Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

... is it actually possible to ‘fail’ this kind of training session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Angepain posted:

He even briefly mentioned the idea of it being bad to be cruel to human beings before getting back on track and focussing on the important part about how much money the misery hell camps would cost the taxpayer.

So it is this sketch, but in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

BalloonFish posted:

And when you break the vote down by age group:

https://twitter.com/adrianongaming/status/1311335355363348481

Quelle surprise!

Seriously - every single bad, hate-filled, fear-driven, myopic, small-minded, petty, reactionary, discriminatory, short-term non-solution idea (otherwise known as 'The Conservative Party Manifesto'), it goes "18-65: Small minority supporting", "65+: Massive majority supporting". The only exception I can think of is the EU Referendum, which was a bit more of a straight line on the age/Leave releationship.

I know we joke about lead-in-the-brain, but why are pensioners collectively such angry, spiteful old fuckers? Insulated from the effects of their decisions (or politics in general)? Reliant on traditional media? The education they got - level, style and content? Just from the 'other side' of the trend for more accepting social views over the decades? All of the above?

I'm guessing that a small but measurable amount of those disapproving are doing so on the basis that Patel didn't propose repurposing defunct north sea oil rigs instead.

minema
May 31, 2011
What would everyone's choice of radio station be while commuting considering DAB isn't available in my car, I don't have an aux port and I binned all my CDs years ago. I hate adverts so currently listen to radio 2 but at 28 I think I'm definitely too young for it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

minema posted:

What would everyone's choice of radio station be while commuting considering DAB isn't available in my car, I don't have an aux port and I binned all my CDs years ago. I hate adverts so currently listen to radio 2 but at 28 I think I'm definitely too young for it.
Podcasts and Spotify really. Can't stand the radio.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

god it feels like it's been fuckin ages, i didn't notice you were still posting here - it's really nice to see you dude! how are you doing?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

minema posted:

you could just get a tiny bluetooth fm transmitter for the car for a fiver, then you can listen to whatever on your phone

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

minema posted:

Buy a £10 bluetooth fm transmitter off Amazon (or ethical store of your choice) and then:

Gorn Myson posted:

Podcasts and Spotify really. Can't stand the radio.

minema
May 31, 2011
So a Bluetooth fm transmitter just plugs into your charger and you can connect the radio to it?! I assumed I'd need an aux port to connect my phone this changes everything! I've got so many audiobooks to catch up on.

Also related funny story, when I crashed my car last year on ice I ended up upside down hanging by my seat belt and the car was obviously hosed but the radio was still working and Steve Wright had just come on and I distinctly remember thinking "I hope I don't have to be cut out of the car because I can't listen to Steve Wright for that long without going mad". Luckily my window also still worked and I could crawl out but in retrospect it makes me laugh that that was my biggest concern

minema fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 30, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Noxville posted:

I doubt it. The point of it is to tell you where your subconscious biases lie. I did a few tests like this recently - they basically get you to associate pictures of people of different races and genders with words of a certain category.

For example, one common bias is to associate women with "family" and men with "work". You're told to do it the biased way, then the opposite. If you're notably more hesitant to associate men with family and women with work than the other way round, you have a subconscious bias.

So it's not really something you fail - it's there to give you useful information.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

minema posted:

God, nightmare. Couldn't hack that. If I had no blank CDs I'd have to race to HMV to buy SOMETHING to play. The radio is so rotten outside of 6 Music.

I dunno, Radio 4 probably even though itd be infuriating

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009

Noxville posted:

If it's anything like the civil service learning for it, no. Basically read a 12 page power point then answer 10 questions about it. Certainly not noteworthy.

Edit: Also I just wanted to add for anyone who may be interested in that conspiracy tweet thread regarding postal votes that was quoted a couple pages back. Part of my work covers postal voting and I can confirm the person tweeting has some misconceptions about what happens with those votes.

Ghosts Love Wubs fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 30, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Noxville posted:

I'm assuming he just did the civil service training package on this which is... not hard. Bunch of basically power point slides and a handful of questions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Radio sucks, podcasts are the only way to commute

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

minema posted:

National radio is absolute dogshit, as people have said find some way to get bluetooth to your speakers to listen to podcasts and music from your phone.

Just an example, don't know if it specifically is any good, but you can use stuff like this in even crazy old cars https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...1XJYFBQKHQ29B1M to brute force bluetooth or in any car less than 20 years old just replace the car stereo with something modern, you'll have to use 2 pairs of tweezers to get the old stereo box out but the boxes can just be swapped, the speakers are built into the car. Check your speaker slot is the right size before buying but a cheap new car stereo with aux input is ~£35, a bluetooth enabled one is ~£70.

Even if you just sit something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Soun...01503661&sr=8-9 on top of something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-slip-...1503744&sr=8-11 on your dashboard that's still a much better option than suffering the dirge that is radio.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

minema posted:

Can you get Radio 4 Extra on your car radio? It has old Radio 4 shows and no press releases from Tory HQ news.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm guessing that a small but measurable amount of those disapproving are doing so on the basis that Patel didn't propose repurposing defunct north sea oil rigs instead.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1311417822988431360?s=21

Eh, close enough.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why do asylum seekers need to be off the mainland?

I mean I know the answer to that, but what's the answer they're telling everyone?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Noxville posted:

On Monday this week we had a session of it, that white fragility book was literally quoted on two of the powerpoint slides, three of us apparently have failed it as we've been invited for further training and the CCing wasn't hidden.

