Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Burginator posted:

I'm stuck at work right now, and all I want to do is be back in my room playing more Hades. I'm *shocked* at how polished this game is. I've got about 7? wins under my belt now, though, and I'm feeling like I've unlocked most of the stuff in the game already. I'll still run this game into the ground, but am I basically just hunting down conversations at this point?

the hidden weapon aspects are probably the biggest thing you have left other than the dialogue and sidequests yeah

(there are a lot of sidestories)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PantsBandit posted:

I've been running God's Legacy instead of God's Pride because I want to see the legendaries and duos. But after several losses due in part to horrible boons I think it's time to switch back, it just isn't worth the chance of rolling a bunch of crap greys.
yeah that was pretty much my point several pages back. Duos are fairly common on their own (asuming you haev hte pre-reqs) and Fated Persuasion here and there really helps. Legendaries can be great but the meat and potatoes of a solid, better than average, build is rare/epics out the wazoo. having a bunch of lovely whites just blows even if it means you get that legendary 1 in 6 runs instead of 1 in 5.

either are fine, but just to juice your win rate a little more, on average, Legacy wins out. that said it is cool finally getting a legendary but fated persuasion helps and the chance to get one, assuming you've already seen that god like 3x already, is not that low on it's own.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
secret boss was a lot more of a push over because I happened to have a shield on me

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

No Wave posted:

Ha ha... it is certainly not permanent. Just do it 10 more times to finish the card codex entry!

...lame

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

My current sub-optimal thing I’m doing is trying to fight Charon twice for the Hermes quest. I’ve fought him once and lost in ~60 runs. As I understand, you can only steal from him from a mid-Asphodel/Elysium shop, and those don’t generally don’t seem worth it unless I’m in need of healing or I’m flush with cash.

I just got my first Charon kill the second time fighting him! And speaking of suboptimal, it was a mid-Asphodel run with Forced Overtime giving the 20% speed boost and a Chaos curse increasing damage received by 27%! He could kill me in two hits.

I used the Hera bow and trying out with having my blood stones automatically returned. I had Ares’ blade rift cast, and the dual boon with Artemis that caused it to seek enemies. This helped me focus on dodging and slowly snipe him down. I entered the fight with full health in the mid-one hundreds, and left having used all my Death Defiance and one hit away from death.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Going to agree the quest algorithm is busted for late game.

I have 74 total runs with 44 successful clears. I am sitting there having maxed out the amount of nectar and ambrosia I can give and it just won't finish the last few things left. Achilles and Patroclus quest is being drawn out by the random generator bullshit. I will get one relevant piece of dialogue, and then have 2-3 runs with non-exclamation mark dialogue from either of them bringing it to a crawl. I haven't even triggered Hypnos quests despite maxing out his nectar like 20 runs ago? All of the gods have been sitting maxed out nectar wise, but only two of them allowed me to actually allowed me to give Ambrosia, which happened completely randomly, and the last time this happened was probably 10 runs ago.

I'd really like to see the rest of the narrative content in this game but this quest randomness is making it a tedious slog to do so.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 30, 2020

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gamerofthegame posted:

secret boss was a lot more of a push over because I happened to have a shield on me

also the final boss

wtf, shield

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I too ran through the secret and final bosses with a shield, by hitting them in the face and forgetting it can block shots :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blizzardvizard posted:

How do you trigger the epilogue quest, anyway? I'm about 40-50 wins in and mom and dad are still just chilling in the house. Do I need to beat Extreme Measures 4 or something?

Is the epilogue quest the prophecy where you deliver the invitations to each god? If so, I can confirm you do not need to beat Extreme Measures 4 as I have the prophecy but have only just unlocked EM4 and have yet to even attempt it let alone beat it. I have no idea what the actual triggers are, although someone I think mentioned it might be to do with getting bonds with most of the gods? I played a ton of early access and have bonds with all of them except Hermes and Demeter so maybe that's it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hello I would like to post that I escaped successfully for the first time tonight

it turns out that the high damage, hard to hit with casts like dionysus' are very good with the hera bow

though probably a lot of that is my player skill increasing because I made it to the final boss again pretty easily with a much much worse build two tries later (though I died)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Well, that answers a question I had about poms and maybe slightly to the extent we can expect to see this game receive future updates.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...2 almosts in a row.

run 1 I should have finished but I screwed up 2 times. 1st was after the hydra I was super low on health and didn't notice. Took a bad angle to the exit and took lava damage. And lost a life. Then I screwed up on one of my boons and chose the wrong one by accident which lowered my DPS. Lost on phase 2 at about 25%. Yeah.

Run 2 was with the gun. Miraculously I got to phase 2 around 60%. That was after buying death resets a couple times and resetting my deaths w/ the guy in zone 3. I think I died 7 times on this run maybe 8. I'm not good with the gun at all. I think I would have done better if I took the final fight slower and plinked away from a distance. But he kept summoning armored chariots and I kinda freaked out.

