Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

That statement is garbage. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in the U.S. but openly admitting fire and rehire decisions is unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Wow what an absolute rear end in a top hat move by Disney. Maybe I’m biased but I don’t see WDW pulling something like that based on how willing they’ve been to tell Desantis and his fellow trumpsuckers to go gently caress themselves regarding relaxing mask rules.

WDW is making enough money to get by, and can begin hosting conventions even if Disney/Reedy Creek will set safety standards for them. Disneyland earns very little hotel revenue, comparatively, as it only has three company-owned hotels and the city owns an adjacent convention center. On the other hand, Disneyland will have a poo poo-ton of money from Annual Passholders as soon as they can open even if they have state limits on how many of those passholders can go at once, so gently caress them anyhow.

On the other hand, Disneyland will eventually go on a hiring spree and since many of the jobs are union people will probably have everything they did before.

Dugong posted:

That statement is garbage. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in the U.S. but openly admitting fire and rehire decisions is unbelievable.

As a result of a law that requires companies give notification of a large number of layoffs, there was going to be some kind of statement and PR spin. They couldn't just do it without admission.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

lol @ this magical bootlicker on twitter.

I got curious and looked it up. Disney likes to keep about $4bn on hand and has god knows how much money in treasury stock - looks like about $95bn back in 2014, so its a practice they like. They'd take a stock price hit to sell a chunk of it, but a goodwill boost the size of Mickey's heart.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/gabriellerusson/status/1311308618281746432

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So most of the call center I bet.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

https://wdwnt.com/2020/09/walt-disney-world-provides-breakdown-of-non-union-cast-member-layoffs-and-departments-affected/

quote:

6,246 were listed at the address of Team Disney, suggesting that this will effect operational staff around the resort. 65 Cast Members will be let go from the resort’s offices in Celebration, which house the administration, marketing and finance departments. 49 layoffs come from Orlando International Airport, which could include Disney’s Magical Express and the Magic of Disney shop. Creative Costuming will face 22 layoffs, and 8 were listed as coming from a building near the Central Reservations offices.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/insidethemagic/status/1311419386406805505?s=21

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no, no the Imagineers(tm)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you're concerned about the people in Central Florida who've been impacted by these layoffs, Tom and Sarah Bricker of Disney Tourist Blog have put together a list of places to donate to, including their own virtual food drive for Second Harvest: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/donations-food-banks-charities-disney-world/

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

My old office was in Team Disney, and I’ve probably got 4 or 5 friends affected so far. Almost all of them in the tours office.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Adventures By Disney (slapping mouse ears on typical travel agency tour guide stuff) seems like easy pickings to me. They’re basically just trying to grab money from people who are tired of/disinterested in the theme parks at that point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I thought there were like 10 of those, not hundreds???

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Adventures By Disney (slapping mouse ears on typical travel agency tour guide stuff) seems like easy pickings to me. They’re basically just trying to grab money from people who are tired of/disinterested in the theme parks at that point.

My impression from what I've watched is that its more of a high-end guided tour that takes care of literally everything with small group. My wife oohed and aahed at the slick marketing videos, but I didn't get the impression that they were just a tour agency after seeing the packages starting at $15k for overseas trips. basically plaid jackets taking care of everything/greasing the wheels anywhere you wanna go. Would love to hear any first hard experiences that aren't through the Disney filter.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I thought there were like 10 of those, not hundreds???

I'm thinking they just call contractors that, or like in the video game business they hire up for big projects then there are massive lay offs after the projects are finishing/finished/canceled.

I could have sworn there is always a round of firings for Imagineers everytime a project completes.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

KabukiJoe posted:

My impression from what I've watched is that its more of a high-end guided tour that takes care of literally everything with small group. My wife oohed and aahed at the slick marketing videos, but I didn't get the impression that they were just a tour agency after seeing the packages starting at $15k for overseas trips. basically plaid jackets taking care of everything/greasing the wheels anywhere you wanna go. Would love to hear any first hard experiences that aren't through the Disney filter.

