Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HycoCam posted:

If you want to paint your cabinet doors--DIY it. Setup a spray room where you can hang batches of doors and drawer fronts. And go to town. Once you see how laborious the job is, you'll understand the cost.

Painting cabinets tends to be a band-aide until you renovate the entire kitchen. Replacement doors and drawers will give you a much better look and probably come out cheaper than paying someone to paint. New cabinets will cost way more than just new drawers/doors, plus have the cost of a new countertop. But unless you want to change the layout of your kitchen, you probably don't need new cabinets.

yeah my cabinets are in very good shape, and the layout will stay the same (my kitchen is very small anyway so there's really only one option). I already had new wilsonart countertops put in last year, and will be replacing the rest of the appliances next year.

I did some pricing, and those shaker doors in 15.5x21.5 which is the lower cabinet are just under 100, already painted and sanded, with the hinges installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

You can mostly blame your local government regulations for this.

This article (from 2018) details some of the biggest factors: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2018/7/25/why-are-developers-only-building-luxury-housing

I found it interesting that just the median cost to build a SFH was almost $300K, and that's assuming cheap land. I've read the minutes for my local township's approval process for some new-construction developments, and it's crazy: storm-water engineering, arborist consultations, traffic surveys, utility improvements and connection fees, bird-habitat considerations, etc., etc. The days of buying some land and constructing a few reasonably-sized houses is over; death by a thousand government cuts ensures that builders have to go big and dense to profit from economy of scale.

That's fair enough, I suppose. I'm generally in favor of regulation since modern humans just plain wont give a gently caress without them, but I also acknowledge that there's far, far better ways to accomplish these goals than what we have and we're all going to die under a collapsing mountain of solved problems so weee.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

today's adventure: the big rear end oak in my front yard is gonna have to come out probably.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wooger posted:

Amazing, love it when justice is done.

I’m in the UK, currently doing a rather protracted renovation of a 120 year old terraced house.

I’ve currently got my subfloor up on the ground floor, insulation in, and was waiting on delivery of the ply.

Was meant to be here last week, got here today.

In hilarious news though, I got a text from my carpenter yesterday with a picture of his hand in bandages, telling me he severed half his thumb.

This is the 2nd contractor I’ve had send me such a photo this year.
It's the same photo. They all just send it to clients when they're too hung over to finish the day.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

BadSamaritan posted:

Can I just say how annoying it is that we’ve had to do things like replace the furnace and front porch rather than getting to do cool things like pick the updates we want for the kitchen and bathroom. Now renovating a room to the actual finishes we want is financially dumb, but we still have to pay for deferred maintenance stuff. Thanks, flippers.

Luv that contractors have stolen ‘starter homes’ or grandma houses from families anyone not paying cash in our market.

A starter home is now a home that a flipper can't squeeze value out of with minimal updates.

I looked into buying a property that was 2 buildings and one of the buildings was down to the studs/brick and probably ~4k sq feet brick building, the other building was a duplex that needed ~1week of 100 hr to get a new renter in one side of it. It was being sold for $75k, ended up going for $100k cash and the new owner hasn't done anything with it for over a year except cutting the grass after it was 2 ft tall. I figured it was a chance for me to get into rental properties, but it was snatched up just to be owned by someone already rich and nothing done to it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went and did all the cabinet and drawer front measurements, to get all the cabinet doors and drawer fronts, already painted and sanded, with hinges and hinge holes drilled is about 2225 shipped. I'd just have to get some hardware and hire someone to spray the frame. Either way it will definitely be much cheaper than getting the current doors and drawers repainted. Just have to find a painter to come and spray the frame.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 29, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Chamberlain (myQ) requires a subscription if you want to connect it to a smart hub, but not for just using the myQ app.

Well that's dumb. I can't imagine from Chamberlain's side it's any different.

But I also need to buy their hub? I actually have no hubs of any kind now, literally a google home that I basically use to easily set voice timers when im cooking.

So I need...A hub? Like...will literally any hub anywhere work? Or do I need ONLY the chamberlain/or maybe just specifically a garage door hub? Are there solutions that don't require a subscription but I can still use a smart home device?

This whole poo poo is too confusing, I should go peak in the IoT/smart-home thread.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

HycoCam posted:

Figured out there were no permits and complained to their Realtor, who handled the deal as a dual agent, representing both the buyer and seller.
In what world is this ok?

The answer, of course, is a world with REALTORS (tm)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

In what world is this ok?

The answer, of course, is a world with REALTORS (tm)

It's not ok even in their world, hence the suspensions. One of the first things you sign with a realtor is a document stating things like this:

quote:

4.3.1.2. Seller Agency Only. If this box is checked, Broker represents Seller as Seller’s Agent and must treat the buyer as a customer.

