Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

I mean if you arrest revolver ocelot this kind of thing will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:ocelot:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love that the diagram still doesn't show how he shot himself in the neck.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought this was a reasonable analysis

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/27/keir-starmer-labour-minority-votes-red-wall-tory?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

His response to BLM sucked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

He's a cop and therefore racist

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah it was very telling that his strongest statement on BLM issues was that "black people MUST trust the police"

But yeah he was a major part of covering up police malfeasance for years. The one thing that seems certain about him is he's an authoritarian

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah it was very telling that his strongest statement on BLM issues was that "black people MUST trust the police"

But yeah he was a major part of covering up police malfeasance for years. The one thing that seems certain about him is he's an authoritarian

Like I said, electable!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

therattle posted:

Like I said, electable!

oh he's the most electable guy they could have dreamed of

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1310914864588689408?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What happened to beget this?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Samovar posted:

What happened to beget this?

He opened his mouth on camera

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
a minister went on the radio this morning and hosed up answering the question "under the new rules for the north east can you meet other households in a pub beer garden?"

naturally, as he had a scheduled q+a in the afternoon and his minister had just been embarrassed on national radio, Boris took the thirty seconds necessary to find out the answer to that question and remember it, because the media were obviously going to ask it again "for clarification"

or not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1311035553140350977?s=20

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm sure it's not racist at all to consider sending asylum seekers to napoleon's island prison

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

she sounds like a character from horrid Henry.

do brits really use alliterative names?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

PawParole posted:

she sounds like a character from horrid Henry.

do brits really use alliterative names?

Yes, we all do, that's our culture.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

i'm sure it's not racist at all to consider sending asylum seekers to napoleon's island prison

I thought he was on Elba and St Helena.

Either way, it’s absolutely disgusting, punitive and cruel. Priti P all the way through. poo poo on people who are already vulnerable and traumatised because it’ll make good headlines. Revolting.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

therattle posted:

Either way, it’s absolutely disgusting, punitive and cruel. Priti P all the way through. poo poo on people who are already vulnerable and traumatised because it’ll make good headlines. Revolting.

when u think about it, wasn't bonaparte himself an immigrant, illegally crossing borders all the time?

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Sep 29, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

therattle posted:

yes, the sub-headline makes it clear they were considering both ascension and st helena

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/870234555697029120?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

making GBS threads on refugees is good politics for the more sociopathic parts of the right and we completely fail to answer the challenge. it's extremely depressing whenever it comes up because our side goes straight for the moral imperative, and that inevitably loses to self-interest, ending with centrists just quietly adopting insane policy to stop having the conversation

it's hosed up

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of all the poo poo happening on our watch, our systematic and deliberate murder and immiseration of desperate people is probably what boils my blood the most

it's stupid and short-sighted even on its own terms and they're not even bothering to mount an actual defense. it's just malice justified by laziness

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

V. Illych L. posted:

making GBS threads on refugees is good politics for the more sociopathic parts of the right and we completely fail to answer the challenge. it's extremely depressing whenever it comes up because our side goes straight for the moral imperative, and that inevitably loses to self-interest, ending with centrists just quietly adopting insane policy to stop having the conversation

it's hosed up

making GBS threads on refugees worked so well in Australian politics it became the default platform for both major parties. I see Tony Abbott is importing the offshore prisons for brown people initiative as well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

of all the poo poo happening on our watch, our systematic and deliberate murder and immiseration of desperate people is probably what boils my blood the most

it's stupid and short-sighted even on its own terms and they're not even bothering to mount an actual defense. it's just malice justified by laziness

Completely agree with this and previous post. The lack of empathy is horrifying.

Jazerus posted:

yes, the sub-headline makes it clear they were considering both ascension and st helena

Ah, I was too enraged to read that far.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Nick Thomas-Symonds, the shadow home secretary, said: “This ludicrous idea is inhumane, completely impractical and wildly expensive. So it seems entirely plausible this Tory government came up with it.”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1311224457483218947?s=19

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

therattle posted:

Nick Thomas-Symonds, the shadow home secretary, said: “This ludicrous idea is inhumane, completely impractical and wildly expensive. So it seems entirely plausible this Tory government came up with it.”

that would be more convincing if i knew the labour party wouldn't merrily continue the prison camps

Hillary 2020 posted:

making GBS threads on refugees worked so well in Australian politics it became the default platform for both major parties. I see Tony Abbott is importing the offshore prisons for brown people initiative as well.

ah, the student becomes the master

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought that this was well put:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/30/labour-britain-braver-keir-starmer-party-social-economic-change?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Soon enough you'll have to have a WAP to cross the border of Wales.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The problem is its not like we don't know what kier is for

we know pretty conclusively he is for state power and authority, thats not nothing and its evident in pretty much everything he does. he's a true believer OR, imo less likely but better for his chances, hes a cynical monster

what these Oped types have issue with is that isnt what they want to sell him as.
they want him to be a soft-left technocrat who shows those mean antisemites what electable really means but ultimately really does make the corbynists go "oh drat, you're right, this is the better way to get left wing policies"
but that isn't what he is, so every time he calls BLM nonsense or refuses to vote against prosecuting soldiers they think its just confusing triangulation or guff instead of a clear expression of his authoritarian politics.
which you would expect given his career if journalists weren't banned from knowing what context is

i remember during the leadership election i was kinda resigned and figured i'd give him a chance but right away he was making alarm bells ring because his leaflet had AUTHORITY plastered all over it in huge letters. which i initially took as a sexist dogwhistle against RLB and .......whhhaaaaatsher- Nandy, but also reads as a very blatant pitch to the right-authoritarian blair wing

then you've also got this poo poo:

he's just a more-than-willing instrument of the state and i really dont want him to be prime minister

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Relevant Tangent posted:

Soon enough you'll have to have a WAP to cross the border of Wales.

It's Wales, everything's wet

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I remember during the Labour leadership election I was hopeful we might get someone with Corbyn's politics but not as easily crucified in the media; somehow we ended up with Blair Mark II instead

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Blair 2: he's a cop now

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

congratulations mr mp sir

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1311278736193486848?s=21

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rabelais D posted:

I remember during the Labour leadership election I was hopeful we might get someone with Corbyn's politics but not as easily crucified in the media; somehow we ended up with Blair Mark II instead
The right wing of the Labour party didn't literally sabotage their own chances of winning elections to get rid of Corbyn to have somebody who isn't an authoritarian monster put in charge

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Well at least they’re honest about it but I’m surprised it’s a skill they have to be taught.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
"I can racially profile hundreds of people an hour and not even notice", said a proud Sir Keir Starmer as he hurried past our reporter and quickly locked the doors of his car.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Constant Keir, they call him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

is.... is this good?

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1311581354769944576