Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

oldpainless posted:

How ironic that the Japanese, such a small people, make such a surprisingly large truck.

It is pretty funny that only a few short decades ago Toyota was synonymous with "lmao tiny car from the inscrutable East"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is the means of production in this argument?

Is it still the means of production?

If so that actually kinda makes sense. A good post. Yes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's penises. It's a pro-dildonic philosophy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Means of reproduction then. Close enough.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

What is the means of production in this argument?

Is it still the means of production?

If so that actually kinda makes sense. A good post. Yes.

The means of reproduction, also property. Welcome to Marxist feminism, a thing that already exists and has for a long time.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's penises. It's a pro-dildonic philosophy.

Uteri. Those things that grow babies and men use to subjugate and exploit half the population over in order to control access to.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Sep 29, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

there wolf posted:

The means of reproduction, also property. Welcome to Marxist feminism, a thing that already exists and has for a long time.

Even if you don't go that far like, the idea that gender conflict and indeed the existence of gender is predicated on the imbalance of power between the two genders and that resolving that imbalance would eliminate much of the structure of the division and that is desirable because the division holds prevents both from truly self actualizing is like... yes, correct, good, do that thing.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought they don’t use pounds in Europe anymore

They measured it in kg? :shrug:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

They measured it in kg? :shrug:

It was a bag of ice from the UK. The price shown was £1.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I guess there just aren't enough movies about the secret service and how they operate

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We also need bad enough dudes to rescue the president after he gets kidnapped by ninjas.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

there wolf posted:

Tartans are one of the best examples of negative cultural appropriation. Scots did make and wear tartans maybe even going back to before Roman times, and different patterns may have had different regional associations which may have been starting to turn to clan/military associations during the 18th century. Then the English passed a law banning tartan (and other Gaelic customs) as a way to suppress Scottish independence during the Jacobite rebellions.Then forty years later after the Jacobites imploded, the law was repealed after a bunch of rich fucks in London lobbied for it, leading to it becoming a fashionable craze with spawned the whole false history with clan tartans and all that stuff.

So the Scots had a product of their culture, the tartan, banned by the English as a direct attack on their cultural identity as Scots. Then when the threat of Scottish rebellions was gone, the English brought Tartans back and invented a whole fanciful history for them that flattered the English image of highland Scots and their culture.

At what point does that, itself, become historical culture though? Like sure, Clan MacGobshite decided that pattern was their "Clan Tartan" in like 1830, but it's been a couple centuries and they've been consistent with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Silly Newbie posted:

At what point does that, itself, become historical culture though? Like sure, Clan MacGobshite decided that pattern was their "Clan Tartan" in like 1830, but it's been a couple centuries and they've been consistent with it.

Well, it is historical culture. In the same way that the tartans were established as proto-tourist tat is also historical culture.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Well the one time I was there the Secret service guys looked like work experience, but I guess there's some bigger boss guys the further you get in

BoonyPC has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Sep 30, 2020

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BoonyPC posted:

Well the one time I was there the Secret service guys looked like work experience, but I guess there's some bigger boss guys the further you get in

And even if you beat that guy, the president just gets in his mech and hunts you down

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Where I live, big trucks are a political statement and a personality type. Every oil-loving, pipeline-sucking, coal-humping racist chud has one. Women of that same group buying big trucks is always 100% "I'M nOt LiKe oThEr gIrLs".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

Where I live, big trucks are a political statement and a personality type. Every oil-loving, pipeline-sucking, coal-humping racist chud has one. Women of that same group buying big trucks is always 100% "I'M nOt LiKe oThEr gIrLs".

Got a lot of these in my town. Including the ladies with the pink camo and U JUST GOT BEAT BY A ~GIRL~ stickers. Seen a few blowing black clouds so I guess they got coal switches or whatever too. They like to drive up and down the main commercial road for hours every friday and saturday night.

What the hell kind of brain worms causes this behavior??

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Serperoth posted:

And even if you beat that guy, the president just gets in his mech and hunts you down

Pretty hosed up when senators get their own nanomachines but presidents have to make do with antique mechs

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Got a lot of these in my town. Including the ladies with the pink camo and U JUST GOT BEAT BY A ~GIRL~ stickers. Seen a few blowing black clouds so I guess they got coal switches or whatever too. They like to drive up and down the main commercial road for hours every friday and saturday night.

