Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Small brain: Tories do private polling that showed/they lied about a lot of postal voters were voting Tory in the election they eventually won. They told a friendly BBC journalist so there'd be some actual good news about their campaign at a time when Boris was hiding in a fridge.

Big brain: Tories could have done some postal vote fixing, though we can't prove that.

Galaxy brain: Tories pulled off electoral fraud and told a BBC journalist so she could tip everyone off live on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Universe Glowing Chakra brain: It was Russians.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

StarkingBarfish posted:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1311248523355140097

It's just such a perfect snapshot of what centrist pundits want to believe 'our system has protected and nurtured me well so far, it cannot possibly be the case that democracy has failed me by electing someone not smart and capable, therefore this must be an act of pure political genius rather than an idiot tripping over their dick'
Johnson following the Trump Doctrine. Just exist and people will decide its clever scheming to explain your actions when in reality you're just an incompetent moron.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd rather he didn't.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

minema posted:

Two weeks ago on Monday our hospital had 4 covid patients, we now have 4 wards full of covid patients and have run out of beds for them. A&E has 40 patients who need admission to hospital. At the biggest peak last time A&E had about 5 patients in it at once and they had plenty of empty beds.

Second wave is going to feel very different from the initial peak now that we can't just put everything non-covid on pause.

They'll just cancel everything non-covid and non-cancer again. Hospitals have been allowed to do private work for months and the nightingales are still sort of available so reverting back to April strategy will mean things are somewhat managable in bed terms.

Staff terms on the other hand are going to be even worse unless people are drafted in again but even moreso than last time.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

At first glance I misread this as Universe Glowing Chukka brain.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Lobster God posted:

that's when you decide your old party isn't up to the job and you found the "New [focus group pending] Party"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at boris annihilating the UK car industry over fishing rights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54345882

quote:

The original Brexit deal negotiated by former PM Theresa May contained a route to minimise checks on what are known as "rules of origin".

That option was removed as part of the revision to the withdrawal agreement a year ago. But Lord Frost points out that the UK and EU27 car industries have jointly asked for such arrangements, including special consideration for electric vehicle exports.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Ascended mind palace of the soul: (((cultural marxists)))

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lobster God posted:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ascended mind palace of the soul: (((cultural marxists)))

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ugh, Simon Singh has signed the letter-turned-petition of "stop being mean to transphobes". drat blue tick liberals disappointing teenage maths-nerd me :(

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Being a TERF is a protected class and being mean to them is basically the same as setting up a new auchwitz for them. First they came for the racists, etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First they came for the red baiters
and I did not speak out, because I was not a red baiter
Then they came for the capitalists
and I did not speak out, because I was not a capitalist
Then they came for the union busters
and I did not speak out, because I was not a union buster
Then they came for the racists
and I did not speak out, because I was not a racist
Then they came for a pissweak soft left source for balance
and there were no more spaces left on this week's Question Time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yay regular Covid press briefings are back. I love hearing a nobody say nothing of value over and over again while refusing to answer questions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

Being a TERF is a protected class and being mean to them is basically the same as setting up a new auchwitz for them. First they came for the racists, etc

Given all the poo poo that's happening would many in this thread really object to re-education camps for the bigots?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reading the level of science on display in that JK Rowling letter and the number of terves who think the internal clitoris is a conspiracy, I think it'd be more education than re-education.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1311334834904748032?s=19

I know it's YouGov but even for this benighted poo poo heap of an island, this is an embarrassingly awful result overall.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

First they came for the red baiters
and I did not speak out, because I was not a red baiter
Then they came for the capitalists
and I did not speak out, because I was not a capitalist
Then they came for the union busters
and I did not speak out, because I was not a union buster
Then they came for the racists
and I did not speak out, because I was not a racist
Then they came for a pissweak soft left source for balance
and there were no more spaces left on this week's Question Time

:perfect:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lobster God posted:

I know it's YouGov but even for this benighted poo poo heap of an island, this is an embarrassingly awful result overall.

Yeah but you see they come over here pretending to be asylum seekers and how come it is just the men and how come they claim to be kids and have got moustaches? (sarcasm)

(Despite the fact that my friend's half Egyptian teenage daughter had a moustache at 13 years old, let alone all the lads aged over 12 in a school I used to teach at in North London who came from southern European families and despite the fact that in every civilization since the dawn of time, the men are the ones that have gone out 'foraging' or to forge a new life before the wife and kids follow.)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lobster God posted:

float a horrible idea, see how twitter react, do a yougov poll targeted at people who pick up a landline, use as evidence for support, make it happen.

Should minorities be enslaved? Should we bring back the death penalty for the working class? Do we even need a democracy? Find out more in 'the right way is somewhere in the middle'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Reading the level of science on display in that JK Rowling letter and the number of terves who think the internal clitoris is a conspiracy, I think it'd be more education than re-education.
I know it's kind of bio essentialism, but this is from a 1996 textbook (psychology, r.gross) quoting a 1979 study.

