Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mr. Fix It posted:

when i first held my son, i was overcome with the realization that one day i would die. that one day, god willing, this boy would bury me. i can only imagine that robert now feels the same way after his pod son garrison hosted like an old hand.

The only thing Robert wants is for Garrison to lead a coup and take over his pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Testekill posted:

The only thing Robert wants is for Garrison to lead a coup and take over his pods.

Only so that he can plan his counter-coup and take them back

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Where has Billy Wayne been lately? The recent guests have been great, but that dude is awesome.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The way Robert says BILLY WAAAYNE is my favorite.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking to a comment made at the end of the last episode, I'd love an episode on Matt Drudge.

Also somewhat related to Focus on the Family, when I was in college Ralph Reed came by campus to give a talk, though I have no idea why given this was a really small, very liberal Quaker school. I had the dubious honor of talking with him for a few minutes in the student union before I realized who he was. Now that's another good nominee for a BtB episode.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Even though I am sure that this Cecil Rhodes ep will go horribly horribly wrong, I am already fully on board 20 mins in with the combination of Robert's British accent and Prop's energy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Weird question: I always listen to Behind the Bastards but don’t always listen to Worst Year Ever. Tonight I started up the latest episode of WYE and in the first two ad segments I’ve heard 3 ads for hospice services (the second time it was just the same ad twice). I know that the ads are targeted based on the local election ads I’ve heard in the past, and literally yesterday my mom emailed me and my sister about starting to talk about hospice care for my dad. Is this a really weird coincidence that just happened because BtB and WYE have different ad sets and I don’t listen often to the latter or am I gonna have to go turn off some “please take all my private information” settings on my phone?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most recent WYE is absolutely chock full of information, I consider myself pretty plugged in and there were multiple things here I hadn’t heard of.

I also got a commercial for a podcast that was so upsetting I took out my headphones and threw them across the room! It was a podcast about how to handle missing out on the social, fun part of college in times of COVID. Powerful “Ring by Spring” energy

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

DC Murderverse posted:

Weird question: I always listen to Behind the Bastards but don’t always listen to Worst Year Ever. Tonight I started up the latest episode of WYE and in the first two ad segments I’ve heard 3 ads for hospice services (the second time it was just the same ad twice). I know that the ads are targeted based on the local election ads I’ve heard in the past, and literally yesterday my mom emailed me and my sister about starting to talk about hospice care for my dad. Is this a really weird coincidence that just happened because BtB and WYE have different ad sets and I don’t listen often to the latter or am I gonna have to go turn off some “please take all my private information” settings on my phone?

I have been getting those hospice ones pretty relentlessly as well recently, and other than having parents in their 60's with no major health issues, I can't imagine why they would personalize that for me. Seems to me like someone is just paying a premium like those flood of Bloomberg ads.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
"We are ruled by an incestuous warren of demons."

Holy poo poo that stopped me dead in my tracks, I'm still laughing about it now. Is that from something or a Robert Evans original?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I either get no ads at all, ads for other podcasts, or ads for online therapy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read Robert Rotberg's book on the creation of Zambia and Malawi for my dissertation research. Came out shortly after those countries became independent in the mid-60s but was a pretty good political history.

If anyone's interested in how Rhodes was remembered into the 1930s, there's a 1936 British biopic of him called Rhodes of Africa, starring Walter Huston. It's available on YouTube (actually used to be streaming on Netflix until not too long ago, surprisingly) and the end is basically Paul Kruger forgiven Rhodes for the Jameson Raid, then smash cutting to the end of the Boer War to show how Kruger forgiving Rhodes led to the unity of the white races in Africa. Lobengula is also played by Lobengula's actual nephew.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i've been getting ads for mayo pete's and hillary's podcasts on some other iheart joints. i'm lucky i'm working at home alone cuz most of the time i start screaming until i'm able to hit the ahead 30 seconds button.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

just got to cite Behind the Police in a paper for my American Public Policy paper about police reform

it's some good rear end work

edit: the podcast, not my paper, that sucked I wrote it in like 2 hours

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grand Fromage posted:

I either get no ads at all, ads for other podcasts, or ads for online therapy.

Yeah, same. I don't think I've heard an ad on WYE for weeks now

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Mostly ads for other podcasts, sports podcasts for some reason, I don't like or follow sports. And some ads to join a university, I'm already at another university.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I once got an add for an anti-vaxx podcast.

I was a bit more than upset at that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This Talia Levin interview on WYE is one of the best episodes all year she’s really something else! I don’t think I’ve ever generated this much respect for a human being after just listening to them talk for an hour. Anyone read her book yet?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea I marathoned it yesterday. It’s good.

I haven’t listened to the episode yet but Talia is a good follow on Twitter.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just listened to the Jordan Peterson episodes. A lot new in there for me, especially the first one, and I liked the comparison of Peterson to Joseph Campbell. But I do have one quibble about the end of the second episode. As far as I know, Mikayla Peterson isn't married to the pick-up artist, the PUA is the guy she's seeing on the side, after having left her husband in Russia to look after Jordan while she went clubbing in Serbia.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just surprised they didn't go into the weird grandma incest dream from Maps of Meaning.

Then again, it's the kind of thing so hard to slot in, it would require a segue clunkier than Robert's ad transitions. :v:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 22, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm just surprised they didn't go into the weird grandma incest dream from Maps of Meaning.

Then again, it's the kind of thing so hard to slot in, it would require a segue clunkier than Robert's ad transitions. :v:

You know who won't gently caress your grandma?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Raytheon 100% will

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

poly and open-minded posted:

Raytheon 100% will

odds are it probably already has

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Emphasis mine

GunFondler42069 at about 50 min in to Satanic Panic posted:

Dissociation is a thing that happens when you under, when you're dealing with PTSD right? Like, We've all dealt with it. Like, It's a loving thing. But it doesn't involve forgetting the horrible thing that happened right?
:raise:This seems to disagree with what my therapist has told me.

