Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

univbee posted:

To do this yet again:

Version on left is XB1 version, $60. It will run on the Series X but it will not give you the enhanced version, and at this time there's no upgrade path to get it if you get this version.

Seems dumb. Change the color of the stupid box lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

The people who care about CoD and go to the trouble of getting a launch-window Series X will get it right

Not the moms getting it for their six-year-old.

But gently caress them anyway.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I blame Activision for that more than MS. The Smart Delivery/No-cost upgrade games have been showing off a single box like the one on the right.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Seems dumb. Change the color of the stupid box lol

But but but branding!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

Not the moms getting it for their six-year-old.

But gently caress them anyway.

Rated M for Minecraft Is What You Get Your Kids

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Why did Microsoft pick the word 'Series'? Its such a dumb word for an object.

If they wanted to stick with this 's' and 'x' nomenclature they should have gone with a nice solid word like 'Scorpio' (obviously they've already used this one, but if they hadn't). Then you could have an Xbox One (x or S) or an Xbox Scorpio (x or s) and the degree of confusion would be a lot lower. The word 'Series' sounds like it's waiting for another word, or it's a description of something else.

It's Phil Spencers one small mistake (still love you Phil)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

But Phil said it would make sense

I believe in Phil

I'll just keep waiting for it to make sense

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crafty posted:

That really is a shitload of money for one game, edging towards that 100 quid mark! Kind of odd that a brand new series s console at £250 would be the same cost as 3.5 games. Seems kind of strange, sure that back in the day consoles to game cost ratio was always much higher than that?

SNES was $199, and games were $60. Ratio of 3.3! I guess we're going back to cartridge-era price ratios?

It was the Playstation that drove down game costs. Games were really loving expensive for the NES / SNES.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

I blame Activision for that more than MS. The Smart Delivery/No-cost upgrade games have been showing off a single box like the one on the right.

This is also hit and miss, though.

Doesn't include the Series X version on the disc, you can just download it for free during the next year and run it with that disc as a license check. Once FIFA 22 is out you can't do this anymore and "Dual Entitlement" becomes lies.

This game is meant to work the same way but has different indicators on the packaging than FIFA, where's the "Dual Entitlement" logo?

Same package layout as Madden, but there won't be a next-gen version of NHL 21 so we have a difference in product without a difference in package. What's with the different listing order for "Series X" and "Xbox One"?

Does not run on Xbox One at all (at least this one doesn't say Xbox One anywhere).

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 30, 2020

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
"I can't wait to get the Series"

"What Series"

"THE XBOX SERIES"

Did they ever give an explanation for the choice? I only started paying attention recently. Is it so they can have a series V and things like that? I mean that still doesn't really make sense though, you could just get rid of the word Series in that scenario. I typed the word series too many times there and had to google it to make sure it was right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They are loving hideous

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I genuinely wish they had named the Series X the Super Xbox, and the Series S the Less Super Xbox.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are loving hideous

Those EA sports covers are the busiest and ugliest I have ever seen, with or without the Dual Entitlement logo.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

aaa rrp is £30 you can't convince me otherwise

Crafty posted:

"I can't wait to get the Series"

"What Series"

"THE XBOX SERIES"

Did they ever give an explanation for the choice? I only started paying attention recently. Is it so they can have a series V and things like that? I mean that still doesn't really make sense though, you could just get rid of the word Series in that scenario. I typed the word series too many times there and had to google it to make sure it was right.
i'm pretty sure everyone itt has to triplecheck which precise sku they're referring to even though we've known it for months now

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I genuinely wish they had named the Series X the Super Xbox, and the Series S the Less Super Xbox.

Series X - Super Xbox
Series S - Subpar Xbox

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

graventy posted:

Those EA sports covers are the busiest and ugliest I have ever seen, with or without the Dual Entitlement logo.

They should have gone with Nina Matsumoto's cover from two years ago.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The 18 or 19 covers were all super minimalist for sports, like a dude and a colour. Guess they wanted to make a big change.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Maybe the 'Good Xbox', and the 'Great Xbox'. This give the bonus for next console cycle of the 'Super Good Xbox' and the 'Super Great Xbox'

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Akuma posted:

The 18 or 19 covers were all super minimalist for sports, like a dude and a colour. Guess they wanted to make a big change.

I guess they also couldn't really do any promo shoots because of COVID. I still don't like them, instead they should've done something like

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
For those EA Sports covers I seriously thought Univbee pasted a screenshot on top of the box because of the giant picture in the middle of the box.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol there are a lot of little incomprehensible things here i love. the number one indicator that the one on the right is the next gen version is the X logo in the upper right which means nothing to a layperson. you might logically conclude that this is the 'series X' version as opposed to the xbox one version from the order in which those are printed on the top-left banner, assuming you already know what those mean, but could logically infer the opposite from XBOX ONE being more prominent in the lower right. why do they even want to advertise that the xbox one last-gen version is playable on series x on the left box when you could push them to the more expensive next gen version?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Microsoft gives their consoles meaningless incomprehensible names because they don't want people to associate with the console, they want people to associate with the broader Xbox brand.

