Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Ulf posted:

Zero Motorcycles (probably still the EV leader in motorcycles) and Polaris (a super-brand that owns a lot of the motorcycling, off-road, watersport, and snow machine industries) are announcing a collab:

:aaa: cyberquad is coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERp_gy4L48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Gamesguy posted:

NKLA bought their truck design from a Croatian guy for a few thousand dollars, it was his college thesis project.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...tm_source=share

Literally nothing was real on that truck, even the infotainment display was a hidden laptop displaying a static image.

https://mobile.twitter.com/InsiderNikola/status/1308126584843329537

I got probated for posting this without source in this thread a few months ago. 😑

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you were getting too close to the truth :tinfoil:

Which is that Nikola is hosed and even their deal with GM doesn't seem to be going through: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/nikolas-deal-with-gm-was-supposd-to-close-today-it-didnt/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Interesting study on the total lifecycle CO2 emissions for various modes of transportation. I was surprised to see that even a BEV Uber/Lyft is worse than just owning your own ICE vehicle, not shocked to see ICE mopeds still better than operating a BEV car.

https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/environmental-performance-new-mobility.pdf

Shamino posted:

I got probated for posting this without source in this thread a few months ago. 😑

This isn't a comedy forum anymore, think of posting on here as working on your PhD and each post as part of your dissertation. Would you use random sources for your dissertation?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I suppose that does make sense, 8-12 hours of consumption at any level of current efficiency is more total than just using your own car for like an hour. I wonder where ICE taxi shakes out. Is ridesourcing like Uber, or like those car sharing services assuming optimal load? I assume the former.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Westy543 posted:

I suppose that does make sense, 8-12 hours of consumption at any level of current efficiency is more total than just using your own car for like an hour. I wonder where ICE taxi shakes out. Is ridesourcing like Uber, or like those car sharing services assuming optimal load? I assume the former.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird comparison to make. A rideshare driving 8 hrs a day vs a person driving what, an hour probably? Of course the rideshare is going to have a bigger impact. But if that one vehicle replaces 8 others, the math changes a bit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What unit is pkm? Passenger kilometers? If it's per km it's saying that they emit more greenhouse gas regardless, right? It's not taking into account hours per day?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably just to account for drivers having to driver around empty to pick up fares. Otherwise it can't possibly be any worse than a private car, because of what, an extra 80kg driver?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Charles posted:

What unit is pkm? Passenger kilometers? If it's per km it's saying that they emit more greenhouse gas regardless, right? It's not taking into account hours per day?
Yeah, passenger kilometers.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Godholio posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a weird comparison to make. A rideshare driving 8 hrs a day vs a person driving what, an hour probably? Of course the rideshare is going to have a bigger impact. But if that one vehicle replaces 8 others, the math changes a bit.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head on some of the things in this report. A private bike has ~10% of the pkm GHG emissions than an ICE car? What? for a device that has 1% the mass of an ICE car? Also it looks like the assumption is that the infrastructure cost is similar, which seems odd on the face of it. I'll need to read more closely.

I also don't understand this bit:

"The carbon intensity of battery manufacturing accounts for a large reliance on coal-based electricity for aluminium smelting, which translates in a carbon intensity of 93 kg CO2/kWh of pack capacity. This is due to the concentration of battery production in Asia, the large reliance of China on coal for electricity generation and the need for electricity to produce aluminium. Coal based electricity has been considered also for the production of other aluminium used in vehicle manufacturing (this is a conservative assumption, given that aluminium is also obtained from hydroelectricity).19"

Looking at the reference, it looks like the energy and the GCG emissions per kWh of battery for aluminum are about 1/6th of the total, so I can't imagine a 20% difference in carbon intensity of this one component could make such a big difference? Also, conservative here seems to mean larger assumptions for EV GCG intensity.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Yeah, I'm scratching my head on some of the things in this report. A private bike has ~10% of the pkm GHG emissions than an ICE car? What? for a device that has 1% the mass of an ICE car? Also it looks like the assumption is that the infrastructure cost is similar, which seems odd on the face of it. I'll need to read more closely.
Most bicycles don't get very many miles, so manufacturing isn't distributed by much.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Interesting study on the total lifecycle CO2 emissions for various modes of transportation. I was surprised to see that even a BEV Uber/Lyft is worse than just owning your own ICE vehicle, not shocked to see ICE mopeds still better than operating a BEV car.
It's pretty interesting that scooters are lower emissions than public transportation.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ford is cutting the price of the Mach-E

