Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, you're asking hardline religious fundamentalists to be rational about their 2000-year-old religion. Wearing mixed-fiber clothing is as sinful as homosexuality in the Old Testament, but try asking an Evangelical Christian about it.

I have trouble reconciling that part of the premise: in the war between Atheists and Fundies, it's the fundies who have super-science magic tech and the atheists who improvise weapons from garbage. You'd think the "atheists" would be the ones more comfortable pushing the boundaries of science, developing advanced AI and what-not. But they're resorting to child-soldiers and IED's while the Evangelicals are the ones building Star Trek-level FTL and super-killbots. I guess Sol isn't as anti-science as Jesus.

Thing is that new branches of religion basically retcon practices and lore to advance political gain and secure more followers. Church doctrine only seems incoherent to outsiders who have zero knowledge of the history and contexts which led to contemporary practices.

Look at how the alien planet, Roman era submarines and huge cavalry battles of the New World look like coherent Christianity to Mormons, while looking like really lovely New Testament fanfic to outsiders. Look at how rapidly the Mormon church went from being a polygamist cult being chased across the continent by federal forces, with bloody skirmishes with everyone who crossed their path, to Mitt Romney being a respectable and acceptable political figure with beliefs that are not openly questioned except by those who know the conflict of interest/dual-loyalty inherent in the Mormon culture.

For early Christianity that meant throwing out the Old Testament law in its entirety, and then picking up the few things it liked when politically and socially necessary. Overwriting Jewish holidays with blends of pagan rites to sustain early Jewish converts and snag pagan ones, until the holiday structure grew far enough apart to look shiny and new. Kinship laws (incest taboos) were kept, but mixed fibers were out. Homosexuality and genocide stayed, but kosher laws were enthusiastically thrown off.

Very few modern religious groups are anti-science, some are anti-modernity with heaps of Terms & Conditions.

To me it seems plausible that the Mithraic cult started as a Christian splinter group based on the discovery and revelation of alien tech even 4-generations ago. They were probably a clownshoes lunatic fringe for the first couple of generations, before becoming the dominant religious force in the world when their alien tech was flexed and gained them buckets of followers. People cling very hard to new salvation during times of strife, just look at conspirituality and religious fundamentalism consticting towards some really Old Testament levels of militancy in the real world when we are just teetering at the beginning of the climate change and ecological collapse that the Raised by Wolves world has already powered past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I never watched Lost do people actually still rewatch that like Friends and Office?

absolutely not

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

GABA ghoul posted:

I think I'm watching a totally different show than you. The last episodes explicitly stated that Campion and the kids were just a practice/learning run and never intended to rebuild humanity.

Almost every single "plot hole" from the first few episode got explained in a satisfying way in the last few episodes. Why can't you just chill and enjoy the drat show instead of obsessively imagining plot holes in every scene and line of dialog? Lost really broke a lot of people

I didn't watch Lost but this started as a great combination of hard SF and exploration of parenthood. The first 4-5 episodes. Then it started getting mystical - Am I delusional? Or is it real? Or a computer simulation? And what if my greatest enemy is... Myself!?

From two tight and coherent groups they went to everybody just running around (Marcus and warriors; Sue and some kids; Mother; Tempest; Campion; Father and Hunter; Priests). My partner and I were extremely excited about it, for different reasons, but now we've given up. The last episode was painful to watch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Doctor Malaver posted:

The last episode was painful to watch.

The trick Doctor, is not minding that its painful.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't watch Lost but this started as a great combination of hard SF and exploration of parenthood. The first 4-5 episodes. Then it started getting mystical - Am I delusional? Or is it real? Or a computer simulation? And what if my greatest enemy is... Myself!?

From two tight and coherent groups they went to everybody just running around (Marcus and warriors; Sue and some kids; Mother; Tempest; Campion; Father and Hunter; Priests). My partner and I were extremely excited about it, for different reasons, but now we've given up. The last episode was painful to watch.

