Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

What's traditional? nethack, angband? Dungeons of Dredmor?

Binding of Isaac, Hades, Among Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
PUBG, Galaga, medieval combat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Plague Battle Royale

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Turin Turambar posted:

What's traditional? nethack, angband? Dungeons of Dredmor?
Serious answer: yes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've been playing Atomicrops. I had some fun, but I dropped it after not that much time, 15 hours or so. It’s doesn’t have a big variety in the experience itself.

Dracula Genesis is 33% off and it has a new update:
3 new Characters
Brand new water shader with cool reflections
When you’re irradiated, radiation on your bullets will trigger more rarely
Added weather effects that change gameplay slightly, introducing new enemies and powerups
Reworked some minibosses
You can use HP to unlock “manalocked” chests when you have no mana
Reworked many world 1 areas, added new island variants
Fury system - a way to gradually unlock more difficulty for those who feel the game is easy
Manalocked chests can now be opened with HP when you have no mana, also you can now also reroll them
New default Drakoh’s gun (experimental)
Some tier 3 relics are now tier 1 relics with slight balancing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
happy spelunky day!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goferchan posted:

happy spelunky day!

I never got into the first one and I've been looking forward to Spelunky 2 for a while!

I'm going in basically blind (I mean I know some things since I've seen Spelunky 1 gameplay and stuff) so I'm expecting this to be pretty fun. Any immediate advice for the game a total newbie should keep in mind?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I never got into the first one and I've been looking forward to Spelunky 2 for a while!

I'm going in basically blind (I mean I know some things since I've seen Spelunky 1 gameplay and stuff) so I'm expecting this to be pretty fun. Any immediate advice for the game a total newbie should keep in mind?

I've played a little on my roommate's PS4 but mostly been holding off til PC. The second game is a great place to start, the difficulty curve picks up a little quicker than Spelunky 2 but mostly seems in line with the first game. The biggest piece of advice is just go slowly and don't get greedy -- it can be fun to go for every single chest and gem on the first few levels, and once you're more experienced it can be a good strategy, but if you're dying a lot and can't seem to progress, try to make yourself ignore optional side paths and just push forward. Resource management is an important thing in the game, and while it's immediately obvious that your bombs and ropes are a resource, sometimes it takes a while to click that your health (and your risk of losing it!) is a resource as well. Before potentially putting yourself in a dangerous situation, ask yourself if it's worth it for a few gold bars or whatever.

edit: Oh and if I were you I'd immediately go to controller settings and turn off auto-run. Running moves you super fast and it's easy to get killed if you're dashing around everywhere

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goferchan posted:

edit: Oh and if I were you I'd immediately go to controller settings and turn off auto-run. Running moves you super fast and it's easy to get killed if you're dashing around everywhere

Seems like a good tip! However, the "hold to run/walk" button is not working on keyboard, although I'm sure they'll address it shortly?

I died four times already and I haven't even finished my work day.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I really need to watch that new player guide video for cogmind since I haven't played in over a year, but it's 4 hours long

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Seems like a good tip! However, the "hold to run/walk" button is not working on keyboard, although I'm sure they'll address it shortly?

I died four times already and I haven't even finished my work day.

I've been playing on controller where it works but just switched to check and wow, seems to be right, and reassigning it doesn't do anything. That's a really awful bug lol and I hope it gets fixed ASAP

edit: Yeah devs just posted on the steam forum that they're on it, should be a fix incoming

edit edit: Oh here's another good non-spoilery general tip, possibly helpful for people coming from the first game -- pissing off the shopkeeper still causes him to show up at the end of the level and try to murder you for a little while, but there are now two different levels of pissed off. If you just steal something or blow up part of the shop, he'll only be aggro for the next level or two. If you murder him, it works like the last game, and he'll try to kill you forever and ever. Also the game uses much better logic when it comes to pissing him off -- if you didn't directly cause the action that kills him or destroy the shop, you won't get labeled a criminal anymore -- this is great because it prevents some of the frustrating moments in the first game where some chain reaction would make you a criminal from halfway across the stage, and also gives you the opportunity to set up "unfortunate accidents" that let you loot the shop scot-free

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 29, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think everyone itt will be able to find something to lol at in this article