Customer: A customer is a party to a real estate transaction with whom the broker has no brokerage relationship because such party has not engaged or employed the broker, either as the party’s agent or as the party’s transaction-broker.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dual agents are common, but definitely need to be avoided like the plague

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How difficult is it to install a dishwasher into a kitchen that has never had one before?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How difficult is it to install a dishwasher into a kitchen that has never had one before?

It depends on your access.
You need an open 24" cabinet space within 6(?)feet of the drain, a hot water line, and an electric supply. If you have the ability to add those, it should be pretty easy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

having someone come over for a cabinet painting estimate, also for popcorn ceiling removal in my space which is just under 1000 SF, to get it nice and smooth is like 6k minimum

apparently getting it nice and smooth like you see in all the modern furniture catalogs is REALLY difficult.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AFewBricksShy posted:

a hot water line

You don’t necessarily need a hot water line do you?
I’ve never seen a dishwasher in Europe that used one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

wooger posted:

You don’t necessarily need a hot water line do you?
I’ve never seen a dishwasher in Europe that used one.

Depending on the dishwasher you may have subpar performance or it may end up using more energy. Something like a Bosch is going to work "fine" with a cold water input, but you're going to be heating a lot more water with the internal electric water heater in the dishwasher which very well may be less efficient than whatever other type of domestic hot water you've already got in your house.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

actionjackson posted:

having someone come over for a cabinet painting estimate, also for popcorn ceiling removal in my space which is just under 1000 SF, to get it nice and smooth is like 6k minimum

apparently getting it nice and smooth like you see in all the modern furniture catalogs is REALLY difficult.

I scraped the popcorn ceiling and skim coated it to a level 5 finish. I'm sure I didn't do an expert job but it's not rocket science... It is just very messy. If you can section off and air seal rooms to do it one by one, you can do it yourself-- ASSUMING THAT THE CEILING HAS NOT BEEN PAINTED.

Get a garden sprayer, spray water on the popcorn ceiling. Let it soak in for a few minutes, come back with a 6 or 8" or larger scraper, and it should come right off the ceiling. Put plastic sheeting on the floor to catch it all, and after you're completely done, just roll it all up and throw it away. After you have scraped off all the popcorn and repaired any damaged tape, nail pops, etc. you do the skim coat.

To skim coat you use all purpose joint compound in the buckets. Add a little water and mix it with a paddle or blender attachment until it is the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Dip a 9" paint roller into it, roll it into the ceiling. Follow it by scraping, feathering off the excess with a flexible scraper/taping knife. The technique takes practice but you'll get there. Let it dry for 24 hours, sand a little/knock down any ridges with the taping knife and then repeat one or two times more.

After your final coat, lightly sand with a screen or ideally one of the drywall sanding tools that has a vacuum attachment. Seal it with Zinsser Gardz, the. Put two+ coats of ceiling paint up.

It is labor intensive, but it isn't hard to do. Your shoulders and back will be in quite about of discomfort though.

Maybe invest in one of those mobile/rolling painter platforms. It would be better than the step stool I used.

Edit:
There are plenty of good drywall/painters on youtube who describe and demonstrate the process. That's how I learned it.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 30, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the detailed steps, but I think you are vastly overestimating my proficiency in these things :)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

What's the best way to fill in a patch of dirt where someone definitely not me dug up to get at an underground sprinkler?

Saw some 3 in 1 grass patch seed mixes, but wasn't sure if any of that actually helped.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've had good luck with the fluffy seed patches but you have to water the poo poo out of them for weeks. I used a bag of that and some top soil to fix a huge chunk of the yard that was dug up for a sewer line repair.

Make sure whatever seed you buy matches your existing grass, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp0a-5dIDo

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 30, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fallom posted:

I've had good luck with the fluffy seed patches but you have to water the poo poo out of them for weeks. I used a bag of that and some top soil to fix a huge chunk of the yard that was dug up for a sewer line repair.

Make sure whatever seed you buy matches your existing grass, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp0a-5dIDo

I know this is a bad photo, but I think this is just st augustine grass? (florida, for reference)

edit: yeah, i definitely have floratam st augustine grass. But the issue is in the back yard so it can just sit for a while and see if the natural grass does its thing

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 30, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Deviant posted:

What's the best way to fill in a patch of dirt where someone definitely not me dug up to get at an underground sprinkler?

Saw some 3 in 1 grass patch seed mixes, but wasn't sure if any of that actually helped.

What happened to the grass that was there in the first place? Usually you just put it back.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

I know this is a bad photo, but I think this is just st augustine grass? (florida, for reference)

edit: yeah, i definitely have floratam st augustine grass. But the issue is in the back yard so it can just sit for a while and see if the natural grass does its thing

If it's not too big of an area augustine will spread rapidly if watered. Just fill it in and wait for a growth cycle, you should see runners come out to it. We patched a 10x10 area with one sod square cut into quarters and slapped down.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

If it's not too big of an area augustine will spread rapidly if watered. Just fill it in and wait for a growth cycle, you should see runners come out to it. We patched a 10x10 area with one sod square cut into quarters and slapped down.