This is what it is. It's guided tours, but luxury guided tours. It's small groups, with Disney handling literally every aspect of it. They provide local guides to walk you through activities, plus when you go to popular tourist places, Adventures By Disney groups get priority. All the entrance fees and stuff are covered by your initial package price so you don't have to pay extra for that. So yeah, it's a guided tour, but it's like you just show up and you don't have to think or worry about anything except having a good time. It's something I desperately want to do one day.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Braksgirl posted:

This is what it is. It's guided tours, but luxury guided tours. It's small groups, with Disney handling literally every aspect of it. They provide local guides to walk you through activities, plus when you go to popular tourist places, Adventures By Disney groups get priority. All the entrance fees and stuff are covered by your initial package price so you don't have to pay extra for that. So yeah, it's a guided tour, but it's like you just show up and you don't have to think or worry about anything except having a good time. It's something I desperately want to do one day.

I’ve looked at it a few times and even with cast members discount it’s pricey but I’m at the stage of life where I might pay for the luxury experience.

Edit: by luxury I mean not having to think about planning and scheduling everything.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 1, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

tomapot posted:

I’ve looked at it a few times and even with cast members discount it’s pricey but I’m at the stage of life where I might pay for the luxury experience.

Edit: by luxury I mean not having to think about planning and scheduling everything.

It's luxury in every sense though, from what I understand. They put you up in the best hotels and stuff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AbD is incredibly luxury and you're paying for it, but like Braks said: it's well worth if you can afford it. I did a short one and it sort of broke my mind how easy everything was and how accepting they were if you had to duck out of an activity because you weren't feeling well.

(before someone else snoots about my finances, I didn't pay for it. The travel agency did so we could all talk about it first-hand)

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

AbD is incredibly luxury and you're paying for it, but like Braks said: it's well worth if you can afford it. I did a short one and it sort of broke my mind how easy everything was and how accepting they were if you had to duck out of an activity because you weren't feeling well.

(before someone else snoots about my finances, I didn't pay for it. The travel agency did so we could all talk about it first-hand)

I think the key here is that these folks are not "just travel agents", and its a subsection of a subsection of people who are likely affording Disney regularly AND going on other high-end vacations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

KabukiJoe posted:

I think the key here is that these folks are not "just travel agents", and its a subsection of a subsection of people who are likely affording Disney regularly AND going on other high-end vacations.

Yeah, so? I don't understand the point here. So rich people can afford high end vacations. This isn't news.

Is it because they aren't laying off the CMs here? Because if it's making money in a way that the parks can't, why would they lay off these workers?

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, so? I don't understand the point here. So rich people can afford high end vacations. This isn't news.

Is it because they aren't laying off the CMs here? Because if it's making money in a way that the parks can't, why would they lay off these workers?

Should have bolded my response, but I was responding to "(before someone else snoots about my finances, I didn't pay for it. The travel agency did so we could all talk about it first-hand)". Theyre providing a high-end, presumably profitable service to a market segment that has not been affected as much by everything going on that I am very surprised Disney would eliminate. And I want to do it someday.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

After finally going to universal studios Florida, half the rides are great and the other half are lovely clones of said good rides, sometimes they swap an ape for Vin Diesel

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the NBA experience is probably dead

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

tomapot posted:

If you don't have ethical reservations about such a thing, if you want a similar experience without the Disney price or special sheen, look on Groupon getaways for Chinese tours once the world goes sane again. You can very easily find tours for, like, $1,000 a person for >1 week, air included. Local guides, maybe half of the excursions included. If you want to pay for extra stuff, you can do so easily ahead of time, and there's no pressure to do everything with the group (we ducked out of some or other show to spend a day bumming around Beijing). I took one a while back and the hotels were top notch - we stayed at the China World Hotel while were in Beijing - all the experiences were there waiting for us. It was really great.

At one point I asked one of our guides how all this was possible for what we paid and his answer was obvious in hindsight; the Party heavily subsidizes tour agencies that cater to foreigners in order to promote the country abroad. Like I said, if you're okay with the ethics of seeing China on the Party's dime, it's a good way to get a curated, zero stress experience.

