Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, the update for Legacy of the Duelist is garbage on Switch as the AI takes forever to make a turn...and it outright just pauses in VRAINS levels.

This doesn't seem to happen on PC/PS4/Xbox? Can anyone confirm because I don't want to re-buy the game and it's got the same issues..

Is there an update like, today? Because Ive been playing it all week and it seems perfectly fine on switch (And quite a lot prior to the big patch) with no major issues. Im at Arc V so I can check in a little bit to see if VRAINS has unique problems

Its so far my favorite single player card game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh, you convince Pegasus to have Bandit Keith to shoot himself with his own hand in that case, because Bandit Keith is a real scumbag cheater.

I'm pretty sure the actual answer is that you're Joey and so your deck is just unfortunate trash unless you luck into one of his actual combos.

An actual funny thing in the game is the Yugi vs Kaiba duel early on is coded to give you Exodia if you hold out a few turns, but is not coded to do so for the AI Yugi in reverse mode.

Ah that's disappointing, I thought it was cool flavor that I won with exodia

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I talk my friends into buying copies of the game is that draft feature competitive or against ai?

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Discord link is dead, it seems.

I think at some point I should mess about with YGOPro and try out different Megalith combinations - like a Hungry Burger turbo :burger:

Also managed to snag some Rise of the Duelist packs today and got two copies of Phul, which makes them infinitely more playable, as they can now ritual summon more Megaliths from the Main Deck on anyone's turn.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
https://discord.gg/tkE6pJQ

This will not expire.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If you’re interested in Ritual summoning, you should check out the upcoming Draiton archetype.

https://ygorganization.com/soiguessthisisreimaginedkaisermangadeck/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Barudak posted:

Is there an update like, today? Because Ive been playing it all week and it seems perfectly fine on switch (And quite a lot prior to the big patch) with no major issues. Im at Arc V so I can check in a little bit to see if VRAINS has unique problems

Its so far my favorite single player card game ever

Wait weren't you a mod at one point or am I just losing it?

Also I mean since the big update. I have it on Switch and it's super slow on VRAINS. :/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Don't remember any updates, as far as I can tell there basically hasn't been any since the PS4 launch

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

If you’re interested in Ritual summoning, you should check out the upcoming Draiton archetype.

https://ygorganization.com/soiguessthisisreimaginedkaisermangadeck/

Yeah, it's definitely interesting. Using attack points to ritual summon instead of levels is very interesting, I feel like certain parts of the Draitron engine will become ritual standard eventually; the field spell, counter trap, and ritual spell will for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait weren't you a mod at one point or am I just losing it?

Also I mean since the big update. I have it on Switch and it's super slow on VRAINS. :/

I was a mod up until June, you aren't crazy.

I haven't reached VRAINS yet but everything else runs fine with my major complaint being Ive just now realized how darn dirty yugioh does its female characters and that I hate prediction princess tarotei more than any other card I've ever seen in this game even if there are like 4 different cards that basically just shut off its gimmick

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 2, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barudak posted:

my major complaint being Ive just now realized how darn dirty yugioh does its female characters

The most striking part of watching through Yu-Gi-Oh now (just hit the end of GX season 1) is that in the original series, you can tell what arcs are filler arcs and which are in the manga entirely by how much agency the female characters get. If you can summarize a story, and that summary includes female characters in any context that is not 'Mai loses', you are watching a filler arc. I'd never seen GX before, but the fact that they immediately put Alexis in the cast and had her be in some way relevant to stories in ways besides 'lose or cheer from the sidelines' is probably the most striking improvement the show has over the original series.

In talking about the TCG, though: I've started getting some cards in hopes of getting into playing at local stores once Melbourne is out of lockdown enough that they're open (and hopefully still there). I've started with a Shaddoll deck and the 2020 mega-tin, but I've realized I get excited about types of cards I didn't actually think about before now.

What sorts of cards/archetypes/decks should I look into if I'm really interested in effects that really heavily lock down or control what my opponent can do, rather than directly deal damage? Because out of all the cards I got in the mega-tin, some of which I'm sure are good offensively-oriented cards, the ones I got most excited about were Witch's Strike and Unchained Abomination. I want more of that style of thing.

I know Shaddoll has a bit of that going on, so I apparently picked well there, but I'm sure there's something more suited around. And I know about Mystic Mine, but I think it's for the best for everyone that I don't have any copies of it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 11, 2020

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Imo, yugioh is the most fun when there is interactivity. Floodgates remove interactivity and therefore remove fun. Shaddolls have Winda, which is a good card to limit what your opponent can do. My favourite floodgate is Heat Wave but im a weirdo that likes vanilla monsters.