Nobody says they drive a 3 series/play a series s, they drive a BMW/play an Xbox

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Wheeee posted:

Microsoft gives their consoles meaningless incomprehensible names because they don't want people to associate with the console, they want people to associate with the broader Xbox brand.

Nobody says they drive a 3 series/play a series s, they drive a BMW/play an Xbox

I hope you are being sarcastic because their naming is confusing and bad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is not at all my experience with people that want to talk about what car they drive

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Car guys are as relevant to major brands as forum posting turbonerds are to Sony and Microsoft, which is nearly not at all.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
“What type of DDR this baby packing?” *slaps controller*

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I know when I go to the car dealership I just ask for the one that says Ford on it. The gently caress is this stupid take?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

“What type of DDR this baby packing?” *slaps controller*

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The entire world of gadget product naming is bad, with the exception of PlayStation who have managed the clear simplicity of steadily increasing numbers (with the brief Pro misstep). No one else has managed this feat. The closest is Apple who have mostly managed to name iPhones well but the rest of their product naming is a consistently obfuscatory mess. Nintendo's "we launch a new brand every time" is almost there.

And then you get to the world of PC parts/monitors which wear their bizarre cat walking across a keyboard "is this a product name or a serial number" monikers with pride. Xbox is not as bad as that, but it's certainly trending into at direction.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Series X and S aren't great names, but it's not a huge deal or anything...

...but that Box design is just actively loving terrible. Like.... real real real bad. Both in just aesthetics and UX. What the gently caress man.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

BonoMan posted:

...but that Box design is just actively loving terrible. Like.... real real real bad. Both in just aesthetics and UX. What the gently caress man.

Nah the design is great.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

BonoMan posted:

I don't understand this opinion at all. It's a non descript black box that manages to be somewhat compact for what's inside. It's both significantly smaller and less ugly than the PS5. Boring? Ok. Terrible.... No

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

SNES was $199, and games were $60. Ratio of 3.3! I guess we're going back to cartridge-era price ratios?

It was the Playstation that drove down game costs. Games were really loving expensive for the NES / SNES.

MSRP of your games was still $50 in the nes/snes era... the problem was that stores were less inclined to stick to MSRP, so you'd have abominations like Chrono Trigger getting limited prints in the US and stores would sell them for outrageous prices (I got mine for $50 at the local game store because I preordered it, but the ones they sold off the shelf were $120. Software Etc. at the time IIRC). What really helped that whole generation of systems was the sheer number of sales; consoles took near the end of the generation and volume of sales went up enough for games to start getting regular printings and cutting back on scarcity.

China and India began to really ramp up manufacturing in key cities as well, lowering the costs of production for cartridges and CD's. While this didn't affect the MSRP, it meant that if a game sold out quickly you could easily get a second print run instead of having to try to schedule it against your other upcoming game releases.

On top of that, emulators took off in the late 90's and CD's became relatively easy to copy as well so piracy became a significant threat to sales.

All of this led to game retailers having to actually sell at MSRP because trying to overcharge would just lead to unsold stock. A load of game resellers, mostly pawn type shops focusing in rarer carts, just straight up went out of business (in the US... they are still huge in Japan). The failed launch of E.T. to the launch of Goldeneye was a wild time to be a gamer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I don't understand this opinion at all. It's a non descript black box that manages to be somewhat compact for what's inside. It's both significantly smaller and less ugly than the PS5. Boring? Ok. Terrible.... No

The game boxes, I presume.

Lot of busy logos.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah we're talking about the hideous cover art

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Ah ok fair. I did stumble upon this neat comparison given the dimensions.

https://comparesizes.com/comparison/PS5-Disc-vs-Xbox-Series-X/1601499891403

The PS5 Is so drat huge it's incredible

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

doingitwrong posted:

The entire world of gadget product naming is bad, with the exception of PlayStation who have managed the clear simplicity of steadily increasing numbers (with the brief Pro misstep).

I always find it funny when anyone gives Sony credit for calling their 5 consoles 1,2,3,4 and ....5. You’re going to go ballistic over led zeppelin’s album names

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

I always find it funny when anyone gives Sony credit for calling their 5 consoles 1,2,3,4 and ....5. You’re going to go ballistic over led zeppelin’s album names

It makes it about as idiot proof as possible for the people most likely to gently caress it up and buy someone a game for the wrong system.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crafty posted:

I always find it funny when anyone gives Sony credit for calling their 5 consoles 1,2,3,4 and ....5.

Look at their two main competitors though...

Nintendo: WiiU (not a Wii), New 3DS XL (not to be confused with a new 3DS XL) Switch Lite (doesn't "switch")
MS: XBOX One (the third Xbox), One X/S/SAD, Series X/S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thom12255 posted:

Nah the design is great.

Seltzer posted:

I'm talking about the game boxes! Shouldn't have capitalized "box"... my bad.

I love the physical design of both the S and the X :).