EDIT: I looked it up and it was 10 nights, 4 cities, about $2100 for two people after paying for extras and for a Visa application service so I didn't have to stress about dealing with the Chinese consulate personally. It's all very much something I think the average goon would scoff at, but we take Disney trips and cruises in this thread, lol.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 1, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Looks like the NBA experience is probably dead

Did it even live?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Junkie Disease posted:

After finally going to universal studios Florida, half the rides are great and the other half are lovely clones of said good rides, sometimes they swap an ape for Vin Diesel

Always makes me giggle that the vehicles for Spider-Man and Transformers are literally exactly identical.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Did it even live?

I feel awful for the workers but they just didn't seem to gain any traction with it. Every video I saw seemed underwhelming as hell.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Did it even live?

We went last November, the store Is great but it’s expensive as hell to get in and do the activities. Niche things like that don’t seem to last very long. Agreed it sucks for the employees though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Even without COVID, there’s no way it was going to survive long term. Not enough people care about the NBA, and visit Orlando, and would then spend a day at the NBA experience AND (most importantly) would then care enough to return on future trips.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I wonder what Disney is going to do with the building now? Gut the NBA stuff and hope that they can lease it out to someone? Try to rebuild it into a new Disney attraction? Diversify and try to make it The ESPN Experience with numerous sport exhibits?

To be fair, most of what I heard about the NBA experience sounded like a lot of throwing basketballs at hoops, and comparing yourself to professionals. And as someone who hasn't really had interest in Basketball much at all, I feel no draw to go other than general curiosity of what's behind those doors. And getting me to pay to go in would be nearly impossible. The only way I could see myself going in is if it were part of the water park ticket upgrades.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hazo posted:

Always makes me giggle that the vehicles for Spider-Man and Transformers are literally exactly identical.

I loved Spiderman, transformers is true to the barf films

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Disney Quest 2.0. Do it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I actually just checked Disney+ to see if they removed the One Day at Disney shorts. Wonder how many of those folks were laid off?

Either way, all the layoff news is awful. I especially hate it for the folks who held out on furlough hoping to come back.

In other news, Disney Cruise Line is cancelled well into December. I have a cruise booked for January but I'm probably rescheduling that till much later in the year.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Doronin posted:

In other news, Disney Cruise Line is cancelled well into December. I have a cruise booked for January but I'm probably rescheduling that till much later in the year.

Hoping and praying that my Alaskan cruise next september will happen.

Also, this is topical for our thread given velocicoaster and all https://mobile.twitter.com/brittashipsit/status/1311915887272890368

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/1296543791239893007

rip to all the 28k let go but the execs need it more

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

His face is very unsettling.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
WDWNT is the sort of toxic fan site that’s super wrapped up in company politics in ways that is very consistent with the worst corners of the fandom, which is the core of many reasons why I unsubscribed a long time ago.

They use Creepy Chapek Photo anywhere they can, including their 404 page like some kind of weird korn.jpg.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I need some advice...

I have a FL resident Platinum Plus AP that expires on 11/7 (haven't used it since early March). My mom and sister are coming and they want to do three park days, starting 11/8. Our original plan was to let our passes expire and get the FL resident tickets for those three days for $174, and then wait until passes come back to decide what to do. However, people with cancelled or expired APs can now purchase new ones. I also have the option of renewing at a lower pass tier if I want (i.e. Gold). It's slightly complicated by the fact that 11/8 is Hollywood Studios day, which has reservation availability for ticket holders but not AP holders

Option 1: Let AP expire, purchase three day ticket ($174), pay for parking ($25x3). Can go to HS
Option 2: Renew with the Gold pass. Cannot go to HS, but parking is covered
Option 3: Purchase three-day ticket, then use the value to purchase new AP. Risky, as no one knows if that still works, or the timing around getting the new AP - I've heard it's more of an application, not a straight purchase right now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tiki topic: Latitude 29 reopened today. Beachbum is here and came and chatted with our table for a bit. Gave me his card too. Nice dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wish I could find a video but I just saw a clip of the Beast’s resurrection scene on the Tokyo B&tB ride and I’m convinced the devil is involved because holy gently caress