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/hades/how-hades-rescues-the-roguelike-from-its-own-limit/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Everything is a roguelike now. Everything.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/hades/how-hades-rescues-the-roguelike-from-its-own-limit/

So... its meta progression? Like binding of issac............. a 9 y.o. game.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

brand engager posted:

I really need to watch that new player guide video for cogmind since I haven't played in over a year, but it's 4 hours long

I watched it over the course of a week. Here's the takeaways:

- Don't fight in big corridors
- enemies will block other enemies so try and fight with one of them in a doorway and you at an angle so the others can't see you
- load up on storage and weapons
- always have stuff equipped. Always
- you want at least one aoe weapon available
- stick with legs to begin with
- the more propulsion items you have equipped the more you can safely carry in terms of the mass of stuff you've equipped
- try and stay on the edges of the map
- getting some key items and getting down the stairs is way more important than winning fights all the time

There's loads more and it's worth a watch, just not in one sitting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The title and byline are insane but in general the article is fair. He likes having a visual novel that takes place between runs and from what I can tell that's the part of the game that almost everyone enjoys engaging with.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

No Wave posted:

The title and byline are insane but in general the article is fair. He likes having a visual novel that takes place between runs and from what I can tell that's the part of the game that almost everyone enjoys engaging with.

his opinion on hades itself isn't the cringey part lol

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I’ve been playing Fantasy of Expedition that got linked a few pages ago. It’s incredibly addicting! I spent the first hour is so playing it not sure if I was going to refund it or not, then the entire evening has passed. It’s not suuuuuper deep, there is almost no explanation of mechanics, and the translation isn’t 100%, but I highly recommend giving it a shot if you like auto chess and rogue likes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey I vaguely remember a like, game jam roguelike or something, where you're exploring a cave? And that's all you're doing, with like, mechanics about caving, etc. Does anybody else remember that, and if so, where to find it?

EDIT: I think it was side-view instead of top down if that helps

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

his opinion on hades itself isn't the cringey part lol

Why don't you share with the class what your problem with that article was instead of leaving it as an exercise for the reader?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

Hey I vaguely remember a like, game jam roguelike or something, where you're exploring a cave? And that's all you're doing, with like, mechanics about caving, etc. Does anybody else remember that, and if so, where to find it?

EDIT: I think it was side-view instead of top down if that helps

I remember the game you’re talking about so you’re definitely not imagining it, but I don’t recall the name.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember the game you’re talking about so you’re definitely not imagining it, but I don’t recall the name.
drat I was talking somewhere else with somebody wanted like a cave exploration game and wanted to link it to them

EDIT: oh I think this is it: http://lonespelunker.com/

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So I noticed the Caves of Qud update popped, and after playing (and dying lots) for a couple days my itch for the genre has officially popped up again. Seeing as the OP is... dated... and I haven't really been involved for ~5 years, what are the go-to "great" roguelikes these days? Say, the top 5?

I assume TOME is still up there, probably DCSS too. Caves of Qud is amazing, and I've heard good things about Cogmind too (own it, haven't really ever played it). Is there any Big Game Thou Must Play I'm missing still? I've never super been into roguelites but I'm willing to listen, Enter the Gungeon was great.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not sure if trad roguelikes are dead, but for my money, all the cool action in rogue* these days is roguelites, current darling being Hades.

In shooter land land, I adore BPM, Gunfire Reborn is fun coop, as is Risk of Rain 2.

If you like cards, Monster Train and Nowhere Prophet are good. Deck of Ashes and Trials of Fire are ok.

Crying Suns and Star Renegades are in the style over substance category.

And last off, Scourgebringer launches at the end of next month.

And as for the ascii humping genre itself, I went on a Cogmind binge not too long ago and finished it, but I don't think I'm likely to go back any time soon. It's an extremely polished game, well worth exploring if you're still feeling that trad vibe, though I have mixed feelings about it for various reasons.

victrix fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 30, 2020

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Have anyone tried I, Dracula: Genesis? I've read it described as a "kitchen sink roguelite", which I would assume that it's something with lots of feature creep, but Steam reviews seem to be overall OK:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175360/I_Dracula_Genesis/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a A a

loving games journalists, i swear.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

Seeing as the OP is... dated...