Witch's Strike is pretty slow, modern tier 1 decks are probably just going to shut you down with a negate board of savage borrelload synchro, herald of the arc light, apollousa, etc, so you'll just get WS negated anyway. Better off running a solemn judgement of you're going to run a non archetypal trap.

I cannot recommend watching a few decent Yugitubers and seeing how modern players. MBT, while not the greatest player, does a good job explaining what decks and cards do and shows how the decks interact with both casual and meta decks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I can tell Witch's Strike is likely too unreliable to be good. It's the kind of card that'll work one time in a hundred, but feels really good when it does, since your opponent will basically never come back from that. At the very least Unchained Abomination seems like he's a pretty good, active kind of shutdown (more fun than the 'you just don't get to do these things' kinds of floodgates in my book) that can fit into decks easily.

I'll try to look more into Youtubers, I've generally been impressed by what I've seen, but I've mostly seen more retrospective stuff than current.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i was reading the yugioh wiki the other day (this is a cry for help) and apparently Romin is noteworthy in that she is the first female character to beat a main-cast male character in a duel in which he doesn't misplay

the anime has been going on for more than 20 years and this is the first instance of this happening

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, Duel Links has Cowboy in literally the first wave of XYZ monsters. Who's ready for cowboyforgame.dek? Even without a Main 2, it'd be easy to get two Cowboys on board turn 1, that's 1600 right there. Survive until your next turn and you're an Ookazi away from winning.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 30, 2020

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Except they cut the damage of every burn card from this set onwards in half (+ nerfed lava golem in the same way) so gagaga cowboy only does 400.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skeleton Mom posted:

Except they cut the damage of every burn card from this set onwards in half (+ nerfed lava golem in the same way) so gagaga cowboy only does 400.
Did they really? Huh, I’ll be damned. Never mind.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It resulted in some cards having pretty awkward text on them:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've only had access to the Zexal world in Duel Links for a day, and I already can't stand Yuma, from his design, to his dumb catchphrase, but especially his godawful voice. Is this normal?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

W.T. Fits posted:

I've only had access to the Zexal world in Duel Links for a day, and I already can't stand Yuma, from his design, to his dumb catchphrase, but especially his godawful voice. Is this normal?

Zexal is hot, hot garbage, and Yuma is probably actively the worst Yugioh protagonist, so yeah, I'd say it's normal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

This makes me want to fire up Duel Links and see how bad it is... I stopped watching Zexal long, long before it got dubbed...it was annoying in the original too.

I wonder how decent my Yubel deck would do... Yubel + the Phoenixes was such a fun combo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zexal is great and Yuma is a fun protagonist. :colbert: The series just has a really slow start to it and takes a while to get moving.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vandar posted:

Zexal is great and Yuma is a fun protagonist. :colbert: The series just has a really slow start to it and takes a while to get moving.

Is it as bad a start as Yu-Gi-Oh GX not even bothering to have a plot for about half the first season?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Is it as bad a start as Yu-Gi-Oh GX not even bothering to have a plot for about half the first season?

Well, start with a main cast who are mostly annoying one-note stereotypes, then add in a plot that takes a while to get started and also just generally kinda sucks. The main villains, and also ZEXAL (which is a dumb fusion form that changes the contents of Yuma's deck) cheat relentlessly, and not in a fun way like Yugi's cheating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love that early Duel Monsters was pretty much just Calvinball, and if you could make what you were doing sound remotely plausible, it flew. Then Kaiba took over, and it had to be a Real Game so that he could be The Best at it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vandar posted:

Zexal is great and Yuma is a fun protagonist. :colbert:

His English voice actor in Duel Links is literally the worst voice I've ever heard in this franchise.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

W.T. Fits posted:

His English voice actor in Duel Links is literally the worst voice I've ever heard in this franchise.

Yes his dub voice is nails on chalkboard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So kind of a SUPER beginner question, but would it be a good idea to go in on a booster set not because of its actual focus, but more just to fill out my general options?

I'm considering putting aside some money for Phantom Rage not because of the actual focus cards (I'm sure the Phantom Knights are nice), but just to start building up a foundation of generally decent cards. I've realized that right now I basically can't build a deck that isn't Shaddolls because their deck is absurdly specific, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a general card pool going so that the notion of building any other deck doesn't have to start from literal nothing. I have other cards, I'd love to entertain the notion of using them!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

So kind of a SUPER beginner question, but would it be a good idea to go in on a booster set not because of its actual focus, but more just to fill out my general options?

