Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The perspective in that first panel is... questionable. Unless Batroc forgot to mention “Munchkins” in his list of mercenaries.

He's the Leaper, not the Leaner. He's actually landing in the foreground of that shot but the jeep's in a confusing place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Bruceski posted:

He's the Leaper, not the Leaner. He's actually landing in the foreground of that shot but the jeep's in a confusing place.

A very confusing place! My brain just can’t make that work.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone spilled some Pym particles

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wouldn't that just be Kirby dots?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I wish that comics would hire people who actually spoke non-English languages...

For one, in panel 3, Batroc calls the dude my little cauliflower (never mind that he uses "ma" instead of "mon"). "Mon petit choux" would be a better insult and fit better for a guy supposedly from Marseille, France.

And I get that "Mon Capitan" is basically what people think it should sound like but it's "Mon Capitaine"

Proper use of non-English languages is badass :colbert:

I agree with you and it pisses me off every time, but in that issue Batroc specifically mentions that he does his bad French accent on purpose because he thinks it's funny and is annoyed that the new Captain America actually speaks French.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I agree with you and it pisses me off every time, but in that issue Batroc specifically mentions that he does his bad French accent on purpose because he thinks it's funny and is annoyed that the new Captain America actually speaks French.

Is it Bucky or Sam?

Also, would have figured Steve at least knew some basic French.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Context! Thank you

Skwirl posted:

Is it Bucky or Sam?

Also, would have figured Steve at least knew some basic French.
Going by the movies, he understands it but is not a great speaker.

Also, Batroc is apparently from Quebec in that movie, going by the accent :v: (Yes, I know GSP is a Quebecer)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Context! Thank you

Going by the movies, he understands it but is not a great speaker.

Also, Batroc is apparently from Quebec in that movie, going by the accent :v: (Yes, I know GSP is a Quebecer)

He's explicitly stated to be Algerian in Winter Soldier.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I know but he's not fooling anyone with that accent. I'm sure his voice coach tried to make him sound Algerian-French but...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hulk Smash! posted:

I know but he's not fooling anyone with that accent. I'm sure his voice coach tried to make him sound Algerian-French but...

He's practicing for his next job where he infiltrates a group of Quebecois separatists.

Real answer is he probably didn't have a voice coach, he's got so few lines I'd forgotten that he had any.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
"You want someone who can beat Captain America? That man does not exist. Except for that sniper in Civil War. And Iron Man. And Wolverine. Taskmaster? Has Taskmaster beat him before?

Hang on, someone pull up Wikipedia."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

John Dyne posted:

"You want someone who can beat Captain America? That man does not exist. Except for that sniper in Civil War. And Iron Man. And Wolverine. Taskmaster? Has Taskmaster beat him before?

“Maybe the Hulk? Can we hire the Hulk?”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

John Dyne posted:

That's his point though, all of those people fought him but he's never been beaten, because even when he was killed he still got back up.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Retro Futurist posted:

That's his point though, all of those people fought him but he's never been beaten, because even when he was killed he still got back up.

What do you expect? He can do this all day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is it Bucky or Sam?

It's Bucky, the entire issue is really about Batroc and his inner life, but their interactions are still great. One of the the all-time great comics focusing on a villain. And unlike that overrated Taskmaster mini it didn't feel the need to retcon his entire goddamn history.

Skwirl posted:

He's practicing for his next job where he infiltrates a group of Quebecois separatists.

Real answer is he probably didn't have a voice coach, he's got so few lines I'd forgotten that he had any.

Yeah they knew 99.9% of the audience would not notice, and the people most likely to notice were going to be watched a dubbed release of the film. Guy could still have tried to do a Parisian accent, even Bart Simpson could do it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah they knew 99.9% of the audience would not notice, and the people most likely to notice were going to be watched a dubbed release of the film. Guy could still have tried to do a Parisian accent, even Bart Simpson could do it.

Why would he try a Parisian accent if, in the film, he's Algerian?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Why would he try a Parisian accent if, in the film, he's Algerian?

An Algerian sounding kind of Parisian is an acceptable level of incorrect, like an African character sounding kind of English. If your African character sounded Texan it would be a lot worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Dyne posted:

The sniper in Civil War was a mind controlled Sharon Carter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Dyne posted:

Didn’t he just say “gently caress it” against Iron Man, in one of the most bullshit endings to a comics event ever? Assuming you’re talking about Civil War, at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

An Algerian sounding kind of Parisian is an acceptable level of incorrect, like an African character sounding kind of English. If your African character sounded Texan it would be a lot worse.

I think you are over estimating not only how much anglophones care about French accents, but how much anglophones care about English accents.

And again, it's for a character with like 2 lines.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

I am so confused about where you are drawing the line here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Seems like we have lost touch with what truly matters, giant bad rear end dudes with huge swords

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Flesh Forge posted:

Seems like we have lost touch with what truly matters, giant bad rear end dudes with huge swords

"It takes a lot of time to put this all on, you know? It's not like I get up in the morning, hop into the shower and throw on all this stuff. For some of that armor I need to call in guys to help me, otherwise it looks like poo poo and I couldn't even hold this sword here. Really, the only occasion where putting all this on is worth the hassle is when I prepare myself -..."

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Flesh Forge posted:

How could you leave out the follow up panels?

Nothing says badass like tearing open a hole in reality using a nuke sword.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Lately pretty much every KSBD page belongs in this thread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lurdiak posted:

So the Seanchan in the Wheel of Time.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Grendels Dad posted:

"It takes a lot of time to put this all on, you know? It's not like I get up in the morning, hop into the shower and throw on all this stuff. For some of that armor I need to call in guys to help me, otherwise it looks like poo poo and I couldn't even hold this sword here. Really, the only occasion where putting all this on is worth the hassle is when I prepare myself -..."

Pretty surw the purple parts are his body. So really he's only putting on a fifth of a suit of armor.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a different look for Ganon but I think I like it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

David D. Davidson posted:

Pretty surw the purple parts are his body. So really he's only putting on a fifth of a suit of armor.

Makes it harder, I'm sure. Instead of attaching armor plates to other armor plates you got all sorts of straps going everywhere to hold it together.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
he probably doesnt plan on taking it off for a while

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The armor's probably decorative, anyway.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is that a leather thong or a jockstrap?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's like that old joke. What kind of leather jockstrap does a 500 pound gorilla wear? Any kind it likes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So since Jags likes all instruments of war

When is he going to pull out a gun

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

The perspective in that first panel is... questionable. Unless Batroc forgot to mention “Munchkins” in his list of mercenaries.

Computer, rotate

lol

Computer, correct image as if we perceive the jeep to be in the background and approximate Batroc's body as if he is standing up

Batroc is 8 feet tall.... a terrifying Batroc

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A shameful Batroc, no self respecting Frenchman would allow himself to be depicted at a Dutch angle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A shameful Batroc, no self respecting Frenchman would allow himself to be depicted at a Dutch angle.

Also it's a Marvel comic and the other name for that is "Batman angle."

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

This made me read the whole comic and I must say it was the most badass comic ever. I binged read it in 2 days and OMG so awesome.

So thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

New Wave Jose posted:

This made me read the whole comic and I must say it was the most badass comic ever. I binged read it in 2 days and OMG so awesome.

So thank you

It is so good.

It's entering the final book for the series as that was the Book 5 ender.