GunFondler42069 immediately after the above quote posted:

(Heartbreaking clarification)
:stonk::hf::stonklol:
:sympathy:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The podcast Failed State Update just did a few episodes on a specific case from the Satanic Panic involving a group called the Finders, and how both the Finders and the law enforcement panic about them prefigured QAnon, for those interested in more content along these lines.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If we’re getting deep into the most heart breaking and disturbing aspects of the Panic, then at least I hope we get into the silly as gently caress “Proctor and Gamble is Satanic, look at their logo” bit to balance it out. That debacle was probably the most QAnon-like event of the panic.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 27, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you haven’t had your fill of talk about the satanic panic, the book We Believe the Children has a little more about what was going on outside of California and does a good job tying the panic to the larger cultural shift towards conservatism happening at the time (which, because they facilitated working women, daycares were a common target of)

Also I don’t think it would quite warrant a Behind the Bastards because it’s super sketch but the case that got me interested in reading about these cases is the Boys Town orphanage in Omaha, and one Larry King (not that Larry King though). I think the most believable part of that one, and why it felt plausible to me in a way that others didn’t, is because it reframed it as a Republican child trafficking ring, up to and including at least one Bush White House. Although I think time and QAnon’s rise has made me realize that targeting political opponents with wild, evidence-light claims of trafficking are bad, especially when there are plenty of politicians where there are actual evidence of potential misconduct (Trump, Clinton, etc)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Listening to the second Satanic Panic episode made me realize how much overlap there was between the Satanic Panic and the explosion of alien abduction lore happening at the same time in the 1980s. Not only the actual accounts (repressed memories, quasi-medical experiments, reproduction, etc.) but also the methodology of people promoting it (hypnosis, gaslighting, even Oprah promotion). Does anyone know of any article or book that looks at this connection?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mikhailaaleksis/status/1322676610139627520?s=21

The Earth is a Cold & Dead Place

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's Lobstertainment!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

Listening to the second Satanic Panic episode made me realize how much overlap there was between the Satanic Panic and the explosion of alien abduction lore happening at the same time in the 1980s. Not only the actual accounts (repressed memories, quasi-medical experiments, reproduction, etc.) but also the methodology of people promoting it (hypnosis, gaslighting, even Oprah promotion). Does anyone know of any article or book that looks at this connection?

I'm not sure if theres a direct correlation, the alien abduction getting popular is mostly because of the internet starting and it allowing for a conspiracy mythos to really solidify amongst a wide population

Even then, alien abductions had been already been associated with sexual abuse, repressed memories, and experimentation well before the satanic panic in the mainstream (just look at Barney and Betty Hill abduction from the 1960s).

It definitely gets welded together in the 90s by Alex Jones and the white nationalist christian patriot movement in the 90s though

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 2, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

But a lot of that is the developments in the UFO culture starting in the late 1970s from people like Budd Hopkins, Paul Bennewitz, Stanton Friedman, and John Lear. I mean, the Hills did have the element of hypnosis and the putative pregnancy test for Betty, but there wasn't really anything "experimental" beyond that, and no hybridization or the like. That's all stuff that really begins to emerge with Hopkins' 1981 Missing Time, who also cements the idea that aliens will walk into your bedroom at night, the idea that "phantom pregnancies" are alien impregnation and then harvesting them, and standardizes the Grey look and particularly sets up networks of hypnotic memory retrieval of abductees that sounded exactly like the Satanic Panic hypnotists.

And the same time there's the Dulce Base theory that's emerging with a network of government insiders who are selling out American children to aliens living in underground tunnels, the "ritual" mutilation of animals, kids being abducted to see their missing "siblings" on alien ships, etc. All of which is introduced to the UFO lore in the 1980s at this exact time. Even Area 51/Roswell is from the late 1970s, with its cabal of pro-alien government figures hiding the truth from honest Americans.

If anything, I think modern UFO culture tends to be a lot more from this than from the 1940s/50s/60s UFO culture which was a lot more nuts and bolts in their approach, and were very apprehensive about even talking about who were actually inside the ships. A lot of UFO people in the 60s were very wary of the Hills for that reason, talking about the ships was one thing, but talking about the occupants was beyond the pale for them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziw4yd5R0QI

the greatest post rock album of all time begs to differ.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Really hoping today’s WYE’s intro is just progressively louder and incomprehensible because boy I’m feeling it

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
gently caress some of these I Heart Radio podcast ads sound like some GTA skits on a Liberal talk show radio station....

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They have one that’s like “an inside look at the life of CEOs!” That is such mask-off Corpo-fluff it’s dizzying. I love this team and all their content but iHeartRadio also houses some of the absolute worst ideas for shows I’ve ever heard.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the one about how CitiBank is there to help you through these hard times. I heard another one that was basically a short interview with some financial company PR person about how feminism has impacted female investment girlbosses.

The one from the Mental Floss guy about gardening is also pretty bad, but mainly just because I feel like I can actually hear the smirk in his voice.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm starting to see why people say that True Crime podcasts are catnip to white women, why else would there be that many out there,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I live in rural Michigan in an office where credibility works backwards and only stories from people you know personally carry any weight. Experts? You don't know them. They could be lying. Not like my Facebook friend, who is a doctor that I know personally through Facebook. This results in me having to sit there while someone repeats a FWD:FWD:FWD: email, claiming their friend said it. They haven't yet told me that they know a veteran who tackled an atheist professor, but it's only a matter of time.

This is all to say that I have started referring to Robert as "my friend in Portland" to save time. Sorry about the troubling parasocial relationship, Robert.