Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I greatly appreciate Emma being pissed off about it.

If anybody would be over that, it'd be Emma, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

How Wonderful! posted:

X-Factor got me a lot more invested in X of Swords, and I actually kind of liked how what might have normally just been a routine crossover shock-death brought up a number of important questions about the rules of Krakoa as a setting. Pretty strong writing for and around Apocalypse as well. I'm very interested to see how some of the other better side-titles-- Marauders, (imo) Hellions, etc.-- find ways to explore the margins of this arc.

The work Williams is doing with Polaris is already promising to be potentially revolutionary for her too, and I say this as someone who's a big fan of her two X-Factor stints.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm going to be fair and say I'm willing to give New-Rockslide a shot but minimizing him as a character in favor of Glob followed by killing him off to prove a point just really sticks in my craw.

I greatly appreciate Emma being pissed off about it.

I'd be less salty if he had done literally anything since Dawn of X started

Same [Emma Frost still protecting her flock! :3: ], though I must sadly point out that New Rockslide disintegrated in Polaris' arms and she then made the summoning circle from them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Metalshark posted:

The work Williams is doing with Polaris is already promising to be potentially revolutionary for her too, and I say this as someone who's a big fan of her two X-Factor stints.

Same [Emma Frost still protecting her flock! :3: ], though I must sadly point out that New Rockslide disintegrated in Polaris' arms and she then made the summoning circle from them.

Oh! I missed that somehow!

gently caress me I guess!

e: Or wait is that old Rockslide's body that's the circle now

ee: Yeah that's Santo's body Lorna's holding onto not the new guy

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 30, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OK, so this was more expensive because it had a bunch of extra pages. And they were all good! This is how you make an event that people will care about. No stupid mumbo-jumbo, no characters acting off, and personal stakes done well. You should be taking notes, Mr Hickman.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Magneto you're such a bitch. You too Xavier.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is it meant to be read as 10 of Swords or Cross of Swords, because seem to work pretty well.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it meant to be read as 10 of Swords or Cross of Swords, because seem to work pretty well.

10 of swords, like the tarot card

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I liked this issue better than Creation by virtue of focusing on Krakoa over the endless stream of Otherworld/Arakko proper nouns I don't care about, but I don't think they really explained what the deal with the "new" Rockslide is? like, he has a new design but I don't think we got any clear sense of how he's changed as a character even though other characters tell us repeatedly that he's not the same person?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

I liked this issue better than Creation by virtue of focusing on Krakoa over the endless stream of Otherworld/Arakko proper nouns I don't care about, but I don't think they really explained what the deal with the "new" Rockslide is? like, he has a new design but I don't think we got any clear sense of how he's changed as a character even though other characters tell us repeatedly that he's not the same person?

Since he died in Otherworld, and Otherworld is sort of a nexus of realities, Xavier's backup didn't pull our Santo and pulled either one that existed from another reality, or an amalgamation of all versions of him.

So it's showing that if you die in Otherworld, you won't be resurrected. Some other version of you would come back, if they decide to go through with the resurrection process.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a bunch of duplicates of excalibur made by jamie braddock who are in otherworld right now. so when they are inevitably killed off would that trigger it too? this poo poo's kind of dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fritzler posted:

The prophecy/end summary by Doug only lists 9 champions right? 10 swords are mentioned and 10 spots at the sanctus sancrum. So waiting on one person to be revealed still.

I assume it is possible for Rockslide to eventually reform in Otherworld at some point. Hope goon favorite X-man isn't gone for too long.

I actually just looked and Doug's thing at the end only has 8 spots.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

Since he died in Otherworld, and Otherworld is sort of a nexus of realities, Xavier's backup didn't pull our Santo and pulled either one that existed from another reality, or an amalgamation of all versions of him.