Looks like the only model not seeing a price drop is the GT

The $60k launch model doesn't make sense IMO, why would you buy this over a Polestar 2? I assume by the time the cheaper ones are available the base trims for the Volvo will also be available.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

It's probably just to account for drivers having to driver around empty to pick up fares. Otherwise it can't possibly be any worse than a private car, because of what, an extra 80kg driver?

Yeah, it's per kilometer of actually moving passengers around. In that context taxis and Uber/Lyft/etc. burn a lot of kilometers driving to pick up fares. Whereas your own car is generally already in the right place and doesn't need to come pick you up.

Gamesguy posted:

It's pretty interesting that scooters are lower emissions than public transportation.

E-scooters are tiny, low-power and don't require very much infrastructure at all. Even a basic footpath or bike path is more than plenty, and they take up very little parking space.

I am a little confused that the production of a personal e-scooter apparently emits significantly more than the production of a BEV moped, which doesn't really make sense.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 1, 2020

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

E-scooters are tiny, low-power and don't require very much infrastructure at all. Even a basic footpath or bike path is more than plenty, and they take up very little parking space.

I was more referring to the gas powered ones. The ubiquitous Honda scooters everywhere in Asia is apparently less polluting than public transport, which is pretty surprising since you need a small fleet of them to carry as much as a bus or a train.

quote:

I am a little confused that the production of a personal e-scooter apparently emits significantly more than the production of a BEV moped, which doesn't really make sense.

Scooters are a lot more capable than mopeds. Mopeds are limited to under 50cc engines while scooters can go up to 250cc and many models can even ride on the highway. I assume an e-scooter correspondingly has a much bigger battery and motor.

Edit: I think I understand where your confusion comes from. In the west escooters often refer to these:

The paper is probably talking about these:

The bottom one is pretty much revolutionizing transport in Asia. You can buy one for $500 and they have 30-40 mile range and goes up to 50+ mph, charges from a standard household outlet in a few hours. These are selling in the millions and governments see them as a solution to urban traffic pollution problems.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 1, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gamesguy posted:

Edit: I think I understand where your confusion comes from. In the west escooters often refer to these:

The bottom one is pretty much revolutionizing transport in Asia. You can buy one for $500 and they have 30-40 mile range and goes up to 50+ mph, they're selling these in the millions.

The paper refers to things like dockless e-scooter sharing, which I take to mean electric kick scooters, not sit-down scooters.

E: Specifically "Dockless e-scooter sharing entails platform-facilitated access and the use of electric kick scooters at a variety of pick-up and drop-off locations".

I would consider sit-down scooters as BEV mopeds in the context of the paper.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 1, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to have to read through that study but some of the details there....I'm really curious what the assumptions are.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gamesguy posted:

I was more referring to the gas powered ones. The ubiquitous Honda scooters everywhere in Asia is apparently less polluting than public transport, which is pretty surprising since you need a small fleet of them to carry as much as a bus or a train.

Scooters are a lot more capable than mopeds. Mopeds are limited to under 50cc engines while scooters can go up to 250cc and many models can even ride on the highway. I assume an e-scooter correspondingly has a much bigger battery and motor.

The bottom one is pretty much revolutionizing transport in Asia. You can buy one for $500 and they have 30-40 mile range and goes up to 50+ mph, charges from a standard household outlet in a few hours. These are selling in the millions and governments see them as a solution to urban traffic pollution problems.

Bottom image not showing up when you click on it.

What's interesting is using cargo e-bikes for the "last few km" deliveries and/or in urban areas that have banned autos/trucks from sections.