See I thought it started as a terrible combination of bad SF and survival travelogue but then it started getting weird and the weirdness forgave many sins. The endless 'hangin out in the village of boredom' sequences were the worst.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's cool and good and a fine opinion to have. I was talking about the people who watched the first 10 minutes of Star Wars and then angrily walked out of the cinema because "nothing made sense" and it was full of "plot holes"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why can't we have both. "It's bad but I'm going to watch it anyway" :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's what the Ernest movies are for

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd still rather see a proper Prometheus sequel than this but I'll take both.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd still rather see a proper Prometheus sequel than this but I'll take both.

:yeah:

Colonel Jerkoff
Jun 3, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Thing is that new branches of religion basically retcon practices and lore to advance political gain and secure more followers. Church doctrine only seems incoherent to outsiders who have zero knowledge of the history and contexts which led to contemporary practices.

Look at how the alien planet, Roman era submarines and huge cavalry battles of the New World look like coherent Christianity to Mormons, while looking like really lovely New Testament fanfic to outsiders. Look at how rapidly the Mormon church went from being a polygamist cult being chased across the continent by federal forces, with bloody skirmishes with everyone who crossed their path, to Mitt Romney being a respectable and acceptable political figure with beliefs that are not openly questioned except by those who know the conflict of interest/dual-loyalty inherent in the Mormon culture.

For early Christianity that meant throwing out the Old Testament law in its entirety, and then picking up the few things it liked when politically and socially necessary. Overwriting Jewish holidays with blends of pagan rites to sustain early Jewish converts and snag pagan ones, until the holiday structure grew far enough apart to look shiny and new. Kinship laws (incest taboos) were kept, but mixed fibers were out. Homosexuality and genocide stayed, but kosher laws were enthusiastically thrown off.

Very few modern religious groups are anti-science, some are anti-modernity with heaps of Terms & Conditions.

To me it seems plausible that the Mithraic cult started as a Christian splinter group based on the discovery and revelation of alien tech even 4-generations ago. They were probably a clownshoes lunatic fringe for the first couple of generations, before becoming the dominant religious force in the world when their alien tech was flexed and gained them buckets of followers. People cling very hard to new salvation during times of strife, just look at conspirituality and religious fundamentalism consticting towards some really Old Testament levels of militancy in the real world when we are just teetering at the beginning of the climate change and ecological collapse that the Raised by Wolves world has already powered past.

This is a good post. However I think you have thought way more about this than the show creators did. The religious backstory here is basically "lets have some fanatics in cool costumes, but not anything remotely related to real world so no one gets offended".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine if aliens gave super tech to scientologists. I would be wearing a funny hat too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season finale...TONIGHT.

Be there.

Praise Sol.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Colonel Jerkoff posted:

This is a good post. However I think you have thought way more about this than the show creators did. The religious backstory here is basically "lets have some fanatics in cool costumes, but not anything remotely related to real world so no one gets offended".

The costumes and occasional hairdo (and Otho's helmet) are obviously referencing crusaders.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Colonel Jerkoff posted:

I think you have thought way more about this than the show creators did.

I think this goes for most shows out there, people online tend to over-think how much thought/planning has gone into the writing of these things.

Excited for the last episode!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shaocaholica posted:

Why can't we have both. "It's bad but I'm going to watch it anyway" :colbert:

Hey it's me

Show is weird and dumb, but the weirdness is endearing and it made good background fare while I was getting a bunch of work done earlier this week. Kind of excited for the season finale to be honest.

Can't imagine thinking that the show at any point approached anything like "hard sci-fi" though.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
What about hard-to-understand sci-fi? Is that hard enough? :smuggo:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Welp, it’s midnight. Time to watch the milk robots do their thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

The only thing I can give that episode is a hearty "...what?"

Was that the season finale? If so, what???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

The only thing I can give that episode is a hearty "...what?"

Was that the season finale? If so, what???

1. That’s it until next year.

2. I’m not sure what the hell I just watched.

Did they secretly let David Lynch direct that last episode?