We could really use a new thread. The OP is seven years old at this point.

perc2
May 16, 2020

victrix posted:

I'm not sure if trad roguelikes are dead, but for my money, all the cool action in rogue* these days is roguelites, current darling being Hades.

They're not, there's hundreds of them and discussion and community for traditional roguelikes is waaaaay bigger than it was like, 10 years ago. You've got whole wikis, subreddits, forums, development communities, games, etc. dedicated to Berlin-style, ASCII RLs that you didn't used to. The difference is the word "roguelike" has been hijacked by general indie game development to mean all kinds of things, I don't care though because I know a trad roguelike vs. a roguelite when I see one, you'll go mad trying to fight it, so the best thing is just not to give a poo poo. I'm willing to bet most game journalists have absolutely no idea about the lineage and progression of the genre... there's a hefty Medium article in the making that details their history and how we ended up here but I ain't writing it

perc2 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 30, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

goferchan posted:

happy spelunky day!

Not played Spelunky in four~ years and haven't gotten past the first zone despite being familiar with the mechanics...

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
So I started playing Trials of Fire again to see how the early access is going and I'm very impressed. It was already interesting when it launched but with the extra content there's actually tons of replayability now. Plus the gameplay changes (rework of powers and movement cards) are great.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/

Closest comparison is slay the spire and monster train. It's a combination of deckbuilding, item management and positioning. A run takes 1, 2, or 3 hours depending on the campaign you chose.

Anyone else played it?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Walh Hara posted:

Closest comparison is slay the spire and monster train. It's a combination of deckbuilding, item management and positioning. A run takes 1, 2, or 3 hours depending on the campaign you chose.

Anyone else played it?

I wouldn't say it's comparable to StS or Monster train, it's less a card game and more a combination of deckbuilding and d&d like mechanics and fights.

But I agree that it's pretty nice! They keep improving the game at a steady pace and if d&d-lite tactical combat with cards instead of dice + deckbuilding in the form of equipment and character advancement sounds good to anyone, it's a strong recommendation. Although I would say that the runs feel a bit samey after a while.

Edit: I haven't played it in a good few months, definitely need to give it a couple tries and see what is new. New character at the very least!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Edit: I haven't played it in a good few months, definitely need to give it a couple tries and see what is new. New character at the very least!

New character is great (but certainly way too strong, I expect some nerfs). The change to movement cards is very recent and has huge consequences: most movement cards give willpower now. It makes a lot of builds viable, changes the melee/range balance, and results in everybody having more willpower to do things.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Walh Hara posted:

So I started playing Trials of Fire again to see how the early access is going and I'm very impressed. It was already interesting when it launched but with the extra content there's actually tons of replayability now. Plus the gameplay changes (rework of powers and movement cards) are great.

Anyone else played it?

I've been a huge fan since the first release, their system of characters lending each other action points by burning their own cards feels much more collaborative than such games usually do. I've not had the time to check out the recent changes but they sound fascinating.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

(...) feels much more collaborative than such games usually do.

You can now put a power card on another hero! There are some silly combo's out there (adrenaline on an assassin for example).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for anyone who hasn't been paying any attention, spelunky 2 is dope as hell and also a bit harder than 1 overall if you were worried about it being too easy after maybe mastering 1

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

for anyone who hasn't been paying any attention, spelunky 2 is dope as hell and also a bit harder than 1 overall if you were worried about it being too easy after maybe mastering 1

1 kicks my rear end so that sounds miserable :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Johnny Joestar posted:

I watched Gameplay of 2 and it reminded me that hey I own 1 and I should probably play that so that's where I'm at with that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

victrix posted:

1 kicks my rear end so that sounds miserable :v:

it's the kind of difficulty where if you're careful you should still do well! it's just really good at punishing carelessness.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Aha ahah hahahah “mastering”. I’m trying to finally beat the drat thing before getting Spelunky 2. My sessions generally involve 5 or 6 runs self-bombing in mines after losing health to one too many stupid mistakes, 3 or 4 dying to some combination of tiki traps, spikes and boomerangs in jungle, and 1 dying to bullshit in ice caves or temple followed immediately by a ragequit. I have not yet seen Olmec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

spelunky 2 isn’t loving around