Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

John F Bennett posted:

GTA 4 car handling owned, I was sad they arcaded it up for GTA 5.

I ... don't think I've ever seen this take before.

I disagree, and that's whatever, who cares, but I don't think I've seen someone praise GTAIV's car handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They're right, it was good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gta4 had the worst car handling of any video game ever made to that point and was only surpasssd in that regard when the crew was shat out onto the world

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GTA IV had awful car handling and remains the only GTA that I ever only played for just as long as it took to finish the story.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

I ... don't think I've ever seen this take before.

I disagree, and that's whatever, who cares, but I don't think I've seen someone praise GTAIV's car handling.

I enjoy GTA 4's car handling too and it's one of its redeeming features. I'm fine with more arcadey handling like in every other GTA, but I think I like that of GTA 4 more where cars feel like they have real weight.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't mind the car handling in GTA 4 but I blame it for the success of horse riding mechanics in major AAA games so I retroactively think it stinks

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Hori announced their new line of Xbox Series X/S branded peripherals, and it's about what you would expect for the most part. I like the look of the Horipad wired controller. https://stores.horiusa.com/xbox-series-x-s-1/

The thing that stuck out to me was they are releasing a "3D Surround Gaming Neckset" for $99.99: https://stores.horiusa.com/3d-surround-gaming-neckset-designed-for-xbox-series-x-s-xbox-one/

That seems interesting, but I have never heard of something like this other than that Atari Speakerhat. There's no way this is good, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gta4 had the worst car handling of any video game ever made to that point and was only surpasssd in that regard when the crew was shat out onto the world

I fired up The Crew, which starts you in the middle of driving and tapped the stick to move left and right and it so vehemently did not align with how I want driving a car to feel I uninstalled immediately.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
That neck-brace headset looks terrible, I can't think of a single good thing about it. At least it could spread out surround speakers instead of trying to bunching them up immediately around each ear, but they didn't even do that! And $100?? Is there a large market of Xbox fans with broken TV speakers and exquisite hairdos?

GTA4 driving was the best of all GTAs, The Crew is a good series (1>2 except for the freedom and graphics), but the best racing game I played was the probably forgotten Test Drive Ferrari: Racing Legends, something about the handling and AI difficulty and historic vehicles just hit the sweet spot for me at the time.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/status/1310973495405355008?s=19

Here we go again...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aaron Greenburg is teasing people who think he's teasing a Sega deal.

Gonna be real mad if Yakuza 7 gets added to gamepass at launch cause I just preordered it like an absolute moron.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

uvar posted:

I even completed the Fuel single-player campaign so I could properly unlock all the map fast travel areas and vehicles. poo poo, I think I just talked myself into finally buying Horizon 4.

'Sup Fuel buddy. :hfive: My most-played game of last gen.

It's absolutely criminal you haven't played Horizon 4 yet though. A different beast, but we're never going to see a proper sequel to Fuel.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
GTA4 is another game I need to replay. I don't think I've ever completed a GTA game, I always get too distracted by the non-mission related things and then I forget where I am and what i'm meant to be achieving. Same with Red Dead.

Been a quiet few days on the Sega rumours, I am still in doubt. Seems weird that they'd be teasing it so far ahead of it actually being announced, there were no hints before Zenimax

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I finished the GTAV singleplayer, it was deeply unpleasant but some of the missions were good. You could tell it had a lot of Max Payne 3 DNA in it.
GTA IV singeplayer was atrocious, the story was one of Rockstar's absolute worst.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Lotta posters who need to go back to Liberty city driving school, get their licenses renewed ITT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

GTA4 is another game I need to replay. I don't think I've ever completed a GTA game, I always get too distracted by the non-mission related things and then I forget where I am and what i'm meant to be achieving. Same with Red Dead.

Been a quiet few days on the Sega rumours, I am still in doubt. Seems weird that they'd be teasing it so far ahead of it actually being announced, there were no hints before Zenimax

With Sega being a public company there would ostensibly be a lot more places for leaks to come out, especially depending on the nature of the deal.

Im still leaning towards its loving nothing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

I fired up The Crew, which starts you in the middle of driving and tapped the stick to move left and right and it so vehemently did not align with how I want driving a car to feel I uninstalled immediately.

i was so optimistic about the crew because doing hours-long roadtrips with friends online sounds like a goddamn blast. the next forza horizon needs a similar map size to the crew so that we can have a game in that vein that's actually playable.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I've never come close to finishing any Rockstar game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I've never come close to finishing any Rockstar game.

Max Payne 3 is good and very short. The lack of remaster / BC is a sin.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Max Payne 3 is good and very short. The lack of remaster / BC is a sin.

I'm usually pretty cool with gamepad controls for shooters, but that one needs a KB/M, IMO

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mad Payne 3 needs a remaster now that loading should no longer be a problem. Like I don't even need anything else changed, just unfuck the loading.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Mad Payne 3 needs a remaster now that loading should no longer be a problem. Like I don't even need anything else changed, just unfuck the loading.

I finished it on PS3 and I think it had the longest load times of any game I played that gen. I'm pretty sure it was uninstalling and reinstalling bits of the game to the hard drive.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GTA IV singeplayer was atrocious, the story was one of Rockstar's absolute worst.

