*suspiciously sniffs* I'm clean, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

I used to love Warhammer Quest as a kid and then I played it again a few years ago and wow kid me had bad taste and no ability to detect bullshit levels of randomness

Oh yeah. It's like playing D&D if your GM just rolled a dice to see what monsters would show up, so you fight D3 Elder Plutonium Dragons on your second adventure and die

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ahh gently caress, okay, I want to learn more about Xiangqi because that's the box I brought up to have my 5yo just randomly play with the pieces and holy poo poo the giant wooden discs are amazing.

Any particularly good resources/apps/sites/etc? I also noted that the box has a lovely plastic mat and need to either get or make a board if I'm gonna do this...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Having another game day this weekend, as it's a long weekend in Australia, and I am furiously refreshing the tracking page for my Crokinole board as it may arrive juuuussttt in time.

I will be very :jiggled: if it doesn't because I have now jinxed myself by speaking it out loud.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Having another game day this weekend, as it's a long weekend in Australia, and I am furiously refreshing the tracking page for my Crokinole board as it may arrive juuuussttt in time.

I will be very :jiggled: if it doesn't because I have now jinxed myself by speaking it out loud.

I was actually just wondering about crokinole earlier today, actually. Is it easy enough to learn the basics?
And also, are there any places in Aus where you can get a board, which doesn't cost an arm and a leg? (Oh and how big is the board/disc? I wonder if it would pass the kallax test :v: )

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

Speaking for the thread here, we expect pictures when it eventually arrives. Mainly because I was incredibly tempted to get one but managed to fight the urge, seeing one will help me finalise a decision for when the next Kickstarter rolls around.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

They really, really can't. The OP of this thread needs to be something like "Normies be warned: The people in this thread are loving nuts, driven mad from 40 years of snorting trains"

*suspiciously sniffs* I'm clean, though.

The Nintendo switch thread had a four page argument over whether mario is saying "so Long, gay bowser" today, so you guys are pretty stable in comparison

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna cross-post from the AusGBS thread.

Infinitum posted:

Backed a board on Kickstarter on the cheap, because they've finally started to offer international shipping.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/mayday-2020-crokinole-board-2-4-player-maple-or-rosewood
It's a proper tournament sized board.

If/when you get one:
Use this wax - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U2V1O (You want NO cleaners, just wax. Get this one)
Use this gliss powder - https://crokinole.ca/collections/crokinole-accessories/products/fast-and-ultra-fast-speed-crokinole-board-powder-500-grams-each (If you want to use gliss)

Crokinole.ca also sells rubber pegs for further improvement.

If you don't know what Crokinole is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKzeg78peg

I knew of Crokinole, as I'm a boardgame nerd, and a mate of a mate got a board for his birthday. The house party afterwards turned into an impromptu Crokinole tournament and it was played all night.
Crokinole rules.

There are some cheap and nasty boards out there, so if you are buying one please try to invest a little bit of money.

Old mate on Facebook sells them, but I have 0 info past that. Legit don't know if he's worth a look in or what.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/Crokinole-Australia-530572854068508/

I don't think there's a huge market for it in Australia, so you may end up wanting to wait for the next Mayday KS.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The Nintendo switch thread had a four page argument over whether mario is saying "so Long, gay bowser" today, so you guys are pretty stable in comparison

How could anyone deny that Mario said "so long, Gay Bowser"?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Redundant posted:

Speaking for the thread here, we expect pictures when it eventually arrives. Mainly because I was incredibly tempted to get one but managed to fight the urge, seeing one will help me finalise a decision for when the next Kickstarter rolls around.

Nah yeah, I'll be posting some for sure. I'll also point out any defects or anything like that, as apparently they had a bit of a history of that a number of years ago.
I have heard the quality has improved, to where there are very minimal issues, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing the board itself and whether or not I'll need to rewax it
(as I haven't ordered any wax yet :v:)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

I was actually just wondering about crokinole earlier today, actually. Is it easy enough to learn the basics?
And also, are there any places in Aus where you can get a board, which doesn't cost an arm and a leg? (Oh and how big is the board/disc? I wonder if it would pass the kallax test :v: )

Crokinole rules are literally as follows:

In turns, place a disc on the outside ring in your quarter and flick it.

If it doesn't hit an opposing disc, or finish at least partially inside the ring of pegs if no opposing disc is in play, remove it.

If a disc ever finishes moving in contact with the outside ring, remove it. If it goes out then comes back in it remains in play.

If a disc falls completely into the centre hole, remove it and it counts as 20 points.