Stuff like this:

That has to be a significant net reduction in carbon emmisions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KozmoNaut posted:

If they are talking about those Dockless Lime/Uber scoots, then I bet a significant section deals with their disposability and tendency to be found in lakes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Shamino posted:

Well CAT INTERCEPTOR is a dope and probably has Nikola stock.

I mean really the company name is a freaking gimmicky parody of Tesla. How did anyone not expect it to be a scam?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 1, 2020

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
If anyone has $4800 you can get a bolt for three years:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/signed-2020-chevy-bolt-lt-one-pay-4481-midwest/296598
If you're a Texas resident there is a $2500 rebate. Brings the payment down to effectively $63/mo.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FilthyImp posted:

If they are talking about those Dockless Lime/Uber scoots, then I bet a significant section deals with their disposability and tendency to be found in lakes.

A problem is also that they are left all over the place and someone has to transport them to more convenient location.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gamesguy posted:

The $60k launch model doesn't make sense IMO, why would you buy this over a Polestar 2? I assume by the time the cheaper ones are available the base trims for the Volvo will also be available.

Similar performance, more usable space, available in more than 3 US cities, arguably better reliability than Geely era Volvo...

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The paper refers to things like dockless e-scooter sharing, which I take to mean electric kick scooters, not sit-down scooters.

E: Specifically "Dockless e-scooter sharing entails platform-facilitated access and the use of electric kick scooters at a variety of pick-up and drop-off locations".

I would consider sit-down scooters as BEV mopeds in the context of the paper.

I looked it up, it seems like the vehicle component is averaged by lifespan of the vehicle and escooters got dinged for having extremely short service life compared to mopeds.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Similar performance, more usable space, available in more than 3 US cities, arguably better reliability than Geely era Volvo...

Fair point about the space. Still, at the same price point the mach-e is significantly less well equipped and slower than the volvo.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 2, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gamesguy posted:

PT has to drive around big slow heavy vehicles that are mostly empty most of the time. It's only "efficient" during rush hour.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thankfully the diesel buses are being phased out here, initially moved to rural routes that need to have their old buses upgraded (to get them out of the densely cities), and being replaced with BEV buses.

The change in passenger comfort alone justifies the upgrade, no more shaking and rattling and diesel exhaust stink.

Still, I would ride an electric moped, I think they're neat. For now I'm sticking with the bike. Perhaps an e-bike in the future.

Gamesguy posted:

I looked it up, it seems like the vehicle component is averaged by lifespan of the vehicle and escooters got dinged for having extremely short service life compared to mopeds.

That's a good point. I know the rental ones barely last 3 months, even in optimal conditions.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 2, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gamesguy posted:

Fair point about the space. Still, at the same price point the mach-e is significantly less well equipped and slower than the volvo.

The FE should hit 60 in 5.1 seconds vs the Volvos 4.7. That’s not a huge difference. I’m sure the Volvo will have a nicer interior but the actual equipment levels are pretty comparable. People in America routinely pay a premium for crossovers vs comparable sedans so I don’t think charging the same price for a slightly slower crossover is going to be an issue.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly I kinda super dig the XC40? The expected 208 mile range isn't gonna be great, especially for my use case where CCS is basically non-existent, but it's a great looking vehicle. It looks kinda similar to the Polestar 2 inside, but with some more buttons. The green it comes in is fabulous; the silver ain't bad either.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a good point. I know the rental ones barely last 3 months, even in optimal conditions.

drat that's even worse than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad when people throw them in the trash when they're blocking the sidewalks, I just figured they'd get at least six months out of them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

drat that's even worse than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad when people throw them in the trash when they're blocking the sidewalks, I just figured they'd get at least six months out of them.

It’s actually even worse, albeit from a fairly limited study.

https://qz.com/1561654/how-long-does-a-scooter-last-less-than-a-month-louisville-data-suggests/

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Banding scooters like they're birds for a recapture study

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
And so it begins..

das autoo

VW E-up, 36.8kwh
I would like to thank EU emission quotas for making this 17.6k purchase possible. The car is now unobtainium for the foreseeable future as VW has apparently stopped taking orders.