True, fortunately Episodes from Liberty City exist. They are the real GTA IV to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1309060318614687750

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hey, an Xbox app I might actually use!

https://twitter.com/Tzunami_Sapp/status/1309272481119830016?s=20

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/Tzunami_Sapp/status/1309272481119830016?s=20

Apple TV app coming to Xbox. Seems to be available for some Insiders right now.

Hopefully this means Apple Music comes soon.

This is ridiculous. Sony needs to deal with the reasons this keeps happening with some third-party games. Eliminates a big appeal of cross-gen games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So is the hostage trade gonna be Apple TV on Xbox and Game Pass on iOS?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

For sure

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is "AppleTV" available on any other devices already? I would have thought that they would want to restrict it, not promote it. I figured they would want to sell their $199 hardware in order to watch their bad subscription service.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Is "AppleTV" available on any other devices already? I would have thought that they would want to restrict it, not promote it. I figured they would want to sell their $199 hardware in order to watch their bad subscription service.

It's available on my Roku TV, and I think it is on other platforms as well. It works fine. It's only for watching iTunes purchases and rentals and the Apple TV streaming stuff.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking at games and noticed something I don't understand. Let's take the new Assassin's Creed for example.

You can buy it for PS4 OR PS5, but only one "Xbox", which says both "Xbox One" and "Xbox Series X" on the box.

What does that mean exactly? Does the disc identify which system I'm on and flip it to Series X mode? Sort of like how some games are XBX enhanced or not.

And if that's the case, why doesn't it work the same for playstation?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

I don't think AppleTV streaming on Xbox is important enough to give in on what looks like a pretty strategic decision on game streaming but who knows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

It's built in to loads of TVs now

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

yeah, that wasn’t working out too well for the subscription service.

Hell, 99% of what I used my ex’s ATV for was as an Airplay receiver/access point

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking at games and noticed something I don't understand. Let's take the new Assassin's Creed for example.

You can buy it for PS4 OR PS5, but only one "Xbox", which says both "Xbox One" and "Xbox Series X" on the box.

What does that mean exactly? Does the disc identify which system I'm on and flip it to Series X mode? Sort of like how some games are XBX enhanced or not.

Yeah. Anything tagged with "Smart Delivery" will work across all Xbox One consoles and Xbox Series consoles. Same game, same save, it just downloads the assets the device you are playing on needs. This does not apply to every game because the publisher has to support the feature.

quote:

Some games do work essentially like how Xbox does it, such as Sackboy: A Big Adventure and Spider-man: Miles Morales. There are quite a few games that are giving next-gen upgrades for free for owners of the PS4 version.

The challenge right now is the communication around how saves work because there appears to be something going on with the way PSN and Sony handle games and assigning them internal identifiers. It's a mess. Some games are doing cross-gen saves, some are doing partial saves, and some aren't allowing it at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If Apple wants to sell some AppleTV boxes they should make a normal remote for it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Correct. You stick the disc in, it detects your hardware, you install then play the Bone, BoneX, SeS, or SeX version of the game. Since these are treated as one title, your saves work across all of these whichever way you go playing. Be warned, not all games have to follow this setup; if they say "dual platform" instead of "smart delivery" it means gently caress you pay me for the new system version.

For playstation I don't think anyone knows for sure but the rumor is Playstations back end doesn't work that way, that every title and region is a separate sku and therefore saves can't cross because the cloud save system isn't setup to see them as the same product.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 30, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the explanations. I see the 'smart delivery' text on the box now. I feel like they could have come up with a better term for this. Amazon's UI isn't helping here either.

I noticed Miles Morales could be bought on PS4 or 5, but 4 actually comes with the code for 5 instead of being automatic. And the saves transfer.

Altogether it's a confusing purchasing experience.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

A good chunk of "cross-gen" games on Xbox (namely the "Smart Delivery" titles) are being distributed as a single retail package. This is largely still unconfirmed, but the belief is that these packages will contain a single disc that installs the Xbox One version on an Xbox One and installs the Series X version on a Series X. This will most likely work by being able to pull from shared assets on the disc, although we don't currently what happens for games where the Series X version is meant to be larger than 50 gigs; will you just have to download the difference and be told to go gently caress yourself like with Halo MCC and Halo 5 and Gears of War 5 and Forza Motorsport 7 and countless others? Will there be multiple discs inside the package, since that's a thing now?

What some devs have been saying online is that the PS5 is much easier to develop for overall, however the "store infrastructure" side of things is far more of a clusterfuck than it is on Xbox e.g. on PlayStation you have to build separate patches for each SKU of the game, with retail and digital being different, as well as each regional SKU and there can be a LOT of these especially since PlayStation has a much more commanding worldwide presence than Xbox does (e.g. many games don't bother releasing Korean/Chinese/Japanese SKUs in Japan because there's zero market there).

This is causing a frustrating ripple effect in terms of how saves work between PS4 versions of games and PS5 versions, made all the worse because we know this is a solvable problem given some PS4->PS5 migrations are fine and we even had totally functional PS3-PS4-Vita cross-save back in 2014. Seems when Sony said they believed in generations they weren't loving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

remember transfarring