Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tiggum you could just not talk to children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tiggum isn’t a mod, he’s probably fine to talk to children

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found out Santa wasn't real in preschool and thoroughly enjoyed trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Santa Claus, the tooth fair, Easter bunny, etc. are bad. If I don't pretend that these particular fictional beings are real, somehow I'm the arsehole even though you're the one lying to your kids? With religious stuff there's an easy out because no one's pretending other religions don't exist, so if a kid asks me if Jesus is real I can just say that some people believe he is and some people don't. But Santa? Nah, I've got to either lie or weasel my way out of it or I'm ruining Christmas. And all for what? You think kids need to be told stuff is real to enjoy it? No one's going around telling kids that Spider-Man's real but that doesn't seem to bother them.

You can just tell a tiggum post. Beep boop beep boop normal good human interaction is bad and illogical why are not the humans good and logical like me beep boop beep all food is bad nutrient paste is the only good food beep beep beep

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The tower, the clock, and the bell are all called Big Ben. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding or mistaken.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Bigger Ben theory

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

The tower, the clock, and the bell are all called Big Ben. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding or mistaken.

I am like 800 years old and had no idea that Big Ben is supposed to be just the bell. Do people actually call the rest of it Elizabeth Tower?

Speaking of towers, I will call Sears Tower that til I die, idgaf if it's Willis Tower now. I've only been to Chicago a couple times but for some reason I am incredibly stubborn about this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Telemaze posted:

Speaking of towers, I will call Sears Tower that til I die, idgaf if it's Willis Tower now. I've only been to Chicago a couple times but for some reason I am incredibly stubborn about this.

You are 100% correct and no one in Chicago has ever called it the Willis Tower unless they actually work for the tour company there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

You are 100% correct and no one in Chicago has ever called it the Willis Tower unless they actually work for the tour company there.

This reminds me of that goon that worked for a Chicago tour company and got shat on by the entire Dave Matthews Band

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This reminds me of that goon that worked for a Chicago tour company and got shat on by the entire Dave Matthews Band

I learned about that incident this morning. It's even better that a goon was involved.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People lie all the time, about minor and major things. Maybe the lies about holiday mascots are just preparing kids for the cutthroat social interactions they're going to have to navigate when they're older.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Don't lie to children" is such an absurd rule. A kid says he wants to be an astronaut, and you're supposed to tell them the truth? You're supposed to look that child in the eyes and say there probably won't be a space program in ten years, the best life they can realistically hope for is being a security guard for one of the eco domes because at least then they'll be the one doing the beating not the one getting beaten, and they'll have an apartment just outside the dome so they'll get to breathe the outflow from the dome at night instead of having to choose between paying for an air hookup in their shack or dying at age 35 from cumulative methane poisoning? Because that's what Tiggum does!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is why I keep a pocket full of pamphlets explaining both the truth about Santa and the electoral college. Just hand those bad boys out to everyone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

"I'll take BIG BENIS for 400, just like I took your mother last night, Trebek!"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden did well at the debates tonight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Josef bugman posted:

When we are teaching physics you keep it simple. This leads to a lot of things where people can understand and grasp something but which, if you look at it later or with more knowledge, is entirely incorrect.
Simplifying things so people can understand them, even to the point that what you're saying isn't actually true but does give the person a better understanding than they started with, is completely and unequivocally different from lying.

christmas boots posted:

Tiggum you could just not talk to children
I like talking to children and (normally, although not at this time) get paid to do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I like talking to children and (normally, although not at this time) get paid to do it.

So... you're a Santa?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Small child: Uncle Goon! Mommy and Daddy told me that Rover will always love me, even though he's in heaven now!

Goon: WELL ACTUALLY

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

teaching younger children is like 100 times harder than older children and should get higher pay, not lower. teaching a 17 year old is easy, just give them a task to do. with an 11 year old you have to like sing songs and poo poo which is why i cant really do it and only want to teach the older ones because gently caress singing songs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its annoying when you do teacher training, because the younger ones are seen as "easy mode" when really theyre much harder, so teachers often start out with the younger classes when it'd really be best to start with almost-adults and work your way down

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's okay to lie to children because everyone under 18 isn't an actual person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

its annoying when you do teacher training, because the younger ones are seen as "easy mode" when really theyre much harder, so teachers often start out with the younger classes when it'd really be best to start with almost-adults and work your way down
Anyone who teaches prep (the youngest grade here, I don't know what foreign equivalents are) has got to have some kind of super powers because they are creatures of pure chaos and as soon as you get distracted by one of them six others will each independently start doing something else you need to prevent. But grade 3 or 4 is probably the ideal age because they're old enough to pay attention and follow directions but not old enough to be too rebellious.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Shibawanko posted:

teaching younger children is like 100 times harder than older children and should get higher pay, not lower. teaching a 17 year old is easy, just give them a task to do. with an 11 year old you have to like sing songs and poo poo which is why i cant really do it and only want to teach the older ones because gently caress singing songs

What school system uses songs to teach 11 year olds? I'm pretty sure that universally ends at like, age 8 at most.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah if you sing to a class of 11 year olds they'd film you and put you on youtube and you'd become the lastest embarrassing meme

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

What school system uses songs to teach 11 year olds? I'm pretty sure that universally ends at like, age 8 at most.

japan, sometimes anyway

right now i'm teaching asylum seeker kids (not in japan) and the system i have to use recommends nice lesson plans like "play this song on the school piano" for a class of 11 year old. i can't even play an instrument or read notes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan is a deeply broken country

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

They can be handy mnemonic devices. I will never forget the quadratic formula due to learning it to the tune of the Notre Dame fight song.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Zzulu posted:

Japan is a deeply broken country

They seem rather polite and mildly conservative.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

They can be handy mnemonic devices. I will never forget the quadratic formula due to learning it to the tune of the Notre Dame fight song.

yeah they can be really helpful, i still use them for language learning for myself, but have a hard time actually loving singing them in front of students, i mean come on

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aramek posted:

All that glitters is not gold. Have you seen their enormous trucks?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pop goes the weasel for me. It seems pretty universal, when I was in college there would always be people who would hum something to themselves when they were doing math.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pop goes the weasel for me. It seems pretty universal, when I was in college there would always be people who would hum something to themselves when they were doing math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msrgp48Icyw

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Shibawanko posted:

japan, sometimes anyway

right now i'm teaching asylum seeker kids (not in japan) and the system i have to use recommends nice lesson plans like "play this song on the school piano" for a class of 11 year old. i can't even play an instrument or read notes

Ah that's fair. Seems like a situation where they should train you or at least check you have the ability to perform if that's the style of teaching they expect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We were starting to have “boyfriends” and “girlfriends” at 11 and morphing into rebellious teens. I cannot imagine my class tolerating a lame rear end adult singing rhymes at us.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Ah that's fair. Seems like a situation where they should train you or at least check you have the ability to perform if that's the style of teaching they expect.

i just didnt do it, i have control of the lessons but its silly that they would even suggest a song should be involved at all

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shibawanko posted:

a view to a kill is one of the best james bond movies

Every so often, there is an opinion here that surprises me.

This is one of those times.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Goldeneye is the best James Bond film and the rest are so dull I'd rate Austin Powers above them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Aramek posted:

They are extremely racist and misogynistic and the nation is saturated with anime

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Japan is nice but like all countries the biggest threat to you there is the police, their justice system is an absolute joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought you could get away with almost anything in Japan because they won't prosecute if they aren't 100% certain they will get a conviction.