So it's showing that if you die in Otherworld, you won't be resurrected. Some other version of you would come back, if they decide to go through with the resurrection process.

well yeah, that's all explained to us via exposition. what I'm saying is that we don't get a clear sense of what that actually means because Rockslide is barely present as a character here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are a bunch of duplicates of excalibur made by jamie braddock who are in otherworld right now. so when they are inevitably killed off would that trigger it too? this poo poo's kind of dumb.

They really should have thought through what to do about alternate reality versions of people since like a third of the Summers clan are from them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I actually just looked and Doug's thing at the end only has 8 spots.
It has 8 spots but one is the twins - Betsy and Brian - which brings it up to 9.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fritzler posted:

It has 8 spots but one is the twins - Betsy and Brian - which brings it up to 9.

Oh yeah,

Where the gently caress is Meggan? Wasn't she a mutant fae in the same way Brood is a mutant Brood? I don't think we've seen her since the first issue of Excalibur.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah,

Where the gently caress is Meggan? Wasn't she a mutant fae in the same way Brood is a mutant Brood? I don't think we've seen her since the first issue of Excalibur.

She's on the cover of an upcoming issue.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah,

She's shown up now and then, she's doing spy stuff with Pete.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Apocalypse's bits in this issue were really good. He's not just bullshitting caring for Rictor, even if he was at first. And you can really see the ideology behind why he wanted Crucible to be the way it is. What with Healer and Rictor both giving up on Rictor surviving just because they know he'll be brought back getting to him so much.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So I'm gonna call it here
'From one, Many, from Many, One' is about that future bit with 'Krakoa', which was some mutant fusion of Doug, Warlock and Krakoa- and it's entirely possible he might try to be the bridge that recombines Krakoa and Arrako, too, using Warlock, and creating a new thing. OR he's gonna die and that's gonna be the result- they ressurect him and get him fused with all these different possibilities.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Looking back at X-Men #12 and X of Swords #1, there's an obvious parallel in that both Okkara and Rockslide were cleaved in two by a twilight blade. Hoping that there's more in store for Rockslide than just a shocking death...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone else pick up the Giant Sized X-Men #1 Tribute? It was neat to see modern artists draw the pages, but what I’m actually wondering is if they brought it out just so people can reread it with fresh eyes in light of what’s going on in X-Men overall. Notably, there’s a bit where Krakoa (which had no problem speaking English at that point) mentions it sent a message to Xavier that only he could hear, in order to bring mutants to feed off of. Kind of makes me wonder if Krakoa isn’t exactly as benevolent as it seems and Xavier doesn’t realize it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They regularly feed it mutants so they know what it is, and like Krakoa said, their relationship works. Krakoa gives them a safe place with instant transportation and things they can sell to humans. In turn they help Krakoa go elsewhere with the plants and gates, and feed it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ah, bit of a clarification for context: they're not literally feeding mutants into Krakoa, like "Alright Quentin it's your turn into the smoothie again, we'll see you in a couple hours." Krakoa draws psychic energy from mutants, and usually that means having to kill two of them a year, but with the massive number of mutants currently living on Krakoa, it means the island only has to take eensy teeny bit of brainpower from the people living there, so small they don't even notice it, on a regular basis.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Ah, bit of a clarification for context: they're not literally feeding mutants into Krakoa, like "Alright Quentin it's your turn into the smoothie again, we'll see you in a couple hours." Krakoa draws psychic energy from mutants, and usually that means having to kill two of them a year, but with the massive number of mutants currently living on Krakoa, it means the island only has to take eensy teeny bit of brainpower from the people living there, so small they don't even notice it, on a regular basis.

yeah that's the idea

radlum
May 13, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

So I'm gonna call it here
'From one, Many, from Many, One' is about that future bit with 'Krakoa', which was some mutant fusion of Doug, Warlock and Krakoa- and it's entirely possible he might try to be the bridge that recombines Krakoa and Arrako, too, using Warlock, and creating a new thing. OR he's gonna die and that's gonna be the result- they ressurect him and get him fused with all these different possibilities.