It's really not huge, so I was considering just waiting to see what happens if i water the grass around it. Glad to hear.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

It's really not huge, so I was considering just waiting to see what happens if i water the grass around it. Glad to hear.

If you don't have automatic irrigation make sure the dirt gets wet too. Seems like it would be hard not to but it bears mentioning.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

If you don't have automatic irrigation make sure the dirt gets wet too. Seems like it would be hard not to but it bears mentioning.

This was specifically to repair an automatic irrigation system, so I'll confirm it hits that spot, thanks

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well that's dumb. I can't imagine from Chamberlain's side it's any different.

But I also need to buy their hub? I actually have no hubs of any kind now, literally a google home that I basically use to easily set voice timers when im cooking.

So I need...A hub? Like...will literally any hub anywhere work? Or do I need ONLY the chamberlain/or maybe just specifically a garage door hub? Are there solutions that don't require a subscription but I can still use a smart home device?

This whole poo poo is too confusing, I should go peak in the IoT/smart-home thread.
I have one of their garage door openers.
I do not have a hub.
I had to connect the opener to my home WiFi network during setup.
The MyQ app works to open and close the door whether my phone is on WiFi or cellular.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I think I posted the reddit post about the big time laminate floor fuckup in this thread?

Either way, there’s a happy ending:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/j3tjki/diy_laminate_flooring_redditor_fail_update_a/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I think I posted the reddit post about the big time laminate floor fuckup in this thread?

Either way, there’s a happy ending:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/j3tjki/diy_laminate_flooring_redditor_fail_update_a/

how the hell did they fix that

I can't believe I had a brief moment where I thought "I can do this" before I realized "lol" and correctly paid a professional to install my laminate floor earlier this year.

I think the most annoying thing he had to deal with was when he got to the end of one area and he only needed a very thin sliver to fit, so he had to very carefully cut these planks without managing to cut off his fingers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

thx 4 spooky thread title

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I am becoming the future PO to myself right about now, putting lino down over laminate in the hallway because the cat started pissing there and the crappy laminate that's in isn't waterproof enough and I can't quite budget for waterproof laminate in there right now. At least it let us experiment with making it a few shades lighter for when we do it properly.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, waterproof laminate isn't piss proof either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Damnit how will i pissproof my whole house now? :argh:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have drywall in my basement, taped, mudded and sanded.

Should I be concerned about the dust on the walls prior to paint? I’ve mopped the floor reasonably clean, but I’ve read everything from “your painter will prime over it, don’t worry” to “yes you want to get that cleaned up, you fool”

Painter comes over in a few days to quote so I thought I’d ask the Internet before. Instincts say clean the whole surface but if it doesn’t matter I’ll save the effort.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

piss on your walls

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Hed posted:

I have drywall in my basement, taped, mudded and sanded.

Should I be concerned about the dust on the walls prior to paint? I’ve mopped the floor reasonably clean, but I’ve read everything from “your painter will prime over it, don’t worry” to “yes you want to get that cleaned up, you fool”

Painter comes over in a few days to quote so I thought I’d ask the Internet before. Instincts say clean the whole surface but if it doesn’t matter I’ll save the effort.
Clean you floors, that stuff gets tracked everywhere. If you are epoxying the floors--you'll need to do a lot more work to prep them than just sweeping/mopping.

As for the walls. If it is drywall dust left over from sanding the mud--nope you can and should leave it there. The drywall dust will mix in with the primer and give you a beefier coat initial coat. If the walls have been sitting for a long time and have acquired general dust and grime--yep, wash them down with a little bit of TSP.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 5, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Clean you floors, that stuff gets tracked everywhere. If you are epoxying the floors--you'll need to do a lot more work to prep them than just sweeping/mopping.

As for the walls. If it is drywall dust left over from sanding the mud--nope you can and should leave it there. If the walls have been sitting for a long time and have acquired general dust and grime--yep, wash them down with a little bit of TSP.

Yeah the dust is leftover from sanding, otherwise they are clean. So it's helpful to leave there, or is it just neutral? I'm just trying to understand for my education.

I actually already did stain my concrete floors in the basement and had several coats of wax on them. That made the mopping much easier. I'm still pretty sure I'm going to carpet the finished sections though after all is said and done.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Hed posted:

Yeah the dust is leftover from sanding, otherwise they are clean. So it's helpful to leave there, or is it just neutral? I'm just trying to understand for my education.

I actually already did stain my concrete floors in the basement and had several coats of wax on them. That made the mopping much easier. I'm still pretty sure I'm going to carpet the finished sections though after all is said and done.
I used to clean all the drywall dust off the wall. Then the Amigos that do lots of drywalling->mudding->painting in our area taught me to leave it there. Adds more solids to your primer coat and thus gives a better finish for your final coats.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

home ownership is like buying a mess and spending the rest of your life trying to clean it up

the tree is out, but they had to grind through my sprinkler line to do it.