Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
e: edited

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Maybe he meant they wouldn't be jerks and leave him behind in the dust on his own.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

I'm assuming you didn't mean it that way but your bullet point a) reads pretty tacky from where I'm sitting.

You're (collectively) correct, that at best reads terribly and is indeed tacky. I've edited it.

BeastPussy posted:

Maybe he meant they wouldn't be jerks and leave him behind in the dust on his own.

No need to defend it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're (collectively) correct, that at best reads terribly and is indeed tacky. I've edited it.

:hfive:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
But anyway it was super cool to be riding with ex-pros, I was stoked to have survived and expressed that really god damned badly.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But anyway it was super cool to be riding with ex-pros, I was stoked to have survived and expressed that really god damned badly.

Especially doing it while wearing bibs that say serious business on them. :)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

hoods are more aero :colbert:

Whichever position allows you have a 90deg elbow bend with a mostly flat back is more aero. I used to run 14cm of drop and now I run like 6cm. I use the drops any time I’m actually trying to go fast and the hoods are strictly a position of comfort. If people aren’t using the drops, especially while descending, it might be time to reevaluate that bike fit.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can use the hoods in an aero or comfortable position though, its not like its just one or the other

Either way I really don't ride fast enough to care much, I was just sticking an oar in for the sake of discussion

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Being more aero becomes advantageous at surprisingly low speeds, like 12-13mph.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That's way too fast.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

13mph?! Please, I'm trying to listen to audiobooks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

I think I've used the drops twice this year, maybe three times.

I use the drops all the time when I'm not climbing because my back is hosed and it feels good to hunch over

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
Are any goons doing this year's Coffeeneuring challenge? https://chasingmailboxes.com/2020/09/27/coffeeneuring-challenge-2020-one-good-thing/ The challenge is basically:

over the course of 7’ish weeks,
ride your bike to 7 different places,
at least 2 miles round trip each time,
drink 7 cups of coffee (or similar), and
take 7 pictures (or other documentation) as proof of your coffeeneuring.

You email your documentation, paypal $10 to the nice lady who came up with the challenge, and you get a nifty little merit badge or a pin. You don't even need to go to a coffee shop, you can go anywhere and a have a drink. I've done the challenge twice and each year I've checked out new places. I'm trying to avoid inside places this year so I'll be bringing my drink with me for a lot of the rides. I found adding a beer koozie to my thermos makes it fit pretty well in my bottle holder.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I managed to sneak a layover at home for 12 hours in the middle of my trip, and uhhhhhh, hell yeah these turned out good.

Still planning on starting to ship them out on the 9th.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I use the drops all the time when I'm not climbing because my back is hosed and it feels good to hunch over
:same: but more because I just feel like a change of position every 10 minutes

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I literaly live on the drops!

Apr 7, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

I literaly live on the drops!

where do you sleep

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
I like to climb in the drops because then I'm not splitting my fingers across the brifters and I can pull on the bars harder. :shrug:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Forecasted 20+ mph winds with gusts up to 40. Time for the KOM hour?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Night Witch posted:

Are any goons doing this year's Coffeeneuring challenge? https://chasingmailboxes.com/2020/09/27/coffeeneuring-challenge-2020-one-good-thing/ The challenge is basically:

over the course of 7’ish weeks,
ride your bike to 7 different places,
at least 2 miles round trip each time,
drink 7 cups of coffee (or similar), and
take 7 pictures (or other documentation) as proof of your coffeeneuring.

You email your documentation, paypal $10 to the nice lady who came up with the challenge, and you get a nifty little merit badge or a pin. You don't even need to go to a coffee shop, you can go anywhere and a have a drink. I've done the challenge twice and each year I've checked out new places. I'm trying to avoid inside places this year so I'll be bringing my drink with me for a lot of the rides. I found adding a beer koozie to my thermos makes it fit pretty well in my bottle holder.

This looks cool! I wanna try this!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just for hoods chat, I generally like shallow drops and running in them most of the time, but this is, in fairness, on old bikes where braking from the hoods was barely possible.

the Nitto 55 bars on one of my road bikes has a 135mm drop that, with a older-style "fistful of seatpost" fit, works really well for all-day drops riding.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 30, 2020

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I managed to sneak a layover at home for 12 hours in the middle of my trip, and uhhhhhh, hell yeah these turned out good.