I'm considering putting aside some money for Phantom Rage not because of the actual focus cards (I'm sure the Phantom Knights are nice), but just to start building up a foundation of generally decent cards. I've realized that right now I basically can't build a deck that isn't Shaddolls because their deck is absurdly specific, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a general card pool going so that the notion of building any other deck doesn't have to start from literal nothing. I have other cards, I'd love to entertain the notion of using them!

It probably wouldn’t be that useful, no. Yugioh cards can be very specific for what decks they’re useful in. I’d recommend finding an archetype you’re interested in playing and building from their, not necessarily trying to get generic “useful” cards, although I understand you don’t want to start from zero. Thankfully, if you pick a deck that isn’t too popular, it shouldn’t get too expensive.

“Absurdly specific” is unfortunately often the name of the game in Yugioh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also it can't hurt to go out of your way to pick up some cheap, generic extra deck staple cards, and if you can pick them up for cheap get three deck devestator sets to pick up playsets of a bunch of staple spells, traps, and handtrap monsters. You'll still need to shill out for some other staples that haven't been reprinted much, but buying singles is your best bet to fill out the gaps of what you need.

And yeah it's best to have a specific deck in mind and work on getting the pieces for that specific deck. Feel free to look at winning tournament builds that have seen success and using those as a skeleton to start your deck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Thanks, that's not exactly the answer I wanted, but it is one. I'm Australian, the singles market here isn't exactly the strongest thing.

I think I'll try to bolt together a Tenyi or Witchcrafter deck, as much to see what the experience is as to actually have the deck. I've already got a handful of cards for each them from the mega-tin that at least look useful, so I'm not starting from absolutely nothing. My only other idea was to find an archetype that works well when combined with Shaddolls (I guess invoked or spellbooks?), then in the future get an archetype that works with them and eventually daisy-chain my way to an effective collection solely through hybrids.

Or to just try to build outwards from Unchained Abomination. That poo poo's hilarious when I try it on YGOPro, I love a good card-eater, but unfortunately Shaddolls works pretty bad with it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Invoked works well with shaddolls yeah. Spell books not so much. And for reference, a lot of people that play competitively, will be willing to sell off/trade the parts of a deck they no longer feel like playing to get parts for a new deck, which helps keeps down the costs of total investment/you basically pay for the staples, but otherwise can exchange out one deck engine for another engine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I find Yuma's dub voice fine at least in Duel Links. It helps he has Astral with him which brings a bunch of funny dialogue just Yuma alone wouldn't have.

"Yeah, I'm gonna win!" "Pleaaaaase don't choke."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

Thanks, that's not exactly the answer I wanted, but it is one. I'm Australian, the singles market here isn't exactly the strongest thing.

I think I'll try to bolt together a Tenyi or Witchcrafter deck, as much to see what the experience is as to actually have the deck. I've already got a handful of cards for each them from the mega-tin that at least look useful, so I'm not starting from absolutely nothing. My only other idea was to find an archetype that works well when combined with Shaddolls (I guess invoked or spellbooks?), then in the future get an archetype that works with them and eventually daisy-chain my way to an effective collection solely through hybrids.

Or to just try to build outwards from Unchained Abomination. That poo poo's hilarious when I try it on YGOPro, I love a good card-eater, but unfortunately Shaddolls works pretty bad with it.

Tenyi is super fun, I highly recommend it. Make sure to get Mare Mare if you’re running Tenyi, it lets you do some nonsense

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Cleretic posted:

Aight, so if you wanna do Dolls, I'd definitely say pick up three of the structure decks if you didn't already have them, as that's like, 95% of what's in most typical Doll decks. There's like Shaddoll Schism from Rise of the Duelist, but that's fairly cheap to grab.

As mentioned above, Invoked Dolls are pretty dece, they were fairly meta for a bit before Covid, but kinda got powercrept compared to like, the top meta stuff. Still worth grabbing if you do locals, though. Both the Aleister link and Invocation are still like, $20 USD+, though, so they're not really budget. However, I can't really see Konami limiting anything given how long they've been around for, so maybe a good pickup if that's how you wanna go.