One is an older guy I don't know at all and wasn't in his session so maybe he actually was awful, but the other two are me and an actual friend workmate that is also the only non-white person on our floor and she's actively looking forward to going full dirtbag in our remedial idiots extra session.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, Radio 4 probably even though itd be infuriating

can confirm

Classic FM is OK if you can ignore the adverts and the presenters

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Given the poo poo tweets everyone loves to post in here, jeremy vine on radio 2 is very on brand.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

On Monday this week we had a session of it, that white fragility book was literally quoted on two of the powerpoint slides, three of us apparently have failed it as we've been invited for further training and the CCing wasn't hidden.

One is an older guy I don't know at all and wasn't in his session so maybe he actually was awful, but the other two are me and an actual friend workmate that is also the only non-white person on our floor and she's actively looking forward to going full dirtbag in our remedial idiots extra session.

Sounds like it's one of those "nod and tick the boxes" teaching sessions, where any sort of critical thinking or challenging of what's put forward triggers the "independent thought" alarm.

Part of the reason I actively refuse to do PREVENT training.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I mean I know the answer to that, but what's the answer they're telling everyone?

Presumably it's "if they're on the mainland they might flee".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

Presumably it's "if they're on the mainland they might flee".

Maybe we should make the mainland more appealing if we want them to stay?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wasn't this a thing with prisons in the 18 century, you know the thing that was too cruel for loving Victorians of all people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is, or was, a thing for the navy too, possibly to stop press ganged sailors escaping and possibly just because they're weird.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Broke:

Sounds like the contemporary Australians have the right of it, let's discuss implementing some offshore camps ourselves.

Woke:

Perhaps having a look at how Victorian workhouses worked would be good for inspiration?

Bespoke:

quote:

Parliament initially intended to use the hulks as a temporary measure and so the first authorization, in 1776, for their use was only for two years. Although some Members of Parliament deplored the hulks the 1776 Act lasted for 80 years. Parliament regularly renewed the Act and even extended its scope "for the more severe and effectual punishment of atrocious and daring offenders". The American Revolutionary War, the French Revolutionary Wars, and the Napoleonic Wars resulted in the availability of superannuated vessels suitable for conversion to prison hulks. Ships-of-the-line were particularly suitable because of their size; in active service they had accommodation for hundreds of crewmen.

Hulks ceased to be used in Great Britain on the final expiry of the Act in 1857.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pretty sure the Ascension Island reporting was all about them doing that thing where initially they float an unbelievably ludicrous idea, so when they subsequently introduce the merely extremely ludicrous idea that they actually want to do, it seems more moderate by comparison.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The weird thing is that, like, jersey exists if you want an island to build your death camps on?

Or the isle of wight, which would hopefully at least spare SMGT some grief.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

minema posted:

So a Bluetooth fm transmitter just plugs into your charger and you can connect the radio to it?! I assumed I'd need an aux port to connect my phone this changes everything! I've got so many audiobooks to catch up on.

I need to get one of these. I have a model that connects to my phones audio jack and those things never last, always break inside near the plug itself. Bluetooth model wouldn't have those issues.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

god it feels like it's been fuckin ages, i didn't notice you were still posting here - it's really nice to see you dude! how are you doing?

Cheers friend. I dont really post super much on this entire forum outside of the cycling thread anymore, theres really not much left on here now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The weird thing is that, like, jersey exists if you want an island to build your death camps on?

Death camps still need printers.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OwlFancier posted:

Isle of Wight is close enough that people on the mainland (“real people”) would hear the screams and see the flags waving.

I mean it happens now and people ignore it, but that’s just islanders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

y = gently caress^x

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

minema posted:

Radio 3.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Why bother supplying an answer at all? Nobody's gonna be asking the question who they think matters.

But if anyone does, the answer is probably "there's not enough spaaaaaaace".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

Broke:

Sounds like the contemporary Australians have the right of it, let's discuss implementing some offshore camps ourselves.

Woke:

Perhaps having a look at how Victorian workhouses worked would be good for inspiration?

Bespoke:

Oh, we've had prison ships a little more recently than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Weare posted:

The UK established HMP Weare in 1997 as a temporary measure to ease prison overcrowding, and after a formal planning application was agreed the Bibby Resolution, now HMP Weare, was brought from New York. Weare was docked at the disused Royal Navy dockyard at the Isle of Portland. The ship went on to hold 400 prisoners (as of June 2004) who were mainly at the end of their prison sentence.[8] The ship had a five-storied cell block.[9]

On 9 March 2005, it was announced that the Weare was to close, mainly due to costly running, being unnecessary and the cost of millions of pounds in order to refurbish it.[10] The prison briefly closed in 2005 and was reopened a few months later for a short period. Not long after, the prison closed permanently and sold.[12] In 2006, the ship was sold off after conditions on board were criticised by the Chief Inspector for Prisoners Anne Owers. The chief complained that the inmates had no exercise and no access to fresh air, also stating the ship was "unsuitable, expensive and in the wrong place".[13]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blairite prison ships definitely suggests keir will support the tories in their (hms) endeavour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another episode of 'Why do anglos?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently Jezza went to a dinner party with 7 other people :(
I did a reverse image search hoping to prove it was fake but it doesn't seem to be.
Now my right wing "chums" are gleefully sharing it on FB, going on about Diane Abbott doing the counting, and how Jezza should get a huge fine.
F*kn hell.
I'm pretending I haven't seen their posts (which fortunately with FB is quite possible).

Here's an article in the Indie about it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-rule-six-dinner-party-coronavirus-labour-boris-johnson-b735766.html

The pic of everyone round the table they're all sharing is in The Sun. So I'm not sharing that.