Still planning on starting to ship them out on the 9th.

I hope this is my kit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tigren posted:

I hope this is my kit.

nah that’s mine

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Turns out this years Yukon 2 fat bike is 1700 for Deore 12s and Levels. Throw out those brakes and put BB7s on and it's a hell of a deal.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Any recommended options for storing a bike indoors? I live in a tiny rented apartment and can't drill anything into the walls, also want to avoid disassembling/reassembling stuff if possible. I have a balcony but I'm not sure if its a good idea to leave it outside in freezing temperatures during winter.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

mila kunis posted:

Any recommended options for storing a bike indoors? I live in a tiny rented apartment and can't drill anything into the walls, also want to avoid disassembling/reassembling stuff if possible. I have a balcony but I'm not sure if its a good idea to leave it outside in freezing temperatures during winter.

temperature doesn't matter for bike storage, but keeping it dry does matter. I'd go with storing it on the balcony with a waterproof cover, that'll set you back something like 10-20 bucks if you get a decent one.

Indoors: if you don't want to drill I guess you could just get a bike stand like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thane-Bike...1500028&sr=8-12 (I have no experience with this exact model)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Make sure you take your lights off before storing it outside for winter, temperature definitely does matter there!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Put it on top of or behind your TV.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Trash kit in action, very happy with the fit and quality of this kit, definitely on par with or better than racmmer, can’t wait to start getting these sent out next week.

And what’s a new kit day without one of these:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

that bike tho :fap:

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

mila kunis posted:

We have this thing in our small poorly laid out apartment and it works well.

I also picked up a new helmet, cause I'm not insane and buy used. Old one got a little messed up when I got hit by a car and slammed my head on the pavement.

Wear your drat helmet.

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

Thanks to whoever posted that theblackbibs.com stuff, I ordered a pair to try them out and they're solid as heck. The chamois seems a lot denser than the Pearl Izumi stuff I was wearing.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I Am Not Spor posted:

We have this thing in our small poorly laid out apartment and it works well.

I also picked up a new helmet, cause I'm not insane and buy used. Old one got a little messed up when I got hit by a car and slammed my head on the pavement.

Wear your drat helmet.

drat, what color is the new helmet? It matches my lava orange Giros perfectly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

resident posted:

Looks like it’s orange, hth op.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

resident posted:

POC calls it "zink orange avip". They claim it's the best color for cycling and helps drivers recognize you earlier. Could be total BS, but this is the second time I've been hit, so I decided to forgo the cool factor and went with obnoxious fluorescent orange.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that theblackbibs.com stuff, I ordered a pair to try them out and they're solid as heck. The chamois seems a lot denser than the Pearl Izumi stuff I was wearing.

Have you worn em yet?
Do you like it?
Seems to be a love or hate difference online

Apr 7, 2003

Anza Borrego posted:

Have you worn em yet?
Do you like it?

I tried it on, seems comfortable, chamois is dense than the stuff I’ve been wearing. Going to do a 50-60 mile ride on Saturday and see how I feel about them but the first impression is pretty good.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Have you worn em yet?
Do you like it?

Put me squarely in the "hate" camp. Chamois is way too thick and long/wide. If your perineum is three miles long and the width of an Eastern seaboard state they're probably great, but for me it was way too much material to fit comfortably between my legs.

It's a shame too, because the quality is pretty great for the price point. FWIW I tried the Plus Tall bibs, not sure if the chamois is different on the others.

Apr 7, 2003

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Put me squarely in the "hate" camp. Chamois is way too thick and long/wide. If your perineum is three miles long and the width of an Eastern seaboard state they're probably great, but for me it was way too much material to fit comfortably between my legs.

It's a shame too, because the quality is pretty great for the price point. FWIW I tried the Plus Tall bibs, not sure if the chamois is different on the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm44OEkFFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Wow, wide SPD MTB shoes are very expensive.