Lead poisoning. They're trying to pass it on, but haven't realised that unleaded fuel doesn't mutate people into chuds as effectively as leaded.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

women can internalize and express toxic masculinity as well

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

luxury handset posted:

women oppressed people can internalize and express toxic masculinity their oppression as well

fixed to show a greater truth

A lot of people don't seem to understand this. I had a guy tell me on twitter that the Proud Boys couldn't possibly be racist because their current chairman is of Cuban heritage

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

women oppressed people can internalize and express toxic masculinity their oppression be violent hateful assholes no matter what larger group they belong to as well

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

there wolf posted:

Then when the threat of Scottish rebellions was gone, the English brought Tartans back and invented a whole fanciful history for them that flattered the English image of highland Scots and their culture.

Germans - it was the British Royal Family pushing the idea with the idea that they were somehow connected to Scotland via James VI/I (they weren't, they're Germans)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Scratch Monkey posted:

:catstare:

really, you really couldn't let it sit without touching it? you had to expand it to be universal?

it's true that it is universal, and we all know this, it's inherent in the statement which is why its offensive that you felt the need to stroll in and say it.

let the statement focus on women, there was a reason the author chose for it to do so.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

:catstare:

really, you really couldn't let it sit without touching it? you had to expand it to be universal?

it's true that it is universal, and we all know this, it's inherent in the statement which is why its offensive that you felt the need to stroll in and say it.

let the statement focus on women, there was a reason the author chose for it to do so.

it's like they don't even know they're doing it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey remember that part in dark knight when batman takes fired bullet fragments and puts them back together and gets a fingerprint?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

hawowanlawow posted:

hey remember that part in dark knight when batman takes fired bullet fragments and puts them back together and gets a fingerprint?

He used a freaking minigun that was so loving COOL best movie 10/10

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"This person is a nerd sure but I don't really see what makes this po-

Ah."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/yeikoeiko/status/1311142291231444995

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

If only.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God, that reminds me of some film critique video about Midway that youtube threw at me recently. The narrator goes into detail critiquing the lack of interpersonal connections between characters in midway, goes on to provide a counter-example, then the next thing I hear is "One of the most legendary memorable relationships in all of storytelling is the one between Batman and the Joker".

Nerds, please.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

God, that reminds me of some film critique video about Midway that youtube threw at me recently. The narrator goes into detail critiquing the lack of interpersonal connections between characters in midway, goes on to provide a counter-example, then the next thing I hear is "One of the most legendary memorable relationships in all of storytelling is the one between Batman and the Joker".

Nerds, please.

midway seems like a strange film to critique for lack of interpersonal relationships given that all of the major characters in the events of the battle were in completely different locations all of the time, performing different tasks

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Perestroika posted:

Nerds, please.

As someone who recently finished Arkham Asylum, City, and half of Origins, I feel more than qualified to say that the relationship between Batman and Joker is terribly uninteresting and should never be repeated or emulated.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

jjack229 posted:

As someone who recently finished Arkham Asylum, City, and half of Origins, I feel more than qualified to say that the relationship between Batman and Joker is terribly uninteresting and should never be repeated or emulated.

You'll be glad to know that relationship is DEFINITELY not revisited in Arkham Knight.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

luxury handset posted:

women can internalize animeand express toxic masculinity as well

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Is there an issue here outside of implying that the Holocaust museum is “great” but also “a little heavy”?

Like, the idiocy is simply that the person is tactless as gently caress, right? Or am I missing something deeper?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is there an issue here outside of implying that the Holocaust museum is “great” but also “a little heavy”?

Like, the idiocy is simply that the person is tactless as gently caress, right? Or am I missing something deeper?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd say the fact that he's comparing a popular fantasy movie with a museum commemorating the real-life enslavement, torture, and execution of millions is a little more than tactless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

When you watch the film The Dark Knight you're watching a fictional story about Batman and Joker, when you go to a Holocaust Museum you're learning about the Holocaust.