I'm kind of hoping this is the path they take; the phrasing seems less like "one you dies" and more like some sort of...fusion of many into one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

They regularly feed it mutants so they know what it is, and like Krakoa said, their relationship works. Krakoa gives them a safe place with instant transportation and things they can sell to humans. In turn they help Krakoa go elsewhere with the plants and gates, and feed it.

Plus Krakoa has been a fairly decent dude for the last decade or so. He was a student at Wolverine's school.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Can you guys tell me, without going into detail, if part 2 is basically cool and good or not? I won’t be able to pick it up until tomorrow and I’m still wavering on whether or not to go all in.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nemesis_hub posted:

Can you guys tell me, without going into detail, if part 2 is basically cool and good or not? I won’t be able to pick it up until tomorrow and I’m still wavering on whether or not to go all in.

Yeah, it's good. It kind of sets things up better than the first part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

It is so much better than part one.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

nemesis_hub posted:

X-Men #12 and the mini issue #1 were both the extremely boring forms of exposition where barely anything happens and some guys recite some proper nouns you don't give a poo poo about.

X-Factor was the good form of exposition where stuff actually happens. I'd say pick it up and gauge from this one whether or not you're interested in keeping up with the event.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Awesome, thanks!

This type of crossover event, where you have to buy a bunch of different titles, seems unpopular but I have a lot of nostalgia for it as I first started reading Xmen as a kid with Xcutioners Song. It blew me away at the time, and though I’m guessing it doesn’t hold up, it’d be cool to replicate that experience without having to rely on on nostalgia goggles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

Awesome, thanks!

This type of crossover event, where you have to buy a bunch of different titles, seems unpopular but I have a lot of nostalgia for it as I first started reading Xmen as a kid with Xcutioners Song. It blew me away at the time, and though I’m guessing it doesn’t hold up, it’d be cool to replicate that experience without having to rely on on nostalgia goggles.

Xcutioner's song is still pretty good, there's like 30 times they tried to recreate it that are terrible.

Fake Edit: I was thinking of Xtinction Agenda, Xcutioner's Song is loving terrible and the first time of the thirty they tried to recreate it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My favorite parts of X-Tinction Agenda are when Hodge is totally mutated and inhuman looking except for his head at the end of a long techno-organic neck so he rigs up a little cardboard standee of a guy's torso and legs wearing a suit that he wears like a necklace, and the first issue which is a really needed opportunity for all the disparate X-characters to catch up on compare notes.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

My favorite parts of X-Tinction Agenda are when Hodge is totally mutated and inhuman looking except for his head at the end of a long techno-organic neck so he rigs up a little cardboard standee of a guy's torso and legs wearing a suit that he wears like a necklace, and the first issue which is a really needed opportunity for all the disparate X-characters to catch up on compare notes.

Hodge is so great in that

"We need to eliminate all mutants because they're a perversion of humanity"
-Lovecraftian freak show that gave up is own humanity long ago

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kinda related, but shouldn’t she be able to fly, too? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen.

She has flown before, she is not very good at it. This was when her telepathy turned into telekenisis. She could destroy things easily but couldnt move a coin gently.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus Krakoa has been a fairly decent dude for the last decade or so. He was a student at Wolverine's school.

I forgot the details about this. Wasn't that a different Krakoa? A clone or a descendant? Or was it the original? And if it was a different one, what became of it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Just think how much better it could have been had they gone "let's just feed Krakoa Quentin every now and then"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saoshyant posted:

I forgot the details about this. Wasn't that a different Krakoa? A clone or a descendant? Or was it the original? And if it was a different one, what became of it?

I just checked, apparently the original Krakoa spawned a bunch of smaller Krakoas. The one that joined the Xmen was a clone of those mass produced by the Hellfire Kidz.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Do you think the pods that were destroyed had mutants baking in them? With the backlog I can't imagine they were all empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I felt like the twins prophecy lined up more with Xavier and Cassandra Nova than the Braddocks.