She, and everyone else banging on about two genders can gently caress off with this poo poo about it being a 'new' thing.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I know it's kind of bio essentialism, but this is from a 1996 textbook (psychology, r.gross) quoting a 1979 study.

She, and everyone else banging on about two genders can gently caress off with this poo poo about it being a 'new' thing.

after all that time of waiting for the return of Jesus and they stop the only person capable of a virgin birth, sad to see.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm guessing someone on here might know - in connection with self-employed self assessment tax:

I pay for hosting, say £450 per 3 years. In my space, I host a friend's website as well as my own and I'm charging him 1/3rd of my hosting cost so I've just invoiced him £150 for that.

Given that my friend will be offsetting this on his expenses, what do I declare for tax in relation to this?

hosting space for 3 years expenses £450, income £150, OR
hosting space for 3 years expenses £300, income £0?

because it's not really £150 income, it's expenses incurred on behalf of friend recharged. But £450 will be the invoice I pay for my hosting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do they do World Geography style questions on YouGov? Because I'd like to see how the yes/no broke down by "Point to Ascension Island on this map" answer. I think we might see a few of the people who thought Argentina was invading the islands north of Orkney surface.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hell, we've known something of the role of hormones, sexual development, and gender identity since Magnus Hirschfeld in the mid 20s, but a lot of his notes were destroyed by actual Nazis trying to hammer the world flat, which set things back a bit.

The only single study mentioned in her entire letter is the widely discredited ROGD paper, and Covid really has made it clear that many many people don't understand the difference between a good paper and some quack on YouTube, so as a point of principle quite aside from JKR being a huge bigot and people having to ignore at least a dozen dogwhistles to find her letter reasonable, perhaps there also needs to be a national conversation about legitimate sources (which may still paint an incomplete picture).

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1311278736193486848

e: chaser

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1311278719466639361

winegums fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm guessing someone on here might know - in connection with self-employed self assessment tax:

I pay for hosting, say £450 per 3 years. In my space, I host a friend's website as well as my own and I'm charging him 1/3rd of my hosting cost so I've just invoiced him £150 for that.

Given that my friend will be offsetting this on his expenses, what do I declare for tax in relation to this?

because it's not really £150 income, it's expenses incurred on behalf of friend recharged. But £450 will be the invoice I pay for my hosting.
Not self-employed or an accountant, but have worked at a hosting company, I'd go with the first one. You're reselling/subhosting effectively, no different to if you sublet a room in your office space or something, so that's still income. You have invoices for £450 out and £150 in, not £300.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lobster God posted:

And when you break the vote down by age group:

https://twitter.com/adrianongaming/status/1311335355363348481

Quelle surprise!

Seriously - every single bad, hate-filled, fear-driven, myopic, small-minded, petty, reactionary, discriminatory, short-term non-solution idea (otherwise known as 'The Conservative Party Manifesto'), it goes "18-65: Small minority supporting", "65+: Massive majority supporting". The only exception I can think of is the EU Referendum, which was a bit more of a straight line on the age/Leave releationship.

I know we joke about lead-in-the-brain, but why are pensioners collectively such angry, spiteful old fuckers? Insulated from the effects of their decisions (or politics in general)? Reliant on traditional media? The education they got - level, style and content? Just from the 'other side' of the trend for more accepting social views over the decades? All of the above?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The other 49% of 65+ are saying "seems a bit small, can't we just settle them in Keenya?"

hosed up that over a third of my age group support this poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Read first 5 words, got excited

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No its £150 income. You've 'sold' that so you have to declare it as a sale.

You would then offset this with the cost of hosting in your P&L of course.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I'm self employed, but not an accountant - I'd declare £150 as income you've invoiced, then £450 as business expenses. So you'd pay whatever tax on £150 but get 20% back/knocked off your total tax owed on the £450, it'd probably balance out like HMRC would care on a few quid.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
£150 income? Ooh get you with yer riches.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

"it's inhumane!"

*looks at audience, pulls collar and gulps*

"Also expensive!"

*looks at audience, wipes sweat from brow neoliberally*

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Holy poo poo he opposed a tory policy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The policy was literally "send 'em all back to Africa (irrespective of where they arrived from)" but yes, he did. Forensically.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
He even briefly mentioned the idea of it being bad to be cruel to human beings before getting back on track and focussing on the important part about how much money the misery hell camps would cost the taxpayer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He said it was inhuman, which might have been a compliment from him.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There's a slightly dull Youtube ad of a man talking about things in his life that he's proud of, but with the exact cadence of a man reading from a script his hostage takers have just handed him. It was only when it got to the bit about being Director of the Crown Prosecution Service for 5 years that I realised this was the great man himself, at which point I slipped into a coma.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

£150 income? Ooh get you with yer riches.

Yes, I shall spend it all on quails' eggs and caviar for my tea.

Reselling hosting chat:

Thanks for your thoughts folks! £450 out, £150 in it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
No no, the "inhumane" is a reference to the effect on the taxpayers; he knows the great British people despise taxes at best of times and would have strokes and aneurysms if they found out their hard-earned money was being spent on treating asylum seekers to an island vacation. Bless him, he's always thinking of us.