Maybe next time...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do you get anything for big streaks? I’m on a 15 win streak and it’s making me play super carefully with my builds and heat selection because I don’t want to lose it where before I was just trying new combos constantly

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I’ve been using all my nectar and ambrosia on the summon unlock characters and now that those are finishing up do I just give them to whoever I want? I assume you eventually want to max everyone

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do you get anything for big streaks? I’m on a 15 win streak and it’s making me play super carefully with my builds and heat selection because I don’t want to lose it where before I was just trying new combos constantly

Don't think so, I've gone 20+ before getting greedy with extreme measures 4 and didn't notice any difference during or after

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like Dark Souls in that respect: slow down. Watch the bosses and go for the safe hits.

Slow...down?????

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanatos is a kill stealing punk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

veni veni veni posted:

Thanatos is a kill time stealing punk

dude stands around for too long before and after the encounter and costs me precious seconds as i bash my head against 32 heat

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nyx is my real mom gently caress off Persephone

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Zeus attack and Artemis Support Fire on Fists 4 Life

Also I've finally gotten all of Ares' boons and just need to get his bond done, and I will never have to make any build of his work ever again. For a war god, his unique mechanic sure scales badly into lategame without the stacking support boon.

Sadly I still have to do it with Dionysus...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZJiWMHfEg

7 minute 40 second any heat speed run clear for those into watching nonsense like this. Interestingly, he goes up to 12 heat; Forced Overtime 1 makes sense I guess just cause enemies will actually get to you faster, but interestingly he also turns on Extreme Measures 2! The maxed Tight Deadline is probably just for fun? I dunno.

Anyway, fists applying Doom and then instantly triggering it with Reflect Dashes and Specials through an Ares/Athena Duo is pretty wild.

Obviously speedruns will be pretty RNG dependent, but it's fun to see people pushing the limits and short enough that you don't feel too bad for someone trying for an hour for a great set of rooms.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 30, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I got this game yesterday and managed to beat Hades for the first time on run #10, after losing to his first stage on two consecutive runs and his second stage on the next one (:negative:).

The bow with the Athena boon for special deflect is broke as gently caress but maybe that'll even out once I start turning up the heat, I guess?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

This was just... nonsense. I had five missiles of death going and killed the final boss in 30 seconds.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Martman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZJiWMHfEg

7 minute 40 second any heat speed run clear for those into watching nonsense like this. Interestingly, he goes up to 12 heat; Forced Overtime 1 makes sense I guess just cause enemies will actually get to you faster, but interestingly he also turns on Extreme Measures 2! The maxed Tight Deadline is probably just for fun? I dunno.

Anyway, fists applying Doom and then instantly triggering it with Reflect Dashes and Specials through an Ares/Athena Duo is pretty wild.

Obviously speedruns will be pretty RNG dependent, but it's fun to see people pushing the limits and short enough that you don't feel too bad for someone trying for an hour for a great set of rooms.

Ares + Athena was the old Chaos Shield speedrun strat, it's VERY strong, you're just gonna have a hard time hitting all the required boons to make it explode everything.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Strobe posted:

The bow with the Athena boon for special deflect is broke as gently caress but maybe that'll even out once I start turning up the heat, I guess?

It's really good in certain circumstances (it trivialises the miniboss room full of witches in Asphodel for example) but other boons such as doom or hangover might be better in terms of raw damage output. All depends on your build.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

dude stands around for too long before and after the encounter and costs me precious seconds as i bash my head against 32 heat

while he steals seconds just before leaving, Afaik in the encounter time is paused so you probably actually gained time in his room

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yes, the timer is stopped in Thanatos encounters except for those final seconds, so if you feel that it would be too risky or not worth the 25 max health you get for winning, you can just sit back and let your boyfriend do all the killing for you and accept the free room reward.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ares + Athena is very good, the evidence:

I basically just spammed dash-attacks from A2 onwards.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
blitz shield + zeus lightning strike on special/Jolting damage feels like cheating because you can just hide behind a rock and watch everything die

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I am right to think that Hidden Aspects restrict the Daedalus choice pool? My runs with hidden aspect weapons all feel very samey, especially on the sword and the rail.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Some of the hidden aspects are incompatible with some hammers that work with other aspects, but they also all come with a few unique hammer options. Some of the normal aspects are also incompatible with certain hammers, so it's a bit of a wash overall.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

cheetah7071 posted:

hello I would like to post that I escaped successfully for the first time tonight

it turns out that the high damage, hard to hit with casts like dionysus' are very good with the hera bow

though probably a lot of that is my player skill increasing because I made it to the final boss again pretty easily with a much much worse build two tries later (though I died)

Fun tip, if you take the dio/demeter duo boon that modifies the dio cast it instant places it instead of throwing it!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I did my first not hand held (god mode) run with bow and yeah this game rules when you get a build going. I had athena’s aid + starting with a partial god gauge + hermes’ dodge after a call + Hermes dodge all the time.