When everyone runs out of discs, count remaining discs as follows: 5 points for the outer ring, 10 for the middle ring, 15 for the inner ring. If a disc is in two rings, score the lower number.

If there are two or four players, the team with the highest count scores points equal to their total less the other team's total. If there are three players everyone scores points equal to their count.

First team or player to 100 wins.

Final rule: once a round begins you are not allowed to move your chair and must keep one butt cheek on it at all times.

As for the Kallax test, it won't pass. A regulation tournament board has a radius of 13 inches plus 2.5 inches for the gutter. However, they do look really good hanging on the wall.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This video does a pretty good job of explaining the rules as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_cB2tyD36g

It's dead simple to learn.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Redundant posted:

Pics of mine, I didn't realize people wanted to see them. The board is a thin veneer on mdf, which makes it very flat, and mine came with a thin layer of wax. I have not waxed it at all myself, and I've played maybe a dozen or so games on it.

My board got handled pretty roughly in shipping and arrived with a cracked 20-holder and this damage to the outer lip. I did not ask them to do anything about this, because it really doesn't affect gameplay in any way. They did ship me a pair of new 20-holders right away though.

This slide too box holds the disks and acts as a scoreboard.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

While we're on the subject, this is the gliss powder I am most likely getting. I've just been waiting on my board to arrive before getting accessories.
https://crokinole.ca/collections/crokinole-accessories/products/fast-and-ultra-fast-speed-crokinole-board-powder-500-grams-each

Let me know if there are better alternatives available online, as this is what I found after researching it a bit
(Not to :can: a Gliss vs Non-Gliss arguement, I'm just going with Gliss)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

Final rule: once a round begins you are not allowed to move your chair and must keep one butt cheek on it at all times.

This is all great info! One question though, about the above. Wheelie chairs...you know what I'm thinking. :D Are they allowed, or considered dishonest? haha

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you're playing with competitive people, don't be a dodgy fucker.
If you're playing casually or with kids/family, who cares.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Numbers posted:

Whatever happened to BL?

I think he still posts just hasn't been into boardgames recently

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Insulting Detective - Thames Murders #7 - The Banker's Quietus

Longest case in terms of page count so far (roughly twice as long as the previous two) and it made for a good change of pace since leads kept opening up. The case is solid but it's ultimately an adaption of The Six Napoleons which is strange since all of the other cases we've done have felt original. I do like how Moriarty is becoming a bigger and bigger figure in the background of the stories though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

This is all great info! One question though, about the above. Wheelie chairs...you know what I'm thinking. :D Are they allowed, or considered dishonest? haha

You are not allowed to move your chair. If your chair moves, the shot is illegal.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Major Isoor posted:

No one should joke about the sanctity of the rules of Crokinole, it's the one constant we have left in these trying times.

For your sins, you must play ten games of Catan, as punishment, while reading Cole Wehrles breakdown and suggested histories of colonial politics in Afghanistan, as enlightenment.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

threelemmings posted:

No one should joke about the sanctity of the rules of Crokinole, it's the one constant we have left in these trying times.

For your sins, you must play ten games of Catan, as punishment, while reading Cole Wehrles breakdown and suggested histories of colonial politics in Afghanistan, as enlightenment.

Punishment would be having to read Phil Eklund's footnotes for every game.

I'm now imaging him making his own extensive notes in the margins for Catan, FCM, Sorry, Hungry Hungry Hippo, Don't Wake Daddy.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Quixotic1 posted:

Punishment would be having to read Phil Eklund's footnotes for every game.

I'm now imaging him making his own extensive notes in the margins for Catan, FCM, Sorry, Hungry Hungry Hippo, Don't Wake Daddy.

Ah see that would have been a clever take on the duality of man, instead I just took whatever the threads been on about these last few days.

Also for those that want a more casual Crokinole, play cornhole: Crokinole with beers.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’ve never played Crokinole before, and yet I’m in the process of making 4 boards as we speak...

There are some fun parts of the process, but also a ton of annoying “do this tiny step and then stop and wait until tomorrow”. Lots of waiting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stop reminding me that I need to wax my board at some point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Elysium posted:

I’ve never played Crokinole before, and yet I’m in the process of making 4 boards as we speak...

Why? Why four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Doing veneer I assume? Yeah, veneer is fiddly as all gently caress but it and marquetry looks amazing if you're good with the knife/scroll saw.

Amy kind of glue up and wait is my bane with wood, I'm used to steel so showing up the next morning and seeing the wood just turned a different shape overnight makes me scream (and buy more clamps).