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 1, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
This poo poo was good

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

so ... mind reading giant tunneling snakes, that control neanderthal humans

this left really same kind of mystery that lost had going on, with very slim explanation on things. And now there is a second ark wasnt building one really really expensive?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I think this is gonna turn a lot of people off. People are going to be mad and say Ridley Scott hasn't had an original idea since Alien.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Dark Off posted:

this left really same kind of mystery that lost had going on, with very slim explanation on things. And now there is a second ark wasnt building one really really expensive?

i thought it was insinuated early on that there could be more arks coming. also the atheists could have repelled the fanatics to build it. :shrug:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
but what does it all mean?!?!

i'm sure all this random imagery will come together

in season 2!!!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Ridley Scott has done it again! Raised By Wolves features yet another truly horrific pregnancy from the master of scary childbirth. Fans will thrill at how this one comes out - it’s not how you’d expect!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The gently caress did I just watch at 5am.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lol, and furthermore, lmao

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Having androids raise a new civilization on a strange planet is an interesting premise, even original. Having space snakes seed life on Earth (?) or manipulate humanity (??) to bring more android birthing chambers to their planet is just batshit. I think I'll have to read reviews of early episodes before I commit to season 2, whenever it comes.

It's a shame really, it was very pretty to watch and listen to.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

^^ yup

err posted:

i thought it was insinuated early on that there could be more arks coming. also the atheists could have repelled the fanatics to build it. :shrug:

Yeah once that idea was thrown around by I think Space Ragnar at some point I figured it would come true either at end of this season or sometime in next. I predict a good new host of lovely future haircuts that I will love just based on the four mooks we've seen so far.

Also I guess the core or whatever they crashed the lander into is sentient or something, or the snake mind powers are super strong!

The serpent looks almost exactly like the snakes that evolve from the black goo in prometheus.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Can't imagine thinking that the show at any point approached anything like "hard sci-fi" though.

You're right, that's a wrong term. I meant "proper" sci-fi, with spaceships, androids, foreign planet, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad for this thread because based on everyone's reactions to the last episode, we made a good decision not to watch it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I told you

Piell posted:

This show is bad, "every episode another weirder less explained thing happens" does not a good show make and I have zero confidence we will get an explanation for even half of what is happening in the final episode of the season

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea uh this show sure is something. just bewildering. perhaps giving ridley scott 10 hours was a bad idea.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I got the impression that the 2nd ark was from a different religion. It had a different symbol on the bottom of it. I thought the Followers of Sol only had enough resources for one ark, but that does not mean other religions didn't also have arks.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

badjohny posted:

I got the impression that the 2nd ark was from a different religion. It had a different symbol on the bottom of it. I thought the Followers of Sol only had enough resources for one ark, but that does not mean other religions didn't also have arks.

they were tattooed like athiests

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
So, I am now convinced that this is the big, Chekov's gun Alien origin story Ridley Scott wanted to create when he made Prometheus. Prometheus fell short for a lot of reasons and I always kinda had the thought it wasn't the story Ridley wanted to tell.

It's all there, the new blood-sucking species, the snow-white Prometheus man, all we're missing is a Mr Weyland and Mr Yutani.

And if it is just that for 3-5 seasons, I'm down with it. Seems loving awesome to be honest.

Also, hot take Campion is either the father of, or distant relative of Ripley. He has the hair for it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Sheriff Falc posted:

So, I am now convinced that this is the big, Chekov's gun Alien origin story Ridley Scott wanted to create when he made Prometheus. Prometheus fell short for a lot of reasons and I always kinda had the thought it wasn't the story Ridley wanted to tell.

It's all there, the new blood-sucking species, the snow-white Prometheus man, all we're missing is a Mr Weyland and Mr Yutani.

And if it is just that for 3-5 seasons, I'm down with it. Seems loving awesome to be honest.

Also, hot take Campion is either the father of, or distant relative of Ripley. He has the hair for it.

this would be very stupid but is probably true

also the biggest thing thats annoyed me this entire season isn't any of the inexplicable behavior, its that the non-Mithraic have to be ATHEISTS!!!!!! instead of just, you know, not believing in the Mithraic religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wow that was stupid as hell lol. congrats to ridley scott for trickin g me into watching 10 straight hours of padding

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 1, 2020