So I started every chamber with 3 seconds of invulnerability followed by 10 seconds of 50%+ dodge and damage which allowed me to fill the bar enough to cycle it endlessly.

Man first and only death was against Hades in his second phase because at that point I could just stand still and burn him down before he could actually get anywhere near to kill me.

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1311291787349164033?s=21

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not really sure if the hidden aspects have an increased % to see their unique choices. I seem to see greater consecration a whole lot on Arthur.

Sword specifically does have a significantly reduced pool, three of the normal options are taken out and another one won't show up if you've taken greater consecration.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Since there are a lot of people new to the game, I think I have some general advice in terms of runs if you wanna push Heat the easy way (AKA going for speed):

- The timer stops running when you pause the game. You can use that to your favor when deciding which room you wanna go to next, or if you wanna buy something from Charon.

- Enemies attacking faster actually works to your benefit, they'll chase you down if they need to and that means you don't have to chase them! Takes a bit to get used to playing the game on Turbo, but once you do it's basically free Heat, and it helps you clear faster.

- Your rerolls are your friend. Generally, you wanna have a general idea of what you wanna get with your weapon (Cast boons with Hera Bow, for instance). If you see a God that doesn't fit with your plan, reroll. You don't need Zeus if you're running Hestia Rail, and even if you reroll into Dionysius, at least you have a Privileged Status enabler now. This also applies to your starting boon. A focused build means you kill poo poo quicker, and having a good start means you have extra time to do the next act.

- There are some general Good Boons for speed. One of them is Athena Dash, which is stupid good and IMHO it's almost always an insta-pick. Artemis Call is VERY STRONG when full. Like, "skips one phase of A2 boss" strong. Like, "3k damage on the last boss" strong. If you don't have a plan for your Call, try it out. Of course, always pick Hermes when available, and always pick extra dashes if he gives them to you.

- Ah, by the way: you can only get two Hammers and two Hermes rooms per run. You're guaranteed to get the second Hammer in A3 if you haven't found it yet, so if you see it for sale and you can use the gold somewhere else/it's not immediately going to make you stronger, just let it be. Hermes should be picked whenever he shows up if you're going for speed tho. Except in bonus rooms, ain't nobody got time for that.

Dias fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 30, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have absolutely gotten more than two Hermes rooms per run. I just finished a run with faster attack, casts drop quicker and gems instantly return.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The third Hermes boon is only available in Styx iirc.

Also, bringing up the Fated Persuasion/Authority debate from a few pages ago, Styx's layout massively favors Authority. You can basically get 3-4 of the same thing over and over, whether it's hearts poms boons or gold, if you reroll intelligently. Meanwhile Persuasion will get you the boon you want, singular, assuming the god spawns at all.

Also imo, the anvil is a massive trap. I've had a run where both hammers where 'meh', so I thought I had nothing to lose by taking the anvil. It proceeded to give me cursed slash (-70% hp, 2hp per swing) and big chop (slow swings...), right before Extreme Measures 4. Ooooops.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Anvil is great.... for filling out prophecies.

I think Fated Persuasion is just too strong with Chaos rooms to pass up. If it weren't for chaos it would be a tough choice (especially because the cap for starting authority is 8 and the cap for persuasion is 4).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

The third Hermes boon is only available in Styx iirc.

Also, bringing up the Fated Persuasion/Authority debate from a few pages ago, Styx's layout massively favors Authority. You can basically get 3-4 of the same thing over and over, whether it's hearts poms boons or gold, if you reroll intelligently. Meanwhile Persuasion will get you the boon you want, singular, assuming the god spawns at all.

Also imo, the anvil is a massive trap. I've had a run where both hammers where 'meh', so I thought I had nothing to lose by taking the anvil. It proceeded to give me cursed slash (-70% hp, 2hp per swing) and big chop (slow swings...), right before Extreme Measures 4. Ooooops.

Yeah, only two Hermes rooms, you can get a third Hermes boom from the Styx shop, unless something changed. You should probably get it if you have the gold too.

And I've also hosed up a run by buying the anvil, haha, I didn't know it was a hammer reroll. Lesson learned.

Fated Persuasion is good IF you get the Gods you want. Authority feels a lot more consistent, especially because outside of Chaos you can always just reroll for the same God again until you hit what you wanna hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

On anvils I think it's actually fairly safe on fists. If you're ok with serrated point spear is somewhat safe. Shield's pretty ok as well if you are fine with the bull rush projectile.

Bow and rail are pretty volatile with the range/charge modifiers and sword has cursed slash so I'd avoid those.