Oovee fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 2, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Oovee posted:

And so it begins..

das autoo

VW E-up, 36.8kwh
I would like to thank EU emission quotas for making this 17.6k purchase possible. The car is now unobtainium for the foreseeable future as VW has apparently stopped taking orders.

I love that sized car. Too bad we don't get stuff like this in the USA.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oovee posted:

And so it begins..

das autoo

VW E-up, 36.8kwh

:swoon: It's like what a new Spark EV would be!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The FE should hit 60 in 5.1 seconds vs the Volvos 4.7. That’s not a huge difference. I’m sure the Volvo will have a nicer interior but the actual equipment levels are pretty comparable. People in America routinely pay a premium for crossovers vs comparable sedans so I don’t think charging the same price for a slightly slower crossover is going to be an issue.

C&D tested the volvo at 4.1 seconds which is approaching GT territory for the mach-e, and it's significantly better equipped with semi-autonomous driving, heated rear seats, better seats, better sound system, option for ventilated seats(super important to a lot of people I know), etc. It's just like a dozen details that generally separate a mainstream car with a luxury car.

I'm quite surprised Ford chose to equip the mach-e like a mustang rather than a lincoln. Even fully loaded that equipment list looks like a $40k Ford rather than a $60k car.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 3, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Apparently all 2200 Polestar 2 delivered so far have been recalled due to some allegedly irrecoverably bricking themselves while driving.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/polestar-recall/geelys-ev-maker-polestar-recalls-all-new-polestar-2-sedans-swedish-daily-di-idUSKBN26O078

https://insideevs.com/news/447089/all-2200-polestar-2-delivered-recalled/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

C&D tested the volvo at 4.1 seconds which is approaching GT territory for the mach-e, and it's significantly better equipped with semi-autonomous driving, heated rear seats, better seats, better sound system, option for ventilated seats(super important to a lot of people I know), etc. It's just like a dozen details that generally separate a mainstream car with a luxury car.

I'm quite surprised Ford chose to equip the mach-e like a mustang rather than a lincoln. Even fully loaded that equipment list looks like a $40k Ford rather than a $60k car.

PilotAssist and CoPilot 360 are basically equivalent. Both allow hands free driving on some highways.

The Mach E has a Bang & Olufsen sound system vs the Harman Kardon in the Polestar 2. Car audio is about a lot more than name brand but B&O is very common in luxury brands like Audi and Aston and is the premium option in many BMWs over the base HK system. Both are also owned by HK at this point.

As far as far as the 0-60 time, stated vs tested is often different and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Ford run faster than its stated time just like the Volvo. It’s down about 70 horsepower so it’ll certainly be slower, but it’ll still be plenty fast for everyday use and everyone who cares about going fast is buying the GT which will be in the mid 3s.

So yea, the Volvo is going to be a bit more pleasantly appointed (seat ventilation, heated tears) and the Mach E will have more usable space and exist in the form factor that most Americans prefer. I’d say it’s a wash, but honestly the Ford will outsell the polestar 2 substantially just for being a crossover.

The XC40 P8 is a more interesting comparison, except for the EPA range being significantly lower than the P2 and Mach E for some reason.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mustangs are done up in neon colors and get parked outside of nightclubs.

Volvos only come in silvers and browns and get parked at country clubs.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

We had been in line for a Polestar 2 but I cancelled our order a few days ago, right before this news hit. They were never going to be able to deliver the car in time and had already walked back a bunch of launch features to "maybe it will be OTA by next year", and this was just icing on the cake. Ended up picking a Model S out of local inventory instead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Speleothing posted:

Mustangs are done up in neon colors and get parked outside of nightclubs.

Volvos only come in silvers and browns and get parked at country clubs.

You can only order mach es in normal muted colors at the moment and it’s bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

chutwig posted:

We had been in line for a Polestar 2 but I cancelled our order a few days ago, right before this news hit. They were never going to be able to deliver the car in time and had already walked back a bunch of launch features to "maybe it will be OTA by next year", and this was just icing on the cake. Ended up picking a Model S out of local inventory instead.

Welcome to the dark side, we have superchargers