Tenyi... They don't really use their normal summon, so Invoked Tenyi could be a thing. However, they kinda bleed hand advantage and can't really run many of the good hand traps without nerfing their special summons. However, dropping a Lava Golem on the opponent, then Vishuda'ing it back to your hand to do it again is hilarious. The deck is pretty OK, but there's enough to keep it from hitting the top tiers right now. They are dummy cheap though, so they might be worth to pick up just to fart around with.

Witchcrafters are neat, but they definitely suffer from waifu tax price-wise, and they're not really too great even for all that. If you go with them, you're probably gonna take a few games just because people don't know what they do, but they're kinda underdeveloped right now.

Unchained are kinda low-key good, just underplayed. Don't know too much about them myself, but a couple of people in the Noble Knight discord are also in the Unchained discord, and replays can get kinda nutty. Abomination is also pretty good on its own, and they're also decently cheap, assuming you don't go for starlights.

In any case, I'mma pull a list of cheapish staple stuff I'd sent to another friend, that should be picked up while it's cheap:

Dinowrestler Pankratops
Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring
Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit
Psy-Framegear Gamma (and Psy-Frame Driver)
Effect Veiler
Nibiru, the Primal Being
Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju
Artifact Lancea

Twin Twisters
Cosmic Cyclone
Pot of Duality
Pot of Desires
Pot of Extravagance
Dark Ruler No More

Red Reboot
Evenly Matched

Borreload Dragon
Borreload Savage Dragon
Herald of the Arc Light
Evilswarm Exciton Knight
Utopia the Lightning
Apollousa, Bow of the Goddess
I:P Masquerena
Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax
Borrelsword Dragon
Crystron Halqifibrax
Linkross
Predaplant Verte Anaconda
Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon

A lot of that stuff is cheapish between various prints and reprints, maybe like $20 max per card, outside of Dark Dragoon. That boy's still $40ish, but it's also one of the most obnoxious cards in the game, so it's worth the pick up if you have the spare change.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I should clarify, I already have Shaddoll deck composed largely of three structure decks. It's a decent slow-paced thing, it's especially good at weathering a storm--pure Shaddoll doesn't really snowball, but it's hard to put completely on the back foot. The reason Tenyi, Witchcrafter and Unchained are on the radar is because I have some scraps for them from the 2020 mega-tin, but none of them really play well with Shaddolls.

By chance I ended up playing against a couple Invoked decks on YGOPro yesterday, including at least one Invoked Shaddoll deck. They sufficiently impressed/annoyed me, packing a lot of the 'oh god they just keep going' energy I like from Shaddolls but with a bit of the offensive power that they tend to lack, so I think that's where I'll start with things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Just want to post after going to my locals with a dumbshit experimental deck:

Myutants, the new TCG-exclusive archetype, I think have some real rogue deck potential with another wave of support; they've got some really interesting tools, especially from their big beaters (the fusion monsters and the level 8 monsters), but right now they just don't have an effective way to string them together. The level 8s can only be normal summoned or special summoned by Myutant cards, but as far as I can tell there's no way to special summon them except from banishment or the graveyard, so you have to get them there first.

I'm seeing potential in a Shaddoll/Myutant deck, though I'm still putting together what that could look like. Shaddoll's control can really slow an opponent down in a way Myutants can need, and Myutants provide some raw attack power that Shaddoll doesn't have.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The current metagame is very 'win the game going first' heavy at the moment (the most recent 215 player online YCS finals was a mirror between two Virtual World decks that resolved a VFD on turn 1 in 2/3 games and got Nibiru'd the third) so I think we need a pretty sweeping banlist before any new decks can take off :shrug:

smoke grenade and VFD are pretty safe bans but we'll see if they want to give up on trying to balance needlefiber or if they'll just torpedo the rest of dragonlink to keep it around. miscellaneosaurus should probably also go back to limited even if dinos aren't a 'win the game going first' deck. just bring everything down a notch to around prank-kids' level imo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I'm pretty sadly aware that the TCG meta right now is so absurdly fast that Myutants probably can't get an edge in. Part of why I mixed them with Shaddolls, who are one of the few decks right now with the capacity to tell the rest of the game 'sit still and shut up for a minute', even if they can't turn that into victory to the level they can in the OCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sadly aware that the TCG meta right now is so absurdly fast that Myutants probably can't get an edge in. Part of why I mixed them with Shaddolls, who are one of the few decks right now with the capacity to tell the rest of the game 'sit still and shut up for a minute', even if they can't turn that into victory to the level they can in the OCG.

The OCG banned almost all of the problem cards, including Dragoon, Elpy, and Halq.